We Need to Spend Big $ For a New Head Coach

Jet27

www.crowdfunder.com

We can dream.

But seriously...Woody can't find anyone else besides Parcells? Woody's a dope...he hires dopes and we get a dopey franchise. It's really come to fruition the past few years under Rex running the football op. But let's all be clear...the problem with the New York Jets is Woody Johnson. There's nothing that would indicate he has any leadership or management skills whatsoever...and obviously none that relate to football.

I think of the available old hands of the NFL who might want that job--Parcells, Casserly, Polian--Parcells is the one I'd prefer, personally. I think he's the only one Woody would listen to.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a very misleading stat .... Most division games are tough games no matter who happens to be good at the current time and every NFL game is a tough game ...If he's beating the teams he's supposed to be beating then once again this stat is meaningless.

The teams in the playoffs typically have winning records. The Eagles were 1 and done last year.

Meaningless

why would Woody buy out Rex's last year for 3 mil and then pay someone 6, 7, 8 or more per year to get a "real" HC. It's way easier to pocket that money. LIke he did with this year's payroll.  Let's be honest he doesn't have any connections to find a real HC any way. He couldn't spend that money if he wanted to. Which he doesn't. 

I believe it's only $3 mil if Rex made the playoffs, $0 if he didn't.

why would Woody buy out Rex's last year for 3 mil and then pay someone 6, 7, 8 or more per year to get a "real" HC. It's way easier to pocket that money. LIke he did with this year's payroll.  Let's be honest he doesn't have any connections to find a real HC any way. He couldn't spend that money if he wanted to. Which he doesn't. 

I'm not sure of the specifics, but at the time the extension was signed, I remember hearing that last year was very incentive-based (e.g. "x" amount of wins, make playoffs, etc).

Rex's contract includes guaranteed 2015 full salary. 

http://nypost.com/2014/01/16/rex-ryan-gets-surprise-multi-year-extension-from-jets/

and he's already one of the cheapest head coaches in football. something like 25th highest salary

1. That was such a stupid contract. Rex should have walked, but he didn't have other options because he sucks.

2. It doesn't say how much was guaranteed in 2015, only that it was tied to incentives. Can't imagine he's reaching any of those.

It doesn't say how much was guaranteed in 2015, only that it was tied to incentives. Can't imagine he's reaching any of those.

It says they can move on AFTER 2015. Which means his measly by NFL standards 3 million dollar salary is guaranteed. All of it. Woody would have to buy out Rex. 

He's capable of doing it, he did buy out Tanny after all. But don't expect a high priced replacement.

From the standpoint of capital, that's paying double the labor for the same job. 

It's against everything woody and Ayn Rand stand for. 

Mangini was horrid. One of the very worst coaches in Jets' history, which -obviously- is saying something. The team quit on him two years in a row. He went 4-12 with that awesome collection of talent that apparently only he was capable of amassing, and only started to win with that band of winners once he went all in with Brett Favre. Of course, Favre came down with a mystery injury, and the team closed out 1-4, in true Mangini fashion, as a result. Guy was crap. 

Rex won with that 5-16 roster for the ages with Mark Sanchez at QB. 

Mangini was terrible, and those assistants were his hires - unlike Rex who's really the guy who got saddled with Schottenheimer. 

Sorry I didn't realize you had all this inside information on when teams quit on head coaches. Im sure players who want to play good to get paid just simply quit all the time ... I made it clear mangini was not that good of an X's and O's guy .... I laso made it clear I liked his ability to manage and build a team. If you feel he was a horrid HC that's great Im happy for you and your opinion but the fact is he built a pretty good team and had some pretty good drafts. Rex stepped in and won with those players until our organization decided to dismantle what we had in place and since that time our HC has accomplished nothing but 4 losing seasons so I guess hes a horrid coach as well for taking a roster that was a few players away from a real SB run and destroying it whne all he probably had to do was add some real Offensive talent to complement a above average running game.

