True Detective **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

RutgersJetFan

To echo some sentiments, I'm digging the show on its own merits while desperately avoiding comparisons to S1. Vaughn is trying way too hard, but he hit his stride as he became more unhinged in E2. His opening monologue thing with the rat story was not something Vince Vaughn is capable of pulling off. McAdams and Kitsch are fine, but it's 100% Farrell's show (obviously). The whole season is going to ride on how much we buy into his redemption.

As far as Pizzolato's storytelling, it's not what he does well. He makes his characters say interesting things, but there's no real plan for most of it. It's a lot of sassy words signifying little, then explication, then a payoff of the explication. In the great shows, few words or scenes are wasted. With TD, it's, Grim philosophical conversations with increasingly cynical retorts...then a clue(!)...which brings them to a house with another clue!...then, brooding [fade to black]

Which is fine. If the stylization is good enough, you'll forgive a little roundabout storytelling. Like when a hot chick is telling you a story about how her cat was missing for three days but ended up being in the attic the whole time. That's True Detective.

Good ******* grief.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the episode again last night...honestly in love with this show. The pace of the first two episodes of this season is completely different from the first two of last season, yet just as entertaining. 

Rachel's part in this story is starting to grow on me, and I really want to see where her ****ed up past meets her broken present.

Yeah. I think if you take a step back and remember season 1, aside from a handful of amazingly shot scenes, the majority of the best parts are just Rust and Marty shooting the sh*t. And sure, they overdo it on exposition but both leads are doing it so well that you don't give a sh*t. I think Pizzolato deserves a lot of credit for not trying to recreate a single thing at all, not that he could with anyone except Farrell anyways.

I think McAdams was an inevitability because they came under a lot of fire for every woman in the first season being a wife or a slut or someone's kid, and supposedly that's the only piece of criticism that really bit at Pizzolato. It's clear that there's a deeper backstory with her and I'm looking forward to seeing where it's going. It's just...I dunno, this is going to sound awful but she is just so ******* hot. And that's an incredibly unfair and sexist and horrific thing to say but I'm sorry, it's hard to ignore it. Especially when you've got her checking out quartz vaginas and the first time you see her she's in her underwear intimidating some dude with her love of buttsex.

Yeah. I think if you take a step back and remember season 1, aside from a handful of amazingly shot scenes, the majority of the best parts are just Rust and Marty shooting the sh*t. And sure, they overdo it on exposition but both leads are doing it so well that you don't give a sh*t. I think Pizzolato deserves a lot of credit for not trying to recreate a single thing at all, not that he could with anyone except Farrell anyways.

I think McAdams was an inevitability because they came under a lot of fire for every woman in the first season being a wife or a slut or someone's kid, and supposedly that's the only piece of criticism that really bit at Pizzolato. It's clear that there's a deeper backstory with her and I'm looking forward to seeing where it's going. It's just...I dunno, this is going to sound awful but she is just so ******* hot. And that's an incredibly unfair and sexist and horrific thing to say but I'm sorry, it's hard to ignore it. Especially when you've got her checking out quartz vaginas and the first time you see her she's in her underwear intimidating some dude with her love of buttsex.

I had written the same exact words in the same exact order in my prior post, and then deleted them before posting because of your very next line. But Goddamn it, it's the truth. 

I think it's Vince Vaughn's assistant who sort of mockingly interacts with him, despite being an obvious subordinate.

Following up on this, it is this guy, the orange-haired assistant, that gives the hooker in the night club the little notebook that she writes the address in for Caspere's 2nd house. The house that Farrell get shot in. So, you could easily conclude that this guy was the only one that knew both the address and that Vaughn was going to ask Farrell to go there. 

So, like I said, my working theory is that the birdhead killer is the ginger assistant that clearly harbors some lack of respect for Vaughn's character, despite working for him. Given the few scenes in which he's sort of passively mocked him in their interactions. I see this developing into him sabotaging Vaughn in a power play of some sort.

The other thing that has me thinking is why would Farrell, who is talking about suicide at the bar with Vaughn, be wearing a bullet proof vest? Somethings feels off with that logic, if that is in fact how they keep his character alive going forward.

