What it Means To Be A Jets Fan

JetNation

NFL: New York Jets at Jacksonville Jaguars

What it Means to be a Jets Fan

Sports serve a purpose within the framework of society. Having woven their way into the culture, sports can often be used as a bridge between two things or aspects of life that may not otherwise come together. They can bring people of different backgrounds and cultures to the same field rooting for their favorite teams. That being said, we all see sports serving most commonly as an escape from the harshness and reality of life. No matter what sport you’re watching, it offers a place where you can go and just get lost.

The relationship a fan has with their particular team is unique. Taking the NFL as an example, it is true that watching some of the world’s most gifted athletes do battle on the gridiron is in every way allowing us to lose ourselves in something other than our day-to-day grind. However, for some fans, what it means to support your team runs much deeper than just a break from a hard day’s work. It means more than being someone who loves a team when they’re winning, but doesn’t stick around through the hard times. No one understands hard times and what it means to support your team more than Jets Nation.

Since 1968 the New York Jets organization has appeared in the postseason 13 times, the AFC championship game on four occasions, most recently against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2010. Don’t forget about Super Bowl III, where they defeated the Baltimore Colts. Many long-time Jets fans have fond memories of the glory days with legendary quarterback Joe Namath at the helm of the offense. Well, those days are gone and the fans that have stuck with the Jets this season understand all too well the pain of supporting a team that has no chance of a playoff berth, posting a record of 3-11 on the season.

This year the Jets have been exceptionally, for lack of a better word, terrible. Ranking 29th in the league in points scored per game with 16.4 and 32nd in pass yards at 170.4, Jets fans have felt a considerable amount more disappointment than excitement. In addition to playing the guessing game as to who will be taking over at starting quarterback week after week.

However, true fans have stuck around, continuing to support their team through this dark hour. These New York fans have shown that claiming the Jets as your own may not be the great escape most sports enthusiasts search for, but it’s about more. It’s about love, dedication and hope for a brighter day soon to come.  Improvement may come game by game, or season by season, either way, Jets fans will be there.

See if Jet Nation and their team can end this year on a high note by defeating the 6-point favored Miami Dolphins this Sunday. (Odds taken from SportsBetting.ag)

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
J9khq1Xz97c

View the full article

I know it's nostalgia, seen through a haze of time and warm feelings, but I long for a day we have an Offense that makes me feel like I felt watching O'Brian, McNeil, Toon, Walker, Shuler playing.

We've been so uncompetative on offense, so backwards, for so long.......I feel like we've almost been playing a different sport than the Packers, Patriots, et. al. of the NFL.

Like we're playing football in 1952, not 2014.

I have been a Jets fan since 1968 and I can tell you, I have seen WAYYYYYY more bad times than good. Every time they took a step forward they took two or three backward. Leon Hess was a terrible owner who wouldn't allow his GM's or personnel directors to draft anything but what he considered 'good citizen's' hense passing on Dan Marino and Warren Sapp and many others who could have brought the hardware to NY. Woody needs to make this decision a good one. I am 58 and I want results now.

I have been a Jets fan since 1968 and I can tell you, I have seen WAYYYYYY more bad times than good. Every time they took a step forward they took two or three backward. Leon Hess was a terrible owner who wouldn't allow his GM's or personnel directors to draft anything but what he considered 'good citizen's' hense passing on Dan Marino and Warren Sapp and many others who could have brought the hardware to NY. Woody needs to make this decision a good one. I am 58 and I want results now.

Thanks for this info. I have often wondered why the Jets passed on Marino and took O'Brien. Thought it was just the usual Jets bad judgment, as happens in so many drafts. Now I see there was something else at work, at least in this particular case.

I know it's nostalgia, seen through a haze of time and warm feelings, but I long for a day we have an Offense that makes me feel like I felt watching O'Brian, McNeil, Toon, Walker, Shuler playing.

We've been so uncompetative on offense, so backwards, for so long.......I feel like we've almost been playing a different sport than the Packers, Patriots, et. al. of the NFL.

Actually the 1998 team scored more ppg.. I was never a Kenny fan but he did have a good arm although he moved in the pocket like he was stuck in cement..

I've been a fan since the 1960 Titans and that's true many more bad years then good..

Watched SB 3.  Was a huge Joe Willie fan, to the consternation of my mother.  Jets have been nothing but an occasional tease since.  The most painful was the choke job in the AFC Championship in Denver.with Parcells.  The second worst was the AFC Championship in Pittsburgh with Rex.  The 3rd was the disaster in the mud of Miami with Joe Walton.  What an amazing record of futility and incompetence.   I am in the same boat as Ex-rex. 

