milliner, geno, & winters

ylekram

I know all 3 had played some terrible football this year, but all seemed to pick up their game the last few games or so. was their bad play due to growing pains or a preview of more to come? do the jets roll into next year with these 3 penciled in as the starters, or do they try and upgrade the 3 positions thru free agency and/or the draft. what say you?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know all 3 had played some terrible football this year, but all seemed to pick up their game the last few games or so. was their bad play due to growing pains or a preview of more to come? do the jets roll into next year with these 3 penciled in as the starters, or do they try and upgrade the 3 positions thru free agency and/or the draft. what say you?

Milliner Yes pencil in as starter.

G Smith pencil in as competing for starting QB

Winters pencil in as backup to the stud OG we pick up in free agency.

This would be ideal situation IMO.

Not matter what the Jets need depth on the Oline and DBs

agree about the cb, but the jets did pick up some late round oline last year. the indian kid played pretty good in Virginia and I don't know much about the converted defensive kid. wish we could of saw more of them them

Milliner is starting, Geno is starting, Winters is competing.

Rookies will play as rookies. They'll start playing as verterans once they are. That last game vs the Fins Winters had a very good game. I think we all overblown these guys performances at one stage or another this year. I was very critical of Milliner, but dude stepped up big time in December, thats no lie.

The light as switched on for Dee, I think the Jets keep Reed to groom the young D.B's. Winters started to play better as time went on, tough coming from collage and moving position, he will benefit from off season weight program. I think he will be better in 2014. Geno who knows, I like to think in his last few games he's started to play, let's get some weapons.

Milliner has a chance to still be a good CB.  Will be starter next year

I agree with Bit on Winters.  If he can put some bulk and power on his frame, as bad as he was last year, could evolve into a decent OG.  Still should bring someone in

If the Jets bring in some legit QB competition next year, Geno will be doing what he should have been doing this year.  Sitting on the bench

If Geno is the starter next year, I dont care if we have Jerry Rice and Lance Alworth at receiver, we will NOT make the playoffs.

BOOK IT right now.

He made significant progress last quarter of the season, and team went 3 and 1, had zero talent at te and wr. I don't

see him being a star next year, but he will continue to improve , and does not need to be a star for this team to make playoffs. Think about it, they barely missed this year...

He made significant progress last quarter of the season, and team went 3 and 1, had zero talent at te and wr. I don't

see him being a star next year, but he will continue to improve , and does not need to be a star for this team to make playoffs. Think about it, they barely missed this year...

Sanchez Clone?

On the surface and for most of the season, yes...... However , there are some very obvious differences... Sanchez had top running game and defenses his 1st 2 years.. And clearly regressed as qb. He has no pocket presence, zero maturity, and none of the running ability geno has... Sanchez also had much more offensive talent his first few years.. I'm not sold on geno yet, but the arrow is pointing up...

On the surface and for most of the season, yes...... However , there are some very obvious differences... Sanchez had top running game and defenses his 1st 2 years.. And clearly regressed as qb. He has no pocket presence, zero maturity, and none of the running ability geno has... Sanchez also had much more offensive talent his first few years.. I'm not sold on geno yet, but the arrow is pointing up...

In their comparative rookie years, the both won the same amount of regular season games.  Geno won two more against teams who were trying to win.  Sanchez's rookie year included the #1 defense and the #1 running game.  Geno's rookie year included the team we just saw.  No comparison.

Sanchez, of course was on a team that won two playoff games, so there's no contest in that category, but it took two teams lying down to get him there.

I don't know how bright Geno's future is.  No one does.  But, I do know that despite some issues, he's shown more than Sanchez did.

They've all earned the right to compete for starting jobs. I think Winters is the most solid, as he played very well towards the end. Milliner played well against a Dolphins team when they were desperate. Geno, despite some ugly pics, showed flashes of brilliance. I'm excited to see what he can do with some talented wide receivers. His scrambling ability makes him an additional threat. Also, Rex's philosophy of "don't turn the ball over, even if it means not throwing any passes" didn't help either.

All three deserve the right to compete.

65 QBR?

Over the last four weeks of the season, after getting rightfully benched against Miami, he posted an 83.6 QBR with 4 TDs and 2 ints. He also rushed for 190 yards and three more TDs over that span. Considering the talent he had to work with, that's something to build on.

I definitely want the Jets to bring in some legitimate competition at the position, but I think it's more important that they pick up a couple weaponz. I could be down for a trade up for a stud WR.