Following up on this, it is this guy, the orange-haired assistant, that gives the hooker in the night club the little notebook that she writes the address in for Caspere's 2nd house. The house that Farrell get shot in. So, you could easily conclude that this guy was the only one that knew both the address and that Vaughn was going to ask Farrell to go there. 

So, like I said, my working theory is that the birdhead killer is the ginger assistant that clearly harbors some lack of respect for Vaughn's character, despite working for him. Given the few scenes in which he's sort of passively mocked him in their interactions. I see this developing into him sabotaging Vaughn in a power play of some sort.

The other thing that has me thinking is why would Farrell, who is talking about suicide at the bar with Vaughn, be wearing a bullet proof vest? Somethings feels off with that logic, if that is in fact how they keep his character alive going forward.

The ambitious, scheming #2 man is one of the most overused and hackneyed plot devices in all of God's creation. It's so lame that one would be mocked if they proposed such an element in a freshman creative writing course. So, yeah, I guess that's in play.

The ambitious, scheming #2 man is one of the most overused and hackneyed plot devices in all of God's creation. It's so lame that one would be mocked if they proposed such an element in a freshman creative writing course. So, yeah, I guess that's in play.

Well, if season 1 is any indication, the plot behind the crime itself doesn't need to be some ground-breaking, get all the insecure intellectuals on the interwebz attention great moment in television, since he's using crime drama as a context for some other artistic exposition altogether, amiright?

Also, it's going to suck for you all when I end up being right after two episodes.

literary-cat.png

Well, if season 1 is any indication, the plot behind the crime itself doesn't need to be some ground-breaking, get all the insecure intellectuals on the interwebz attention great moment in television, since he's using crime drama as a context for some other artistic exposition altogether, amiright?

Also, it's going to suck for you all when I end up being right after two episodes.

You're such an elitist

american classic brah, serizz bizzness

In all seriousness, you would be laughed out of the Academy of Esteemed Literary Pundits & Pontificators, with this inferior mindset and the artificial slang you use to perpetuate the myth that you are an equal among the common folk. Tsk tsk.

Tonight's episode is going to require a rewatch for me. Vaughn got interesting. Definitely setting up my theory about his ginger assistant. Too distracted to garner much more from it.

Ballers is worst show I've seen since Entoursge. ******* wahlberg.

rmdSx.gif

I can't take anymore. This show is beyond pretentious. Dialogue is often cringe worthy. While Farrell is good, he alone can't save this season like McConaughey and Harrelson's acting, Fukunaga's directing, and Daddario's breasts did for last season.

I'm sincerely hoping that Woodrugh did some beyond horrific sh*t. They've been drawing it out enough, so I'm hoping for a poignant scene where he finally comes clean with it, and soon. It would be kind of lame if they saved it all for the finale.

McAdams and Farrell have a pretty great, slowly built up chemistry with each other. There's clearly a mutual respect between the two and they convey it well amongst all the negative space.

And A+ to Pizzolato for the constant making fun of E cigarettes. I hate those things.

I'm sincerely hoping that Woodrugh did some beyond horrific sh*t. They've been drawing it out enough, so I'm hoping for a poignant scene where he finally comes clean with it, and soon. It would be kind of lame if they saved it all for the finale.

McAdams and Farrell have a pretty great, slowly built up chemistry with each other. There's clearly a mutual respect between the two and they convey it well amongst all the negative space.

And A+ to Pizzolato for the constant making fun of E cigarettes. I hate those things.

I like that Farrell used the e-cig as a way of complimenting McAdams, almost flirting. While Kitsch sort of had the bitchy reaction you'd expect from one of your gay friends to have about it. It's like Pizz used those two scenes to juxtapose sexuality in some goofy way. 

I like that Farrell used the e-cig as a way of complimenting McAdams, almost flirting. While Kitsch sort of had the bitchy reaction you'd expect from one of your gay friends to have about it. It's like Pizz used those two scenes to juxtapose sexuality in some goofy way.

My favorite is when someone busts one of those out in a restaurant or bar. Put the ******* robot dick away, you look ridiculous.

Liked Farrell more than McConaughey

I think Farrel is a better actor, feel like McConaughey over did it.

