Patterson Signing Raises Questions

flgreen

You're also missing the fact that Cro is taller and built to play outside. 

Love this and the Jacoby signing. Gives us depth in areas of perceived "weakness." Free agency is about plugging holes so you can draft the best available player in every round and not draft needs. Think Idzik is performing very well. 

I'd probably give Idzik a C+ at this point. Signing Decker and basically replacing Austin with the guy from the Raiders at a cheaper price were both very good moves. I think Jacoby Ford is a good signing. The hole at CB still remains, however, and I still think he dropped the ball with Mevis. Patterson may have been a good signing if they had a solid starting CB, but the jury's still very much out on Milliner, and the guy after him on the depth chart is Kyle Wilson. A rookie corner will take at least a year to develop, so where does that leave us next season?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd probably give Idzik a C+ at this point. Signing Decker and basically replacing Austin with the guy from the Raiders at a cheaper price were both very good moves. I think Jacoby Ford is a good signing. The hole at CB still remains, however, and I still think he dropped the ball with Mevis. Patterson may have been a good signing if they had a solid starting CB, but the jury's still very much out on Milliner, and the guy after him on the depth chart is Kyle Wilson. A rookie corner will take at least a year to develop, so where does that leave us next season?

What, you aren't already planning your 8-8 party for Janurary like Idzik and Rex?

But he's better than Patterson and worth the extra 500k, that's the point. If both Cro and Patterson are stop gaps for an upcoming draft pick wouldn't it make more sense to pay the extra 500k which is nothing in order to have a better CB with more experience in the system and more ability to teach that system to a rookie? I don't see how anyone can sugarcoat this move, it makes no sense.

Cro was pretty bad last year and he wasn't going to get any better with his hip. 

At this time, last year, we had Cro and Kyle Wilson as the only two starting caliber CBs on the roster. Cro stunk the entire year, and Milliner this year would be an upgrade over how poorly Cro played last yr. So are we in a better spot? Absolutely. But we need to go CB in the first or second round. I would've preferred WR n TE in the first two rounds, but it is what it is. Idzik doesn't perceive this roster to be one CB or one WR away from contending. He wants to give him QB another year to develop n roll forward the cap to next yr n get several players to make a deep playoff push. Plus, Brady will not be his usual self in 2015 I believe, when he'd be 38 yrs old.

But he's better than Patterson and worth the extra 500k, that's the point. If both Cro and Patterson are stop gaps for an upcoming draft pick wouldn't it make more sense to pay the extra 500k which is nothing in order to have a better CB with more experience in the system and more ability to teach that system to a rookie? I don't see how anyone can sugarcoat this move, it makes no sense.

In all fairness, after seeing a comparison between the contracts, Idzik made the better deal re: Patterson and Cromartie. 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/4/2/5575332/comparing-antonio-cromarties-contract-to-dimitri-pattersons-contract

Many people are upset with Dimitri Patterson receiving $3M from the New York Jets, since this is only $500k less than what Antonio Cromartie received from the Arizona Cardinals. The thinking is, Cromartie can play at a high level (even if he was truly godawful last year), so why didn't the Jets pony up the measly difference? This article won't go into the merits of Cromartie vs. Patterson, except to note only that the team, which has more inside information on his health status than anyone else, decided Patterson was a better pick from a value perspective.

Like most contracts, the devil is in the details here. You can look at the $3M vs. $3.5M numbers and say it was a small amount, but you would be wrong, as our dear friend Mr. Mehta is in this situation. Let's take a closer look.

Name                     Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Cap Number Dead Money Cap Savings

Antonio Cromartie $2,250,000   $1,000,000          $250,000             $0                     $4,000,000     $3,250,000      $750,000

Dimitri Patterson $1,500,000 $   1,000,000            $187,500             $0                     $2,687,500    $1,000,000    $1,687,500

As you can see, there is a substantial difference in the amount of guaranteed money. Patterson is receiving $1M, guaranteed, while Cromartie is receiving $3.25M, guaranteed. While the remainder of Cromartie's salary is filled out with incentive-based bonuses, presumably to get him to play at a consistently high level, Patterson's is filled with game-day bonuses (which you can't see on the above chart). Essentially, if Patterson plays, he gets paid. If he's injured, which has happened to him often in the past, he gets nothing.

