Rex getting more national praise

Pac

MM has been ok but my optimism about geno making a big 2nd year leap is low. it is one of the more stunning football decisions i have seen in my lifetime where a coach survived the ouster of a qb that the team moved up for on his watch, extended for big bucks, and that he defended so publicly. don't think there is any doubt that rex's tenure is directly linked to geno's play next year.

I don't think so, and I certainly hope not.

Like you, I'm not sold on Geno at all. I have to hope that the Jets aren't sold on him, either. I think it would be a lot different if they took him in the first round rather than the second. As it stands, I think they're free to bring in genuine competition. I'm hoping they bring in a vet and a rookie QB. I don't think Rex's tenure depends upon Geno as much as it depends on the offense as a whole.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so, and I certainly hope not.

Like you, I'm not sold on Geno at all. I have to hope that the Jets aren't sold on him, either. I think it would be a lot different if they took him in the first round rather than the second. As it stands, I think they're free to bring in genuine competition. I'm hoping they bring in a vet and a rookie QB. I don't think Rex's tenure depends upon Geno as much as it depends on the offense as a whole.

Would love competition just dont see a way geno doesnt start next year.

I thought Kotite was very successful and had a well above .500 record when fired by the Eagles and hired by the Jets? Did he not? I'm sure their are coaches out there who coached under Kotite, who went on to successful careers in the NFL but we never hear the "Kotite coaching tree", do we?

Define "very successful" please. Kotite was about 8 games over .500 and had one playoff win as head coach of the Eagles, where he inherited a team with an all-time great defense and a pretty damn good QB in Randall Cunningham. He was also trending downward as he went 8-8 and 7-9 his last two years there. Also, as PAC pointed out, not one of Kotite's assistants ever got hired as a head coach AND cited Kotite as an influence on their coaching philosophy. 

Pettine has cited Rex as an obvious influence. 

Define "very successful" please. Kotite was about 8 games over .500 and had one playoff win as head coach of the Eagles, where he inherited a team with an all-time great defense and a pretty damn good QB in Randall Cunningham. He was also trending downward as he went 8-8 and 7-9 his last two years there. Also, as PAC pointed out, not one of Kotite's assistants ever got hired as a head coach AND cited Kotite as an influence on their coaching philosophy. 

Pettine has cited Rex as an obvious influence.

OK, I will redefine my meaning of coaching tree, as any coach, no matter his successes or failures, who has another coach who was an assistant, who credits that coach with influencing him. That should leave out Wayne Fontes, Rich Kotite, and Charlie Winner.

Good job for a kid, but you could have mentioned the Sanchez injury, signing the convict,

cutting Cothery Dave and Busters, his penchant for doing really dumb things at the wrong

time, overall an excellent star for a young writer, better than Cimini.

The Jets beat BOTH the Pats and the Saints because of the RUN GAME. Ivory went off on both of them and while the d-line played well, I don't think it is THE REASON they won. Rex is what he is guys, a half a HC who is simply BELOVED by his owner who I think is still in the closet and has a man crush on slimmed down and sexy Rex-y. Idzik kept him for job security because you can never have too much of that. Rex is the most mediocre HC in the entire NFL.

The Jets beat BOTH the Pats and the Saints because of the RUN GAME. Ivory went off on both of them and while the d-line played well, I don't think it is THE REASON they won. Rex is what he is guys, a half a HC who is simply BELOVED by his owner who I think is still in the closet and has a man crush on slimmed down and sexy Rex-y. Idzik kept him for job security because you can never have too much of that. Rex is the most mediocre HC in the entire NFL.

Rex is a great coach when he can run it 50 times, and keep the score in the 10-7 range, but when his teams actually have to play offense, then it becomes an exhibition on how not to use the forward pass.

players. He's beloved by the players. Who don't quit on him no matter what.

Yeah Bitonti, except when they don't. I.E. Cincinnati, Buffalo, Tennessee...Jets players don't ALWAYS play hard for Rex as those games clearly showed. Jets were clocked in each of those by an inept offense and a defense that 'pretended' to tackle. Anything else?

Rex's coaching tree consists of Pettine - whose daughter was NOT thrilled with him being hired in Cleveland and tweeted, 'It's the Browns but still pretty cool.' Really? With the Browns ownership I would have stayed in Buffalo rather than be the next guy fired after one year.

Yeah Bitonti, except when they don't. I.E. Cincinnati, Buffalo, Tennessee...Jets players don't ALWAYS play hard for Rex as those games clearly showed. Jets were clocked in each of those by an inept offense and a defense that 'pretended' to tackle. Anything else?

it's crazy that this team with few good players actually lost a couple games.  darn that Rex.

Rex is a great coach when he can run it 50 times, and keep the score in the 10-7 range, but when his teams actually have to play offense, then it becomes an exhibition on how not to use the forward pass.

W vs. Falcons - 30-28

W vs. Patriots - 30-27

W vs. Saints - 26-20

carry on

heres a question for all the rex haters:

is John Fox a better coach than Rex Ryan? is Pete Carroll?

John Fox is unquestionably a better coach than Rex.

Carroll had many of the same failings as Rex, but learned how to run an entire program while at USC.

I honestly don't know what you people think Rex does as a head coach that's so outstanding. He schemes a nice defense. That's it. Whoopee.

Because if he ever gets the chance to team up with a good Offensive Coordinator, he can take the team places.

He got stuck with Schotty for three years, then whiffed when he hired Sparano.  Unloaded Sparano as soon as possible and got Marty, who did well considering personnel deficiencies even before injuries, of which there were plenty.

Now the personnel issues can be addressed and we have a man in place who can use the personnel effectively.  Then Rex can do what he does on the defensive side.  And hopefully the young QB can throw to somebody who can make plays for him.

John Fox is unquestionably a better coach than Rex.

Such garbage.  John Fox is 2 games over .500 without Peyton Manning and has a 2-14 season under his belt.

You shrug off Rex's ability to scheme a defense as if it's not mportant.  What exactly is John Fox known for? 

Literally no one is saying John Fox played a big part in getting the Broncos to the SB..  Jack Del Rio coached a large portion of the season for chrissakes..

Archived