FIRE REX RYAN

joewilly12

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree it sends a message maybe wakes players up and puts other coaches on the hot seat as well what's going on here on and off the field isn't good

The only "message" it send is that you're the Raiders.

Of course whats going on isn't good. Mid-season firings don't make it better.

If a players needs "woke up" at this point, he's a cut this offseason anyway (or should be).

Firing Rex doesn't put anyone else on a "hot seat".

Rex gets this season, then he's surely gone.

The only "message" it send is that you're the Raiders.

Of course whats going on isn't good. Mid-season firings don't make it better.

If a players needs "woke up" at this point, he's a cut this offseason anyway (or should be).

Firing Rex doesn't put anyone else on a "hot seat".

Rex gets this season, then he's surely gone.

we are the raiders

Longest play from scrimmage yesterday 13 yards fire MM fire someone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Safe to say Rex wanted Pryor? That pick could have been used for a WR. Deepest WR draft in years and you wait until the 4th. When everyone knows you need WRs with or without Decker. Again look at the Jets drafts under Rex. Top picks (rounds 1-3) primarily used on D players.

Safe to say Rex wanted Pryor? That pick could have been used for a WR. Deepest WR draft in years and you wait until the 4th. When everyone knows you need WRs with or without Decker. Again look at the Jets drafts under Rex. Top picks (rounds 1-3) primarily used on D players.

It was the right idea to take a Safety but the guy we should have taken was Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.  Cooks at that spot was an absolutely no-brainer he fits this offense like a glove and Geno would have significantly better stats right now if he had a guy like Cooks stretching the field.  We'd probably still be 1-4 but at least Geno would statistically be having a better year.

Even Johnny Football would have made more sense than Pryor.

nfl_u_nyjets1_sy_576.jpg

Woody Johnson threw two guys out he should have kept, and kept the one guy he should have thrown out.

And its your fault we are stuck with him. Rex Ryan is a one-trick-pony who doesn't learn and grow into a complete head coach. The only reason he has a job is because of ignorant Jets fans who fall for his blue collar 'man of the people' schtick and buy tickets. Woody Johnson isn't moved to get rid of him because you've made it clear that he's what you want between your beer runs and your urine dumps.

SAR I

nfl_u_nyjets1_sy_576.jpg

Woody Johnson threw two guys out he should have kept, and kept the one guy he should have thrown out.

And its your fault we are stuck with him. Rex Ryan is a one-trick-pony who doesn't learn and grow into a complete head coach. The only reason he has a job is because of ignorant Jets fans who fall for his blue collar 'man of the people' schtick and buy tickets. Woody Johnson isn't moved to get rid of him because you've made it clear that he's what you want between your beer runs and your urine dumps.

SAR I

Here's what Rex Ryan says to you SAR I

6a00d83451b26169e20128773b5695970c.jpg

Shia-Mask-Rex-Ryan.jpg

Kuvus.png

This team shows up week after week unprepared to play football

Just want to point out that the team had 3 losses by 1 score. That's not a team unprepared. The Chargers game was a blowout yes but let's not pretend like they were all blowouts. 

Just want to point out that the team had 3 losses by 1 score. That's not a team unprepared. The Chargers game was a blowout yes but let's not pretend like they were all blowouts.

Sometimes a Rex Ryan team doesn't show up, doesn't get off the bus.

Sometimes it happens in a mid-season home game against a lesser opponent. Sometimes it happens after a bye. Too often now it happens when the team is frustrated about the prior week's loss. The Jets culture has always been an issue in the Ryan era, it's very loose, it's too player-friendly. Free agents want to come here to kick back and relax. Having their feet put to the fire isn't part of the strategy.

The final score may not say we were blown-out by the Lions and Bears, but we were.

SAR I

Sometimes a Rex Ryan team doesn't show up, doesn't get off the bus.

Sometimes it happens in a mid-season home game against a lesser opponent. Sometimes it happens after a bye. Too often now it happens when the team is frustrated about the prior week's loss. The Jets culture has always been an issue in the Ryan era, it's very loose, it's too player-friendly. Free agents want to come here to kick back and relax. Having their feet put to the fire isn't part of the strategy.