Over the last four weeks of the season, after getting rightfully benched against Miami, he posted an 83.6 QBR with 4 TDs and 2 ints. He also rushed for 190 yards and three more TDs over that span. Considering the talent he had to work with, that's something to build on.

I definitely want the Jets to bring in some legitimate competition at the position, but I think it's more important that they pick up a couple weaponz. I could be down for a trade up for a stud WR.

I have seen this picture before. His predecessor, used to do it all the time, be God Awful, then have a few good games, and we declared that he has finally "arrived" For 4 years, we did that, and god only knows what Rex and Tanny were thinking after year 3 of 3 terrible QBing years.

Anyway, the way this guy seems to eerily emulate his predecessor, in:

1. Terrible reads

2. Terrible decisions

3. Carelessness with the ball

4. Staring down receivers

If the Jets dont come up with Plan B, then we may see a REPEAT of PLAN A, you know, the Sanchez plan.

Agreed. Need to let go of Garrard, bring in a capable QB who could start and let the 3 QB's(Simms #3) go at it. I think Geno will show enough to get the start, but, gotta' cover your a$$ if your Rex and Idzik.

Weapons are key to helping any of our QB's play better. Has to start there.

I'd still take a QB with one of the 2 4th rounders

I have seen this picture before. His predecessor, used to do it all the time, be God Awful, then have a few good games, and we declared that he has finally "arrived" For 4 years, we did that, and god only knows what Rex and Tanny were thinking after year 3 of 3 terrible QBing years.

Anyway, the way this guy seems to eerily emulate his predecessor, in:

1. Terrible reads

2. Terrible decisions

3. Carelessness with the ball

4. Staring down receivers

If the Jets dont come up with Plan B, then we may see a REPEAT of PLAN A, you know, the Sanchez plan.

This is my problem with the Anti-Geno club. They're not really evaluating Geno, they're re-evaluating Sanchez. Geno had an 8-8 record his rookie year with virtually no talent. Sanchez had a 9-7 with pretty good talent. 

If a rookie doesnt perform like Russell Wilson in his rookie season for the Jets, fans will always say that "they seen this before" because all they're doing is thinking about Sanchez. 

Geno had a solid December in which his accuracy went up, he contributed 7 TD's to just 2 INT's and went 3-1 in the last 4 games. It was obviously his best qtr of football and it came during the most important part of the season when making a playoff push. 

When you concentrate on Geno instead of making him a Sanchez clone then you can see his actual pros and cons and see that the kid just needs some more time and weapons. Not saying that he's the answer, but you cant really evaluate him when there's no talent around. You expect QB's to bring the best out of WR's, well I also believe that to be the other way around as well. David Nelson got an extension didnt he? Kerley flourished as the best WR on the team. Stephen Hill obviously is a bust and Holmes is not worth the money. We learned alot from Geno's play about our WR's. We also learned alot about Geno himself, which is we need to put talent around him. No consistent OG's no consistent TE's, WR's. 

The Jets need to get some. 

Sorry, I omitted his WORST trait:5. ACCURACY, he is in the 55% range, again, like you know who.Its scary how similar they are.

I didn't want Geno before the draft, and was thrilled when they passed on him in the first round. When Geno pouted his way out of the green room after the first round, I wanted someone else to draft him before the Jets were on the clock. I'm not at all in love with the kid.

That said, he had an encouraging final month of the season. Get him some weapons, but also bring in a veteran QB capable of starting to honestly compete for his job, and draft another QB in the middle rounds to develop or surprise. Given the talent level on this offense, I don't think it's fair to pass judgement on a rookie QB we all knew was more of a project than ready-for-the-NFL starter.

I didn't want Geno before the draft, and was thrilled when they passed on him in the first round. When Geno pouted his way out of the green room after the first round, I wanted someone else to draft him before the Jets were on the clock. I'm not at all in love with the kid.

That said, he had an encouraging final month of the season. Get him some weapons, but also bring in a veteran QB capable of starting to honestly compete for his job, and draft another QB in the middle rounds to develop or surprise. Given the talent level on this offense, I don't think it's fair to pass judgement on a rookie QB we all knew was more of a project than ready-for-the-NFL starter.

OK, Fair enough BUT and this is a big BUT, The dude you worship, you know REX, Have you seen his "history" of bringing in a "vet"? I'll give it to you: BRUNELL, TEBOW, MCELROY, GARRARD, so he never had to take his love child, SANCHEZ out.

Well, here we go again, doing the same thing with Smith, Garrard, Simms.

You better hope that with your scenario of a "vet" that your "man" brings in someone other than Sonny Jurgenson, or Billy Kilmer.