Projections of their future play aside, these are radically different contracts. In fact, I would go so far as to declare them the complete opposite, in terms of structure. Cromartie's is almost entirely guaranteed, while Patterson's is mostly based on his health. You're welcome to argue the team should have retained Cromartie, and I won't fight you, but to argue their contracts are negligible isn't true.

and why are we comparing pattterson to cro ?   Patterson is a depth signing/nickel back.  the draft hasn't happened yet.  we have a #1 corner on the roster (who was drafted, btw).  we have no idea what his role will be

Position coaches teach not players but yea I agree I'd rather have Cro

Dimitri Patterson signing raises questions

April, 1, 2014

APR 1

11:40

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

RECOMMEND4TWEET4COMMENTS2EMAILPRINT

A few thoughts on cornerback Dimitri Patterson signing a one-year, $3 million contract with the New York Jets:

Patterson

1. A head scratcher: In the end, general manager John Idzik preferred a $3 million cornerback with major durability issues over a $3.5 million corner (Antonio Cromartie) who never has missed a game in his career due to injury and already is comfortable in Rex Ryan's system. On the surface, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Idzik is gambling that Patterson can beat the injury bug that cost him 24 games over the last two seasons. Granted, Cromartie didn't play well last season, but he's a scheme fit and his troublesome hip is said to be doing better. He's getting $3.5 million from the Arizona Cardinals, who think he'll be fine.

2. Mr. Inside: Patterson started four games for the Miami Dolphins last season, but his best position is the nickel -- specifically, covering the slot receiver. The Dolphins were thin at corner, so they had to start him. A review of Dolphins tape shows that, early in the season, Patterson started at right corner and slid inside on nickel downs. Said one AFC personnel scout: "He's a borderline starter, but you really want him as your 3. I bet you they draft a guy because he's not a press (coverage) guy in the way Rex likes to press."

3. Projected role: The size of Patterson's contract suggests he will be on the field a lot, starting opposite Dee Milliner or playing in the nickel. Right now, he's the leading candidate to replace Cromartie in the lineup. This won't preclude the Jets from drafting a corner, perhaps in the first two rounds. Remember, Patterson is just a stop-gap. Scouts, Inc. has 15 corners rated in their top 100, so they should be able to find a potential starter in the first three rounds. If they pick a corner early, it could jeopardize Kyle Wilson's roster spot.

4. Nice productivity: Limited to only six games because of a groin injury that hampered him the entire season, Patterson finished with four interceptions (in 228 defensive snaps) -- one more pick than anybody on the Jets. Patterson recorded two interceptions in the opener, although the first was a gift deflection. His best play came against the New England Patriots in the seventh game, when he dropped into a zone from the slot, made a nice read on Tom Brady and stepped in front of Rob Gronkowski to make the interception. Patterson shows nice instincts and ball skills, but he lacks catch-up speed. And, of course, he can't stay healthy.

Scheme fit.  Cromartie was  no such thing.  He stunk outright.  He was hobbled and I am certain the Jets think his hip is shot.

Posted in the wrong thread:

#27TheDominator, on 02 Apr 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:snapback.png

Most importantly, there is this:

http://espn.go.com/b...arties-contract

I'm not sure of Patterson's terms, but all $3M/1 year deals are not alike.

In all fairness, after seeing a comparison between the contracts, Idzik made the better deal re: Patterson and Cromartie. 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/4/2/5575332/comparing-antonio-cromarties-contract-to-dimitri-pattersons-contract

Many people are upset with Dimitri Patterson receiving $3M from the New York Jets, since this is only $500k less than what Antonio Cromartie received from the Arizona Cardinals. The thinking is, Cromartie can play at a high level (even if he was truly godawful last year), so why didn't the Jets pony up the measly difference? This article won't go into the merits of Cromartie vs. Patterson, except to note only that the team, which has more inside information on his health status than anyone else, decided Patterson was a better pick from a value perspective.