The final score may not say we were blown-out by the Lions and Bears, but we were.

SAR I

Outplayed and outcoached in all of those losses a lot of the Jets failure is on Rex Ryan not all of it but a lot of it.

4:30 and he still has a job?

Its like this. You are a defensive  genius and then your defense plays like this. Rex lost his calling card yesterday. He kindda bought his tickets to leave town yesterday.

MANNING-BRADY-PLAYOFF-TEXT-clean-475-2.p

We play the Broncos and Patriots 4 days apart.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

SAR I

um... ok.

The color of the sky may not look purple, but it is. 

face the facts it's a garbage roster.

there's no coach in this league that takes this 90 million dollar roster and does more with it, When everyone else is spending 120-130.

I'm not saying this in some attempt to drum up support for Rex. He's going to get blasted. 

This is just  the state of the team. Unless we are talking about a Parcells most coaches don't impact the game all that much. The games are won and lost by game changing plays. Impact players.

um... ok.

The color of the sky may not look purple, but it is. 

face the facts it's a garbage roster.

there's no coach in this league that takes this 90 million dollar roster and does more with it, When everyone else is spending 120-130.

I'm not saying this in some attempt to drum up support for Rex. He's going to get blasted. 

This is just  the state of the team. Unless we are talking about a Parcells most coaches don't impact the game all that much. The games are won and lost by game changing plays. Impact players.

Our Defense is supposed to be Top 5 in the NFL, that's what they tell me. The first quarter didn't break any differently than any other Rex Ryan first quarter, lots of three-and-outs by the offense just like usual, the D didn't show up.

The Offense is hampered by the fact that Rex Ryan insisted his GM's go after stud defensive prospects in the draft and in free agency, today's team reflects Ryan's fingerprints because the O has no talent and the D is underperforming.

Ryan is the issue, always has been. Idzik isn't helping but Rex calls the shots now and did in '11 and '12 when the talent reload was pointed only at the Defense.

SAR I

Actually yesterday's loss was very liberating. Once you can get shell shacked like that the senses are too numb to feel anything more or anything else.

That is very true.

As a fan, I'm feeling I'm quitting on the Jets the same way the players are. I'm too punch drunk to care anymore.

SAR I

That is very true.

As a fan, I'm feeling I'm quitting on the Jets the same way the players are. I'm too punch drunk to care anymore.

SAR I

No quitting for me aggravation and the Jets goes together during football season with seasons like this its what us Jets fans do we are miserable together.

45 years and counting..................

Our Defense is supposed to be Top 5 in the NFL, that's what they tell me. The first quarter didn't break any differently than any other Rex Ryan first quarter, lots of three-and-outs by the offense just like usual, the D didn't show up.

The Offense is hampered by the fact that Rex Ryan insisted his GM's go after stud defensive prospects in the draft and in free agency, today's team reflects Ryan's fingerprints because the O has no talent and the D is underperforming.

Ryan is the issue, always has been. Idzik isn't helping but Rex calls the shots now and did in '11 and '12 when the talent reload was pointed only at the Defense.

SAR I

Does the media ever go back and question this clown's statements......

Once again, Rex Ryan predicts Jets will have top 5 defense

August 13, 2014 

CORTLAND, N.Y. – The Jets’ defense has unquestionably been their strength since Rex Ryan, a defensive-minded head coach, took over in 2009.

But last season was something of a down year for the Jets’ defense, particularly because their secondary struggled so mightily. The Jets last year finished 11th in the NFL in total defense. In Ryan’s first four years, they were first, third, fifth and eighth. In scoring defense under Ryan, the Jets have finished first, sixth, 20th, 20th and 19th.

Despite uncertainty in his secondary, Ryan said Wednesday that he believes the Jets will return to the top five in the total defense rankings.