This is my problem with the Anti-Geno club. They're not really evaluating Geno, they're re-evaluating Sanchez. Geno had an 8-8 record his rookie year with virtually no talent. Sanchez had a 9-7 with pretty good talent. 

If a rookie doesnt perform like Russell Wilson in his rookie season for the Jets, fans will always say that "they seen this before" because all they're doing is thinking about Sanchez. 

Geno had a solid December in which his accuracy went up, he contributed 7 TD's to just 2 INT's and went 3-1 in the last 4 games. It was obviously his best qtr of football and it came during the most important part of the season when making a playoff push. 

When you concentrate on Geno instead of making him a Sanchez clone then you can see his actual pros and cons and see that the kid just needs some more time and weapons. Not saying that he's the answer, but you cant really evaluate him when there's no talent around. You expect QB's to bring the best out of WR's, well I also believe that to be the other way around as well. David Nelson got an extension didnt he? Kerley flourished as the best WR on the team. Stephen Hill obviously is a bust and Holmes is not worth the money. We learned alot from Geno's play about our WR's. We also learned alot about Geno himself, which is we need to put talent around him. No consistent OG's no consistent TE's, WR's. 

The Jets need to get some. 

Sorry, but until he does something to dissuade me from making the inevitable comparison, you know like throw for 300 yards, 4Tds, no picks, QBR's in the 80's and 90's, and do it for more than a 2 or 3 game stretch, and be consistently good instead of consistently bad, then I will stop with that comparison, but his stats this year were amazingly similar, and looked similar to the USC bust.

OK, Fair enough BUT and this is a big BUT, The dude you worship, you know REX, Have you seen his "history" of bringing in a "vet"? I'll give it to you: BRUNELL, TEBOW, MCELROY, GARRARD, so he never had to take his love child, SANCHEZ out.

Well, here we go again, doing the same thing with Smith, Garrard, Simms.

You better hope that with your scenario of a "vet" that your "man" brings in someone other than Sonny Jurgenson, or Billy Kilmer.

I don't worship Rex. I think he's a pretty good coach, better than most this franchise has had, and better than a lot of options out there. That's all. The strong emotions about Rex come from those who hate him.

I don't put the backup QB moves on him (and McElroy was drafted by the Jets), I put them primarily on the GMs. Idzik needs to bring in two QBs this offseason, IMO. One veteran capable of starting, and one rookie capable of developing. This is absolutely not the year I'd trade up for another rookie QB, though. That time could come as soon as 2015, but this year I'd give Geno a shot with some receiving help and legitimate veteran competition.

I don't worship Rex. I think he's a pretty good coach, better than most this franchise has had, and better than a lot of options out there. That's all. The strong emotions about Rex come from those who hate him.

I don't put the backup QB moves on him (and McElroy was drafted by the Jets), I put them primarily on the GMs. Idzik needs to bring in two QBs this offseason, IMO. One veteran capable of starting, and one rookie capable of developing. This is absolutely not the year I'd trade up for another rookie QB, though. That time could come as soon as 2015, but this year I'd give Geno a shot with some receiving help and legitimate veteran competition.

Fair enough.

I honestly think Winters will be a very good starting lineman in a year or two. OL takes more time than other positions. The learning curve is steep. You need to know your assignment plus the other lineman's assignments, and adjust to defensive fronts and blitz packages. And you need to be confident in your knowledge, develop your skillset to be on par with pro football and gain the size and strength needed to compete at a high level. Most lineman drafted top 20 last year have been rookie "disappointments". But they are drafted for a twelve year career, not for a pro bowl rookie season.

Sorry, but until he does something to dissuade me from making the inevitable comparison, you know like throw for 300 yards, 4Tds, no picks, QBR's in the 80's and 90's, and do it for more than a 2 or 3 game stretch, and be consistently good instead of consistently bad, then I will stop with that comparison, but his stats this year were amazingly similar, and looked similar to the USC bust.

Show me a group of rookies the past 5 years (4 or more QB's) that have thrown for 300 yards, 4TD's, no picks with a QBR in the 80's and 90's during a 4 game stretch. Do that and i'll shut up. Plain and simple. I'll be right here waiting for it too. 

He played well after they were already eliminated.  When the season was on the line and the Jets controlled their own destiny, Geno and the Jets sucked.  

And he played well against a Dolphins team who got shut out against the Bills the week before and played well against the Raiders and Browns teams who gave up months ago.   So it was good to see him get better, but his best play was against teams who seemed to have already given up.

Archived