The New NFL Combine Thread. The other one dissolved

eboozer

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

clowney ran a 4.4 and then shut it down. That's a metaphor for his whole career. He isn't Lawrence Taylor part II. He's Johnny Abe Part II. You hope he plays hard when you need it.  people talk about him and JJ Watt together? JJ watt is a beast who will play hard with blood running down his face. Clowney is a dog who plays hard when the moon is in the seventh house and jupiter aligns with mars. JJ might have to haze Clowney "incognito style" to toughen him up. 

this is the other side of insane. he's somewhere in the 1st but not a lock top 3 pick. Crazy talk.  

He won't get by Jacksonville you can write that statement down and bronze it. He's got too much star power for that franchise to pass him up. (khan is gonna need that star power when he moves the team to london or LA) 

clowney ran a 4.4 and then shut it down. That's a metaphor for his whole career. He isn't Lawrence Taylor part II. He's Johnny Abe Part II. You hope he plays hard when you need it.  people talk about him and JJ Watt together? JJ watt is a beast who will play hard with blood running down his face. Clowney is a dog who plays hard when the moon is in the seventh house and jupiter aligns with mars. JJ might have to haze Clowney "incognito style" to toughen him up. 

I am sorry I can not make a case for any guy that played when he wants to be the number one pick as Clowney showed at South Carolina

He won't get by Jacksonville you can write that statement down and bronze it. He's got too much star power for that franchise to pass him up. (khan is gonna need that star power when he moves the team to london or LA) 

I think he has as good a chance going early 2nd round than early 1st. 

At least as of right now. I don't think his stock changed at all yesterday but I think he's by far, the hardest prospect to figure out, in a long, long time, maybe ever?

I did say last night I don't think he gets out of the top 20, but in all seriousness, who the hell knows. Very polarizing dude. 

I am sorry I can not make a case for any guy that played when he wants to be the number one pick as Clowney showed at South Carolina

Despite being so talented, Williams has not dominated like he should. He just seems to disappear at times. For how big and athletic he is, he should just own opposing tackles. Perhaps that is because he still relies on his athleticism to make plays. Whatever the reason, it does cause some concern.

Can you imagine some of these GM's trying to explain to their fan base why they passed on Johnny:

Houston: Don't worry, Matt Schaub, hasn't lost any confidence from throwing a record number of consecutive pick 6's, and we have a very bright future with Case Keenum

Jacksonville: We still feel that Blaine Gabbert can be the guy, and with Chad Hinge? Oh Henne, I'm sorry, we feel we have a great backup

Cleveland: What are the names of our QBs?

Two particularly interesting notes from Tony Pauline at WalterFootball.com

Derek Carr is rated above Manziel by those that talk to Tony .... I admit to not watching a ton of college ball but this surprises me having watched the way Carr played against USC in the Vegas Bowl

My second observation from Tony's comments is that Colt Lyerla should hire an FBI profiler to coach him on his body language and responses ...

2014 NFL Combine Rumors: Sunday, Feb. 23, 10:30 a.m.
By Tony Pauline, http://draftinsider.net/

News and notes from the fifth day of the combine in Indianapolis.

Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida:
In conversations here in Indy it's apparent the quarterbacks stack up 1) Blake Bortles, 2) Teddy Bridgewater, 3) Derek Carr, 4) Johnny Manziel on a number of team boards.

Bortles officially announced Monday he would throw at the combine, but I was told the strong-arm quarterback decided long ago he would participate in the entire combine workout. Throwing at the combine was never a question in Bortles' mind.

New England Patriots:
Last night at dinner with a few scouts I learned that an FBI profiler was brought in to review the interview tapes of Aaron Hernandez from the 2010 combine. The profiler pointed out a number of signs during the interview which would've raised red flags had he seen it in 2010; body language, the way Hernandez answered questions, his body language answering questions. Bottom line is more teams will bring in profilers to review these interview tapes.

Follow Tony Pauline @TonyPauline.

http://walterfootball.com/combinerumors.php

Two particularly interesting notes from Tony Pauline at WalterFootball.com

Derek Carr is rated above Manziel by those that talk to Tony .... I admit to not watching a ton of college ball but this surprises me having watched the way Carr played against USC in the Vegas Bowl

Follow Tony Pauline @TonyPauline.

http://walterfootball.com/combinerumors.php

Regarding your comments on Carr, fwiw, I think Tony would be the first guy to tell you, only us regular fans will rate at a player off of one game.  I thought the same as you tbh, but just saying. No team or scout is going to make that mistake. 

if the Texans valued a player like Clowney they could have just paid Mario.  

Clowney to me, when playing at full go, which as you have posted before is suspect, is and will be a much more disruptive player to offenses than Williams.

As I said before, If he plays to his incredible potential, then he is the closest thing to LT, especially after that mind boggling 40.

Also, the dude took plays, and games off in COLLEGE, to protect from getting hurt so he could be the #1 pick, and be a monster in the pros. Is it a red flag, sure, but I think once he gets to his pro-team, that this freak will want to prove that he can be the best defensive player in the NFL. He's clearly worth the #1 pick.

