The New NFL Combine Thread. The other one dissolved

eboozer

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By freakish atheltic skills you mean slightly fast fidget?

Fast, quick, agile laterally and vertically. He will make more linemen, and linebackers miss, than any QB since Randall Cunningham. Meanwhile, his receivers are leaving safties and corners in their wake, for  yard consuming broken plays, or he tucks it and picks up 15. A defensive Coordinators nightmare.

I just don't like the idea that people are so amped about his combine numbers and running ability for a reason why they should draft him. Besides being quicker than Geno, which admittedly will help him escape from the pocket, he's less explosive in every other aspect. If Manziel wants to make it in the NFL, he needs to make all the throws from the pocket and not worry about playing backyard football or he's going to get destroyed at his frame.  I don't think he's capable of doing, but it will certainly be interesting to see what he does next year, he's that polarizing. 

FWIW:

Manziel: 5'11" 207 lbs. 4.68 forty. 31.5" vert. 9'5" broad jump. 

Smith: 6'2"  218 lbs. 4.59 forty. 33.5" vert. 10'4" broad jump.

isnt the whole point that he is accurate?

He uses his athletisicm to get away from the rush then make some crazy pass downfield he has no buisness making.

Some of the throws he makes are just like wow how did he hit his reciever dead in the hands while falling away from the rush

check out his highlights most of them arnt running plays

isnt the whole point that he is accurate?

He uses his athletisicm to get away from the rush then make some crazy pass downfield he has no buisness making.

Some of the throws he makes are just like wow how did he hit his reciever dead in the hands while falling away from the rush

check out his highlights most of them arnt running plays

No need to check out his highlights, I've seen full games of him playing and a lot of those scrambles he just won't be able to make in the NFL.  I've thoroughly voiced my opinion on how much I dislike him, no need to rehash.  I just was pointing out to 78 that putting aside his QBing, he's not the athletic specimen he's making him out to be.

the question teams have to ask about Clowney is "does he want to play football?" 

if he doesn't. it's a possible Gholston situation. Comparing him to Johnny ABe might be too generous. 

He'll play his ass off because he knows that 2nd contract is where you make your money nowadays.  Just my take.

Meh.  The average for DL last year was 26, for DE it was 24. That's average...this kid's supposed to be a super-star. 

For said super-star, it means he hasn't spent time in the gym and has been relying on his natural athleticism.  Which can be taken one of two ways:

1) His potential to get even better is there.

or,

2) His desire to get better (now, before the biggest interview of his life) isn't there and maybe never will be. 

JPP only did 19 reps on the bench. He was well on his way to be a super star prior to hurting his back. Clowney's a more freak athlete and JPP was a freak.

So Mack is def gone top 10 with Clowney.

Does Barr hang around? I'm thinking he's gone around 8-12, 4.66 was outstanding but only a 34.5 vert and he doesn't fit every system.

Outstanding 3C 6.82

Solid broad 119" but only 15 reps.

Just a thought.

The big question about Barr was his lateral mobility. If his 3C numbers are tight, and he works out ok, he'll go top 10 easy, imo

the question teams have to ask about Clowney is "does he want to play football?"

if he doesn't. it's a possible Gholston situation. Comparing him to Johnny ABe might be too generous.

All the big edge rushers get the dog label coming out of college it seems. Mario Williams certainly did.

The big question about Barr was his lateral mobility. If his 3C numbers are tight, and he works out ok, he'll go top 10 easy, imo

3 cone and shuttle were tight. But not a finished product, doesn't fit every system and needs to add strength. A little Mingo, John Abe esque got me thinking 8-12 and then maybe he just slides a little bit as an off chance teams are looking at other positions. Not overly/freaky explosive via vert and broad.

No need to check out his highlights, I've seen full games of him playing and a lot of those scrambles he just won't be able to make in the NFL.  I've thoroughly voiced my opinion on how much I dislike him, no need to rehash.  I just was pointing out to 78 that putting aside his QBing, he's not the athletic specimen he's making him out to be.

but i think thats where your wrong. Maybe because im at college i dont watch enough tv but i dont see anyone comparing him to kappernick or rg3

if anything i see people comparing him russel wilson in his ability to extend plays and make something out of nothing

but i think thats where your wrong. Maybe because im at college i dont watch enough tv but i dont see anyone comparing him to kappernick or rg3

if anything i see people comparing him russel wilson in his ability to extend plays and make something out of nothing

Doesn't have the same arm strength though.

Leadership, work ethic might be an issue for Manziel too.

All the big edge rushers get the dog label coming out of college it seems. Mario Williams certainly did.

Mario Williams put up 35 reps which shows commitment at least to lifting. Clowney isn't really a professional athlete he's a boy child. Andrew Bynum to use an NBA comp. he's got every gift you can want except tenacity. And in the end that's all that matters. 

Top 10could be looking:

3 QBs

3 OTs

Clowney, Mack

Watkins, Evans

10-17

2 CBs

Barr

Donald

Ebron

1 of the safeties?

Another QB or Martin?

Also Mosely....and there's always a big reach somewhere in there.

At 18 Jets could be looking at Lee, Beckham, Cooks?

at 18 the Jets are probably looking at whoever falls out of the 9 names in your 10-17 scenario. are the WR really better than CJ Mosely? what the DBs run will be crucial the Jets really need DBs. Great post btw 

at 18 the Jets are probably looking at whoever falls out of the 9 names in your 10-17 scenario. are the WR really better than CJ Mosely? what the DBs run will be crucial the Jets really need DBs. Great post btw

Despite which CB I'd be a little ho hum if they took one but I agree on the potential need.

Mario Williams put up 35 reps which shows commitment at least to lifting. Clowney isn't really a professional athlete he's a boy child. Andrew Bynum to use an NBA comp. he's got every gift you can want except tenacity. And in the end that's all that matters. 

Yea, except for Clowney doesn't have those degenerative knee problems...  That's far and away Bynum's biggest problem, not him being lazy.

Christian Jones was the 5 star prospect, whereas Mosely was only a 4 star out of high school. According to the Bitonti psychoanalysis of Idzik, he's going for the freakier and more highly touted player.

"I'm better [than Clowney]. Let's put it like this. People like to talk about size all the time. Size is pretty much overrated in my eyes. You can look at guys like Robert Mathis, Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller. These are 6-2 guys and under. People are just looking at the fact that [Clowney] is a physical specimen. Honestly if you watch the film, he plays like a blind dog in a meat market basically." -Dee Ford

agree, clowney belongs in the playground. wasn't Mario Williams also a 4.47 guy, also?

Or, Robert Quinn

3 cone and shuttle were tight. But not a finished product, doesn't fit every system and needs to add strength. A little Mingo, John Abe esque got me thinking 8-12 and then maybe he just slides a little bit as an off chance teams are looking at other positions. Not overly/freaky explosive via vert and broad.

Yeah, I've read a ton of stuff that rips him, then you read the anonyscout (my term) saying that he's a lock top-ten guy. I guess we'll see.

I like Barr, but something keeps screaming Dion Jordan to me. I'd rather have Mack than pretty much anyone not named Clowney.

IIRC, Jordan didn't have a ton of production at Oregon and was always going to be a project. I recall Mayock being super-excited that he could back-pedal, as if that's a great predictor of anything. I don't know how Barr will turn out, but I think there's a lot of smoke thrown up around him.

Archived