“I don’t think it’ll be (down) there this (year, near No. 11),” Ryan said. “I think we’ll get back to where we are accustomed to being. That’s at least in the top five. But again, our goal is to be set higher than that. Top five, that’s to be expected. That’s what I know.”

This has become a rite of August. Each of the past two years in August, Ryan made the same exact assertion about the Jets’ finishing in the top five. Each of the past two years, the Jets and Ryan failed to make good on Ryan’s promise, by finishing eighth and 11th.

Ryan is currently scrambling to find answers in his secondary. Safety Antonio Allen is going to start at cornerback in Saturday’s second preseason game, at the Bengals, since Dee Milliner is out with a sprained ankle. The other starting corner, Dimitri Patterson, has missed five straight days of practice because of various leg ailments. A top backup corner, rookie Dexter McDougle, is out for the year with a knee injury.

Oh, and first-round draft pick safety Calvin Pryor has barely practiced in this training camp, because of a concussion, so the Jets are trying to get him caught up now that he is back. Pryor will play with the first-, second- and third-team defenses against the Bengals, Ryan said, because he desperately needs the reps.

The Jets’ defensive front is clearly one of the NFL’s best. But even with the potential problems in the secondary, Ryan is confident (go figure!) that his coaching staff can make things work and put together a successful defensive showing in 2014.

“If you just think you’re going to have all the pieces for a whole season and all that, that doesn’t work,” Ryan said. “That’s not the case in this league. The (coaches) with staying power, guys that have been fairly successful through the league know how to make adjustments and play to the strength of your team.

“That’s certainly what we’ll do. Do I fall back on my experiences and all that? I know we’ll have a tremendous defense. There’s no doubt. That’s one thing you can say, throughout the years, I’ve been right on that. And I’ll be right again on this.”

Ryan was asked which ranking has more value – scoring defense or total defense.

“Sometimes, when you look at it, you want to lead the league in scoring defense for sure,” he said. “You’ll probably lead the league in wins that way. Yeah, that would be the No. 1 goal for sure. A lot of things attribute to (scoring defense). You’ve got to protect the football (on offense) and things as well. Yeah, absolutely, if you’re picking one, I would pick that.

“I was part of the one that broke the record with the Ravens. But with that being said, the best defense in the history of this game was the ’85 Bears. I think (in) the scoring defense, I think they would maybe be in the top 10 or something like that. Most Ryans are up there. I think we’ve got five or six of them in that category. It just kind of seems that it works that way. I don’t get it.”

OK, let’s parse Ryan’s comments here.

First of all, scoring defense in football does not separate out things like pick 6s that the offense allows. So there is that.

The 2000 Ravens, a team that had Ryan as its defensive line coach, has the all-time record for fewest points allowed in a 16-game season (165). That is true.

In terms of points per game allowed since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, those Ravens are seventh (10.3). First are the 1977 Falcons, with 9.2. The 1985 Bears are tied for 18th (12.4). Ryan’s father, Buddy, was the defensive coordinator for that team, which dominated on its way to an 18-1 record, counting a Super Bowl blowout victory.

In total defense (yards per game allowed), the ’85 Bears allowed 258.4. That does not even rank among the top 25 all-time since 1970. Still, that was a great defense. The 25th team in that category, the 1979 Buccaneers, allowed 246.8 yards per game. Since the merger, the No. 1 defense in yards allowed per game is the 1970 Vikings (200.2).

We’ll give you full top 10 lists down below. But first, here is one more notable thing Ryan said Wednesday, regarding this Jets defense …

“We’re going to play to the strengths of our players, like we always do, and good things will happen,” Ryan said. “I know we’ll be successful. Ranking-wise or whatever on defense, we want to win – period. To do that, we think that our defense should be a top five defense, if you will. But as a team, we want to be a great football team. So whatever that takes, that’s what we plan on doing.”

He was asked if that might involve playing more Cover 2 zone defense, to account for his secondary’s deficiencies. Ryan prefers to play mostly man-to-man coverage in the defensive backfield. His father was an aggressive defensive play caller, too. So is Cover 2 a dirty word in the Buddy Ryan/Rex Ryan defense vocabulary?

