John Idzik: MERGED

detjetsfan69

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to defend Idzik here, but it's sort of a leap to say he's made some gambles and then lead with selecting Milliner. If memory serves, Milliner had outstanding measurables for a corner, was a consensus top 15 guy and the 1A or 1B of the corners in that draft. Not to mention that corner is a fundamentally solid position to use your 1st rounder on. There was nothing about that pick that was a "gamble".

I wouldn't call Idzik a gambler at all really. He's conservative, and that shows up in about everything he does.

Underbidding FA's. Signing JAGs for "short money" like Patterson, Johnson, Goodson, Colon, etc. Not bundling picks to trade up and acquire an addition pick in the earlier rounds of this years draft. Drafting for need (which, let's face it, he has absolutely done this) with picks like Saunders (punt returner) and the 3 offensive linemen he took last year (burning multiple picks throwing darts to see if he could land a guard). 

People are complaining a lot lately about how last year's draft was Sheldon and nothing else. I think he got unlucky with Milliner, his college injury was his shoulder, his new injuries are his legs. Bad luck. Geno was a 2nd rounder, he should have been developed behind someone. The pick was smart at the time, the development of the player has been abysmal. I think he did alright picking all those OL, but do agree that he burned too many picks on filling one hole. Bohannon was a fine pick.

This year's draft is different. Some people are apparently expecting immediate contributions from everyone selected above the 5th round. Others know to give it a year or two. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Pryor looks like a rookie. Amaro did too. I wonder why? McDougle and Evans might surprise a lot of us next year. Reilly, Ik, Dozier all good developmental depth. The only real F was the Saunders pick, and the only philosophical disagreements I have with how he approached this draft is him not moving back up for a higher rated WR, and not taking a Tom Savage type of 4th round QB.

Unfortunately, nobody explained to Jets fans that building through the draft doesn't mean pick 12 guys, have them deliver 10 wins in their rookie year. It means pick 12 guys, and develop the ones you can over their first couple years. 

The way I look at the situation right now is, if you are going to fire Rex, you might as well fire Idzik IF there is a risk that you will have to settle for a 2nd or 3rd choice head coach because the GM is already in place. IF this isn't an issue, then you let Idzik hire a coach of his choice, look at how the year 1 and year 2 drafts contribute next year, see how he drafts next year, and more importantly how he uses all this ******* cap space to complete the rebuild in year 3. 

If there is any possibility that this rebuild extends beyond year 3, then **** 'em all. Clean house.

That's not throwing darts. Tannenbaum tried to throw darts.  Idzik is shooting a shotgun...and still missing.  3 WR, zero hits 2 total misses.  4 OGs, one very low rated starter.   

Not to defend Idzik here, but it's sort of a leap to say he's made some gambles and then lead with selecting Milliner. If memory serves, Milliner had outstanding measurables for a corner, was a consensus top 15 guy and the 1A or 1B of the corners in that draft. Not to mention that corner is a fundamentally solid position to use your 1st rounder on. There was nothing about that pick that was a "gamble".

I wouldn't call Idzik a gambler at all really. He's conservative, and that shows up in about everything he does.

Underbidding FA's. Signing JAGs for "short money" like Patterson, Johnson, Goodson, Colon, etc. Not bundling picks to trade up and acquire an addition pick in the earlier rounds of this years draft. Drafting for need (which, let's face it, he has absolutely done this) with picks like Saunders (punt returner) and the 3 offensive linemen he took last year (burning multiple picks throwing darts to see if he could land a guard). 

People are complaining a lot lately about how last year's draft was Sheldon and nothing else. I think he got unlucky with Milliner, his college injury was his shoulder, his new injuries are his legs. Bad luck. Geno was a 2nd rounder, he should have been developed behind someone. The pick was smart at the time, the development of the player has been abysmal. I think he did alright picking all those OL, but do agree that he burned too many picks on filling one hole. Bohannon was a fine pick.

This year's draft is different. Some people are apparently expecting immediate contributions from everyone selected above the 5th round. Others know to give it a year or two. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Pryor looks like a rookie. Amaro did too. I wonder why? McDougle and Evans might surprise a lot of us next year. Reilly, Ik, Dozier all good developmental depth. The only real F was the Saunders pick, and the only philosophical disagreements I have with how he approached this draft is him not moving back up for a higher rated WR, and not taking a Tom Savage type of 4th round QB.

Unfortunately, nobody explained to Jets fans that building through the draft doesn't mean pick 12 guys, have them deliver 10 wins in their rookie year. It means pick 12 guys, and develop the ones you can over their first couple years. 

