Expect a different look to 2014 Idzik draft

SouthernJet

Idzik came to Jets a few weeks before 2013 draft. He had to use all of Tannebaums scouts data/input.

Scouts are told by GMs the type of player they want to a) be as a person and B) a sa player to fit system.

So 2013 data was basically Tannys data / philosopy. I think Idzik did pretty good w/2013 draft with little prep time and not using 'his guys data'.

As we know, Idzik fired almost all the Jets scouts after the draft. He has now had a full year with HIS scouts scouring nation garnering data based on HIS philosophy/mindset.

Lets see what he does with his scouts and his years worth of data thats relevant to him.

Bet he pulls the trigger on a late rd QB sleeper with good intangibles like Wilson. Develop him for a couple of years like the Pats do.

agree, and this guy had great 2012 season, was hurt in summer camp (ankle)  and had off year (bad ankle messed up throwing motion a tad) until finally injured halfway thru season. Was projected bottom 1st/2nd and base don 2013 season could easily drop to 3rd/4th:

North Carolina’s Bryn Renner shines at Manning Passing Academy

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 15, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
brynrenner-e1373918309548.jpg?w=245AP

Johnny Manziel’s case of dehydration got most of the attention at last weekend’s Manning Passing Academy. But while Manziel was leaving early, North Carolina quarterback Bryn Renner was impressing people with his on-field performance.

The Manning Passing Academy is a high school football camp, but it also functions as something of an early pro day for college quarterbacks, who take the field for passing drills that give NFL personnel people an early impression of their passing skills. And Renner showed off a particularly good arm, according to Mike Mayock of NFL Network.

“As far as the quarterbacks, the seniors, Bryn Renner from North Carolina, I thought he probably was the most polished of all the quarterbacks I saw,” Mayock said. “Great feet, bigger kid than I thought — 6-3, 220 — ball comes out beautifully.”

Mayock noted that Renner’s dad, former Packers punter Bill Renner, is respected as a coach of young players, and Renner looks like he’s been well coached for years.

“His father is a highly recognized high school coach, so it doesn’t surprise me that he’s so polished,” Mayock said.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone if Renner — who completed 65.4 percent of his passes and threw 28 touchdowns and seven interceptions last season — is a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

agree, and this guy had great 2012 season, was hurt in summer camp (ankle)  and had off year (bad ankle messed up throwing motion a tad) until finally injured halfway thru season. Was projected bottom 1st/2nd and base don 2013 season could easily drop to 3rd/4th:

Johnny Manziel’s case of dehydration got most of the attention at last weekend’s Manning Passing Academy. But while Manziel was leaving early, North Carolina quarterback Bryn Renner was impressing people with his on-field performance.

The Manning Passing Academy is a high school football camp, but it also functions as something of an early pro day for college quarterbacks, who take the field for passing drills that give NFL personnel people an early impression of their passing skills. And Renner showed off a particularly good arm, according to Mike Mayock of NFL Network.

“As far as the quarterbacks, the seniors, Bryn Renner from North Carolina, I thought he probably was the most polished of all the quarterbacks I saw,” Mayock said. “Great feet, bigger kid than I thought — 6-3, 220 — ball comes out beautifully.”

Mayock noted that Renner’s dad, former Packers punter Bill Renner, is respected as a coach of young players, and Renner looks like he’s been well coached for years.

“His father is a highly recognized high school coach, so it doesn’t surprise me that he’s so polished,” Mayock said.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone if Renner — who completed 65.4 percent of his passes and threw 28 touchdowns and seven interceptions last season — is a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

How many of them will be drafted in the first round?  Jeez

Really like this kid, Renner. Tough and a good leader. Makes good decisions and can pull the ball down and get you some yardage. I think he was pretty accurate and can make all the throws. I'd grab him with a late 4th/ 5th if available. I'd use a compensatory 4th if we get one. 

I still think we have seen his philosophy- not reach and take BAP. Also not free wheeling trading up and down in the draft

Agreed.  I dont thinking changing the scouting dept. changes the draft philosophy. 

The Jets have very little talent, following the same strategy they used last year would serve them wise.  Stick to the big board, take the best player on it and fill holes via FA.

Agreed.  I dont thinking changing the scouting dept. changes the draft philosophy. 

