The New NFL Combine Thread. The other one dissolved

eboozer

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it's too Jets relevant but I really like Taylor Lewan as an OL prospect. Gabe Jackson too, and that is maybe a little more relevant to the Jets. 

taylor lewan might actually be the best out of these 3. like how lane johnson turned out the best of the 3 last year. He's a beast and comes from a UM legacy. 

Regarding your comments on Carr, fwiw, I think Tony would be the first guy to tell you, only us regular fans will rate at a player off of one game.  I thought the same as you tbh, but just saying. No team or scout is going to make that mistake.

I did preface it that I do not watch that much college ball but a fair point .. I know he performed better at the Senior Bowl ...

What's the big deal? 21 is fine. 

Meh.  The average for DL last year was 26, for DE it was 24. That's average...this kid's supposed to be a super-star. 

For said super-star, it means he hasn't spent time in the gym and has been relying on his natural athleticism.  Which can be taken one of two ways:

1) His potential to get even better is there.

or,

2) His desire to get better (now, before the biggest interview of his life) isn't there and maybe never will be. 

What's the big deal? 21 is fine. 

as Greenseed pointed out the 225 reps isn't a measure of strength. it's a measure of stamina which is an indicator of how much time a player spends in the weightroom. Even factoring his long arms into this equation it's a below average showing. 

Meh. The average for DL last year was 26, for DE it was 24. That's average...this kid's supposed to be a super-star.

For said super-star, it means he hasn't spent time in the gym and has been relying on his natural athleticism. Which can be taken one of two ways:

or,

2) His desire to get better (now, before the biggest interview of his life) isn't there and maybe never will be.

For an interior guy maybe but for a long edge rusher 21 is good enough.

I guess Clowney doesn't score any points from Bitonti for playing injured this year rather than siting out and perserving his legacy.

Clowney's "injuries" were sporadic and whimsical. Part of being an NFL defender is playing through injuries. 

This guy is Johnny Abe plus 20 pounds. He will play when he wants. 

I gotta agree with 78 on this one. Not that I was alive, but did LT play hard every single snap at UNC? I've heard no.  I know for sure Mario didn't, Jevon Kearse didn't and Julius Peppers didn't.  It appears as though Clowney was getting some poor advice from people in his ear telling him to be careful about injuries, but that kid still played hard.  Sure, you'd like to see him have the type of relentless motor of Watt, but you can get on someone for being a dog, you can't teach them athleticism, despite what Falcon tells you.  

I was listening to Mark Schlereth talk about Clowney and just said that his type of physical talent trumps everything, you can teach him to play hard if he doesn't when he gets to the pros, which is of course assuming that he doesn't. He was saying Trevor Pryce, who was one of the best DEs i nthe league for a good 5 year stretch, was a first round pick who got by on talent alone and was pretty much a DNP for the majority of the season. Apparently the defensive-line coach lined Trevor up against every single offensive lineman in 1 on 1 and 1 on 2 drills just rotating players in there to the point where he was puking and then running it again. Schlereth said that after that, Trevor finally realized what it mean to work and play like a pro and his career just skyrocketed.  So yea, Clowney is a top 3 lock moreso than anyone else in this draft, not sure how you can even argue against it Bit.

You could put an ISOLATION camera on just about any player in the NFL and watch them take plays off. No one plays 100% goo an 100% of all plays. It just doesn't happen. Do some dudes take more plays off? Of course, But with Clowneys monstrous physical talents, if the dude takes say 10% off, and is 100% go on the other 90%, then he will be a killer in the NFL. And again, I personally believe that he took college plays and games off, because basically he was bored, as he was clearly the best, and that he simply had to protect against injury so he could be #1. I would have him on my team in a heart beat.

As far as LT goes, back then, we didn't get to watch College like we can now, and him not coming from an ELITE college football program, meant we saw him on limited occasions, BUT whenever I saw that freak, he was on go and just a man amongst boys in college. Funny, I never thought he'd also be a man amongst boys in the pro's, but he was. Clowney also, a man amonst boys in college. We will see in the pro's.

