John Idzik: MERGED

detjetsfan69

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is well documented that he's done more than influence. He and others are on-record about him hand-picking players, he's also on-record washing his hands of accountability for other picks. If he gets to denounce some picks, it implies he makes others. 

I have read that rex snatches the draft card from his gms and runs to the podium

well for 1 i liked the pryor pick

i like the fact we will be able to retain wilkerson without using the dreaded franchise tag

I like bringing in vick even if the coach is to dumb to use him

I like the jace amaro drafting over ebron

I like the decker signing

now obv he is not going to be 100 percent no human ever is unless you cheat like belli and brady

He has done some good for the team like allowing us to be able to draft more than 3-4 players to start our rebuild who knows maybe some of these so called busts would not be if we had a decent QB getting them the ball or a HC that actually taught both sides of the ball.

I have read that rex snatches the draft card from his gms and runs to the podium

Nobodies take the card to the podium, coaches and GMs are in the war room, banging their fists on the table and selecting guys who can "know your face in".

It is well documented that he's done more than influence. He and others are on-record about him hand-picking players, he's also on-record washing his hands of accountability for other picks. If he gets to denounce some picks, it implies he makes others.

It really only implies that approves of others.

It really only implies that approves of others.

Except for the spoken fact that he has done things like promise guys that if they are there, we are taking them (Coples), or he hand-picked guys (especially with Tanny who gave him at least 1 pick per draft as his own, and in drafts with only 4-5 selections that is significant).

Rex has also been very, very vocal about FAs that he's wanted and gotten here. 

The argument that Rex has had no impact on the roster here is laughable. The only argument in which saying Rex hasn't impacted the roster is in the context that people say he hasn't developed enough of the talent here. 

Except for the spoken fact that he has done things like promise guys that if they are there, we are taking them (Coples), or he hand-picked guys (especially with Tanny who gave him at least 1 pick per draft as his own, and in drafts with only 4-5 selections that is significant).

Rex has also been very, very vocal about FAs that he's wanted and gotten here. 

The argument that Rex has had no impact on the roster here is laughable. The only argument in which saying Rex hasn't impacted the roster is in the context that people say he hasn't developed enough of the talent here.

Of course he had an impact on the roster, especially during the Tannenbaum years. Just pointing out that your logic about the implications didn't work. I denounce certain draft picks, that doesn't mean I made others.

Rex wasn't in charge of the roster, though. And he certainly wasn't in charge of Tannenbaum trading away so many picks, overpaying for too many players, etc. Those things also had a very large impact on the roster. I think we agree that Rex has had significantly less input the last two years, and the last two years have seen something of a downturn.

Of course he had an impact on the roster, especially during the Tannenbaum years. Just pointing out that your logic about the implications didn't work. I denounce certain draft picks, that doesn't mean I made others.

Rex wasn't in charge of the roster, though. And he certainly wasn't in charge of Tannenbaum trading away so many picks, overpaying for too many players, etc. Those things also had a very large impact on the roster. I think we agree that Rex has had significantly less input the last two years, and the last two years have seen something of a downturn.

Gotcha.

Nobodies take the card to the podium, coaches and GMs are in the war room, banging their fists on the table and selecting guys who can "know your face in".

yes, I am well aware of how the draft process works. all rex can do is influence, in which I clearly stated, and believe rex has gotten his way more than once. but ultimately, the gm buys the groceries. i have never said that rex is awesome, great at developing young offensive talent, or that he should be making any picks of any sort. my response is to the posters that believe that rex is horrible and is the cause to this 1-5 season and that idzik DESERVES another chance. like i said before, if the jets want to clean house, i am fine with that. if the jets want to fire rex and keep idzik on for 3 more years, god help us

Nope.  Rex is the end all be all.  He makes every single decision for the entire Jets organization, alone.  He even orders the office supplies. 

Nope.  Rex is the end all be all.  He makes every single decision for the entire Jets organization, alone.  He even orders the office supplies. 

you just know it was rex that forced john idzik to field a bunch of nobodies at the corner position. that has rex written all over it. just to prove how good a dc he was

Every HC has some impact on the draft.  His opinions are asked, then the GM moves on, and if he is smart uses the advice of his head of college scouting and scouts.  The HC's role is to tell them what he needs to improve the team.

As far as well documented that he has an influence, a HC should have some.  The only things that I have read about Rex making selections is that he is given a late round pick.  6th and 7th round picks are total crap shoots and if the player even makes the team as a special teamer it is a success 

mangini didn't build anything, tanny did. are you trying to say the 2009 roster was of championship game quality? for all of rex's shenanigans, at least give credit when credit is due. rex came in and delivered the number 1 defense, found a way to sneak into the play offs, win 2 underdog road play off games, and stay competitive till the 2nd half of the championship game, luck be damned. all with a bum rookie qb and no receivers. come on,man!! you want to sh*t on rex for anything after the san diego play off game in 2010, feel free. anything else is nonsense

Mangini made decisions, tanny executed....it was the same with Rex, do u think it's just coincidence that the moves that were made under Mangini worked out wayyyy better than the ones under Rex?

yes, I am well aware of how the draft process works. all rex can do is influence, in which I clearly stated, and believe rex has gotten his way more than once. but ultimately, the gm buys the groceries. i have never said that rex is awesome, great at developing young offensive talent, or that he should be making any picks of any sort. my response is to the posters that believe that rex is horrible and is the cause to this 1-5 season and that idzik DESERVES another chance. like i said before, if the jets want to clean house, i am fine with that. if the jets want to fire rex and keep idzik on for 3 more years, god help us

They need to clean house. 