The Jets have very little talent, following the same strategy they used last year would serve them wise.  Stick to the big board, take the best player on it and fill holes via FA.

agree, phrased wrong., meant he would have a years worth of data from his scouts using his philosophy for data anaysis  on what kind of player he wants..of course he will still be BAA

Hope he ttrades another pick for a veteran, Lowry worked out and I don't want

to watch position change rookies next year, free agents are as important as the

draft, with at least 15 roster spots turning over, the Jets will be very busy, getting

the best FA S  would be nice, maybe a CB - spend here and draft offense.

agree, phrased wrong., meant he would have a years worth of data from his scouts using his philosophy for data anaysis  on what kind of player he wants..of course he will still be BAA

Gotcha - this is true.  Hopefully it helps in the later rounds where they basically came out with nothing out of the last draft...though Bohanon looks decent.

It still irks me to no end that we wasted a #2 pick on a qb like Smith. Whats worse is that he will continue to be plugged in for a few years before they realize he is nothing more than a pedestrian qb that lacks leadership and has average qb skills.  Its another Sanchez type scenario that could go on for a number of years.  I just hope we sign a veteran to take over next year.  A vet could have won 1 or 2 more games and we would have made the playoffs easily.  Our defense is formidable and will only get better next year if we can shore up the pass rush and the secondary.  I hope we sign a quality vet to unseat Smith and draft a qb.....there are so many good qb's in this draft and I bet most if not all taken would easily outplay Geno Sux Smith.  

Gotcha - this is true.  Hopefully it helps in the later rounds where they basically came out with nothing out of the last draft...though Bohanon looks decent.

Lets give the OLmen a full yr in the program before declaring them busts

what are the chances he takes bpa on offense even if a defensive player is better? that's the test, right?

There is the million dollar question? If the best player is on defense what do you do? The good thing bunch of  good wide receivers in this draft 

Watched the UNC bowl game, and I came away impressed, didn't know, or hear anything about him before that so didn't know if he was a NFL prospect, or just a guy having a good bowl game in his Senior year against a bad D.

Oh and if the Jets draft another QB he better be 6' 5".

I think if the Kid from San Jose St. falls to the 4th round the Jets should jump on him, MM has had very good success with air raid type of QB's like Foles. I don't know his size, but I think MM could develop that kid.

what are the chances he takes bpa on offense even if a defensive player is better? that's the test, right?

If he has the defensive player ranked higher than the next closest offensive player I would think, and HOPE he would grab the BAP over the offensive player!

I know everyone wants to win the Super Bowl every year, but as a GM you have to do what's best for your football team for the long term, and of you succeed at that in the draft for multiple years you will eventually be in a spot to contend for a SB realistically every year. The Tannenbaum way of selling the future for a 2 year window has to end IMO!

Watched the UNC bowl game, and I came away impressed, didn't know, or hear anything about him before that so didn't know if he was a NFL prospect, or just a guy having a good bowl game in his Senior year against a bad D.

no, that was his backup in the Bowl Game ,marquis Williams. renner was hurt midway thru the year with non throwing arm shoulder injury

It's a numbers game, and we have a bunch of picks.  At least pick up one or two serviceable guys who stick for depth -- maybe lightning strikes and we luck out with someone who exceeds expectations.   

I still think we have seen his philosophy- not reach and take BAP. Also not free wheeling trading up and down in the draft

I there's a lot of projecting onto Idzik, without really knowing what he's got in mind. Last year he knew he was tearing down the roster, and had a couple year build ahead of him. This year, he might have more money and picks at his disposal than he ever will. If he again sticks with the lower cost vets, and doesn't do much (or any) moving around in the draft, we'll start to get a better picture of his philosophy.

He certainly comes across as pragmatic to me. But even the most pragmatic guy needs to know when to take his shot. He has the ammo to move around in this draft a little bit, and some glaring needs in the weaponz category. If he determines that there's one, two, three wide receivers well above the rest, it shouldn't surprise anyone if he makes a move up.

Don't think he's Tannenbaum-like in that he'll take pride in signing the highest paid free agents either, but again, he'll have some money to spend. It'll be interesting to see how he spends it. Will it be a lot of middle-class guys like Goodson, or will he make a big splash or two?

I'm not expecting him to fit any preconceived notions.

Archived