Why can't my QB be this cool?

T0mShane

The guy to keep an eye on is Derek Carr in Oakland. They're already talking about him supplanting Schaub by midseason.

Worst performer under pressure of any QB prospect, iirc.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? Too much to ask to have competence on both sides of the ball? Not since 1997--seventeen years of offensive ineptitude!!!

Rexs dirty little secret is that he needs top tier talent to hsve a good defense, but is too dumb to thing ger if i had some top tier offensive talent maybe that would help. I would expect a genius to be able to allocate more resources to the offense and coach up some second tier guys on defense. Instead he just keeps stacking the defensive cupboard every year. It is like he is always interviewing for his next DC job, knowing his run as HC wont last forever.

This is more myths, legends, and bullsh*t. Four out of five of the Jets' top five paid players are offensive players. The top four free agents they picked up this year (in terms of compensation) were Vick, Decker, Giacomini, and Johnson - all of whom are in the Jets' top ten highest paid players this year. The Jets have never drafted more defensive players than offense in any single year Rex has been coach, but they've drafted more offense four out of six years - including 10-3 offense vs. defense his first three seasons. The Jets also traded draft picks for Sanchez, Greene, Holmes, Edwards, Tebow, and Ivory (off the top of my head - and I can't think of any defensive players they've traded picks for).

Both GM's seem to have an aversion to drafting offense high, and/or they trust Rex to get the most out of defensive draftees - and then they spend a lot more in free agency (or the trade market) on offensive players. But a ton of resources has been spent on the offensive side of the ball since Rex was named coach. That's indisputable.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the thing, though. Rex is almost irrelevant. This season comes down to Marty Mornhinweg's ability to fix Geno. The only way Rex factors in is if he falls in love with Vick.

The Jets have an NFL head coach who has almost nothing to do with his team's offense. And nobody much questions that, despite the indisputable fact that is exactly how his own dad's NFL HC career crashed and burned.

The Jets have an NFL head coach he has almost nothing to do with his team's offense. And nobody much questions that, despite the indisputable fact that is exactly how his own dad's NFL HC career crashed and burned.

oh please. 

1) do we really want him involved ?  do we really want 60 runs per game ?

2) that's how every NFL team works.  it's only a matter of degree.  sean payton aint in any defensive meetings in nawlins

oh please. 

2) that's how every NFL team works.  it's only a matter of degree.  sean payton aint in any defensive meetings in nawlins

But Sean Payton has an idea what's going on.He doesn't tell Rob Ryan to do what ever he wants. He gives him some direction.

Worst performer under pressure of any QB prospect, iirc.

This is more myths, legends, and bullsh*t. Four out of five of the Jets' top five paid players are offensive players. The top four free agents they picked up this year (in terms of compensation) were Vick, Decker, Giacomini, and Johnson - all of whom are in the Jets' top ten highest paid players this year. The Jets have never drafted more defensive players than offense in any single year Rex has been coach, but they've drafted more offense four out of six years - including 10-3 offense vs. defense his first three seasons. The Jets also traded draft picks for Sanchez, Greene, Holmes, Edwards, Tebow, and Ivory (off the top of my head - and I can't think of any defensive players they've traded picks for).

Both GM's seem to have an aversion to drafting offense high, and/or they trust Rex to get the most out of defensive draftees - and then they spend a lot more in free agency (or the trade market) on offensive players. But a ton of resources has been spent on the offensive side of the ball since Rex was named coach. That's indisputable.

"Both GM's seem to have an aversion to drafting offense high, and/or they trust Rex to get the most out of defensive draftees"

That completely proves my point and contradicts yours: if they trust him to get the most out of defensive draftees why burn every first round pick on defense? If he is such a genius he should be able to make a decent meal without lobster and filet mignon at every meal.

There's a reason Evans went #7 and Manziel lasted until #22 - even being passed over by the team who eventually drafted him for *gasp!* a defensive back. If Pryor turns out to be dominant, and Manziel winds up like the vast majority of QBs taken in the later stages of the first round, your whines will be funny in retrospect.