That's poor storytelling if you ask me and that was my problem with season one and why I wouldn't put this show up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad, ect. I'll still watch for the performances, Pizzolatto does allow his actors to act. I'll also keep watching for the beautiful shots, which were the highlight of Sundays episode.

rmdSx.gif

I can't take anymore. This show is beyond pretentious. Dialogue is often cringe worthy. While Farrell is good, he alone can't save this season like McConaughey and Harrelson's acting, Fukunaga's directing, and Daddario's breasts did for last season.

Have you flipped a little on the show?  lol

This reminds me of me with Walking Dead, hated it at first, the loved it, then hated it it but I'm addicted and watch every episode.

Having a hard time with this season.  It's just not that good.  Dialogue is laughable at times.  And neither McAdams or Vaughn are even close to convincing in their roles, like, not in the slightest.  Sucks because I love Vaughn but this is reminding me of his Psycho performance...just out of his reach.  McAdams just cant act, period.

Still, I'm intrigued.  I think the story is strong enough to keep me to the end but its a shame that they are even calling this "True Detective", IMO.  Because its nothing like the first season and you cant help but compare when they're really not comparable.  Should have just called it something else and I think I'd be enjoying it more. 

However, if you stay up to watch Ballers...it could be worse.  lmfao.  What a terrible POS that show is. 

Have you flipped a little on the show?  lol

This reminds me of me with Walking Dead, hated it at first, the loved it, then hated it it but I'm addicted and watch every episode.

The story is criminally boring. The actors outside of Farrel are outside their depth, and aren't giving any favors with hilariously bad dialogue. I consistently haven't liked the story, writing, dialogue of the show in S1 or S2, but at least S1 had some redeeming qualities, but there has been very little of that in season 2. Even the overhead shots I liked now just seem lazy and repetitive. I'm sure Pizzolatto lost his credibility with many people by fake killing Farrell's character. 

"That guy is half anaconda half great white" come on really?

However, if you stay up to watch Ballers...it could be worse.  lmfao.  What a terrible POS that show is. 

I said it before, HBO's Sunday programming going from Game of Thrones, Veep, and Silicon Valley to True Detective, Ballers, and The Brink is a HUGE downgrade.

I said it before, HBO's Sunday programming going from Game of Thrones, Veep, and Silicon Valley to True Detective, Ballers, and The Brink is a HUGE downgrade.

Ballers is so bad. And I can't stop watching. I think Wahlberg does voodoo or something because it makes no sense how I watch all his sh*t.

The story is criminally boring. The actors outside of Farrel are outside their depth, and aren't giving any favors with hilariously bad dialogue. I consistently haven't liked the story, writing, dialogue of the show in S1 or S2, but at least S1 had some redeeming qualities, but there has been very little of that in season 2. Even the overhead shots I liked now just seem lazy and repetitive. I'm sure Pizzolatto lost his credibility with many people by fake killing Farrell's character. 

"That guy is half anaconda half great white" come on really?

IMO, the major problem with this season's story is that nobody really cares who the killer is or if they even catch him, so the entire investment of the viewer hinges on how much you care about what the characters are doing outside of the central plot arc. In S1, even when it lagged and McConaughey/Harrelson started getting a little repetitive, you still wanted to find out who the psycho serial killer was, so it kept your attention. This season, who cares if they catch the guy who killed the perv creep mobbed-up comptroller?

As far as McAdams, if she's going to be one-note, and that note is PMSy prom queen, then it's going to get progressively tougher to watch her opposite Farrell. Hers was the most dubious casting choice, because she's essentially a Neutrogena model that acts in her spare time.  

As far as McAdams, if she's going to be one-note, and that note is PMSy prom queen, then it's going to get progressively tougher to watch her opposite Farrell. Hers was the most dubious casting choice, because she's essentially a Neutrogena model that acts in her spare time.

I don't understand how you're still single.

IMO, the major problem with this season's story is that nobody really cares who the killer is or if they even catch him, so the entire investment of the viewer hinges on how much you care about what the characters are doing outside of the central plot arc. In S1, even when it lagged and McConaughey/Harrelson started getting a little repetitive, you still wanted to find out who the psycho serial killer was, so it kept your attention. This season, who cares if they catch the guy who killed the perv creep mobbed-up comptroller?

I do not think it is meant to be. 

IMHO Birdman is more of an ancillary character.  I do not think this season is going to be based around the capture of him/her or a killer.