Sorry I didn't realize you had all this inside information on when teams quit on head coaches. Im sure players who want to play good to get paid just simply quit all the time ... I made it clear mangini was not that good of an X's and O's guy .... I laso made it clear I liked his ability to manage and build a team. If you feel he was a horrid HC that's great Im happy for you and your opinion but the fact is he built a pretty good team and had some pretty good drafts. Rex stepped in and won with those players until our organization decided to dismantle what we had in place and since that time our HC has accomplished nothing but 4 losing seasons so I guess hes a horrid coach as well for taking a roster that was a few players away from a real SB run and destroying it whne all he probably had to do was add some real Offensive talent to complement a above average running game.

(psssst ask slats to name the seasons in which the Jets quit on Rex)

Mangini is the most embarrassingly overrated figure in Jets' history. He and Tannenbaum hit on three first rounders, and also drafted Vernon Gholston. Not a lot else to talk about, unless you're partial to boar hunters. That band of incredible talent only won when there was a healthy Brett Favre at the helm. Otherwise, they were drop dead awful. He was no manager, he just mimicked Belichick and people bought in to the whole Mangenius nonsense. 

There's a reason he's a tight end coach right now. 

Mangini is the most embarrassingly overrated figure in Jets' history. He and Tannenbaum hit on three first rounders, and also drafted Vernon Gholston. Not a lot else to talk about, unless you're partial to boar hunters. That band of incredible talent only won when there was a healthy Brett Favre at the helm. Otherwise, they were drop dead awful. He was no manager, he just mimicked Belichick and people bought in to the whole Mangenius nonsense. 

Actually, he preps Kaepernick each week on the opposing defense. Francesa had that tidbit. 

Actually, he preps Kaepernick each week on the opposing defense. Francesa had that tidbit. 

I knew there was a reason the 49ers have managed to score two more TDs than the Jets this year. That must be it. 

Rumor is Cowher is waiting for the Giants job.

1 NFC so he wouldn't have to directly compete with Pitt.

2 Stable ownership like the Rooney family.

3 Storied franchise like the Steelers.

Also the Rooneys and Maras(half owners of Giants) are related by marriage, basically irish cousins. Steeler management and fan base wouldn't view it as any kind of betrayal. 

If you're gonna be a miserable human being like Mangini, you had better win. The hard ass NFL coach doesn't work any more. May be players aren't drawn to a players' coach, but they're repelled by the angry guy crap.These are grown men, not college kids.  They will get paid roughly the same elsewhere. What ever you think of Revis, he is a student of the game, and he said in "Crossers" he almost considered quitting altogether after a few seasons of the Mangenius. Nobody wants to get browbeat every day at work. It gets old, and like Al Groh or Joe Walton or Mangini, by season's end you're team is gonna be deep fried. 

I think of the available old hands of the NFL who might want that job--Parcells, Casserly, Polian--Parcells is the one I'd prefer, personally. I think he's the only one Woody would listen to.

Parcells is old now though...I think too old.

I'm a fan of Charlie casserly.

He's probably okder than parcells, but he's still a student of the game and pretty much knows a good player and good coach when he sees one.

What has Parcells been doing, betting the ponys ?? As far as football is concerned, he's stuck in the 80s.

He's hardly as involved as casserly..casserly loves analyzing players and he's still pretty good. I never get the sense the game has passed him by. He's aware of what needed. Plus he's tell woody to take a hike

Casserly over Parcells is a slam dunk choice, IMO

That has nothing to do with what I posted. 

Actually I think I did address it...I think it is in our best interest to get a proven guy, you say you don't want retreads, is Cowher a retread? or Gruden? How about Norv Turner?.......if the Jets give some one elses DC or OC a promotion we will be back here in another 4 years saying the same exact thing

Mangini was horrid. One of the very worst coaches in Jets' history, which -obviously- is saying something. The team quit on him two years in a row. He went 4-12 with that awesome collection of talent that apparently only he was capable of amassing, and only started to win with that band of winners once he went all in with Brett Favre. Of course, Favre came down with a mystery injury, and the team closed out 1-4, in true Mangini fashion, as a result. Guy was crap. 

Rex won with that 5-16 roster for the ages with Mark Sanchez at QB. 

Mangini was terrible, and those assistants were his hires - unlike Rex who's really the guy who got saddled with Schottenheimer. 

