Chris Johnson: Jets Should Have Benched Smith Earlier

flgreen

It was in the JETS best interest to find out if Geno was the guy. At 34 years Mike Vick was never going to be the long term solution.

That's why Geno was given all that opportunity. And he did seem to have some decent games. Infact his best game of the season was right before the game he was benched. This was going to be Geno's season to start unless he absolutely sheet the bed which he did in the game against Buffalo and was correctly benched.

He had a horrible outing against the Chargers too and was benched in the second half. But Vick for whatever reason did not perform as well in that game in the 2nd half. Vick  was put in to provide a spark but failed to do so.

So end of the day I know its a season lost but not sure if the JETS could have done anything different. The only thing that the JETS get out of this season is knowing they have to draft a QB very early next season.

It was in the JETS best interest to find out if Geno was the guy. At 34 years Mike Vick was never going to be the long term solution.

That's why Geno was given all that opportunity. And he did seem to have some decent games. Infact his best game of the season was right before the game he was benched. This was going to be Geno's season to start unless he absolutely sheet the bed which he did in the game against Buffalo and was correctly benched.

He had a horrible outing against the Chargers too and was benched in the second half. But Vick for whatever reason did not perform as well in that game in the 2nd half. Vick  was put in to provide a spark but failed to do so.

So end of the day I know its a season lost but not sure if the JETS could have done anything different. The only thing that the JETS get out of this season is knowing they have to draft a QB very early next season.

Could the Jets have possibly signed or drafted a better QB to their roster? Too much? It's cool. 

Could the Jets have possibly signed or drafted a better QB to their roster? Too much? It's cool. 

Of Geno's class of QB's who is the stand out who could have helped this team. Even last year who was the standout who could have stepped on this team and helped immediately.

Its not the Idzik missed on a Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck prospect.

I blame Stephen Hill.  If Stephen Hill was a true WR2, we would have had a comfortable number of weapons.  We would have not felt the pressure to take Amaro and just rolled with Cumberland at TE.  We then would have been freed up to draft Garoppolo.

F*ck you Stephen Hill.

Of Geno's class of QB's who is the stand out who could have helped this team. Even last year who was the standout who could have stepped on this team and helped immediately.

Its not the Idzik missed on a Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck prospect.

There's really no way of knowing about other QB prospects from last year and this years' draft, or possible veteran QBs who were out there during that time. All we know is Geno sucks for this team. So we KNOW he was the wrong decision. As for the others only God knows and he's not talking this time. You're right, maybe there was nobody else out there. Or Maybe Garoppolo or Mettenberger or Aaron Murray was the pick...

Do I expect you or me or any other fan to know? No. But do I expect the General Manager of the team and his scouts to know a little more than we do and to get it right? I sorta do. That's sorta how sports works fair or not, right? Belichick looks like a dope for 5 years in Cleveland before he becomes the next cheating Lombardi, right? Fair or not, they get paid handsomely to be successful by making the right decisions (even if it's only a matter of pure luck) and if they're not time for someone new.  

There's really no way of knowing about other QB prospects from last year and this years' draft, or possible veteran QBs who were out there during that time.

Anyone we miss ?  You know if a prospect didn't pan out by season 2 the fan base would want to run him out of town like they are hell bent on doing with Geno.

We did not miss on anyone, I am just glad that we did not pull up a Bill's move of drafting EJ Manuel in the first round when none of the QB's in that draft deserved a 1st round grade.

Anyone we miss ?  You know if a prospect didn't pan out by season 2 the fan base would want to run him out of town like they are hell bent on doing with Geno.

We did not miss on anyone, I am just glad that we did not pull up a Bill's move of drafting EJ Manuel in the first round when none of the QB's in that draft deserved a 1st round grade.

I'm just pissed the Jets still don't have a ******* QB to even be optimistic about. I blame the organization. And YOU.

imagine that your qb is playing at league worst and historically terrible numbers and he should've been benched earlier--why does everyone know this except the guys actually making the decisions?

literally any message board poster can do a better job than Idzik. Pick one. Any would be better. 

the Jets shouldn't have benched Geno earlier, they should have never played him. 

literally any message board poster can do a better job than Idzik. Pick one. Any would be better. 

the Jets shouldn't have benched Geno earlier, they should have never played him.

Its even worse if its true he was dictating to rex that geno start, which all evidence supports

Archived