The way I look at the situation right now is, if you are going to fire Rex, you might as well fire Idzik IF there is a risk that you will have to settle for a 2nd or 3rd choice head coach because the GM is already in place. IF this isn't an issue, then you let Idzik hire a coach of his choice, look at how the year 1 and year 2 drafts contribute next year, see how he drafts next year, and more importantly how he uses all this ******* cap space to complete the rebuild in year 3. 

If there is any possibility that this rebuild extends beyond year 3, then **** 'em all. Clean house.

One of the young kids at my Job went to school with Miliner and from what he told me a lot of red flags should have gone up on this kid if they really put in the effort to look into his personality and his on field play.

Apparently Milliner was looked at by most of his school as a dick who faired poorly against the better competition. His attitude on campus was well known for having that "Im better than you" attitude that turned most people off but he did it in a big way from what I was told . I asked this guy what he thought about Milliner as a player and he told me he could not believe he was drafted where he was selected. he does not follow or watch the Jets so he asked me how Miliner was doing in the NFL and I basically told him he sucks and he was not in the least bit surprised. So how much effort do the Jets really put into finding out about character and talent ? makes you wonder ... Mangini had the right idea smart character players win football games ...dumb arrogant assholes lose them

One of the young kids at my Job went to school with Miliner and from what he told me a lot of red flags should have gone up on this kid if they really put in the effort to look into his personality and his on field play.

Apparently Milliner was looked at by most of his school as a dick who faired poorly against the better competition. His attitude on campus was well known for having that "Im better than you" attitude that turned most people off but he did it in a big way from what I was told . I asked this guy what he thought about Milliner as a player and he told me he could not believe he was drafted where he was selected. he does not follow or watch the Jets so he asked me how Miliner was doing in the NFL and I basically told him he sucks and he was not in the least bit surprised. So how much effort do the Jets really put into finding out about character and talent ? makes you wonder ... Mangini had the right idea smart character players win football games ...dumb arrogant assholes lose them

That probably describes 99.9% of the guys in the NFL.  It's like saying the guy is juicing or using HGH.  Milliner was fine in college, the only question mark to his game was supposedly a lack of elite speed,which went out the window when he ran 4.37, fastest corner at the combine.  Milliner was not a reach or surprise pick and missed only one game in college.  Richardson was the reach/surprise and that was a hit.  .  

That probably describes 99.9% of the guys in the NFL.  It's like saying the guy is juicing or using HGH.  Milliner was fine in college, the only question mark to his game was supposedly a lack of elite speed,which went out the window when he ran 4.37, fastest corner at the combine.  Milliner was not a reach or surprise pick and missed only one game in college.  Richardson was the reach/surprise and that was a hit.  .  

Not saying he was a reach or a surprise pick just relaying what I was told about his character and his ability vs the better talent. Funny the Jets didn't see any of that ...you know the stuff that makes a lot of the players in the NFL draft slide

Milliner was a gamble because he was injury prone. He has proved himself to be an albatross.  He came in injured with serious shoulder problems to begin with. Not exactly a positive for a guy who is expected to make tackles and dive all over the place breaking up passes. Then he misses all of training camp in his first year and takes forever to get integrated into the defense. Then he finally gets 'healthy' 'and opens up his big mouth declaring himself the second coming of Richard Sherman as 'I'm the best corner in the NFL'. He then starts his second year (guess)......injured again with hamstring and ankle problems.  He again misses most of training camp, the beginning of the season ....again.... and then basically tears his ankle to shreds when he returns. He has now sustained an injury that will leave him a liability as a corner.  His career is in total jeopardy now.  Bottom line is YOU DONT DRAFT INJURY PRONE PLAYERS especially not with your first pick.  I could see if he was chosen in the  3rd or 4th round considering 'how high' he was supposed to go.  Numerous players have fallen in the draft for the same exact reason.  What we have now is yet another wasted 1st round disaster.        

Milliner was a gamble because he was injury prone. He has proved himself to be an albatross.  He came in injured with serious shoulder problems to begin with. Not exactly a positive for a guy who is expected to make tackles and dive all over the place breaking up passes. Then he misses all of training camp in his first year and takes forever to get integrated into the defense. Then he finally gets 'healthy' 'and opens up his big mouth declaring himself the second coming of Richard Sherman as 'I'm the best corner in the NFL'. He then starts his second year (guess)......injured again with hamstring and ankle problems.  He again misses most of training camp, the beginning of the season ....again.... and then basically tears his ankle to shreds when he returns. He has now sustained an injury that will leave him a liability as a corner.  His career is in total jeopardy now.  Bottom line is YOU DONT DRAFT INJURY PRONE PLAYERS especially not with your first pick.  I could see if he was chosen in the  3rd or 4th round considering 'how high' he was supposed to go.  Numerous players have fallen in the draft for the same exact reason.  What we have now is yet another wasted 1st round disaster.        