I go back to what Farrell asked of McAdams at the end of E2, something to the effect of why would you select them to lead an investigation?  McAdams who has some deep rooted issues with men and/or sexual deviation..plus she does not exactly hide it.  Farrell a cop on the take that everyone thinks killed his wife's rapist.  Klitsch who is under investigation for getting a BJ from a starlet and did some shady sh*t as a military guy and/or contractor.  Plus, that 4th guy who is shady as fark.  Not exactly a dream team you would want to lead an investigation unless you wanted it to be immediately questionable after coming out.  Or you go the "A few good men" route and you want them to go in a direction that collection of misfits will likely go down.  Farrell discovering some righteousness might be what brings it off the rails.

Cui bono?  Vinci vs. State of California seems a little too simplistic.  The Russian mob guy?  A power play from Vaughn's #2?  

Would have liked far more development on the actual shooting, why wasn't more emphasis put on why Farrell was spared by this seemingly psychotic killer who is obviously into some deep pschological sh*t. I also thought more could have been put into Frank's guy getting killed, or at least it could have been done much better as it was a pretty interesting development. 

The introduction to even more sleazy characters and more potential sub-plots just seemed unnecessary for now. I mean we get that the Mayor isn't the cleanest guy in the city, but it's cartoonish at this point. That whole scene seemed so bizarre in the context of what's going on. The wide context may pay off huge but it's a lot to take in, especially as a lot of the major characters still feel underdeveloped. The gay dude in particular, who's just becoming annoying at the minute but you feel there's something interesting there. I can't get into McAdams' character at all. I'm only invested in Vaughn and Farrell and even that's generally from previous episodes.  

The actual scenes were also pretty poorly done. I wasn't a fan of the spontaneous Fight Club or the amateurish police chase. They were bad enough to ensure this isn't just Wire Season One/Two stuff where you only appreciate it how utterly brilliant it is when it comes together. It was shoddy at best.

I'm willing to accept that the story is a completely different format to season one and I don't like comparing the two, but it's sad to think that at this point last season we had the "Monster at the end" of the dream speech, which pretty much meant you couldn't not watch the next episode. As TS pointed out there's just not a huge amount to be invested in and I only know I'm going to watch next week I have nothing else to do on Monday nights. 

I do not think it is meant to be. 

IMHO Birdman is more of an ancillary character.  I do not think this season is going to be based around the capture of him/her or a killer.

I go back to what Farrell asked of McAdams at the end of E2, something to the effect of why would you select them to lead an investigation?  McAdams who has some deep rooted issues with men and/or sexual deviation..plus she does not exactly hide it.  Farrell a cop on the take that everyone thinks killed his wife's rapist.  Klitsch who is under investigation for getting a BJ from a starlet and did some shady sh*t as a military guy and/or contractor.  Plus, that 4th guy who is shady as fark.  Not exactly a dream team you would want to lead an investigation unless you wanted it to be immediately questionable after coming out.  Or you go the "A few good men" route and you want them to go in a direction that collection of misfits will likely go down.  Farrell discovering some righteousness might be what brings it off the rails.

Cui bono?  Vinci vs. State of California seems a little too simplistic.  The Russian mob guy?  A power play from Vaughn's #2?  

I think they'll give us the identity of the killer at some point, but it's already a secondary storyline. The only mystery they keep teasing is when, exactly, will Farrell bang McAdams?

I think they're setting up Vaughn's #2 to be the killer for the same reason they wanted viewers to disprove that McConaughey was the Yellow King--it's too obvious, almost. I do think it ends up being a Bad News Bears story, where all of these rejects rally together to win the day. It'll probably end up ***SPOILER ALERT BROS***being Kitsch when it's all said and done. The final scene will be in the hangar, Kitsch and McAdams staring at the suspect board (Farrell will have been outcast from the group at this point, after banging McAdams), with McAdams figuring out that it was Kitsch all! along! Kitsch will choke McAdams to death just before Farrell (who simultaneously figures it out, as seen in cutaways where he's driving around) rushes in and beats Kitsch to death with his bare hands. Farrell will stand up, light a cigarette (the camera closing in on his bloodied knuckles), and (after a longing stare into McAdams' cold, dead eyes) turns to leave when the older cop opens the hangar door and runs in. Farrell will brush past him, say some sh*t like "case is closed" or "we got him," before symbolically walking out into the sunlight. Then, music.

Archived