Draft picks who won't be on the 53-man roster?

bergenjets

Idzik favors his own picks, so my guess is that more than we think or should be, will still be on 53 man roster. My early guess is these two won't be. 

Shaq Evans--lacks physicality, seems to avoid contact choosing the sideline over taking a hit a yard or two up the field. Half hearted blocker and not a special teamer. A bobbler. 

Jeremiah George--Too small. Perhaps he displaces Bellore.

George is supposedly a thumper too. I like that. I hope he shows up to play. Being Demario's understudy kind of makes me think he sucks though.

He's there as a potential to replace David Harris. Idzik doesn't want to give a veteran contract to an average ILB, and I don't blame him. ILB should be an easy hole to fill in a 3-4.

He's there as a potential to replace David Harris. Idzik doesn't want to give a veteran contract to an average ILB, and I don't blame him. ILB should be an easy hole to fill in a 3-4.

Harris sucks. Worst contract we got going. I agree, he needs to be gone after this season, but to think George is the guy.. boy I hope so. But sounds like a long shot. 

Can someone fill me in on George's bad habits/downside? I've watched some of his film and It seems that only his size was holding him back from being a early rounder. Great tackler and great instincts, I'm just curious because I really haven't seen anything that jumps out at me

Can someone fill me in on George's bad habits/downside? I've watched some of his film and It seems that only his size was holding him back from being a early rounder. Great tackler and great instincts, I'm just curious because I really haven't seen anything that jumps out at me

Hopefully I am wrong. Nothing would make me happier than for all the draftees to make the team by winning their respective competitions, but somebody's not going to make it. 

Is there a GM in the NFL that doesn't favor his own picks?

Point taken.

Idzik favors his own picks, so my guess is that more than we think or should be, will still be on 53 man roster. My early guess is these two won't be. 

Shaq Evans--lacks physicality, seems to avoid contact choosing the sideline over taking a hit a yard or two up the field. Half hearted blocker and not a special teamer. A bobbler. 

Jeremiah George--Too small. Perhaps he displaces Bellore.

I like our 7th that kid will be good he had a 3rd round grade.

Harris sucks. Worst contract we got going. I agree, he needs to be gone after this season, but to think George is the guy.. boy I hope so. But sounds like a long shot. 

I agree David Harris' contract was bloated in the beginning but thats in the past now, I may be mistaken but I believe his cap hit is 7 mill this season which seems fair price for one of the most consistent players on our squad. Do I think we should drop him next year? Yes. Do I think he is getting paid more than his value right now? No. 

Harris seems like one of the only players we can count on every game, the guy is a workhorse and while he is getting up in age he isnt "old-man status" yet.

Either way Im sure hes gone next year, and like you said I think the George kid is a long shot from being a starter but who knows. 

I agree David Harris' contract was bloated in the beginning but thats in the past now, I may be mistaken but I believe his cap hit is 7 mill this season which seems fair price for one of the most consistent players on our squad. Do I think we should drop him next year? Yes. Do I think he is getting paid more than his value right now? No. 

Harris seems like one of the only players we can count on every game, the guy is a workhorse and while he is getting up in age he isnt "old-man status" yet.

Either way Im sure hes gone next year, and like you said I think the George kid is a long shot from being a starter but who knows. 

It is $7 million, thats why he is here this season. He is a goner next though. If the contract was a redo right now, he isn't worth that amount of money. Patrick Willis is slightly cheaper. Harris is not Willis. 

Obviously Pryor and Amaro are locks to make the 53 man roster, beyond that all of them are question marks except for maybe McDougle because Idzik&Co. felt he merits a 3rd round pick... If McDougle plays half decent I think they'll keep him for that exact reason. He was a 3rd round pick.

I think Saunders has a better chance than Evans simply for the fact that he can contribute on special teams as a punt returner. They both will need to fight for a spot though with 12 WRs on the roster. Saunders is a speedster whereas Evans is more of a possession receiver. Both of them have a chance to be our 3 or 4 receiver if they can excel in camp.

I've heard the Jets want to put Dozier either behind Colon or to have him take Winter's spot at LG. In all honesty I'd like Dozier over Winters, but he needs to prove he can handle NFL caliber talent coming from a smaller school. I'd say Dozier has a fairly high chance to make the squad though for depth if nothing else.  

I feel the same way about George he is on the small side, but he can come in and contribute on special teams. If he can put on some more weight and bulk up a bit while maintaining his speed it gives him a better chance. He had 2 INTs and 6 PDs his senior year, so he is able to play in coverage as well. He also has the ability to get into the backfield with 3.5 sacks and 12 TFLs; he can "bring the wood" too forcing 3 fumbles. I like his chances.

