Charlie Whitehurst signs for 2 years, 'up to' $8M

slats

With a career 64.9 passer rating, and 1-3 record as a starter. o_0

Charlie Whitehurst joins Ken Whisenhunt in Tennessee

Posted by Josh Alper on March 13, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT

Getty Images

For the second time in his NFL career, quarterback Charlie Whitehurst has left the Chargers to seek his fortune elsewhere.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports that Whitehurst has agreed to a two-year deal with the Titans that is worth up to $8 million. The signing reunites Whitehurst with Titans head coach Ken Whisenhunt, who was the offensive coordinator in San Diego last season.

It also likely means that the Titans will be parting ways with Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is due to make $2.75 million next season and has a $500,000 roster bonus due in the next few days. While Jake Locker’s injury history is daunting, that’s too much money to devote to the second and third spots on the depth chart.

Whitehurst saw action in two games for the Chargers last season, but didn’t throw a pass. The last time he did that was in 2011, his second season with the Seahawks and had his best NFL moment in Week 17 of the 2010 season when he beat the Rams to secure a division title for Seattle. One of the worst came the next year when he and Colt McCoy hooked up in a 6-3 Browns win that featured 435 yard of offense between the two teams.

Whitehurst’s departure briefly left the Chargers with Brad Sorensen as the only quarterback behind Philip Rivers, but they have quickly added Kellen Clemens. And the great backup quarterback carousel spins on.

charlie whitehurt might rank as the most overpaid player in NFL history

It's amazing to me. Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez has a better career passer rating, and a winning record in both the regular and post season. It has to be frustrating for him to be tied up in limbo here.

It's amazing to me. Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez has a better career passer rating, and a winning record in both the regular and post season. It has to be frustrating for him to be tied up in limbo here.

Mark Sanchez is being held hostage by our great GM and owner.

Not counting his rookie deal with chargers he made 8M to do nothing in Seattle for two years, another 4M to go back to chargers and do nothing there for two years and now 8M to go do nothing in Tennessee.

Yeah, i wonder what idiot team is going to overpay Sanchez with a bad contract.

When you see two years, $8M for freaking Charlie Whitehurst, it makes you wonder what Sanchez is worth out there. Have to wonder, too, if the Jets are quietly trying to trade him before they release him.

Yes poor Mark Sanchez-

Where does his future lie? If he was released he would surely have a job by now. This is about the person Mark Sanchez to me. What Idzik and Woody are doing is holding him hostage so all the teams sign QBs and he has no choice but to take a massive cut in pay to remain here. Again the NFL is a business.

Where does his future lie? If he was released he would surely have a job by now. This is about the person Mark Sanchez to me. What Idzik and Woody are doing is holding him hostage so all the teams sign QBs and he has no choice but to take a massive cut in pay to remain here. Again the NFL is a business.

Welcome to Cleveland mark

Ryan Fitzpatrick will shake loose. Anyone?

It actually wouldn't surprise me. But will be hard to preach competition for geno with such a signing. But it would certainly fit what we have seen this far and can serve as gravel in a pothole

When you see two years, $8M for freaking Charlie Whitehurst, it makes you wonder what Sanchez is worth out there. Have to wonder, too, if the Jets are quietly trying to trade him before they release him.

I think this is exactly what they're doing.  If the QB market dries up lightning-fast then they might get something.  Probably not, but it's a guarantee we'll get nothing if we cut him immediately.

I think this is exactly what they're doing. If the QB market dries up lightning-fast then they might get something. Probably not, but it's a guarantee we'll get nothing if we cut him immediately.

Also as it dries up we have more leverage to get him to take a pay cut if we get left out in the cold as unpalatable as that sounds

Also as it dries up we have more leverage to get him to take a pay cut if we get left out in the cold as unpalatable as that sounds

No doubt.

The only move that removes these options is cutting him well before his bonus is due, while we don't need the immediate cap room.

No doubt.

The only move that removes these options is cutting him well before his bonus is due, while we don't need the immediate cap room.

Back to Charlie whitehurst if he has a hot wife too I am going to kill myself

1 - I didn't even realize Whitehurst was still in the NFL

2 - that's one of this things I really like about Idzik.   He doesn't make a move until he absolutely needs to.    He traded Revis at the last moment before the draft last year and he isn't going to do anything with Sanchez until the minute before the bonus is due.   

Why be quiet about it? Tell the world and get the best offer you can no?

Trying to trade him?  The only think you would tell the world is that you love Mark and appreciate what he can do for the team.  You are happy to have him on the roster and competing in 2014.  You don't get any better offer for a guy when everybody knows he is going to be moved or cut.  See Sproles, Darren.

I'm at the point where if we can't trade Sanchez, we just keep him. The whole "he'll be a distraction to Geno" narrative is manufactured, the guy has always shown he is a good teammate. So what if we pay the backup more, at least he may be capable.

If the exchange is Sanchez for Vick, it's even. Both have shown they are capable of 20+ turnovers per year. Might as well just roll with Mark, it's not like we're pushing him out there as the starter. Seattle paid Flynn gobs of money as a backup.

I'm at the point where if we can't trade Sanchez, we just keep him. The whole "he'll be a distraction to Geno" narrative is manufactured, the guy has always shown he is a good teammate. So what if we pay the backup more, at least he may be capable.

If the exchange is Sanchez for Vick, it's even. Both have shown they are capable of 20+ turnovers per year. Might as well just roll with Mark, it's not like we're pushing him out there as the starter. Seattle paid Flynn gobs of money as a backup.

Plus as far as we know Sancho has not killed any dogs with his bare hands, that is always a plus.

Trying to trade him? The only think you would tell the world is that you love Mark and appreciate what he can do for the team. You are happy to have him on the roster and competing in 2014. You don't get any better offer for a guy when everybody knows he is going to be moved or cut. See Sproles, Darren.

In most situations I agree with you, but I think that angle is futile with Sanchez.

Everyone knows he is either getting traded or cut and there is zero chance of him coming back. The fanbase would act like they gave birth to a watermelon from their pooper if Sanchez was brought back, the rest of the free world knows this.

Why be quiet about it? Tell the world and get the best offer you can no?

In most situations I agree with you, but I think that angle is futile with Sanchez.

Everyone knows he is either getting traded or cut and there is zero chance of him coming back. The fanbase would act like they gave birth to a watermelon from their pooper if Sanchez was brought back, the rest of the free world knows this.

Everyone knows, but we should tell the world?  If everyone knows, why do we have to tell them?  Again. 

Everyone knows, but we should tell the world?  If everyone knows, why do we have to tell them?  Again. 

I was simply saying there is no need to do it quietly, and act like it's some big secret. I am not saying we need to take out an ad in the paper asking if anyone is looking for a crappy QB coming off a shoulder injury..... I was really exaggerating based on the post about being a super secret spy mission.

I was simply saying there is no need to do it quietly, and act like it's some big secret. I am not saying we need to take out an ad in the paper asking if anyone is looking for a crappy QB coming off a shoulder injury..... I was really exaggerating based on the post about being a super secret spy mission.

Charlie Whitehurst got 2 for $8M.

Archived