I just watched Midget Manzeil on Gruden Football camp

joewillie78

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree with your assessment of those players, my point is simply that if your benchmark is three of the NFL's all-time greatest busts, you're really setting it exceptionally low.  There's plenty of unbelievably awful players who wanted to win far more than any of them; desire does not ensure capability.

I agree, but "not caring" does ensure failure.

Jamarcus Russell, a #1 pick could care less.

Ryan Leaf, a #2 pick could care less.

Jeff George, a freak for talent could care less

Yes, their are guys out there that want it and want to win way more than others. Manziel is one of those. He willed those Texas A+M teams to victory.

Oh no, INTANGIBLES, there I said it.

Excellent point. Manziel was very Ken Dorsey like in his ability to win games in college.

Jamarcus Russell, a #1 pick could care less.

Ryan Leaf, a #2 pick could care less.

Jeff George, a freak for talent could care less

Yes, their are guys out there that want it and want to win way more than others. Manziel is one of those. He willed those Texas A+M teams to victory.

Oh no, INTANGIBLES, there I said it.

And I'm sure that they said as much during their interviews. Plus I guarantee you every one of those 3 self-absorbed dickheads wanted to win.

I am not a fan of Manziel....I think his game is great for college.  However, when there is not a significant difference in the quality of athlete from week to week I do not think he will be able to makes the plays he was able to make in college.   

Heisman Trophy winning QBs do not tend to fare well in the pros....I think it is a curse...

A lot of people "got the feeling" that Manziel valued his own off-field activities too much. See how easy that was?

Could be, but as long as he's great ON the field, ala Joewillie, Big Ben, Kenny Stabler, and other dudes, that like a good time, then I'm fine with it.

Its the guys like I mentioned that were awful ON the field that I don't want.

I am not a fan of Manziel....I think his game is great for college.  However, when there is not a significant difference in the quality of athlete from week to week I do not think he will be able to makes the plays he was able to make in college.   

Heisman Trophy winning QBs do not tend to fare well in the pros....I think it is a curse...

Knicks need a new point.

Interesting so I went back 30 years to see how it really looks because I feel the same but didn't trust my memory.

Flutie

Testeverde

Andre Ware

Detmer

Toretta

Ward

Wuerffel

Weinke

Crouch

Palmer

Jason White (Who?)

Leinart

Troy Smith

Tebow

Bradford

Newton

RG III

God that is a horrible list.

Testeverde, Palmer and Newton (maybe Bradford and RG III but it's early) are the only guys out of those 17 that have made any mark on the NFL.  If you want to count Tebow and his one (entertaining) playoff win, go ahead.  But it's safe to say the Heisman is not a strong predictor of QB greatness in the NFL.

LOL I ran through this thread to see if there was a response and it was conveniently disregarded, of course.  

Yeah, Manziel has almost reached Tebow-like levels of divisiveness among the posters.  People mostly either love him or dislike him strongly.  I just think the possibility he's Doug Flutie with a bad attitude is too high to risk a first round pick on him.  (yes, I know he's taller than Flutie was, but so is everyone else in the league compared to that time).  I accept the possibility he could prove me wrong but I'd hate the pick if Idzik made it.

Interesting so I went back 30 years to see how it really looks because I feel the same but didn't trust my memory.

Flutie

Testeverde

Detmer

Toretta

Ward

Wuerffel

Weinke

Palmer

Jason White (Who?)

Leinart

Troy Smith

Tebow

Bradford

Newton

RG III

Testeverde, Palmer and Newton (maybe Bradford and RG III but it's early) are the only guys out of those 15 that have made any mark on the NFL.  If you want to count Tebow and his one (entertaining) playoff win, go ahead.  But it's safe to say the Heisman is not a strong predictor of QB greatness in the NFL.

I see you conveniently left out the one that won 2 Superbowls.

I see you conveniently left out the one that won 2 Superbowls.

The list I looked at was badly formatted.  I actually missed at least two that I added back in.  Crouch and Ware.  Whoever you're referring to (Plunkett?  Staubach?) are more than 30 years ago.  I decided to draw a line somewhere.

The list I looked at was badly formatted.  I actually missed at least two that I added back in.  Crouch and Ware.  Whoever you're referring to (Plunkett?  Staubach?) are more than 30 years ago.  I decided to draw a line somewhere.

No problem. I know, its been awhile, and the last few have been awful. Somehow, I don't see Johnny Jet or Famous Jamies, adding to the latest "legacy".

Flutie

Testeverde

Andre Ware

Detmer

Toretta

Ward

Wuerffel

Weinke

Crouch

Palmer

Jason White (Who?)

Leinart

Troy Smith

Tebow

Bradford

Newton

RG III

Testeverde, Palmer and Newton (maybe Bradford and RG III but it's early) are the only guys out of those 17 that have made any mark on the NFL. If you want to count Tebow and his one (entertaining) playoff win, go ahead. But it's safe to say the Heisman is not a strong predictor of QB greatness in the NFL.

Charlie Ward would of been w Brady and Manning. Jmo. IMO greatest college QB I've ever seen.

Charlie Ward would of been w Brady and Manning. Jmo. IMO greatest college QB I've ever seen.

Really, the reason this list is so long and distinguished is because the idiotic Heisman voters ALWAYS feel that they have to choose a frigging QB, when many, many of those years, the best player was NOT a QB, and in some cases it was not even close.

Just going back a few years, NDAMAKHAN SUH was by far the best player his year. AND if you want to go to the GREATEST ripoff in Heisman history, go back to the year 1971, when a terrible QB named PAT SULLIVAN from Auburn was voted the winner over clearly the best player in the nation that year who finished runnerup and his name was :

ED MARINARO RB CORNELL UNIVERSITY

GO BIG RED.

I'm more concerned that his acrobatics are going to get his knee blown out if I'm a GM more than anything he's saying on a staged interview with Gruden. I don't see him going as high as people think. The athleticism in this league is good enough to catch him on these plays he's making in college

Johnny will get crushed in the pros if they let him run around.

His Barry Sanders routine is bad because Pro O lineman get their legs torn up blocking in 1 direction and then suddenly unbeknown to them the play is going in the other direction. The other thing is that he has Brett Farve in him throwing the ball up in triple coverage with a hope and prayer that his guy will catch it.

Watch him go to the Browns. The kiss of death.

Johnny will get crushed in the pros if they let him run around.

His Barry Sanders routine is bad because Pro O lineman get their legs torn up blocking in 1 direction and then suddenly unbeknown to them the play is going in the other direction. The other thing is that he has Brett Farve in him throwing the ball up in triple coverage with a hope and prayer that his guy will catch it.

Watch him go to the Browns. The kiss of death.

A "strike" against him is because he has a future 1st ballot HOF in him? Wow, I hope he also has some bad traits from Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. That would be awful, wouldn't it?

Archived