Like most contracts, the devil is in the details here. You can look at the $3M vs. $3.5M numbers and say it was a small amount, but you would be wrong, as our dear friend Mr. Mehta is in this situation. Let's take a closer look.

Name                     Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Cap Number Dead Money Cap Savings

Antonio Cromartie $2,250,000   $1,000,000          $250,000             $0                     $4,000,000     $3,250,000      $750,000

Dimitri Patterson $1,500,000 $   1,000,000            $187,500             $0                     $2,687,500    $1,000,000    $1,687,500

As you can see, there is a substantial difference in the amount of guaranteed money. Patterson is receiving $1M, guaranteed, while Cromartie is receiving $3.25M, guaranteed. While the remainder of Cromartie's salary is filled out with incentive-based bonuses, presumably to get him to play at a consistently high level, Patterson's is filled with game-day bonuses (which you can't see on the above chart). Essentially, if Patterson plays, he gets paid. If he's injured, which has happened to him often in the past, he gets nothing.

Projections of their future play aside, these are radically different contracts. In fact, I would go so far as to declare them the complete opposite, in terms of structure. Cromartie's is almost entirely guaranteed, while Patterson's is mostly based on his health. You're welcome to argue the team should have retained Cromartie, and I won't fight you, but to argue their contracts are negligible isn't true.

You didn't believe it when I said it?

You didn't believe it when I said it?

Hadn't seen your post.... What thread was it in? I see it say's on the top "posted in wrong thread" Is that why I missed it?

In any event.... good find... You "Dominate"

Hadn't seen your post.... What thread was it in? I see it say's on the top "posted in wrong thread" Is that why I missed it?

In any event.... good find... You "Dominate"

That was in this thread.  I had originally posted it in the Jacoby Ford thread by mistake.  At the same time you were posting this I had posted facts on Patterson's deal in another thread.  The $1M in bonus means they are unlikely to cut him outright.  They have a good chance to save some of the $500K if the guy is hurt.  He apparently had groin surgery in December.  I'm wondering what the surgery was?  Sports hernia maybe?  

That was in this thread.  I had originally posted it in the Jacoby Ford thread by mistake.  At the same time you were posting this I had posted facts on Patterson's deal in another thread.  The $1M in bonus means they are unlikely to cut him outright.  They have a good chance to save some of the $500K if the guy is hurt.  He apparently had groin surgery in December.  I'm wondering what the surgery was?  Sports hernia maybe?

Jets | Dimitri Patterson underwent groin surgeryNew York Jets CB Dimitri Patterson (groin) said he underwent groin surgery during the last week of the 2013 regular season when he was still a member of the Miami Dolphins. - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=898978-jets-dimitri-patterson-underwent-groin-surgery#sthash.SGbJzmel.dpuf

Wow, I didn't see that.  I don't understand is how Cro's cap number is $4M, but I suppose that would be assuming some incentives are met.  Also I don't see "from the above chart" where it shows Patterson's gameday bonuses either, but I'll assume it's true and maybe that was left out (or that I'm blind).

So other than a $1.2M in bonuses that he'll get, the balance is in game checks, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $100K/game.  If he plays 5 games, he gets $1.75M (give or take).  If he plays 16 games, he gets $3M.  Pretty fair gamble.  Though no one wants to see him play only 6 games like last year, he's not going to cost $3M if he does.  But like Cromartie showed last year, just because he's playing doesn't mean he isn't just about the worst CB in the NFL.  

Plus I think ideally we'll draft another corner for long-term, since the market was nutty for FA corners, and Patterson's therefore another temporary plug-in.  But if he at least plays out September, it means we won't have to start a potentially (if not mostly likely) unready rookie right away, and doesn't pressure us into taking one in round 1 to get an allegedly instantly-ready one.  Even if we did take one #18, Milliner and Wilson (like dozens of others drafted by other teams) have shown there is no guarantee of instant-ready based on being taken in round 1.  Even if they eventually are awesome.  In '04, undrafted rookie Randall Gay started more games than 2nd year Asante Samuel who went on to have an awesome career (minus a missed interception that would have sealed a Pats superbowl win, hahaha).

