It's a passing league!

stoicsentry

Man, you're always just so cheerful ;) We did average 22 points on offense the last quarter of the season, so I don't think being cautiously optimistic about our offense is that unrealistic.

Wow, scoring against the Fins and browns impresses you, eh?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy, now you are going to get some statistic saying that these are both top 10 defenses. or top 10 against the run, or the pass. or both are very underrated defenses etc.

Just warning you.

Probably not, because they aren't, however, the offense, especially Geno, was playing much more consistent football towards the end of the season. He accounted for 7 tds and only turned the ball over twice, pretty sure that is grounds for improvement and something to build on. I know his improvement gets in the way of your johnny boy dream, but he was definitely taking a step forward. Not sure how that's really a bad thing for us.

Probably not, because they aren't, however, the offense, especially Geno, was playing much more consistent football towards the end of the season. He accounted for 7 tds and only turned the ball over twice, pretty sure that is grounds for improvement and something to build on. I know his improvement gets in the way of your johnny boy dream, but he was definitely taking a step forward. Not sure how that's really a bad thing for us.

Again, My problem was those games meant NOTHING to the Jets. When they came off the bye at 5-4 and EVERYTHING was on the line, he played just awful. Then the Jets get eliminated, the games mean nothing, and he plays better.

I know with me, when I have a 4 footer on Saturday morning with my buddies to win a $5.00 nassau, I could make it with my eyes shut, and when its a 4 footer to win a tournament, the damn hole could be the size of a manhole and I miss it.

Easy to play when nothing is on the line, Easy to play bad when it means something, for bad players, but good ones step up when it counts. Thats why we see the QB's we are seeing now. Geno will never be one of those, he's an avergae backup at best.

Again, My problem was those games meant NOTHING to the Jets. When they came off the bye at 5-4 and EVERYTHING was on the line, he played just awful. Then the Jets get eliminated, the games mean nothing, and he plays better.

I know with me, when I have a 4 footer on Saturday morning with my buddies to win a $5.00 nassau, I could make it with my eyes shut, and when its a 4 footer to win a tournament, the damn hole could be the size of a manhole and I miss it.

Easy to play when nothing is on the line, Easy to play bad when it means something, for bad players, but good ones step up when it counts. Thats why we see the QB's we are seeing now. Geno will never be one of those, he's an avergae backup at best.

The three games after the Bye, Geno was playing with a snow-shovel, a gardening rake and a putter in his bag. 

The Jets fan version of standing in front of a mirror and chanting "Bloody Mary."

Which is funny, considering so many of them are Mets' fans. How the same person can remain perpetually optimistic about one team and not the other has always puzzled me. It's like the french paradox of new york sports.

Which is funny, considering so many of them are Mets' fans. How the same person can remain perpetually optimistic about one team and not the other has always puzzled me. It's like the french paradox of new york sports.

baseball is hard to watch when your team is terrible

to win it all, you have to be able to do it all

throw it 40 times in a dome, run it 40 times in a storm

you have to be adaptable.  the jets can barely fill out a roster

they are still 2 off seasons away tbh

If this is true "still 2 off seasons away", then this statement alone should signal the end of the Rex Ryan era, as he has only 1 year left on his contract. Correct?

If this is true "still 2 off seasons away", then this statement alone should signal the end of the Rex Ryan era, as he has only 1 year left on his contract. Correct?

that's just my opinion on the state of the roster.  you don't go from david nelson and bilal powell to a real NFL offense in 1 off season.  this team needs o-lineman, a pass rusher, safeties, TE's, kick returner, etc etc as well as WR's and a back up QB

even if idzik goes heavy offense, he's going to have some misses, so it will take time to develop

that's also my opinion that he is not a trade up and make splashy FA signings kinda guy, he is a build through the draft guy, and that just takes time

that's just my opinion on the state of the roster.  you don't go from david nelson and bilal powell to a real NFL offense in 1 off season.  this team needs o-lineman, a pass rusher, safeties, TE's, kick returner, etc etc as well as WR's and a back up QB

even if idzik goes heavy offense, he's going to have some misses, so it will take time to develop

that's also my opinion that he is not a trade up and make splashy FA signings kinda guy, he is a build through the draft guy, and that just takes time

Rex will be sorry to hear this.

