Charley Casserly…Rex’s Savior?

JetNation

The writer of this article seems to think that Casserly is a long term solution for the jets. Did I mis-read that they are just using him as advisor/consultant.

Casserly is not managing things here long term. He is advising on change management, This club is not going to be a vision of Charlie Casserly. 

Casserly is only there to recommend what the club maybe should do. Woody then decides what he actually wants to do. And Casserly is gone.

The reader of this article seems to be seeing what he wants and not what is written.  Nothing in the article implies Casserly will be employed long-term. Terms used in the article "advisory capacity, leaned on for advice, brought in to help shape the franchise".  All of those things apply if we are to believe what the ESPN's of the world are reporting.  I re-read it several times and nowhere do I see it mentioned that Casserly will be employed for the long term.  Plenty of references to his credibility based on background (which is what you look for an an advisor/consultant) and several mentions of him being here to advise Woody.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering....

Could anyone foresee a double demotion?  Both Rex and John kept on, but in lesser roles?  I keep telling myself that would never happen (Rex is too proud to accept that, etc.), but a wise man once said never say never.  Rex as DC and John as a cap guy or an ass't GM?  Don't tell me I'm crazy.

Just wondering....

Could anyone foresee a double demotion?  Both Rex and John kept on, but in lesser roles?  I keep telling myself that would never happen (Rex is too proud to accept that, etc.), but a wise man once said never say never.  Rex as DC and John as a cap guy or an ass't GM?  Don't tell me I'm crazy.

Take it for what it's worth, but Francessa said yesterday that Rex is going to go to TV if no HC gig is offered.  He feels like he's done enough as a DC and doesn't want to move backward.

If Rex comes back look for Shane Ray as first draft choice. He will fire Mornhinweg and hire Sparano back. They will immidiately sign Tim Tebow - realizing how they under utilized him the first time around. Jets will finish 2-14 but beat the Giants, which allows Woody Johnson 'see progress' and sign him to a four year deal.

Take it for what it's worth, but Francessa said yesterday that Rex is going to go to TV if no HC gig is offered.  He feels like he's done enough as a DC and doesn't want to move backward.

Yeah - I just don't see Rex happy off the field. Plus he'll say something on TV and get fired pretty quick.

The reader of this article seems to be seeing what he wants and not what is written.  Nothing in the article implies Casserly will be employed long-term. Terms used in the article "advisory capacity, leaned on for advice, brought in to help shape the franchise".  All of those things apply if we are to believe what the ESPN's of the world are reporting.  I re-read it several times and nowhere do I see it mentioned that Casserly will be employed for the long term.  Plenty of references to his credibility based on background (which is what you look for an an advisor/consultant) and several mentions of him being here to advise Woody.

Sorry, no reason to get so uppity. I too this phrase: "it now looks like the man being brought in to help shape the franchise for years to come" could be inferred as Caserly is here long term. If that was not your intent, I was not clear.

Curious, where is the source That "Woody is looking for a reason to retain rex" come from?

Just wondering....

You are not only crazy but stupid. How's that?

There should be zero chance that Rex is retained, and it certainly won't be by means of demotion to DC.  If you think it's been a circus around here before, I can't imagine how bad it would be if the former HC was on the staff with the incoming HC.  

Sorry, no reason to get so uppity. I too this phrase: "it now looks like the man being brought in to help shape the franchise for years to come" could be inferred as Caserly is here long term. If that was not your intent, I was not clear.

Curious, where is the source That "Woody is looking for a resin to retain rex" come from?

Gotcha....I guess I view it as Casserly having the chance to impact a decision that will shape the franchise long after he is gone.  Also, keeping politics out of this but I heard a great comparison to this on WFAN a few minutes ago.  Names and political parties left out of it, not long ago, a presidential candidate used the equivalent of a "consultant" to help him find a running-mate.  After a few months, that person came back and said, "I'm the best man for the job" and that's who he went with.

As far as the source, it would be silly of me to say because I didn't ask him if I could put his name on it.  Easy enough to say he has a level of access to players/coaches/FO personnel that we do not.  In all honesty, it's nice to quote somebody with stuff like that, but I think most people realize Woody likes Rex a lot.  If he didn't, he probably would have allowed Idzik to fire him when he was brought in. 

Think about it, ever since training camp, Woody has seen or heard nothing but how bad the off-season was and what  a terrible job Idzik did in giving Rex talent to work with.  Before the season was lost, the conspiracy theories about how Idzik set Rex up to fail were already in full swing.  I don't think Rex stays, but I do think Woody likes him, but realizes Idzik was a huge mistake as well.

Rex did not get the weapons he needed on D and they did not have a QB...

... Gotta admit, I'm torn.

This is why I've been so defensive of Rex.  I get that people want him gone, I 100% completely understand.  However, too many people pretending he had a punchers chance going in to this.  I have yet to hear a single credible analyst say that Rex should have made a playoff run with this team.  Former players who played for Rex, former players who didn't play for Rex, former coaches, local media, national media....every single comment has been about how there is just no talent to work with.  How some people ignore that I'll never understand...but to each his own.  I just can't wait for this season to end and to find out who will be running things when next season rolls around.

