Jordan Matthews

BroadwayJets

The more I watch his tapes, the more I want to see him in Green and White. If any of you saw it, he had a point in his interview at the combine. He was saying that he's played under a bunch of different coaches and schemes, and thrown to by a few different qbs along the way, and his numbers have stayed great. I agree. His numbers speak for themselves and he has had a fantastic college career. I believe he's going to be solid in the NFL. I hope we can grab him if Mike Evans is taken, which will probably be the case.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zero chance. Idzik doesn't draft wide receivers.

i know you are being sarcastic but the opposite is true. If a GM doesn't sign FA it means everything comes from the draft. This is how Green Bay operates for example. I believe this can be a winning strategy but it's sad to see all my fellow fans waiting for a FA bonanza that's never gonna show up. 

Why do you say round 2? What makes him a round 2 pick in your mind? After Watkins and Evans, I dont see a better WR in this draft.

even tho he ran a 4.4 in INdy he didn't get separation at the Senior Bowl. It's a very deep WR crop and someone's gotta fall. There's 2 guys who ran a legit 4.3 ( cooks and beckham ). There's sleepers like Paul Robinson and the other Clemson WR Martevious Bryant who ran legit 4.3. there's another 4.4 big guy in Donte Moncrief.

if Evans doesn't make it down, it's quesitonable to me that any of these guys are better than best available defender at that point. Jordan Matthews is not a better prospect than CB Gilbert, OLB Barr, ILB Mosely, OT Martin etc. And probably neither are those other guys. I'd rather they go BAP in rd 1 (probably not Matthews) and look for WR on the flip flop. 

i know you are being sarcastic but the opposite is true. If a GM doesn't sign FA it means everything comes from the draft. This is how Green Bay operates for example. I believe this can be a winning strategy but it's sad to see all my fellow fans waiting for a FA bonanza that's never gonna show up. 

Ah, now it all makes sense.

The FA bonanza was the Tannenbaum close but no cigar strategy.

even tho he ran a 4.4 in INdy he didn't get separation at the Senior Bowl. It's a very deep WR crop and someone's gotta fall. There's 2 guys who ran a legit 4.3 ( cooks and beckham ). There's sleepers like Paul Robinson and the other Clemson WR Martevious Bryant who ran legit 4.3. there's another 4.4 big guy in Donte Moncrief.

if Evans doesn't make it down, it's quesitonable to me that any of these guys are better than best available defender at that point. Jordan Matthews is not a better prospect than CB Gilbert, OLB Barr, ILB Mosely, OT Martin etc. And probably neither are those other guys. I'd rather they go BAP in rd 1 (probably not Matthews) and look for WR on the flip flop. 

Aren't all of the guys you mention are much smaller than Matthews? It seems to me that Matthews is bigger target who will most likely catch short routes and try to get free from there. He is a move the chains type of WR. Something this offense needs. There seems to be a lot of short shifty guys in this draft - but not a lot of big WR's that can use their body well, catch well and be quick enough on the shorter routes.

Aren't all of the guys you mention are much smaller than Matthews? It seems to me that Matthews is bigger target who will most likely catch short routes and try to get free from there. He is a move the chains type of WR. Something this offense needs. There seems to be a lot of short shifty guys in this draft - but not a lot of big WR's that can use their body well, catch well and be quick enough on the shorter routes.

I would argue the Jets basically already have this guy in David Nelson. Especially if they are sticking with Geno Smith, Nelson became his security blanket as the year progressed. Kerley is also a move the chains type of target on 3rd down (altho not big).

What the offense needs is that fast shifty guy who can take the top off the defense. The player Stephen Hill was supposed to be. 

from a pure supply/demand perspective there's a high supply and it's not likely that there are 10 first round WR. someone's gonna drop. 

You are the Nicolas Cage of Jetnation.

I would argue the Jets basically already have this guy in David Nelson. Especially if they are sticking with Geno Smith, Nelson became his security blanket as the year progressed. Kerley is also a move the chains type of target on 3rd down (altho not big).

What the offense needs is that fast shifty guy who can take the top off the defense. The player Stephen Hill was supposed to be. 

from a pure supply/demand perspective there's a high supply and it's not likely that there are 10 first round WR. someone's gonna drop. 

Fair enough. I like Beckham and Cook too. Wouldnt mind getting one of them and Matthews in the draft.