Also, the dude took plays, and games off in COLLEGE, to protect from getting hurt so he could be the #1 pick, and be a monster in the pros. Is it a red flag, sure, but I think once he gets to his pro-team, that this freak will want to prove that he can be the best defensive player in the NFL. He's clearly worth the #1 pick.

what happens when Clowney takes a year off so he doesnt get hurt in free agency? Or takes a year off because he just got paid? Defenders can't turn it off and on. They should always be on. That's kinda what playing defense is all about. 

Clowney to me, when playing at full go, which as you have posted before is suspect, is and will be a much more disruptive player to offenses than Williams.

As I said before, If he plays to his incredible potential, then he is the closest thing to LT, especially after that mind boggling 40.

I gotta agree with 78 on this one. Not that I was alive, but did LT play hard every single snap at UNC? I've heard no.  I know for sure Mario didn't, Jevon Kearse didn't and Julius Peppers didn't.  It appears as though Clowney was getting some poor advice from people in his ear telling him to be careful about injuries, but that kid still played hard.  Sure, you'd like to see him have the type of relentless motor of Watt, but you can get on someone for being a dog, you can't teach them athleticism, despite what Falcon tells you.  

I was listening to Mark Schlereth talk about Clowney and just said that his type of physical talent trumps everything, you can teach him to play hard if he doesn't when he gets to the pros, which is of course assuming that he doesn't. He was saying Trevor Pryce, who was one of the best DEs i nthe league for a good 5 year stretch, was a first round pick who got by on talent alone and was pretty much a DNP for the majority of the season. Apparently the defensive-line coach lined Trevor up against every single offensive lineman in 1 on 1 and 1 on 2 drills just rotating players in there to the point where he was puking and then running it again. Schlereth said that after that, Trevor finally realized what it mean to work and play like a pro and his career just skyrocketed.  So yea, Clowney is a top 3 lock moreso than anyone else in this draft, not sure how you can even argue against it Bit.

you can teach him to play hard if he doesn't  

So yea, Clowney is a top 3 lock moreso than anyone else in this draft, not sure how you can even argue against it Bit.

how do you teach a guy to play hard? By using a cattle prod? just to be clear I am arguing against him going 1. He's likely a top 5 lock I agree with that. I just don't think a defender who takes a year off deserves that top pick. And again I don't see what he offers Houston that they didn't get out of Mario WIlliams. What's the plan, let Clowney walk after 5 years too? Who is gonna pay this guy a Mario type of second contract, knowing he only shows up half the time?  It's not that different than his older brother who showed up in preseason and the occasional early sunny home game. 

I also think the Lawrence Taylor comparison is ludicrous. Unless CLowney develops a serious mental illness/crippling cocaine addiction. What made LT so dangerous wasn't his physical gifts it was his motor. 

how do you teach a guy to play hard? By using a cattle prod? just to be clear I am arguing against him going 1. He's likely a top 5 lock I agree with that. I just don't think a defender who takes a year off deserves that top pick. And again I don't see what he offers Houston that they didn't get out of Mario WIlliams. What's the plan, let Clowney walk after 5 years too? Who is gonna pay this guy a Mario type of contract, knowing he only shows up half the time? 

I also think the Lawrence Taylor comparison is ludicrous. Unless CLowney develops a serious mental illness/crippling cocaine addiction. What made LT so dangerous wasn't his physical gifts it was his motor. 

It's anecdotal, but I quite literally just described how you teach someone to play harder.  You get 5 years of elite play at $8+ million dollars less, without the risk of breaking down in older age towards the end of the contract. 

It's anecdotal, but I quite literally just described how you teach someone to play harder.  You get 5 years of elite play at $8+ million dollars less, without the risk of breaking down in older age towards the end of the contract. 

The new CBA allows hitting in practice like 10 times a year. As fun as endless oklahoma drills on Clowney to make him want to play football sounds, it's not feasible. 

Yea, that's be a great time...if we were drafting him to be our RB.  For what it's worth, Geno beat him in the 40 by a solid tenth of a second.

idki usually put higher values on the cone/shuttle drills.

Quickly accelerate away from the rush.

i dont think geno ever did those drills tho so idk how to compare him

what happens when Clowney takes a year off so he doesnt get hurt in free agency? Or takes a year off because he just got paid? Defenders can't turn it off and on. They should always be on. That's kinda what playing defense is all about. 

He probably costs himself big money - the draft is capped. That payday isn't like a FA payday. They're not equivalent. Taking a year off because he just got paid is a possibility I guess, but that is years from now and the NFL will **** a player in a second if it has to. He's definitely a super mega duper elite prospect THO...well worthy of going first overall. 

Dear TOm Shame,

I owe you an apology. *barfs. This one time, *barfs...even though you didn't even know it, well, I made about 3-4 Cypress Hill references that you were effin crazy for saying Clowney was going #1 overall. *barffffffffs. Well, I was wrong. You were. bllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh, you were right.

Let this be a lesson to you. I only say true things.

So you want no part of him at #1 overall, by #4 or #5 works fine for you? What's the logic in that?

the logic is there are 4 or 5 better players in this class. Maybe more. He should be the #1 pick but he only had 3.5 sacks last year Cause he's a dog. 

The end of this post could put it into legendary status. On re-reading the opening sentence - maybe the whole thing. 

Archived