Gotcha....I guess I view it as Casserly having the chance to impact a decision that will shape the franchise long after he is gone.  Also, keeping politics out of this but I heard a great comparison to this on WFAN a few minutes ago.  Names and political parties left out of it, not long ago, a presidential candidate used the equivalent of a "consultant" to help him find a running-mate.  After a few months, that person came back and said, "I'm the best man for the job" and that's who he went with.

As far as the source, it would be silly of me to say because I didn't ask him if I could put his name on it.  Easy enough to say he has a level of access to players/coaches/FO personnel that we do not.  In all honesty, it's nice to quote somebody with stuff like that, but I think most people realize Woody likes Rex a lot.  If he didn't, he probably would have allowed Idzik to fire him when he was brought in. 

Think about it, ever since training camp, Woody has seen or heard nothing but how bad the off-season was and what  a terrible job Idzik did in giving Rex talent to work with.  Before the season was lost, the conspiracy theories about how Idzik set Rex up to fail were already in full swing.  I don't think Rex stays, but I do think Woody likes him, but realizes Idzik was a huge mistake as well.

If this person knew that you were writing an article, and he did not say "this is off the record", you are free to put his name to it.

i don't know your relationship with this person, and if you are trying to protect their anonymity, but otherwise you are free to name. ;)

Holy sh*t we have so many misled fans... good head coaches are as much the architect of their teams as the GM. Period.

How could you (or anyone) possibly know that without being in the war room?  I have no doubt that every organization has different power structures and ways of going about putting a team together.  I'm not saying Rex didn't put the team together, but I'm saying I don't know if Rex put the team together.  Idzik himself said during his disastrous presser that it's his job to put the team together and the product on the field is his responsibility.

This is why I've been so defensive of Rex.  I get that people want him gone, I 100% completely understand.  However, too many people pretending he had a punchers chance going in to this.  I have yet to hear a single credible analyst say that Rex should have made a playoff run with this team.  Former players who played for Rex, former players who didn't play for Rex, former coaches, local media, national media....every single comment has been about how there is just no talent to work with.  How some people ignore that I'll never understand...but to each his own.  I just can't wait for this season to end and to find out who will be running things when next season rolls around.

How ould you analyze Rex's in game strategy and game management? Regardless of personnel?

Holy sh*t we have so many misled fans... good head coaches are as much the architect of their teams as the GM. Period.

Architects of their teams?  Rex has been on record as always wanting corners and has gone after everybody and anybody available.  Idzik tried to talk to Vontae Davis, low-balled DRC and I don't think he even tried to have anyone else in except Captain Munnerlyn.  If you think Rex was the architect of that I don't know what goes on in your head.  

How could you (or anyone) possibly know that without being in the war room?  I have no doubt that every organization has different power structures and ways of going about putting a team together.  I'm not saying Rex didn't put the team together, but I'm saying I don't know if Rex put the team together.  Idzik himself said during his disastrous presser that it's his job to put the team together and the product on the field is his responsibility.

Well, if you really want to go by what people say in pressers, and that we are to believe them, Rex has said that the "Jets have a lot of talent"

Can't believe everything you hear.

If this person knew that you were writing an article, and he did not say "this is off the record", you are free to put his name to it.

i don't know your relationship with this person, and if you are trying to protect their anonymity, but otherwise you are free to name. ;)

I would, but we don't have enough people with that access that I can afford to piss anyone off.  If we can get an occasional nugget of info that we can share, I'd prefer to do that.

Like I said though, I think it's obvious that Woody loves Rex.  Let's face it, Woody (and Hess for that matter) had a lot of lean years here.  Rex got t his team closer to glory than any other coach in the past 15+ years and he did it twice.  Put quite simply, no coach in Woody's tenure has had as much success as Rex, and I think Woody appreciates that.

Everyone certainly entitled to their opinion and im not saying mine is any more or less educated than anyone else's here but good Lord...after watching what has gone down since the Holmes meltdown in Miami to this day, I find it hard to believe there is one fan who wants rex still coaching his team let alone the droves of them.

Good coaches are as much the architect of their team as the the GM. Period.

Architects of their teams?  Rex has been on record as always wanting corners and has gone after everybody and anybody available.  Idzik tried to talk to Vontae Davis, low-balled DRC and I don't think he even tried to have anyone else in except Captain Munnerlyn.  If you think Rex was the architect of that I don't know what goes on in your head.  

Rex has been with us for 6 first rounds, helping guide/influence the makeup of the team. He got 2 corners, then a FS, DL, DL, DL and QB. He has absolutely had an impact on the architecture of this team,  the example of us not being able to get Vontae or DRC is both ridiculous and an anomaly, when you consider the majority of other transactions and additions. Rex has gotten what he's wanted more often than not, and this team is worse than the Raiders.