“That’s a dirty word,” Ryan said with a smile. “But it’s funny, we’ll play Cover 2, depending on our personnel and calls. There are ways of disguising that Cover 2 as well.”

Anyway, we will see how all these predictions play out, and if Ryan is indeed right.

Here now, the top 10 lists since the 1970 merger – with the caveat, of course, that the league has changed its rules over the years, especially recently, to favor offenses. We have also denoted the teams on which Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan or Buddy Ryan was a coach, since Rex Ryan brought up that point Wednesday …

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/08/a_rite_of_august_rex_ryan_again_predicts_jets_will_have_top_5_defense.html

Rex Ryan: 'I never said I need the best corner in football. My defenses work. Period.'

August 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM, updated August 11, 2014 at 8:54 PM

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Cornerback problems? What cornerback problems?

The Jets might be down three of their top players at the position, but head coach Rex Ryan is still convinced everything is fine and dandy with the team's defense.

"I never said I had to have the best corner in football," Ryan said Monday, one day after Dee Milliner suffered what is believed to be a high ankle sprain and rookie Dexter McDougle tore his ACL, a double-whammy on top of previous calf, ankle, and quad injuries to veteran Dimitri Patterson.

"That's not it. My defenses work, period. I don't care what it is. We take what we have, and then we work around it. So we work to the strength of our players, and it's always players over system. We've been around enough that it'll work out.

"That's why, to me, it's not a panic situation, it's an opportunity. ... We're not a one-trick pony thing. We're not a team that tries to stick a square peg in a round hole. We'll take what we have and we'll make it work."

The tinkering began Monday, when the Jets had safety Antonio Allen, who had played SAM linebacker in college at South Carolina, running at cornerback with the first team, opposite Darrin Walls.

"We're going to try everybody there—everybody's going to get a shot," Ryan said. "That's just [Monday] how we did it."

Allen had two interceptions in team drills. Ryan also would not close the door on bringing in another corner, even if it's someone the Jets might have to try out.

"This is going to work," Ryan said. "We just don't necessarily know how yet. But this defense—one thing we know for a fact, that this defense will be an outstanding defense."

It's only Aug. 11, and the Jets have a little more than three weeks till the season opener. Time will tell if this is all just Ryan doing his best to spit-shine a defensive backfield that's covered in scuff marks. The Jets failed to land a high-profile corner in free agency, and they believe they have the depth to weather this situation. Does anyone who isn't on owner Woody Johnson's payroll believe that?

At one point, Ryan even referenced the 1985 Chicago Bears—maybe the greatest defense of all time, with Ryan's father, Buddy, as its coordinator—to drive home a point that the Bears' defense achieved what it did without a guy who had played cornerback in college. Reminder: The 2014 Jets are not the '85 Bears.

One work-around, Ryan explained, would be to design schemes that place more emphasis on the front seven and the pass rush. The Jets' defensive line is among the best in the league, so it's not like there's nothing to work with up front.

"It's the unit; it's not the individual," Ryan said. "Look, when we had Darrelle Revis, did we do specific things because of the skill-set of Darrelle Revis? One hundred percent, that would be an accurate statement. If we don't have a Darrelle Revis, do you play things maybe a tad different or whatever, and maybe put more of the burden on [inside linebacker] David Harris? Yeah. Or [outside linebacker] Calvin Pace? That's what you do."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/08/rex_ryan_i_never_said_i_need_the_best_cornerback_in_football_my_defense_works_period.html

No quitting for me aggravation and the Jets goes together during football season with seasons like this its what us Jets fans do we are miserable together.

45 years and counting..................

For me, I'm okay with a 4-12 season if I believe in the GM and HC and that the rebuilding plan is showing promise. That's how I felt last year when Rex was surprisingly retained.

But this year, there's nothing positive to build on, Geno and Rex have stepped back, the D doesn't work, Idzik again had a bad draft. It's quite disheartening.

SAR I

Archived