Meh, I'm a big Manziel supporter but the one to watch is Bridgewater. That guys going to be a baller.

Define your idea of fun? Dave and Buster type of fun?

Time to make wife happy for change and schedule some painting of the entire house in Sept and Oct.  Fix the broken gutters, leaks, etc...Followed up by some sundays out shopping with wife thru the holidays, but write it all down for when JETS clean house next year and have number #1 pick for QB and then when she complains about sitting on couch all day break out the list and go all ralph cramdin on her and say FO

Facts are stubborn things. The Jets' offense went from 28th to 29th in PPG.So for all the Morningweg/Smith love, they got worse. Smith was arguably the worst starting QB in the NFL not named Josh Freeman. But, hey, dream on.

A safety.

word!

The guy to keep an eye on is Derek Carr in Oakland. They're already talking about him supplanting Schaub by midseason.

Really? He's gonna need half a season to overtake a guy who threw pick sixes in five consecutive games last year who is playing in a new system himself?

What a mountain to climb!

Hoo boy! That Denver team had a pretty good offense last year, right? How'd that work out for them?

Yeah because Seattle was known to score only 18 points a game and won the super bowl by scoring 18 points?  

oh please. 

Yeah except New Orleans sucked the year Payton was suspended.

Facts are stubborn things. The Jets' offense went from 28th to 29th in PPG.So for all the Morningweg/Smith love, they got worse. Smith was arguably the worst starting QB in the NFL not named Josh Freeman. But, hey, dream on.

A safety.

Look at it this way.  The Jets started a guy straight from a non-pro style offense, whose receiving corps was Kerley & The Question Marks, (Kerley was fine, throughout the season the Question Marks became negatives).  His fast change-of-pace back, Goodsen, didn't hardly play all season.  Geno ended up being ranked 21st in yardage and 28th in QB ranking for QB's with over 300 attempts.  Where did you seriously think he had a chance to be ranked?

"Both GM's seem to have an aversion to drafting offense high, and/or they trust Rex to get the most out of defensive draftees"

That completely proves my point and contradicts yours: if they trust him to get the most out of defensive draftees why burn every first round pick on defense? If he is such a genius he should be able to make a decent meal without lobster and filet mignon at every meal.

Lol, nice try. What actually happened is that I obliterated your attempt to make a point. You talk about first round picks as if they're the only resource the team has to spend. It's not. Yes, more first rounders (obviously) have been spent on defense, but the vast majority of total draft picks have been used on offense: 24 offense, and 15 defense since Rex was named coach. And that's not taking into accountpicks traded away. A couple for Sanchez, a couple more for Greene, a couple more for Braylon, another each for Holmes, Tebow, Ivory, Hill, and one they still owed for Favre. If I was bothered to add it all up, it would probably work out to about 2-1 in favor of the offense - if not more.

And then more free agent dollars are spent on offense. Since Bart Scott, there hasn't been much FA money spent on defense. This year alone, the team added Vick, Decker, Giacomini, and Johnson - all of whom are top ten on the Jets' payroll this year. Money is a resource, right? Four out of the top five paid Jets play on offense. Denying that the majority of resources get spent on that side of the ball since Rex got here is ridiculous.

Offensive first rounders generally go for three primary positions: QB, WR, and LT. They took the QB in Rex's first year, then extended him for big dollars. Not sure when they were going to take another one of those. Maybe last year if the class didn't suck. They have the LT in place. That leaves WR, which they traded multiple picks for between Holmes and Edwards, and then they paid Holmes. They bought Plaxico right out of prison. They probably wanted Austin last year, but he was gone before they picked. They might've liked one this year, but opted for the best safety rather than the fourth best WR (then found a similar player in the fourth). Kyle Wilson was probably the worst defensive first rounder they selected, at #29 overall, and he's at least a role player. It's not like they missed on an offensive great there, either.

