The New NFL Combine Thread. The other one dissolved

eboozer

They told Gilbert he reminded them of Aqib Talib. Gilbert said he had no idea who Aqib Talib was.

Honestly, I'm not that surprised.  You watch a lot of interviews with some of these great DBs or WRs and they usually refer to their opponents by number and not name, because they just don't know it. A lot of these guys are just players and not fanboys like us or students of the game like some other players. I'm not saying he's not a moroon, I'm sure he is, but him not knowing Talib or other players doesn't surprise me.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their issues had far less to do with the combine and more to do with their off the field issues and work ethic. Every GM and coach who speaks at Indi says that the only thing the combine does is to reaffirm their beliefs of a player or cause them to go back and watch more tape.

Every GM and coach? Stephen Hill, Vernon Gholston, and the bowling ball with butcher knives were all combine picks. Only Gholston had a first round grade prior to the combine in his draft year. Burfict fell due to concerns about his off field indiscretions but if he runs a hot 40 and kills the combine he gets drafted. Jefferey came into the combine looking like a doughboy and he dropped. If they really wanted to look at more tape...they would have seen tons of production and talent. But they looked at measuring tape, and body fat percentage, and stop watches.

Every GM and coach? Stephen Hill, Vernon Gholston, and the bowling ball with butcher knives were all combine picks. Only Gholston had a first round grade prior to the combine in his draft year. Burfict fell due to concerns about his off field indiscretions but if he runs a hot 40 and kills the combine he gets drafted. Jefferey came into the combine looking like a doughboy and he dropped. If they really wanted to look at more tape...they would have seen tons of production and talent. But they looked at measuring tape, and body fat percentage, and stop watches.

Gholston tore up the Big 10 and Jake Long, on top of the world class physical attributes he displayed at the combine.  It's like we've been saying all along in the argument, the combine helps to reaffirm someone's opinion on a player, it doesn't 100% make or break them. 

Burflict got negative grades from his own coaches and bombed the interviews, not many teams want to give guaranteed money to that type of guy.  The same thing goes for Jeffery.  And Jeffery still got drafted in the top 50 picks, it's not as though he went undrafted.

The Florida boys getting 2nd and possibly 3rd round grades could be absolute steal for teams look for man corners.  They're both studs.

I'd love the see the Jets come away with one of the top 3 WR's, followed up by Purifoy or Roberson in the 2nd.  I'm starting to get close to my total wish list for all of you that have been waiting on the edge of their seats.

I actually wouldn't be upset if the Jets look for an OT early this year or next. Brick's contract makes him pretty much impossible to cut the next two years, but the way it's structured almost begs us to let him go or restructure after 2015. His play will dictate that obviously, but it'd be nice to be a step ahead for a change.

"Libertarian" is a catch-all term for everyone who thinks they shouldn't pay taxes, but would literally die if their garbage wasn't magically picked up by elves every Tuesday.

I have to pay for garbage pickup..

"Libertarian" is a catch-all term for everyone who thinks they shouldn't pay taxes, but would literally die if their garbage wasn't magically picked up by elves every Tuesday.

Not that I disagree with less governmental responsibilities, not that this is the forum for it, but odds are that he either heard listened to a Ronald Reagan debate or Ron/Rand Paul gave a lecture at his college.  

Not that I disagree with less governmental responsibilities, not that this is the forum for it, but odds are that he either heard listened to a Ronald Reagan debate or Ron/Rand Paul gave a lecture at his college.  

1. Actually, I originally got into politics through music. 

2. Reagan turned his back on everything he stood for.

Archived