I think Dixon, Enunwa, and Enemkpali will have the hardest time making the roster over any other draftees. Dixon has better man coverage skills than McDougle but he was an expendable 6th rounder from a small school on a roster with 12 CBs as well. Enunwa will have to out play both Evans and Saunders for a spot. There are also 12 WRs on the roster... We have stock piled CBs and WRs hoping for some gems. Enemkpali really surprised me, I'm still not sure if they planned on using him as a DE or a OLB. He is too big and slow to be a OLB, and doesn't have a ton of finesse to get to the QB as a DE. I think he may just be added depth for the D-line on sub packages... Either way, it'll be tough for him to make it. All 3 of these players have a much better chance on the practice squad.

I think Reilly was a great value pick in the 7th. If he can overcome his knee issues I think he could make a big impact. He's also entering the NFL as a rookie at age 26. With that aside though he could replace Calvin Pace in the next year or two. 100 Tackles, 16.5 TFLs, 9 Sacks, 1 INT, 2 PDs, and a FF his senior year. This guy would have been taken 4th round if it weren't for his knee surgery, and being 26. I think they'll keep him just for the value if nothing else. He has a much better chance than Dixon, Enunwa or Enemkpali. 

Obviously it's too early to give a fair grade to this draft class, but I was stuck between a C and a B. I went with a C, and C+ if we're getting technical, just because of taking McDougle when Desir, McGill, and Breeland were still there... as well as waiting to address WR until 4th round. Boyd too, I would have rather had Brett Smith or Connor Shaw over him. Who knows though, maybe in a year or two we'll have McDougle Island, Broadway Boyd, and Saunders Crunch...Disregard that last one, it was a bit of a "reach."

I think Dixon, Enunwa, and Enemkpali will have the hardest time making the roster over any other draftees. Dixon has better man coverage skills than McDougle but he was an expendable 6th rounder from a small school on a roster with 12 CBs as well. Enunwa will have to out play both Evans and Saunders for a spot.

I agree with most of what you wrote here, but really hope that the Idzik competition mantra is a real thing. If Dixon outplays McDougle in camp, they shouldn't be afraid to put him ahead of McDougle on the depth chart (agreed - they aren't cutting a third round pick). And I think Enunwa really should just have to beat out Evans (and the veterans already there). They're very similar players, while -like you said- Saunders will likely make it for his return abilities. I also think it's likely that the Jets carry six WRs.

Some of these third day guys will have an opportunity to stick based on their special teams abilities, too. If Enunwa proves to be an effective gunner on the punt team (for instance), that will greatly increase his chances. That's likely how George secures a roster spot.

Dixon and Enunwa are really wild cards. I could honestly see Enunwa starting this year. He wasted steps in his routes which made him appear slower than he really was on tape. If you see his 99 TD catch, you will see he is really fast once he gets into a race. He has the size and ability to catch over the middle as well. I can honestly see him beating out Hill for a roster spot if he improves his route running. Dixon is sort of similar. His technique is bad, how quickly can he improve it or show improvement. I will post my breakdown of each guy later and their chances to make the roster. I just saw these two mentioned the most and I really think Enunwa has a great chance to make the team.

I agree with most of what you wrote here, but really hope that the Idzik competition mantra is a real thing. If Dixon outplays McDougle in camp, they shouldn't be afraid to put him ahead of McDougle on the depth chart (agreed - they aren't cutting a third round pick). And I think Enunwa really should just have to beat out Evans (and the veterans already there). They're very similar players, while -like you said- Saunders will likely make it for his return abilities. I also think it's likely that the Jets carry six WRs.

Some of these third day guys will have an opportunity to stick based on their special teams abilities, too. If Enunwa proves to be an effective gunner on the punt team (for instance), that will greatly increase his chances. That's likely how George secures a roster spot.

Are you saying, If Enunwa is better than Evans are the JETS going to cut Evans. It was their fourth round pick.

Dixon and Enunwa are really wild cards. I could honestly see Enunwa starting this year. He wasted steps in his routes which made him appear slower than he really was on tape. If you see his 99 TD catch, you will see he is really fast once he gets into a race. He has the size and ability to catch over the middle as well. I can honestly see him beating out Hill for a roster spot if he improves his route running. Dixon is sort of similar. His technique is bad, how quickly can he improve it or show improvement. I will post my breakdown of each guy later and their chances to make the roster. I just saw these two mentioned the most and I really think Enunwa has a great chance to make the team.

Agree with a lot of this. I think Enunwa is has better tools to project than Evans does. If he can clean up his routes and attack the ball in the air with his hands more consistently (he had a great catch in traffic against Northwestern, so he's not incapable of doing it) he's got a lot of upside. Two big if's, but I wasn't all that impressed with Evans when I watched him and they have some similar flaws.

Plus Enunwa's a more physical player with better straight line speed, so I'd imagine he'll be better on specials which could be really key when it comes to figuring out who will be the 5th and 6th receivers on the roster.

Whoever mentioned there are a ton of receivers on the roster was on the money too. Some decent players are going to get cut. Not a lot of top end talent at that spot on the roster, but a ton of depth.

It is $7 million, thats why he is here this season. He is a goner next though. If the contract was a redo right now, he isn't worth that amount of money. Patrick Willis is slightly cheaper. Harris is not Willis. 

Truth on all accounts. 

Archived