You're also missing the fact that Cro is taller and built to play outside. 

Love this and the Jacoby signing. Gives us depth in areas of perceived "weakness." Free agency is about plugging holes so you can draft the best available player in every round and not draft needs. Think Idzik is performing very well. 

He's signing injury prone guys that are cheap.  It's not really a legit philosophy based on math or metrics, it's mostly based on luck.  Like signing Garrard last year.  If it was all about using stats, the reality is Garrard was a guy who hadn't played in 2 years due to injury.   He traded for Ivory, an injury prone backup, and while it was a good trade, Ivory also was injured now and again and wound up having a whopping 800 yards rushing.  Not exactly an impressive stat.  

It's one thing if these guys were healthy, it's another when he signs a guy (Ford) who is known as one of the most fragile in the NFL.   It becomes more about luck than any philosophy.     If Ford plays 16 games and contributes, great.  If Patterson plays 16 games and contributes, great.  If Vick plays 15 games and helps the team win, great.    But all these signings are all about hope and luck more than research.   

So far many of idziks signings take me back to the Chad Pennington days.   We all hoped the guy would stay healthy and he rarely ever did.    When that's most of the guys you sign,  there are many fingers crossed over "yeah I knew this guy would be good."   

And the Patterson vs Cromartie conversation is ridiculous.   Patterson is a guy who has barely started and is older than Cromartie.   So yeah they signed a guy who might miss 5 or 6 games.  Which means they have to throw some rookie out there or throw out some crappy player.  Can they play better than Cromartie did last year?   Obviously not since none of those guys could even beat out a hobbling Cromartie all season long.

He's signing injury prone guys that are cheap.  It's not really a legit philosophy based on math or metrics, it's mostly based on luck.  Like signing Garrard last year.  If it was all about using stats, the reality is Garrard was a guy who hadn't played in 2 years due to injury.   He traded for Ivory, an injury prone backup, and while it was a good trade, Ivory also was injured now and again and wound up having a whopping 800 yards rushing.  Not exactly an impressive stat.  

It's one thing if these guys were healthy, it's another when he signs a guy (Ford) who is known as one of the most fragile in the NFL.   It becomes more about luck than any philosophy.     If Ford plays 16 games and contributes, great.  If Patterson plays 16 games and contributes, great.  If Vick plays 15 games and helps the team win, great.    But all these signings are all about hope and luck more than research.   

So far many of idziks signings take me back to the Chad Pennington days.   We all hoped the guy would stay healthy and he rarely ever did.    When that's most of the guys you sign,  there are many fingers crossed over "yeah I knew this guy would be good."   

And the Patterson vs Cromartie conversation is ridiculous.   Patterson is a guy who has barely started and is older than Cromartie.   So yeah they signed a guy who might miss 5 or 6 games.  Which means they have to throw some rookie out there or throw out some crappy player.  Can they play better than Cromartie did last year?   Obviously not since none of those guys could even beat out a hobbling Cromartie all season long.

You really don't see the difference between blindly relying on a ridiculously overpaid, injury prone QB (who sucks even when healthy) as your starter, with no viable alternative on the roster, and rolling the dice on a few backups who might not make the roster even if healthy?

The Giants won two super bowls relying laregly on injury prone guys that they got bargains on - Tuck, Kiwanuka, Terrell Thomas, Bradshaw, Prince.  That is why the Giants could be great or suck.  Tons of guys that get hurt.  If they are healthy at the same time, look out.  

Listen Pedro, you're walking "The Green Mile" here.... you're alone and on death row.... you'll be an outcast among your bretheren, here on the board! You DON'T QUESTION the GREAT WIZARD!!

tumblr_m9sohyMjYf1rntpxlo1_r1_500.gif

The Giants won two super bowls relying laregly on injury prone guys that they got bargains on - Tuck, Kiwanuka, Terrell Thomas, Bradshaw, Prince.  That is why the Giants could be great or suck.  Tons of guys that get hurt.  If they are healthy at the same time, look out.  