Ignore the senior bowl. It's an all-star game. I look at what he did in real games for his actual team.Dude statistically is the best WR in SEC history. I'm not going to discredit him based on an all-star game that wasn't even a bad one. Separation are for the little guy. A 6'3 wr can compete at the top for the ball. We see this all over the NFL. Not saying that separation isn't needed, I'm just saying that the guy was successful at boxing out on deep throws and making 1 handed catches as well as finding open field on shorter routes. 

http://fansided.com/2014/02/27/feldman-jordan-matthews-underrated-wr-2014-nfl-draft/#!xLH5a

Feldman: Jordan Matthews most underrated WR in 2014 NFL draft

BY PATRICK SCHMIDT - 

FEB 27TH, 2014 AT 4:34 PM

8290428.jpg

This year’s NFL draft is absolutely loaded at the wide receiver position with a distinct possibility that as many as six could be taken in the first round of May’s draft.

However, Jordan Matthews, one of the top receivers in college the past two years and the all-time leader in receptions and yards in the SEC is not among the top rated receivers in this year’s draft and that has CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman calling Matthews the most underrated player at his position.

“This draft is stacked with very good receivers. I feel like now that Beckham’s stock seems to be soaring, Matthews may be the most underrated in the group. He’s over 6-3, 212, has huge hands and ran in the mid 4.4s. The guy made a ton of plays in the SEC despite being the main focus of rival teams and he was on one of the few teams that didn’t have a standout QB.”

Matthews had 112 receptions for 1,477 yards and seven touchdowns to give him career numbers of 262 receptions, 3,759 and 24 touchdowns.

If he slips out of the first round, which appears likely, some team in the second round is going to get themselves a player who can make an immediate impact as a rookie because of his size, speed and hands, but what separates him from others in this class is his crisp route-running ability.

Maybe trade back 8-10 spots, pick him up along with another pick...then a TE in round 2.

Although Id much rather BAP...if Maklin is resigned in Philly...I hit FA hard on defense, and go BAP draft for offense.

Ignore the senior bowl. It's an all-star game. I look at what he did in real games for his actual team.Dude statistically is the best WR in SEC history. I'm not going to discredit him based on an all-star game that wasn't even a bad one. Separation are for the little guy. A 6'3 wr can compete at the top for the ball. We see this all over the NFL. Not saying that separation isn't needed, I'm just saying that the guy was successful at boxing out on deep throws and making 1 handed catches as well as finding open field on shorter routes. 

that all can be true but the Jets already have a big guy with good hands who doesn't get separation his name is David Nelson. They need the 4.3 burner. That's the guy they can't find on the street. 

that all can be true but the Jets already have a big guy with good hands who doesn't get separation his name is David Nelson. They need the 4.3 burner. That's the guy they can't find on the street. 

The Chicago bears dont have a 4.3 guy at their #1 and #2 spots. They did just fine in the passing game. And Jordan Matthews is better than David Nelson. 

The Chicago bears dont have a 4.3 guy at their #1 and #2 spots. They did just fine in the passing game. And Jordan Matthews is better than David Nelson. 

ok but is Jordan Matthews gonna be Brandon Marshall? if so sign me up. Moncreif might be Marshall too. if memory serves Marshall was a 3rd round?

I don't really have a preference other than the Jets not reach at 18 and get whoever is of value. If it's not a WR they shouldn't force it. Jordan Matthews feels like a pick in the 40s not a pick in the teens. 

The Jets have one of those too.  Unfortunately, he just can't stay healthy or catch the ball reliably when he does.

ok but is Jordan Matthews gonna be Brandon Marshall? if so sign me up. Moncreif might be Marshall too. if memory serves Marshall was a 3rd round?

I don't really have a preference other than the Jets not reach at 18 and get whoever is of value. If it's not a WR they shouldn't force it. Jordan Matthews feels like a pick in the 40s not a pick in the teens. 

I can agree with that. I think that Matthews is a mid first to early 2nd round pick. Matthews most likely won't make it to pick 49. I'm very high on Matthews because I think he's the most polished of the available WR's. He may not have the highest ceiling, but I think that he will have a better overall 1st season than any other wr in this class because he has less parts to his game to really work on. This view is based on his consistency, the fact that HE didn't come out early and the adversity he worked through with different coaches and coordinators. And unlike the other top WR's, he didnt have a top qb throwing him the ball or having another weapon on the field to take attention away from him. 2 weeks ago he was too slow, then he runs a 40 faster than Lee...twice. Mix that in with the fact that through all that he manages to be statistically the best wr ever in the SEC......taking him at 18 isn't a reach in my book

Archived