2014 free agents

joewilly12

Most of the guys Idzik signed had injury concerns that went well beyond a season.  Hell, they had more than one guy on a "pitch count" in practice. Colon and Goodson went down again.  

I know that, that is why I made the wisecrack in the first place...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ill be happy if they just bring in a few solid players. I'm not looking to buy a new jersey I'm just trying to make it through next season without wanting to smash the tv.

lol.  idzik has said his goal is to build a consistently competitive team, and that's fine by me as well. 

Fine by me.  As always, the talent we bring in via the draft will be most important.  # 2 is Big Mo's extension.

cool.  I was kinda speaking to the reactionary group that is used to the tanny way and will be wringing their hands if the jets don't bring in superstars.  big mo is huge, it will tell the team if you play well here, you get paid.  that will be a very telling negotiation to see if idzik has the chops for the GM job.  the way he waited out tampa on the revis trade gives me some optimism

Most of the guys Idzik signed had injury concerns that went well beyond a season.  Hell, they had more than one guy on a "pitch count" in practice. Colon and Goodson went down again.  

colon went down in the 62nd quarter of 64 quarters in the season.  any player can pull a muscle, it wasn't an old injury. 

goodson should have been cut in august, in my view one of idziks worst decisions was to stick with this punk

most of the signings were players who had been waived, maximizing the comp. picks for this draft.  they were throw away players in a rebuild year

Might be alone on this but why not Matt Flynn as backup ? I know ill take some heat for this but I was pushing for a Flynn trade last year once Idzik was named as GM. Prototypical backup QB for Geno who could jump in and play anytime. And we definitely need a safety. Byrd would be nice but it's a pipe dream.

Powell is a JAG and Ivory is often injured that leaves Alex Green yea worst idea ever without a running game you cant have a passing game.

Moreno is a solid RB running in a great offense. He couldn't replicate his production here. He'll probably command top dollar and it's not worth the money. The RBs on this team as is are more than serviceable.

i know its not the whole WEAPONZ thing but id like to see them revamp the o line

a dominate o line can do wonders for an offense

Between Brick and Mangold there is already a lot of money tied up into the line. The right side are free agents but they were decent enough to bring back. I'd like to upgrade Colon. Howard can come back.

Between Brick and Mangold there is already a lot of money tied up into the line. The right side are free agents but they were decent enough to bring back. I'd like to upgrade Colon. Howard can come back.

upgrade winters colon and howard. but like you said i wouldnt mind howard coming back

Serviceable does not win Championships

Tell me something, what are the combined number of championships for the following?  Adrian Peterson, Lesean McCoy, Arian Foster, Frank Gore, Knowshon Moreno, Marshawn Lynch, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Curtis Martin, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jamaal Charles, Ricky Williams, Bo Jackson, Steven Jackson, Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, and Darren McFadden?

Answer:  0.

Guess who have won Super Bowls in the last 12 years?  Michael Pittman, Antowain Smith, Kevin Faulk, Joseph Addai, Dominic Rhodes, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas, Brandon Jackson, Ahmad Bradshaw.

Serviceable DOES win championships.  Sure, Jerome Bettis and Ray Rice also won titles in the last decade.  But they were playing with two-time champion Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco (who threw 11 TD's and 0 INT's in his playoff run) as their QB's, respectively.  I'd say RB has been a very low priority for title teams of late, and rightfully so.  This is a passing league.

Our RB's are probably the only spot on offense where we are fine.  Spending big on a guy who can credit most of his success to Peyton Manning and a top 5 offensive line would be a horrific decision.  We'd be better served improving first and foremost at QB, bringing in a true WR1 and WR2 to combine forces with slot receiver Jeremy Kerley, two new TE's and maybe a new RG and/or RT.  

RB is NOT an area where we need to be wasting dollars.  Ivory performed very nicely, Powell is a good RB2 and Mike Goodson looked like a nice, speedy 3rd down back in his limited time last season.  We also have very useful Tommy Bohannon and Sheldon Richardson at fullback.  lol.

I am a huge

Knowshon Moreno sign this beast

I am a huge fan of his, very familiar with him going back to his high school days at Middletown South.  Seeing him with the Jets would be cool personally.  But it will never happen.  He is the exact move that Idzik won't make (and Idzik is right).

They Jets have a nice 1\2 punch right now.  Ivory is hurt a lot but his production when healthy is amazing.  Look for the Jets to solidify the # 3 RB position this offseason and nothing else.

Goodson.

I'd be interested to see where they go with Goodson.  I guess it will depend on his rehab.  He has a fairly small roster bonus, but his contract escalates each year, meaning he will be cut if he isn't performing.  RB is a place where you can find nice developmental guys, but it would probably be worth the roster bonus to have Goodson in camp and see how he looks.  He showed some flashes, but that was a fairly significant injury.  

I'd be interested to see where they go with Goodson.  I guess it will depend on his rehab.  He has a fairly small roster bonus, but his contract escalates each year, meaning he will be cut if he isn't performing.  RB is a place where you can find nice developmental guys, but it would probably be worth the roster bonus to have Goodson in camp and see how he looks.  He showed some flashes, but that was a fairly significant injury.  

Either way I don't think we can cut him outright at this time.  I'd be down with adding another mid-late round guy into the mix just in case he isn't available.

Goodson.

I am curious about that.  I thought waiting around for Goodson last year was a mistake.  Then I saw him play and was glad they waited.  Then he got hurt.

Depending on this legal and injury situation I really can't wait to see what the Jets do with him.  If they think he can be on the field next year, he could be a really good # 3 option at RB.  He looked good in his short time on the field this year.

I am curious about that.  I thought waiting around for Goodson last year was a mistake.  Then I saw him play and was glad they waited.  Then he got hurt.

Depending on this legal and injury situation I really can't wait to see what the Jets do with him.  If they think he can be on the field next year, he could be a really good # 3 option at RB.  He looked good in his short time on the field this year.

He'll be the perfect 3rd down back to compliment Ivory or Powell (when Ivory inevitably gets hurt). 

Archived