Watched SB 3.  Was a huge Joe Willie fan, to the consternation of my mother.  Jets have been nothing but an occasional tease since.  The most painful was the choke job in the AFC Championship in Denver.with Parcells.  The second worst was the AFC Championship in Pittsburgh with Rex.  The 3rd was the disaster in the mud of Miami with Joe Walton.  What an amazing record of futility and incompetence.   I am in the same boat as Ex-rex. 

I would rate the Miami game as the worst case. If Shula hadn't left the tarp off during the previous night's monsoon, I do believe the Jets would have won that one. The other 3 games I felt lucky the Jets were even in them.

Great point, couldn't agree more! People forgot / or are too young to recall how good that offense was. Lethal at times. I remember being pi$$ed at the fact that we picked Ken OB, but as it turned out, he was a darned good QB. Would love to have a Ken O'brien right now.

Great point, couldn't agree more! People forgot / or are too young to recall how good that offense was. Lethal at times. I remember being pi$$ed at the fact that we picked Ken OB, but as it turned out, he was a darned good QB. Would love to have a Ken O'brien right now.

I would rather have a healthy Chad before the injuries.. Kenny had 2 good years 1985 and 86 he may be the only starting Jet QB that never won a playoff game till Geno that was drafted by the Jets.. Also never scored a rushing TD.

Savage69, on 27 Dec 2014 - 7:31 PM, said:

I would rather have a healthy Chad before the injuries.. Kenny had 2 good years 1985 and 86 he may be the only starting Jet QB that never won a playoff game till Geno that was drafted by the Jets.. Also never scored a rushing TD.

Another great point, you might be right about that. I myself had Chad going to Canton eventually, but for those damned injuries. He had all of the brain tools needed to win games, just a poor arm. Still in all, after the past 5-10 years of horrific QB play, wouldn't Obrien look a lot better than what we have endured?

Being a Jets fan means you have no championship expectations for this team. Also it means that your used to watching sh*tty football. I am used to this team losing that it doesn't upset me anymore. College Football is so much better to watch then watching the Jets lose. Rutgers Football is so much better to watch because that team tries and has the will to win as a program something the Jets don't have. I watch Rutgers football games with more excitement because they win. The Jets on the other hand have me disliking pro football even more. College Football > NFL any day all day. College Football has a better playoff system then what the NFL has. That's the truth!

Being a Jets fan means you have no championship expectations for this team. Also it means that your used to watching sh*tty football. I am used to this team losing that it doesn't upset me anymore. College Football is so much better to watch then watching the Jets lose. Rutgers Football is so much better to watch because that team tries and has the will to win as a program something the Jets don't have. I watch Rutgers football games with more excitement because they win. The Jets on the other hand have me disliking pro football even more. College Football > NFL any day all day. College Football has a better playoff system then what the NFL has. That's the truth!

Sounds more like you are describing the horror of having to endure watching Crappy Geno and the Jets football

Being a Jets fan is almost like being a glutton for punishment.  The good times I can pretty much count on one hand, while on the other hand there has been so many times when things looked like they could go in a good direction only for the team to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory each time. 

Every Sunday is Groundhog Day as a Jet fan. Wake up hopeful that _____ will improve today and break out, that coach _____ won't take a disaster TO or the offense turnover the ball during their best drive of the day. By evening your frustrated as your team failed to fire on all cylinders. We lost a close game. Bad bounce, bad call, stupid mistake... Better luck next week!

I've been a Jet fan since 68, I'm 54 yrs old.

If you want to judge a head coach & team you look for statement games. Rex has one statement game in 6 years, the 2010 playoff in New England.

Other than that I'd give him his 1st game ever vs Houston. His blitzes shocked the Texans & cement shoed Schaub.

But find me ONE GAME, ONE GAME, over the last 4 years where you said, "Wow, we played GREAT!"

Find me a game like the Jaguars had this year when down 21-0 came back to beat the Giants.

We beat a raw rookie in Carr, whoopie, we beat the Steelers when they dropped 8 balls (the Steelers beat themselves), we beat the Titans in one of the worst examples Pro Football I can remember (painful to watch).

Each & every game we play, one or two or all three phases of the team implode.

Special teams have been horrible, 3rd down defense atrocious, 3rd & 5-9 ridiculously bad.

Archived