I can see it for a guy like Vick, maybe even Ford.   But Patterson,  the guy has started in like 20 games over a 7 year career.   Yeah he's injured often, but he's also not good enough to start.      So as bad as Cromartie was last season, he still played.  And he played as the #1 CB on a team with a rookie CB and Wilson.    Patterson pretty much is a backup to the backups and he's played in only 14 games over the past two seasons.  

Sorry but I don't get how some people say  Cromartie sucks, is injured, and past his prime and somehow defend that Patterson was a good signing.

I can see it for a guy like Vick, maybe even Ford.   But Patterson,  the guy has started in like 20 games over a 7 year career.   Yeah he's injured often, but he's also not good enough to start.      So as bad as Cromartie was last season, he still played.  And he played as the #1 CB on a team with a rookie CB and Wilson.    Patterson pretty much is a backup to the backups and he's played in only 14 games over the past two seasons.  

Sorry but I don't get how some people say  Cromartie sucks, is injured, and past his prime and somehow defend that Patterson was a good signing.

I defend the Patterson signing, but I don't think it is any slam dunk.  We will see what he gets and how he plays, but people here want to act like Idzik is the first to see value in this guy.  He was playing out a 3 year $16M contract with the Browns.  The Dolphins did not cut him because they don't like him.  They cut him because he was due like $5.5M.  At one point he and Assante Samuel were allegedly considered a top tandem.  He is a guy that played pretty well for the Browns and Dolphins when he got on the field.  

Ancient piece from Brian Baldinger.  Take from it what you will, but I found it interesting:

NFL NETWORK Four Downs: Eagles have best CB tandem
thumb_baldinger.jpg?m=1341372214g

Published: November 25th, 2010 | Tags: Four DownsAhmad BradshawAsante SamuelAusten LaneDimitri PattersonEli ManningFour DownsHue JacksonJacksonville JaguarsJeremy MinceyMatt DodgeNew York GiantsOakland RaidersQuintin MikellTerrance KnightonTom CableTom CoughlinTyson Alualu

Another week of film works brings the latest edition of Four Downs, with a look at a few things that caught my eye. Enjoy Week 12 everyone.

1. The decision the Eagles made a month ago to put CB Dimitri Patterson in the starting lineup was the best personnel move they’ve made all season. They have totally contrasting styles, but in Patterson and Asante Samuel, the Eagles have the best cornerback tandem in the league. Samuel plays off the line and is a total playmaker. Patterson plays up, is aggressive, is a great tackler who doesn’t gamble and plays by the book with great technique. Together, they have a great blend of skills. It’s also helped Quintin Mikell to freelance and help out more in the run game. The Eagles can challenge wide receivers as well as anyone in the league right now.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/11/25/four-downs-eagles-have-best-cb-tandem/

I don't know why everyone is taking such offense with your observations.  I hadn't looked at it that way but you're obviously right.  The trend is definitely towards his taking gambles on guys with injury histories.  Trying to save a buck at every turn.  Wow.  WR Denarius Moore has the same issue - watch for that.

We'll see how this plays out.  To this point, I'm not impressed.  Perhaps he has a vision that turns out for the benefit of the long-term standing of the team towards being competitive.  I'm still waiting to see how this goes. 

jets fans every ******* week all season long

"CRO SUCKS"

jets fans when Patterson signs a deal less valuable but in the same neighborhood

"PATTERSON SUCKS"

LOL

You forgot the part that makes it so much better, it's not just that Patterson sucks, it's now that after a season full of everyone hating on him, Cromartie is now apparently some amazing all world talent who is completely irreplaceable and the team will be forever doomed without his presence.

That and it's always a treat to see the same folks continuously repeat how allegedly nobody is giving any possible explanation for the move while going through such painstaking effort to run away with their fingers in their ears and screaming, every time a point is made in that regard.

You forgot the part that makes it so much better, it's not just that Patterson sucks, it's now that after a season full of everyone hating on him, Cromartie is now apparently some amazing all world talent who is completely irreplaceable and the team will be forever doomed without his presence.