Load of sh*t

Missed at most one game at Alabama.  

He never said I am the best corner in the NFL.  Typical NY media bullsh*t and you eat it up.  Revisionist history.  

Load of sh*t

Missed at most one game at Alabama.  

He never said I am the best corner in the NFL.  Typical NY media bullsh*t and you eat it up.  Revisionist history.  

I suggest you take an enema to relieve yourself of your load.  

"They" being everyone involved in the NFL universe, right? The Jets picked him, but he wasn't making it out of the first round, and every evaluator everywhere reinforced that.

It sounds like the kid at your job didn't like him because he was an arrogant jock. 

Idzik still had a salary cap mess to clean up at the time.  

this is a false hood. first off There is no cap hell when the cap goes up 10 mil a year. Teams like SKins and Cowboys who were penalized by the league still made moves because the cap went up big time after the new agreement was signed. It's probably going to go up again this year, and the year after (the new Directv contract is obscene). 

but even without that. the moves that were made after Tanny was fired were no brainers. Cutting Jason Smith for example. The Jets were not in a cap hell like everyone believes. The current team has something crazy like 21 mil in cap space and that number is low because of Sanchez and Holmes dead money. 

so to summarize there is no cap hell and there never was. Tanny got fired for making bad decisions (like drafting Sanchez, and believing in him) not for screwing the cap up. 

That probably describes 99.9% of the guys in the NFL. It's like saying the guy is juicing or using HGH. Milliner was fine in college, the only question mark to his game was supposedly a lack of elite speed,which went out the window when he ran 4.37, fastest corner at the combine. Milliner was not a reach or surprise pick and missed only one game in college. Richardson was the reach/surprise and that was a hit. .

Milliner isn't a reach he's a bust .. Alabama players are known for being superstars in college and then coming to the NFL and doing jack sh*t .. !!

Milliner isn't a reach he's a bust .. Alabama players are known for being superstars in college and then coming to the NFL and doing jack sh*t .. !!

Meh, I think he's done now. So does injury qualify said player as bust? If it is then I guess so. I don't think Milliner was gonna bust if he could have stayed healthy though. Oh well, irrelevant now anyways. 

"They" being everyone involved in the NFL universe, right? The Jets picked him, but he wasn't making it out of the first round, and every evaluator everywhere reinforced that.

It sounds like the kid at your job didn't like him because he was an arrogant jock. 

I thought of that as well but the Kid at my job was pretty direct when it came to his play as well. Its obvious watching him now that he really has all the tools but he continuously gets torched . We saw it all last year and it comes down to technique not ability. His technique stinks here and it probably stunk in college as well. Sometimes we give NFL scouts too much credit when in fact very few of them really succeed in this league. Some teams like the Steelers always draft solid talent then develop that talent other teams do the same Seattle may be one of them moving forward we will just have to see how that pans out with a larger body of work. The Jets fail so miserably in the draft the past 5+ years I put no faith in anything they do and if we do not gut this mess soon Im afraid it will continue but Im not sure how it could get any worse/

Totally fed up with this Joker of a GM.  He drafts players who were either injured in College (Milliner and McDougle) or those that just do not have the stats to warrant their draft position (all the WRs in this past draft).  Virtually none of his picks are playing, so the "building for the future" line of BS will not work.  As a Season Ticket PSL holder I want to hear what this plan is.  Prob won't because there is none.  Rex, while he calls time outs at the wrong times, is going into battle with inferior talent at WR and CB (yes we all know) and we stink in the Red Zone as a result.

Also, came up with my own theory on the Salary Cap.  Each team has 24 starters (11 on Off, 11 on Def and a Punter and PK).  With us $20MM under the cap, in essence, we are playing 20 starters vs. 24 each week... Last night that showed...   

Totally fed up with this Joker of a GM.  He drafts players who were either injured in College (Milliner and McDougle) or those that just do not have the stats to warrant their draft position (all the WRs in this past draft).  Virtually none of his picks are playing, so the "building for the future" line of BS will not work.  As a Season Ticket PSL holder I want to hear what this plan is.  Prob won't because there is none.  Rex, while he calls time outs at the wrong times, is going into battle with inferior talent at WR and CB (yes we all know) and we stink in the Red Zone as a result.

Also, came up with my own theory on the Salary Cap.  Each team has 24 starters (11 on Off, 11 on Def and a Punter and PK).  With us $20MM under the cap, in essence, we are playing 20 starters vs. 24 each week... Last night that showed...   

Better fan than me. 

Archived