John Idzik: MERGED

detjetsfan69

Mangini sucked as a coach, but he understood the value of high character veterans and a dominant offensive line. Those were the 2 aspects of what Mangini left behind, other than Revis, that helped Rex win at first. 

Rex is a very good defensive coach. No argument, but the Jets are the Jets and frankly need more than that at the helm.

High character veterans?  Who?  Kimo Von Olhoffen - dirtiest guy in the league and among the worst 3-4 DEs?  They drafted character and many of those guys SUCKED - Boar Hunter, Eric Smith.  Everyone was a team captain, but many could not run.  He valued O-line?  Sure they drafted Brick and Mangold, but they went into a few seasons with Anthony Clement at RT.   You can blame some stuff on Tannenbaum, but the shaming of Kendall, putting him in the rookie dorm and forcing a trade to go with Adrien Clarke was all Mangini. Sounds dominant.  

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was out of football for a couple or few years before landing a consultant job with the 49ers. This year he was promoted all the way up to TE coach. Sort of an odd trajectory for such a personnel genius.

Nobody, especially not me, is selling Mangini as a great asset to a football team. He was in broadcasting, not entirely out of football. We're talking about a guy who was a water boy just to work close to the game, his work with the 49'ers, from what I read, was also about wanting to work close to the offensive side of the ball, to broaden his experience and make himself more well-rounded.

High character veterans?  Who?  Kimo Von Olhoffen - dirtiest guy in the league and among the worst 3-4 DEs?  They drafted character and many of those guys SUCKED - Boar Hunter, Eric Smith.  Everyone was a team captain, but many could not run.  He valued O-line?  Sure they drafted Brick and Mangold, but they went into a few seasons with Anthony Clement at RT.   You can blame some stuff on Tannenbaum, but the shaming of Kendall, putting him in the rookie dorm and forcing a trade to go with Adrien Clarke was all Mangini. Sounds dominant.  

I said he valued high character, I didn't say he batted 100% on bringing in choir boys. Rex has been the polar opposite.

If you look at the stats of our offensive line from the time, it was in fact dominant (top 10 in the league being the qualifier for "dominant" in this case).

I hope you're just wanting to hear yourself talk because I never said there was great coaching by Rex ... seldom even good coaching that matches his job description as HC - not DC.

What I did ask was who was going to win games with the barf we have to call a defensive secondary and receiving corp. Throw in the QB and half the O line as bonus abortions as well.

no man living or deceased would get 3 wins out of this team...so by definition Rex is already 1/3 of the way to being the greatest coach to ever live ...got it.

yes, I am well aware of how the draft process works. all rex can do is influence, in which I clearly stated, and believe rex has gotten his way more than once. but ultimately, the gm buys the groceries. i have never said that rex is awesome, great at developing young offensive talent, or that he should be making any picks of any sort. my response is to the posters that believe that rex is horrible and is the cause to this 1-5 season and that idzik DESERVES another chance. like i said before, if the jets want to clean house, i am fine with that. if the jets want to fire rex and keep idzik on for 3 more years, god help us

so then on hard knocks when tanny had to ask rex if he wanted holmes means rex is hands off right............or the fact that he kept praising john connor before the draft.......sure all of that had no bearing on tanny picking or trading for a guy.............tanny didn't go to rex and say hey I just traded for holmes he had to ask if rex wanted him first............I say that is considerable influence and it was on national tv for all to see.

I said he valued high character, I didn't say he batted 100% on bringing in choir boys. Rex has been the polar opposite.

If you look at the stats of our offensive line from the time, it was in fact dominant (top 10 in the league being the qualifier for "dominant" in this case).

The Oline stats are talent evaluation, not resource allocation.  You think Rex doesn't value OLine?  Woody got old and they got extremely lucky taking an aging C/G and having him excel at RT.  Faneca was a response to Adrien Clarke torpedoing a season.  Under Mangini they drafted Brick, Mangold, Bender and Garner.  Under Rex they have drafted Slauson, Ducasse, Griffin, Winters, Aboushi, Campbell, and Dozier.  Ferguson and Mangold both got their extensions under Rex.  

Unlike you and Shane, I don't blame the rosters on the coaches.  Maybe I should.  Part of the don't blame Rex mentality comes from the ****ed up power structure.  Who answers to who?  Everybody complains that Rex ignores offense, but he was set up to do that by the team forcing Schottenheimer on him.  I am good with giving Idzik a year with his own coach, but not confident.  If the roster is not dramatically better next year he has to go.  Can't save money forever and if his drafts don't start looking better he just flat out sucks.  

The Oline stats are talent evaluation, not resource allocation.  You think Rex doesn't value OLine?  Woody got old and they got extremely lucky taking an aging C/G and having him excel at RT.  Faneca was a response to Adrien Clarke torpedoing a season.  Under Mangini they drafted Brick, Mangold, Bender and Garner.  Under Rex they have drafted Slauson, Ducasse, Griffin, Winters, Aboushi, Campbell, and Dozier.  Ferguson and Mangold both got their extensions under Rex.  