Rex will be sorry to hear this.

yeah no doubt.  it was interesting to see marty go from a heavy pass offense which was frustrating to watch the kid struggle, but on the positive side was forcing him to throw and get experience to a heavy run offense which gave the team a better chance to win at the expense of his development.  I was getting pretty upset the final month where they were straight up hiding geno.  but I'm sure rex appreciated it

and I'm sure any other HC candidate he winds up working for in about 4 years will remember it

Could be true and it would still depend.

#1, Rex might get extended before the 2014 season, that would normally be the case for most coaches...

#2, Supposing he doesn't get the extension but the team is "2 off-seasons away", still matters what happens in 2014. You don't have to win the Superbowl for it to be a good year. IIf they win 1 playoff game, or even make the playoffs at all then the Jets would likely grant him an extension at that point.

A kid who is in his first and (if he doesn't play better), possibly last season as an NFL starting QB has nothing to play for huh?

Who knows what kind of guy he is because if you go by Seattle and Pete Carroll, that team made a ton of moves and made the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons and have gotten better each year.  True they won a division at 7-9, but still beat the defending super bowl champs in the playoffs that year.   And in season two they went 7-9 again.   But now they have a legit shot at getting to a super bowl and winning.  And they look like a team who could compete for years if healthy and so on.    

The Jets are still a huge unknown.   They have a decent defense.  Except they've had that for years.  They also have a HC who isn't new.   How would Rex stay after another 8-8 or 7-9 season?    So if another HC is hired after next year,  what happens?  Most coaches have their own idea of what kind of team they want or don't want.  Unless you hire somebody who can't find a HC job. And then it's all "lets hope this guy turns out to be good.'   

And as others have stated, the Seahawks found a bunch of players this offseason and those guys have turned out to be pretty good for that team.  Those moves happened when Idzik was a Jet.   

I have no clue what to think of Idzik at this point.  He was good at being a bargain shopper and cutting the cap.   But who knows if he's good at building a winning team.  It's easy to give him credit, right or wrong, for the Seahawks recent success, but I guess people forget the Seahawks were a pretty terrible team for a number of years after their super bowl loss and before Pete. I guess Idzik wasn't responsible for any of that though.

The 2 Best TEAMS in the NFL are not passing teams they are running teams. Seahawks and Niners

The SB is in the meadowlands and if the wind and cold kick up like we know it can Both Brady and Manning (which ever of the 2 make it) will not only be ordinary they will probably get killed by one of those 2 defenses. Its why defense and a running game fair very well in the playoffs historically

Every playoff winner rushed for at least 100 yards, most of them a lot more. Discuss.

Some had big leads that allowed them to stay on the ground. Some games, the weather predicated more of a ground attack.

Is it wise to have a good ground game? Yes! But, not at the expense of a passing game, which is how the Jets have approached it

Running games are valuable to good teams who are trying to run out the clock and seal a win.  The success of running games in this year's playoffs does not mean we're reverting to a running league.  Keep in mind that a lot of the games this weekend occurred in bad weather and running the ball had an increased importance.

So running can be used in all weather situations? Hmmm... sounds to me that would be very valuable in a league in which 27 of the 32 teams play their games out of doors in all kinds of weather.

Some had big leads that allowed them to stay on the ground. Some games, the weather predicated more of a ground attack.

Is it wise to have a good ground game? Yes! But, not at the expense of a passing game, which is how the Jets have approached it

Exactly.  We could easily be one of these teams running for 100+ yards on the ground in the postseason.  We've done it before with the likes of Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene.  The problem is we're miles worse than each and every one of these playoff games in the passing game. 

You GET to the postseason by being a really good passing team.  And for the most part, the passing game is also the driving force in who wins it all.  We'll be seeing that next week with the Brady vs Manning battle in the AFC.  And while the Niners and Seahawks will have a lot of running from Gore and Lynch, I imagine that whichever QB plays better will advance.