Bottom line, this resources argument is flat out wrong, and the first rounder complaints take place in a vacuum.

this years draft was a need/depth draft.  they were targeting offense as well as defense.  they decided to stick and pick the best player that filled a need that fell to them.  If it had been a WR, that would have been the pick

I thought I had idzik figured out, I was wrong about him.

Lol, nice try. What actually happened is that I obliterated your attempt to make a point. You talk about first round picks as if they're the only resource the team has to spend. It's not. Yes, more first rounders (obviously) have been spent on defense, but the vast majority of total draft picks have been used on offense: 24 offense, and 15 defense since Rex was named coach. And that's not taking into accountpicks traded away. A couple for Sanchez, a couple more for Greene, a couple more for Braylon, another each for Holmes, Tebow, Ivory, Hill, and one they still owed for Favre. If I was bothered to add it all up, it would probably work out to about 2-1 in favor of the offense - if not more.

And then more free agent dollars are spent on offense. Since Bart Scott, there hasn't been much FA money spent on defense. This year alone, the team added Vick, Decker, Giacomini, and Johnson - all of whom are top ten on the Jets' payroll this year. Money is a resource, right? Four out of the top five paid Jets play on offense. Denying that the majority of resources get spent on that side of the ball since Rex got here is ridiculous.

Offensive first rounders generally go for three primary positions: QB, WR, and LT. They took the QB in Rex's first year, then extended him for big dollars. Not sure when they were going to take another one of those. Maybe last year if the class didn't suck. They have the LT in place. That leaves WR, which they traded multiple picks for between Holmes and Edwards, and then they paid Holmes. They bought Plaxico right out of prison. They probably wanted Austin last year, but he was gone before they picked. They might've liked one this year, but opted for the best safety rather than the fourth best WR (then found a similar player in the fourth). Kyle Wilson was probably the worst defensive first rounder they selected, at #29 overall, and he's at least a role player. It's not like they missed on an offensive great there, either.

Bottom line, this resources argument is flat out wrong, and the first rounder complaints take place in a vacuum.

Vacuums are funny, like when you try to argue that a third round pick is an equivalent resource to a first round pick, or that picking a guard is the same as picking a skill position player. From 09-12, the Jets used 13 picks in rds 1-3 (where your team is built). They used three on skill position players and four on defensive linemen. And the head coach is an alleged DL expert.

Vacuums are funny, like when you try to argue that a third round pick is an equivalent resource to a first round pick, or that picking a guard is the same as picking a skill position player. From 09-12, the Jets used 13 picks in rds 1-3 (where your team is built). They used three on skill position players and four on defensive linemen. And the head coach is an alleged DL expert.

Let's cut it off at the third round, because if we go to the fourth that adds two more RBs in that period. We won't count OL. Let's also not count the 3rd (and 5th) traded for Braylon Edwards, or the the third rounder they had to give to Green Bay for the Brett Favre era.

Cool, twisted argument complete.

Let's cut it off at the third round, because if we go to the fourth that adds two more RBs in that period. We won't count OL. Let's also not count the 3rd (and 5th) traded for Braylon Edwards, or the the third rounder they had to give to Green Bay for the Brett Favre era.

Cool, twisted argument complete.

I thought I was helping you by omitting Rex faves Joe McKnight and John Conner.

I thought I was helping you by omitting Rex faves Joe McKnight and John Conner.

The Jets have done poorly with the vast amount of resources they've spent on the offensive side of the ball, whether it be picking them in the first place, or developing them. Looks like the problem is picking them, because I don't see them tearing it up anywhere else in the league. But denying that they spend abundant resources in picks and dollars on that side of the ball is either dumb or a lie.

The Jets have done poorly with the vast amount of resources they've spent on the offensive side of the ball, whether it be picking them in the first place, or developing them. Looks like the problem is picking them, because I don't see them tearing it up anywhere else in the league. But denying that they spend abundant resources in picks and dollars on that side of the ball is either dumb or a lie.

As dumb as saying every offensive player they brought in post-Mangini coincidentally sucked because fate.

Archived