That and it's always a treat to see the same folks continuously repeat how allegedly nobody is giving any possible explanation for the move while going through such painstaking effort to run away with their fingers in their ears and screaming, every time a point is made in that regard.

Except Cromartie has played in 32 games over the past 2 seasons.   Patterson has played in only 14 games.     And over his entire 7 year career,  the guy has started 20 games.     So yeah Cromartie was awful last season,  but saying Patterson is a good signing is ridiculous.    

Yeah a guy who starts 20 games over 7 years is an improvement . And the fact he has missed 18 games over the past two seasons, says what?  The Jets need to sign another free agent CB or draft a couple of CBs because thinking Patterson will actually stay healthy is a good thing?

It reminds me of the Garrard signing last year.   Sign some injury prone guy and hope he actually stays healthy.   That's not really a strategy, that's just being cheap and hoping things fit.

Maybe Idzik takes his cues from the Silicon Valley VC space these days.    They love to have huge dart boards and invest in thousands of companies hoping that one hits it big.   99 percent of them suck, but doesn't matter if 1 of those companies gets snatched up for 15 billion.      The only problem is the NFL isn't like the VC market.   Idzik can't throw 20 CBs out there and hope he hits a home run with one of them.

I'm not sure anyone here remembers Cro's inability to run last year which cost us several games by itself.  His hip is likely degenerative and it would be a huge risk to expect him to suddenly revert back to his old self.

Some of these discussions really can't realistically take place until he plays 2014 injury-free.

I think the bigger point is now that we have Patterson, what do the Jets do in the draft to address CB?  Do they need to burn a 1st or 2nd rounder to assure competent CB play for Rex to run his defense? 

The big assumption here is that Cro wanted to come back. What you tell the media and the truth can be 2 different things. Cro may have decided he'd rather play along side a big time player, improve his stock, and get paid again next year. He was at his best with Revis. Peterson is a Revis like player and can help Cro shine.

It may backfire on Cro but it's not a foregone conclusion he wanted to come back.

The big assumption here is that Cro wanted to come back. What you tell the media and the truth can be 2 different things. Cro may have decided he'd rather play along side a big time player, improve his stock, and get paid again next year. He was at his best with Revis. Peterson is a Revis like player and can help Cro shine.

It may backfire on Cro but it's not a foregone conclusion he wanted to come back.

Actually Cro was at his best in 2012 after Revis was injured.  

Except Cromartie has played in 32 games over the past 2 seasons.   Patterson has played in only 14 games.     And over his entire 7 year career,  the guy has started 20 games.     So yeah Cromartie was awful last season,  but saying Patterson is a good signing is ridiculous.    

Yeah a guy who starts 20 games over 7 years is an improvement . And the fact he has missed 18 games over the past two seasons, says what?  The Jets need to sign another free agent CB or draft a couple of CBs because thinking Patterson will actually stay healthy is a good thing?

It reminds me of the Garrard signing last year.   Sign some injury prone guy and hope he actually stays healthy.   That's not really a strategy, that's just being cheap and hoping things fit.

Maybe Idzik takes his cues from the Silicon Valley VC space these days.    They love to have huge dart boards and invest in thousands of companies hoping that one hits it big.   99 percent of them suck, but doesn't matter if 1 of those companies gets snatched up for 15 billion.      The only problem is the NFL isn't like the VC market.   Idzik can't throw 20 CBs out there and hope he hits a home run with one of them.

Actually no, what's really ridiculous is that two sentences in, it is clear that you still don't even understand what's going on: Patterson is not here to be a replacement to the 2010 - 2012 Cromartie (especially considering that Cro himself was worlds away from playing at that level last year).  It's been explained over and over again why it's not anywhere close to a straight one for one swap, for a variety of different reasons (skill sets, contracts, health, history with the team all factoring in), and you ignoring those doesn't change anything.  I'm not sure if your refusal to accept that is to justify more whining or simply an inability to grasp the concept, but either way, it pretty much nullifies the rest of your argument.

Archived