WORSE THAN THE RAIDERS, DOM. 

How ould you analyze Rex's in game strategy and game management? Regardless of personnel?

Lacking on offense.  He needed to realize that he's the head coach.  Too many pressers where I had to hear him say "that's not what we're built for" and "that's not our offense"...that drives me crazy.  Rex, you're the boss..you have a head set...get on it and tell the OC that you don't want Mark Sanchez throwing the ball 50 times.  He's too hands-off with the offense and for that reason I  hoped he would grow and learn but that didn't happen.  I get that he wants to empower his staff to have full control over whatever their job is, but he should have stepped in several times and didn't. 

On defense, I can't complain.  When he's had the players, he's gotten the results.  Armed with the worst QB play in the NFL, and street FA corners, he's been within a TD or less from beating some of the best teams in the NFL.  The anti-Rex crowd wanted so badly for this team to quit on  him but they haven't.  He just faced a HOF HC and QB in a game they had to have for better playoff seeding, and gave them all they could handle with CB's that 99.9% of NFL fans have never heard of.  An undrafted rookie FA on one side, and an undrafted veteran CB on the other side, with a rookie safety who can't cover.  Again, with arguably the least talented CB talent in the NFL, this team had a legit shot to beat Tom Brady twice, Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler (before he snapped), Matthew Stafford, and Aaron Rodgers.  I don't know how many HC's could keep their team competitive under those circumstances.

Do I wish he would have been less stubborn and played less man to man early on?  Yes I do, but his willingness to do it EVENTUALLY, is going to work well in his favor.  Heard an analyst a couple weeks ago saying that this season has humbled Rex and that's going to help his job prospects.  Some owners that may have been scared off by his bluster are realizing he may have learned a lesson there.  Time will tell.

Everyone certainly entitled to their opinion and im not saying mine is any more or less educated than anyone else's here but good Lord...after watching what has gone down since the Holmes meltdown in Miami to this day, I find it hard to believe there is one fan who wants rex still coaching his team let alone the droves of them.

Our fan base is every bit the stereotype that exists for it.

Ditto. I've always said I won't believe Rex is gone until it actually happens. I could legitimately see this moron going so far as to make Rex GM/HC.

JiF, slats, and the rest of the Rex Ryan Cum-Guzzlers Brigade™ would be beside themselves with glee.

I guzzle cum because it's a mod requirement, and JiF only does it because Crusher tastes so good, but I'd only be happy about Rex staying on because it would make you so unhappy.

I also hope Jameis Winston is a perennial All-Pro.

The anti-Rex crowd wanted so badly for this team to quit on  him but they haven't. 

They have in the past. 

This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. I'm so tired of this. I'm not an anti-Rex guy, I'm a Jet fan. I'm pro-winning, or anti-losing, so to speak.

What I really am, is so ******* exhausted with watching half of this fanbase clamor for change and improvement and then the first thing out of their ******* mouths is "keep Rex".

I guzzle cum because it's a mod requirement, and JiF only does it because Crusher tastes so good, but I'd only be happy about Rex staying on because it would make you so unhappy.

LOL why did you delete the second line of my post? I thought it was especially witty...

Ibanbad posters do not insult people here -  moderators and members-unless you want to be shown out the door yourself.

Well, if you really want to go by what people say in pressers, and that we are to believe them, Rex has said that the "Jets have a lot of talent"

Can't believe everything you hear.

SD, you've been watching long enough to see through the BS just as well as I have.  Head coaches never come out and say "my players aren't talented" and Rex is to the extreme of that.  Eternal optimist who speaks too highly of his players.  Behind closed doors, do you really think he's saying "Hey, I have the CB's and QB I need, these guys are great".  It's just not happening.  He knows they stink but he's not going to publicly trash the guys on his roster.

Idzik on the other hand, is evaluating what he himself is responsible for, and as the GM, he gets the players.  Even if Rex has some influence, or a ton of influence, Idzik still makes the pick.  Now, if we want to go all conspiracy theory and say that Rex is making the picks then that's on the owner.  Rex does not have the GM title and should not be assembling the roster.  This is why I've said for weeks now, bring in a true football person who is going to build the roster and let them decide on Rex.  I don't want Woody  making football decisions and I don't want Idzik or anyone else who is unqualified to be making football decisions. 

Good coaches are as much the architect of their team as the the GM. Period.

Rex has been with us for 6 first rounds, helping guide/influence the makeup of the team. He got 2 corners, then a FS, DL, DL, DL and QB. He has absolutely had an impact on the architecture of this team,  the example of us not being able to get Vontae or DRC is both ridiculous and an anomaly, when you consider the majority of other transactions and additions. Rex has gotten what he's wanted more often than not, and this team is worse than the Raiders.

WORSE THAN THE RAIDERS, DOM. 

Vontae Davis was an anomaly?  What about the other 15 top CBs that changed teams and didn't even come in?  I appreciate that he tried to target somebody good, but could he have had a plan B?  Quality personnel men usually do.

Archived