Could be true and it would still depend.

#1, Rex might get extended before the 2014 season, that would normally be the case for most coaches...

#2, Supposing he doesn't get the extension but the team is "2 off-seasons away", still matters what happens in 2014. You don't have to win the Superbowl for it to be a good year. IIf they win 1 playoff game, or even make the playoffs at all then the Jets would likely grant him an extension at that point.

Maybe. Certainly if they made an extended playoff run, but say a 9-7, first round exit, possibly, I guess it depends on how much "progress" Idzik and Woody deemed the team made, One things for sure though, he better make the playoffs next year, especially if Idzik gets him the weapons all you guys seem to think he lacks now.

A kid who is in his first and (if he doesn't play better), possibly last season as an NFL starting QB has nothing to play for huh?

Of course, BUT think of the mindset coming out of the bye: We are 5-4 and everyone, the media, the fans, and I'm sure the organization are all saying we are in the hunt, we can make the playoffs. We just need to win these games. MUCHO PRESSURE and lets face it he failed. Then they are 6-8 ELIMINATED, oh well season over, cant make the playoffs, playing for a draft position, the games mean NOTHING, for the team and the season, NO PRESSURE, now just go out there and wing it, nothing to lose really, easy to play,

Look, some people embrace the pressure, some melt. This kid melted, not a good sign.

Dan Dierdorf Saturday night made it sound like all you have to do is hand off 40 times and you win. But really the score dictated that the Pats were more inclined to run the ball all 2nd half because they had a solid lead and wanted to run the clock. Joe Theissmann habitually said the same thing all the time. Essentially piling up running yards is more often the result of a well-balanced offense being ahead late in the game than the reason they won the game. It's wrongly identifying an outcome with causation. Look at the 2 AFC title games Wrecks lost: Shonn Green got hurt and the Colts' passing attack took over and Sanchez had no answer, and vs. the Steelers Sanchez couldn't pass the ball to save his life. It's great to able to run, but the only big back left is Peterson. The rest are as interchangeable as guards and safeties. If you cannot pass the rest doesn't matter. But what do I know, draw your conclusions from 2 games against crappy teams after the Jets were playing for nothing.

If you have a team capable of shutting down the opponent once they are in the lead...there's really no point to chuck it around 40 times. The Seahawks and Niners punish teams. 

KInda goes to show the 2009/10 Jets were a bit of fake hustle.

Of course, BUT think of the mindset coming out of the bye: We are 5-4 and everyone, the media, the fans, and I'm sure the organization are all saying we are in the hunt, we can make the playoffs. We just need to win these games. MUCHO PRESSURE and lets face it he failed. Then they are 6-8 ELIMINATED, oh well season over, cant make the playoffs, playing for a draft position, the games mean NOTHING, for the team and the season, NO PRESSURE, now just go out there and wing it, nothing to lose really, easy to play,

Look, some people embrace the pressure, some melt. This kid melted, not a good sign.

So, to extrapolate your argument, the games Geno performed well were the ones in which he experienced the least amount of psychological pressure and the ones in which he failed were the ones in which he experienced the most?

Dan Dierdorf Saturday night made it sound like all you have to do is hand off 40 times and you win. But really the score dictated that the Pats were more inclined to run the ball all 2nd half because they had a solid lead and wanted to run the clock. Joe Theissmann habitually said the same thing all the time. Essentially piling up running yards is more often the result of a well-balanced offense being ahead late in the game than the reason they won the game. It's wrongly identifying an outcome with causation. Look at the 2 AFC title games Wrecks lost: Shonn Green got hurt and the Colts' passing attack took over and Sanchez had no answer, and vs. the Steelers Sanchez couldn't pass the ball to save his life. It's great to able to run, but the only big back left is Peterson. The rest are as interchangeable as guards and safeties. If you cannot pass the rest doesn't matter. But what do I know, draw your conclusions from 2 games against crappy teams after the Jets were playing for nothing.

Have to disagree Gore and Lynch arent interchangeable....both of those guys are huge reasons they're in the title game.

Archived