Meh.  The average for DL last year was 26, for DE it was 24. That's average...this kid's supposed to be a super-star. 

For said super-star, it means he hasn't spent time in the gym and has been relying on his natural athleticism.  Which can be taken one of two ways:

or,

For positions where arm length is a big deal like the DLs (especially DEs/pass rushers) and OTs the bench is just about not sh*tting the bed. 

The other possibility is that the combine and maybe even the whole draft process is outdated in a lot of little ways. For instance there's no physical reason Clowney couldn't/shouldn't have entered the draft last year. 

looking back at the results for qbs manziel owned the 20 yard shuttle.

He also would have placed 2nd in rbs

I want him

Manziel has RB skills, as well as elite QB skills, dude is a freak and will tear it up in the NFL. No way those 1st 3 QB needy teams pass on this talent. The Jets should trade up, Its that simple.

Compaing a draft pick to Von Miller and John Abraham as insults?  Sounds horrible.  

VON MILLER too? I was chuckling at the JAbe one (I'm pretty sure he's one of the two or three best from the 2000 first round, should check that I guess)....Miller's the best pass rusher in the league when he's healthy. 

When you're just under 6'6 270 run a 4.4 and jump 37.5", yes.

These are just CRAZY numbers to wrap your head around. The dude is the size of a D-end, he jumps like a freaking Labron James, and he runs faster than most RB's and Half the WR's.

Bill Parcells swore their would never be another talent like LT, we shall see.

Manziel has RB skills, as well as elite QB skills, dude is a freak and will tear it up in the NFL. No way those 1st 3 QB needy teams pass on this talent. The Jets should trade up, Its that simple.

I just don't like the idea that people are so amped about his combine numbers and running ability for a reason why they should draft him. Besides being quicker than Geno, which admittedly will help him escape from the pocket, he's less explosive in every other aspect. If Manziel wants to make it in the NFL, he needs to make all the throws from the pocket and not worry about playing backyard football or he's going to get destroyed at his frame.  I don't think he's capable of doing, but it will certainly be interesting to see what he does next year, he's that polarizing. 

FWIW:

Manziel: 5'11" 207 lbs. 4.68 forty. 31.5" vert. 9'5" broad jump. 

Smith: 6'2"  218 lbs. 4.59 forty. 33.5" vert. 10'4" broad jump.

I just don't like the idea that people are so amped about his combine numbers and running ability for a reason why they should draft him. Besides being quicker than Geno, which admittedly will help him escape from the pocket, he's less explosive in every other aspect. If Manziel wants to make it in the NFL, he needs to make all the throws from the pocket and not worry about playing backyard football or he's going to get destroyed at his frame.  I don't think he's capable of doing, but it will certainly be interesting to see what he does next year, he's that polarizing. 

FWIW:

Manziel: 5'11" 207 lbs. 4.68 forty. 31.5" vert. 9'5" broad jump. 

Smith: 6'2"  218 lbs. 4.59 forty. 33.5" vert. 10'4" broad jump.

Five best ATHLETES from the combine:

1. Clowney

2. Cooks

3. Beckham

4. Archer

5. Manziel

Five best ATHLETES from the combine:

1. Clowney

2. Cooks

3. Beckham

4. Archer

5. Manziel

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  Besides being quick, there's simply nothing that Manziel did that was exceptional, take a look a what Logan Thomas did for a QB. Again, besides being a hair quicker, Thomas, at over 7 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier is more explosive and faster. I don't see in any world where Manziel is a top 5 athlete at this combine. 

Thomas: 6'6" 248 lbs. 4.61 foty. 35.5" vert. 9'10" broad jump. 7.05 3-cone. 4.18 20 yd shuttle.

Manziel: 5'11" 207 lbs. 4.68 forty. 31.5" vert. 9'5" broad jump. 6.75 3-cone. 4.03 20 yd shuttle.

*also just a fun fact: Geno's standing broad jump is the 6th best for a QB in the last 8 years. Dude is way more of an explosive athlete than he gets credit for.

Archived