Dude, 2008 Mangini was the HC and we had Favre.....we were 8-3 after beating the Titans and the Pats back to back (the two best in the AFC at the time) easily. Farve gets hurt and we finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs......2009 same cast of characters (built from 2008) and Rex and Sanchez....AFCCG loss...2010 same thing with basically the same cast......2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 all on REX/Tanny and 2013 and 2014 all on Rex and IS-DICK. Those are the facts.....

I knew there was a reason the 49ers have managed to score two more TDs than the Jets this year. That must be it. 

San Fran prior to Mangini "prepping Kap for opposing defenses", arguably the best team in the NFL. San Fran with Mangini "prepping Kap for opposing defense", a .500 ball club.  Ironic?  I think not! 

If you're gonna be a miserable human being like Mangini, you had better win. The hard ass NFL coach doesn't work any more. May be players aren't drawn to a players' coach, but they're repelled by the angry guy crap.These are grown men, not college kids.  They will get paid roughly the same elsewhere. What ever you think of Revis, he is a student of the game, and he said in "Crossers" he almost considered quitting altogether after a few seasons of the Mangenius. Nobody wants to get browbeat every day at work. It gets old, and like Al Groh or Joe Walton or Mangini, by season's end you're team is gonna be deep fried. 

Mangini is not even a real hardass.  He is like the mean kindergarten teacher.  Demanding everybody know all the coaches names, rather than actually busting asses.  I think that Rex is hurt because while he is a player's coach, he would have countered some of that with more hitting and harder practices.  The new NFLPA stuff has put a big damper on that and we are left with just the mushy side. 

Parcells is old now though...I think too old.

Parcells has been too old for more than a decade. One of his adages is that when a guy contemplates retiring you should treat him like he already has, well he has retired five times already. 

I'm a fan of Charlie casserly.

He's probably okder than parcells, but he's still a student of the game and pretty much knows a good player and good coach when he sees one.

What has Parcells been doing, betting the ponys ?? As far as football is concerned, he's stuck in the 80s.

He's hardly as involved as casserly..casserly loves analyzing players and he's still pretty good. I never get the sense the game has passed him by. He's aware of what needed. Plus he's tell woody to take a hike

Casserly over Parcells is a slam dunk choice, IMO

Student of the game, the greatest all-time HOF pronunciation of LaDainian and that wig.  Lord, that wig!  What's not to like?

Actually I think I did address it...I think it is in our best interest to get a proven guy, you say you don't want retreads, is Cowher a retread? or Gruden? How about Norv Turner?.......if the Jets give some one elses DC or OC a promotion we will be back here in another 4 years saying the same exact thing

Do you not understand the term "retread?"

Norv Turner? Are you ******* serious? I'd rather stab myself in the eyeball with a butter knife than see Norv Turner coach the Jets. 

Not a huge fan of that offense as it relates to the NFL.  He runs the ball over twice as much as they pass.  And his pass plays are all created off deception.  Not sure he knows how to coach a pocket passer, he never has before and I dont see how he's going to adjust that offense to the NFL. His teams dont play defense, he cant stop anyone, every game is a shootout nail bitter. 

I think last year was one of the luckiest runs I've ever seen.  It was an incredible turnaround, but he literally won the 2 biggest games of the year on the craziest plays I've ever seen.  Hail Mary tip TD vs. Georgia and the FG return vs. Bama.  sh*t was insane.  And then, they won the other night on some crazy bull sh*t with a dude literally walking in for the score, breaks his leg and fumbles an inch from the endzone. 

Very curious to see how they finish the year.  vs. A&M, @ Georgia, vs Samford @ Bama. 

Right now, I dont see it.  He's got gimmicky offense that would never translate to the NFL and his teams dont play defense, like at all.  

all decent points.   I'll counter with this: 

He is an offensive innovator who believes in 'playing fast'.   he has basically changed the game of college football to the point that there was a movement to change the rules just to slow auburn down.  Malzahn is consistently beating more talented teams with his "gimicks" although they aren't really gimicks.   His offense is based on pressuring the defense and DC.   he finds weaknesses and then moves so fast you can't adjust.   

I'm not sure Malzahn has ever been out of the south but he is undoubtedly and innovative offensive mind. 

Do you not understand the term "retread?"

Norv Turner? Are you ******* serious? I'd rather stab myself in the eyeball with a butter knife than see Norv Turner coach the Jets. 

Yes I do, what is your definition?

Archived