Mangini made decisions, tanny executed....it was the same with Rex, do u think it's just coincidence that the moves that were made under Mangini worked out wayyyy better than the ones under Rex?

now mangini was the man behind the curtain. this board has gone to the dogs lately

Tannenbaum had three terrible drafts in a row, beginning with his last year with Mangini - easily one of the worst drafts in team history (which is saying something!). His third draft with Rex was just about as good as anything he did with Mangini, and he did it selecting 30th overall with no second round pick.

In fairness to Rex, the Mangini decisions weren't much better.

Both coaches suck. The only thing that propped either of them up over the years was the cluster of veterans we had

lol at you. all rex could do is influence. ultimately, its the gms job to buy the groceries. which world beater offensive players has tanny drafted before rex? I will waite for your response

thank you for making my point. mangini told tanny which players to draft, and he did it. same with rex, except he didn't take ANY offensive players in the first round or in later rounds who weren't projects. too much influence.

ETA: the o-line players drafted pre-Rex were solid. if there was an offensive plan after that, it went out the window when Mangini was fired.

my father was an amazing guitarist who studied classical guitar at a prestigious college, his mother was a legally blind self taught concert pianist, and his father was about as accomplished musician as one can be, first bass in the new orleans orchestra as well as a professor of music and ability to play any stringed instrument with proficiency. My father has cousins and uncles who all had various degrees of success in music, from the drummer for White Lion to the band leader in the movie the Godfather. I can not play a kazoo.

It's never about just "talent".

How much effort did you put in to learn music, before you gave it up?

I'd bet every person on your family list put in thousands of hours minimum, talent or not.

In fairness to Rex, the Mangini decisions weren't much better.

Both coaches suck. The only thing that propped either of them up over the years was the cluster of veterans we had

Yeah I'm wondering if Mangini was such a brilliant drafter why did he get fired after 2 horrible years in Cleveland and nobody in the NFL will touch him?

thank you for making my point. mangini told tanny which players to draft, and he did it. same with rex, except he didn't take ANY offensive players in the first round or in later rounds who weren't projects. too much influence.

ETA: the o-line players drafted pre-Rex were solid. if there was an offensive plan after that, it went out the window when Mangini was fired.

Tannenclown and Idzik were the GM's when we drafted losers like Ducasse and Winters.  They were heading multi-million dollar scouting departments and front offices.

Yeah I'm wondering if Mangini was such a brilliant drafter why did he get fired after 2 horrible years in Cleveland and nobody in the NFL will touch him?

He works for the 49ers, one of the best teams in the league over the past couple of seasons.

With the Bohanon injury we're really in a bind. You know how valuable FB's are nowadays. Who's playing fullback for Idzik's son's college team? I'm thinking we can go that route in round 3 or 4.

Why draft Jameis Winston or Mariota in rd 1 when you can use a top 3 pick on a fullback and sign Matt Schaub to the league mini?

Mangini sucked as a coach, but he understood the value of high character veterans and a dominant offensive line. Those were the 2 aspects of what Mangini left behind, other than Revis, that helped Rex win at first. 

Rex is a very good defensive coach. No argument, but the Jets are the Jets and frankly need more than that at the helm.

Mangini sucked as a coach, but he understood the value of high character veterans and a dominant offensive line. Those were the 2 aspects of what Mangini left behind, other than Revis, that helped Rex win at first.

Rex is a very good defensive coach. No argument, but the Jets are the Jets and frankly need more than that at the helm.

agree. and it goes without saying, the Jets are hurt by the fact that defense is being hugely limited in the NFL. if Rex was an offensive guy, we might be better off.

He works for the 49ers, one of the best teams in the league over the past couple of seasons.

He was out of football for a couple or few years before landing a consultant job with the 49ers. This year he was promoted all the way up to TE coach. Sort of an odd trajectory for such a personnel genius.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you're being sarcastic with all of these rants. Or maybe not. Maybe you're being serious. You really can never tell on this board.

Stuff like this can get you thrown off this forum if you're taking the sarcastic route. If you're serious, you may be considered for captain!

I'm being sarcastic. If that gets me thrown off the board, then the pleasure has been all mine.

every jet win= historical great coaching by Rex ...every loss = someone else's fault...wow this gets worse by the day.

I hope you're just wanting to hear yourself talk because I never said there was great coaching by Rex ... seldom even good coaching that matches his job description as HC - not DC.

What I did ask was who was going to win games with the barf we have to call a defensive secondary and receiving corp. Throw in the QB and half the O line as bonus abortions as well. 

Archived