Unlike you and Shane, I don't blame the rosters on the coaches.  Maybe I should.  Part of the don't blame Rex mentality comes from the ****ed up power structure.  Who answers to who?  Everybody complains that Rex ignores offense, but he was set up to do that by the team forcing Schottenheimer on him.  I am good with giving Idzik a year with his own coach, but not confident.  If the roster is not dramatically better next year he has to go.  Can't save money forever and if his drafts don't start looking better he just flat out sucks.  

At least when you disagree, you make sense. 

Rex is obviously not the only person to blame, but he's not part of the solution, and I'd go so far as to say he's been the crux of the problem. I'm harder on him now, more than ever, because he should have already been fired, and because anyone that deflects accountability and throws people under the bus the way he does, deserves to be sh*t on.

People who do that kind of sh*t in real life are scum. In the NFL they are apparently heroes to some people.

Rex is obviously not the only person to blame, but he's not part of the solution, and I'd go so far as to say he's been the crux of the problem. I'm harder on him now, more than ever, because he should have already been fired, and because anyone that deflects accountability and throws people under the bus the way he does, deserves to be sh*t on.

People who do that kind of sh*t in real life are scum. In the NFL they are apparently heroes to some people.

couldn't have said it better , this is the exact reason I am so done with him as well.

so then on hard knocks when tanny had to ask rex if he wanted holmes means rex is hands off right............or the fact that he kept praising john connor before the draft.......sure all of that had no bearing on tanny picking or trading for a guy.............tanny didn't go to rex and say hey I just traded for holmes he had to ask if rex wanted him first............I say that is considerable influence and it was on national tv for all to see.

is my use of the word "influence" wrong here? i am pretty sure i think i know what "influence" means. maybe i don't. my apologies

Is Rex the one deflecting blame or is it the way Woody set things up?  Parcells started all that here and he certainly is a hero to plenty.  He is staying, he is going, etc, etc.  That caused us to lose Belichick. Then he hung around long enough to keep "suggesting" people including Tannenbaum and Sparano. Never any blame, but plenty of credit - that probably came more from his crooked media ties (Francessa).  Ever since we have had GMs that blamed scouts/former GMs, coaches that got stuck with assistants, GMs that got stuck with coaches.  It's a ******* mess.  Whether Rex throws people under the bus or not is barely relevant - these guys are not working together because the system separates them and their performance.  They should all be on the hook together, but with the NYJ they never are.  

starting to be on board with this thinking as well...I'm so done with Rex's cowardice like I stated above but it's a team effort of incompetence

cowardice...lmao...seriously. i think he has to go for the benefit of the team also. lets not make this something its not. who did he throw under the bus that didn't belong under it? next up is idzik throwing rex under the bus. its the way the world works. get over it.

cowardice...lmao...seriously. i think he has to go for the benefit of the team also. lets not make this something its not. who did he throw under the bus that didn't belong under it? next up is idzik throwing rex under the bus. its the way the world works. get over it.

Rex is by definition a coward.

Idzik stays at least one more season.  We need to know how he spends all the cash he freed up.

The best way to evaluate Idzik's choices is to finish with the best possible draft position.

So everyone quit peeing your pants over the current record.  We need a bad year, and careful analysis of the next offseason's spending.

yes, his picture belongs in the dictionary. right next to the word. are you for real? just answer my original question.

he threw people under he bus to save his own hide , he still has his job for that very reason ..that and his a### kissing the trust fund baby owner...as far as did they deserve it or not? Maybe but he deserved it as well...and yes his management style is that of a coward...I'm not talking street fights here I'm talking management style and leadership...he's lost his locker room not once but twice do to being incapable or afraid to handle basic malcontent issues..see santonio Holmes ....throwing people under the bus the sneaky back alley way he does ( leaks to Mehta etc etc..) doesn't make it any less shii##y and yes cowardly just because they may have deserved it.....just the way I feel man.

It's never about just "talent".

How much effort did you put in to learn music, before you gave it up?

I'd bet every person on your family list put in thousands of hours minimum, talent or not.

The point was just because Idzik came from a "football family" it doesn't mean he has any idea what he is doing or he will make a good gm.

he threw people under he bus to save his own hide , he still has his job for that very reason ..that and his a### kissing the trust fund baby owner...as far as did they deserve it or not? Maybe but he deserved it as well...and yes his management style is that of a coward...I'm not talking street fights here I'm talking management style and leadership...he's lost his locker room not once but twice do to being incapable or afraid to handle basic malcontent issues..see santonio Holmes ....throwing people under the bus the sneaky back alley way he does ( leaks to Mehta etc etc..) doesn't make it any less shii##y and yes cowardly just because they may have deserved it.....just the way I feel man.

Who did he throw under the bus?  Tannenbaum?  There is plenty of press and board blaming of Idzik and others, but I haven't seen Rex doing it.  I think the locker room sh*t is overblown around here.  He seems a bit too soft and loyal, but that is about it.  If anybody was throwing people under the bus it appeared to be Pettine and that is why they let him walk. 

Bullsh*t your stupid and don't know what your talking bout .. learn some facts go to jets school

I am stupid and don't know what I am talking about. Can  you give me the address to jets school please? I have money left on my GI bill and would like to attend. 

Archived