Charley Casserly…Rex’s Savior?

JetNation

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casserly is an advisor and consultant. That means he looks at the org, does interviews and presents Woody a document of options and opinions, and Woody does what he wants then. Casserly is paid and goes away.

I guess it is possible that Woody could retain him in some role after the fact, but that does not seem likely.

I don't know what Casserly's role will be. The consultant role could easily change on Black Monday, to GM.

Not saying that is going to happen, but it's certainly possible.

It might be, but man what a hell of a coincidence.  Woody wants an excuse to keep him and he goes out and hires a guy who said Rex should have been coach of the year last season and asks him to advise him on what to do?  As I've said, it's time for Rex to go, but damn did that Casserly quote catch my eye.

Charlie Casserly LOVES Rex Ryan.  I've seen him gush about him in numerous interviews when discussing the Jets.  I've heard him basically say, the only strength the Jets have in the entire organization is Rex Ryan.  He views his as one of the better Head Coaches in the entire league.

That said, I dont see a scenario where he's back.  I think this consulting gig is all about how to fire them all and start clean with a structured plan to rebuild the entire FO.

But if the rumors are true and Woody is trying to find reasons to keep Rex, well then...this could get interesting.

You would hope that if the Jets are changing GM's, that they would have that move done by mid January, so they can get on to the business of building a football team.

Holding on to Casserly, in the form of GM, when he won't be the long term solution would be the truest cluster ****.

Again not saying this will happen, but why wouldn't Casserly be a long term solution. He's 66 not 86. He could around a long time.

If that's what happens

It's time for Rex to go and him leaving should've been respectful with an undertone

of "thanks for the memories".  But with all of these Rex apologists defending him

and excusing him from blame for all of the team issues (that he never corrected) his

goodbye is going to get messy.  For those apologists the question is this, how do

you explain the second BUF game this year?  He had EVERY advantage going

into that game and the team was TOTALLY unprepared 

It's time for Rex to go and him leaving should've been respectful with an undertone

of "thanks for the memories".  But with all of these Rex apologists defending him

and excusing him from blame for all of the team issues (that he never corrected) his

goodbye is going to get messy.  For those apologists the question is this, how do

you explain the second BUF game this year?  He had EVERY advantage going

into that game and the team was TOTALLY unprepared 

Dave and Busters closed early?

Why not bring him in as GM then? You fire Idzik, or demote him. You name Casserly GM.

Why would they do a charade one week later?

Woody doesn't want to embarrass Idzik any further with a during season hire?

IDK any of it, just think this is very interesting, and there are several scenario's that could unravel out of it. As JiF said I have also seen Casserly raving about Rex on several occasions during the season. I'm pretty sure he will recommend keeping Rex. if that's why he's here

Then you don't bring Casserly in until next week. You fire Idzik, announce Casserly. What benefit does it have Casserly in for this one week , before you announce? So Rex does not steal anything?

Why would they worry about Rex stealing anything? If Casserly is permanent Rex will be here.

Again this is all speculation, unless you have the inside dope

That and the misunderstanding of how a consultant is used. Yikes.

Meh.. the type of consulting you are talking about is when you hire someone like McKinsey to do an audit and get random consultants. Very often individual, hand picked consultants end up with a FT position.

Think you are a little misguided

Meh.. the type of consulting you are talking about is when you hire someone like McKinsey to do an audit and get random consultants. Very often individual, hand picked consultants end up with a FT position.

Think you are a little misguided

We use consultants all the time. They evaluate what you are doing, recommend changes, and often act as the broker to enact change.

Yes, sometimes they are retained. Most often not.

But some here are suggesting that Casserly will be named GM next week-pure fantasy

I do believe Woody is that stupid and I'm terrified.

I am too man. Keeping Rex is the one thing I COULD NOT STAND FOR. I would immediately pack up ALL my Jets gear and call it quits after 46 years of futility. I want to see an upside NOT more of the same. Why Rex doesn't get blamed for the circus atmosphere as well as some questionable OC and QB coach hirings is wayyy beyond me. Sparano, Lee, Morninweg - none of these guys are on the same wavelength as Rex and there is always an undercurrent of incompetence on this club and Rex is at the center of it all.

I do believe Woody is that stupid and I'm terrified.

Woody's crazy like a fox. He's going full 76ers. Going to draft Gurley and stash him on IR to keep the tank alive a-la Embiid. Rex is the perfect guy to leave on the sinking ship.

This is the part that has you guys scared:

“I would say, having been in an organization, it’s hard to know from the outside-in who’s making the final decision on things,” he said. “For example, they took two corners in the first round. One is hurt [Dee Milliner], and the other one, [Kyle] Wilson, hasn’t panned out. So how much of that was the coaching staff? How much of that was the scouting staff? Who made the final decision? Those are the things you’re going to have to figure out — and that’s the owner’s job to figure that out.”

Scary.  Who was at fault? 

Unless the Jets have hired Casserly in the capacity of "consultant" as a way of retaining him as a GM candidate until all of the other firings happen and they can assess which direction they want to go in for the coach.

I have no problem with Casserly as GM per se. But if it is done to keep Rex Ryan around then no. Rex hires OC's who are either incompetent (Sparano) or who do not share his 'vision' of how to operate the offense (Mornhinweg / Schottenheimer) and he keeps a QB coach (David Lee) around who hasn't taught Geno Smith the FIRST THING about QB play. Rex is at the center of all the incompetence and circus atmosphere on the Jets and MUST be relieved of his duties immediately after the Miami game.

I have no problem with Casserly as GM per se. But if it is done to keep Rex Ryan around then no. Rex hires OC's who are either incompetent (Sparano) or who do not share his 'vision' of how to operate the offense (Mornhinweg / Schottenheimer) and he keeps a QB coach (David Lee) around who hasn't taught Geno Smith the FIRST THING about QB play. Rex is at the center of all the incompetence and circus atmosphere on the Jets and MUST be relieved of his duties immediately after the Miami game.

I'm literally the last guy that needs this stuff pointed out to him. 

Rex hired Sparano, Schottenheimer & Morninweg? Are you sure? I thought GM's hired co-ords.

im a big fan of Rex but even I can't get behind a

year 6 rescue. 

Rex has already BEEN here for six years. If he was saved it would make seven, tying him for longest tenure with another joke of a HC  Joe Walton, No man, I have seen enough of what Rex brings and he just isn't good enough. He is good enough to lose close games with the Pats and then talk about moral victories as if THAT should be enough. It isn't.

Archived