Jets poor at selecting and developing talent

ebonix

=//..

Jets took Allen out of his comfort zone in August after cornerbacks Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle suffered serious injuries on the same day in practice. Perhaps Ryan was right that Allen was his best option for a starting cornerback at that moment, given the poor job general manager John Idzik did of stocking that position during the off-season.

But Allen hasn’t been up to the challenge.

What has made it worse is that Allen often switches back to safety in some packages. That’s why of those five recent scoring passes he has given up, two have been by wide receivers, two by tight ends and one by a running back. Against the Chiefs, he allowed a 34-yard completion to tight end Travis Kelce, and later a 12-yard score to Kelce. The 34-yarder was Kansas City’s longest pass play of the season.

Allen sometimes seems confused about his assignments, and while blame for that certainly should fall on him, his coaches aren’t putting him in the best position to succeed.

Not only has Idzik been shaky at selecting young talent, as his two drafts as GM have demonstrated, but he and the coaching staff don’t seem to be very good at developing that talent, either. Idzik’s decision to stage a sham competition at quarterback and anoint Geno Smith as the starter, despite the presence of Michael Vick, also has been a flop. It took the Jets two months to bench Smith, as Idzik waited until the season was not salvageable.

The Jets’ organization must do a better job of bringing along young players, and moving Allen back to safety would be a step in the right direction.

.......oops... I forgot to attribute the above---  its from J.P. Pelzman .

On the Jets beat: Younger players aren't developing (J.P. Pelzman)

The Record

Allen is a solid role player and probably their best value pick in 10 years. But this "oh they totally screwed him up for life making him play CB to help the team, oh the humanity" routine is bullsh*t. He's also just not that good.

agreed, and he's actually a guy we didn't reach a few rounds for. And took a shot on when dropping down the draft boards, should of done the same thing with Burfict.

He also seems like he would've had an easier conversion to LB than CB. He's a perfect #6 DB

Allen is a solid role player and probably their best value pick in 10 years. But this "oh they totally screwed him up for life making him play CB to help the team, oh the humanity" routine is bullsh*t. He's also just not that good.

I'll respectfully disagree. Their best value pick was Leon Washington for sure. That fourth round pick did more for this team than Allen's 6th round pick up did. Not that Allen is bad, but he is a high quality back up. Leon could have started for the Jets easily on top of the fact that he was a very good special teamer. 

I think it will help him in the long run at safety. He's gaining some solid experience covering.

I think the Defense is for the most part solid. I think they really fall short on the offensive side of the ball. The players they do have are not being put in the best place to succeed. The OC has a system that might have worked when he had the right kind of players for his system, but the players he has now are not those type of players. You need to play with what you have and change your offense to what best fits your players. It seems that is not happening.

For example (I am a huge Salas fan since I use to live in Hawaii and have followed him since his days there), when he is playing you have him running deep routes that require elite speed, he does not have elite speed so he is always covered. He does best in the slot in running short slants, screens,  to intermediate routes and running after the catch. When that happenes you see the results. I think Decker is kind of the same player but does better with the deeper routes so I don't have much of a beef with how he is being used. I give him credit with how they are trying to use Harvin, I don't think he is a deep threat route runner not because of speed but I don't think he tracks a ball like someone like DJAX. He is best used in the short passing and running game where he can utilize his running ability.

I don't think Antonio Allen, a college jack linebacker.safety, playing cornerback, is proof that they can't evaluate or develop. He's not a corner. He wasn't a corner in the SEC he's not going to be a corner in the NFL. They play him there out of desperation. There are many examples of how they can't pick players, but Antonio ALlen isn't one of them. 

Somewhat on this topic, anyone else teed a bit Josh Mauga, who is a starting MLB on the Cheifs virtual best D in Football, who is playing well and vritually gave Vick a concussion on a hit, is another example of poor player evaluation by the Jets. He got hurt , but we should have been grooming him to take over for Harris who is so highly paid and avergae at best. Just saying. Another example of Jets developing talent, mis-evaluating it, and then it going to another team and doing well.

=//..

Jets took Allen out of his comfort zone in August after cornerbacks Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle suffered serious injuries on the same day in practice. Perhaps Ryan was right that Allen was his best option for a starting cornerback at that moment, given the poor job general manager John Idzik did of stocking that position during the off-season.

What has made it worse is that Allen often switches back to safety in some packages. That’s why of those five recent scoring passes he has given up, two have been by wide receivers, two by tight ends and one by a running back. Against the Chiefs, he allowed a 34-yard completion to tight end Travis Kelce, and later a 12-yard score to Kelce. The 34-yarder was Kansas City’s longest pass play of the season.

Allen sometimes seems confused about his assignments, and while blame for that certainly should fall on him, his coaches aren’t putting him in the best position to succeed.

Not only has Idzik been shaky at selecting young talent, as his two drafts as GM have demonstrated, but he and the coaching staff don’t seem to be very good at developing that talent, either. Idzik’s decision to stage a sham competition at quarterback and anoint Geno Smith as the starter, despite the presence of Michael Vick, also has been a flop. It took the Jets two months to bench Smith, as Idzik waited until the season was not salvageable.

The Jets’ organization must do a better job of bringing along young players, and moving Allen back to safety would be a step in the right direction.

The Record

Love the title of this one LMAO!

Other options:

"Obama bad at getting democrats re-elected"

"Lindsey Lohan bad at turning down heroine"

"Ike Turner bad at not smacking broads"

=)

=//..

The Record

You so cray!

=//..

The Record

your kidding right? Allen was put into the corner position and taken out of his comfort zone as a last resort after we lost our two best corners on the same day. Allen has not been perfect at the position however he is still learning it and not for nothing but he is currently the best "corner" on the team who isn't hurt. to say that Allen wasn't up for the challenge when he has been the best overall player in our secondary this season while playing in a position that he is not used to playing is just a joke. Allen for what he is has shined for us and deserves more credit and respect than this. say what you will about rex, idzik, our qb situation ill save that argument for another thread but really keep AA out of it because he has been nothing but great for us this year considering the position he was put into.

Archived