John Fox new Bears coach

faba

Chicago Bears hire John Fox as coach

ANDREW SELIGMAN, ASSOCIATED PRESS 3:56 p.m. EST January 16, 2015

The Chicago Bears have reached an agreement with former Broncos coach John Fox to become the team’s head coach.

(Photo: AP)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

LAKE FOREST, Illinois – The Chicago Bears have hired John Fox as their new coach.

The Bears announced the move on Friday, just four days after Fox and the Denver Broncos parted ways.

Fox was widely seen as a strong candidate to replace the fired Marc Trestman once he left the Broncos on Monday, given his record and his ties to consultant Ernie Accorsi and new general manager Ryan Pace.

Fox was the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants from 1997 to 2001 when Accorsi was the GM. Saints coach Sean Payton was the offensive coordinator for part of that time. Pace was hired out of New Orleans’ front office.

Fox won the AFC West all four seasons in Denver and reached the Super Bowl last year.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read or Share this story: http://on.app.com/1IRtK5R

I'm very content with the Bowles hire, but I admit I still feel that the Jets project something that causes personnel to stay away from here. We have TONS of cap space, all our picks within the top ten of each round, and a solid defensive unit that was notably ranked despite being lead by a dolt.

Fox & Kubiak turned down the Jets requests (Jets deny asking Fox, but I don't believe them) and now they swoop in a heartbeat for the Bears & Broncos vacancies, respectively.

Is it the media, is it REALLY Woody? I don't get the hate ?

I'm very content with the Bowles hire, but I admit I still feel that the Jets project something that causes personnel to stay away from here. We have TONS of cap space, all our picks within the top ten of each round, and a solid defensive unit that was notably ranked despite being lead by a dolt.

Fox & Kubiak turned down the Jets requests (Jets deny asking Fox, but I don't believe them) and now they swoop in a heartbeat for the Bears & Broncos vacancies, respectively.

Kubiak turned down everyone until he had a chance to go home where he played as John Elway's backup for a number of years. If he takes the job, he gets to work with Elway. It's a unique opportunity for him.

I don't give a crap about Fox -I had no interest- but if the Jets did invite him for an interview, I'd think it was of the "due diligence" variety. They were already sold on Bowles and Quinn as their favorites when he broke free.

Fox didn't turn us down. Kubiak turned down everyone, except the team that drafted him run by the guy he backed up most of his career. 

Fox didn't turn us down. Kubiak turned down everyone, except the team that drafted him run by the guy he backed up most of his career.

Both Fox and Kubiak knew exactly what they wanted.

Neither had any interest in the Jets whatsoever.

Que up Jets fans responses: Bowles is much better than 2 previous NFL HC's.

Perhaps.... But as a LONG TIME fan, I don't think Fox is a fit here. Kubiak...well ditto.

I am content with the Bowles hire.

Fox was never asked by the Jets, but okay.

Kubiak thought he knew what he wanted, until the options changed. I don't blame him for changing his mind to consider going "home" to where his football life began. He was a guy I wanted us to consider, it's impossible to say whether a MacCag + Bowles pairing is going to be better than MacCag + Kubes. 

You're too old for this kind of nonsense. Would you like me to start a thread about nursing home molestation, make you feel more at home?

who is solid other than Wilkerson and Richardson and Snack who is a part time player?  Some of you guys are unbelievable.   Come next year, some of you are for a real shock.  

who is solid other than Wilkerson and Richardson and Snack who is a part time player?  Some of you guys are unbelievable.   Come next year, some of you are for a real shock.  

Who is solid other than a dominant defensive line?  the most important place to be good....

Just need competence in other places...LB's are fine - safeties will be fine...just need a couple of corners and this D will be VERY good...

Really?

Who is solid other than a dominant defensive line?  the most important place to be good....

Just need competence in other places...LB's are fine - safeties will be fine...just need a couple of corners and this D will be VERY good...

Really?

Seriously, very good????

LB's are slow, old and soft and can't cover if their life depended on it.

Secondary could be the worst in the NFL.

Really?

Not true, remember when Rex took over the Jets, it was one of the worst DL in the league composed by Pouha, DeVito, Douglas. They had zero pass rusher.  Rex was able to turn our mediocre defense the year prior under Defensive guru, Mangini, into the number one defense in the league, no? :animal0029: 

I remember quite well how he was able devise those blitzes to compensate for the lack of pressure upfront.  That first game in the Meadowland against the Patriots was a perfect example.  The rest of the league became copycat of his exotic blitzes.  DB is the most important position in Rex's defense.   Even with no DB last year, we finished #6 in total defense.  

Really?

LBs are fine? How can you say that, Davis is ok at coverage and he is the best of the lot. Coples stinks in coverage as does pace and Harris, none of them are a force in the pass rush unless the side is overloaded leaving the other side vulnerable. And both pace and Coples don't have enough speed to get into the flats on screens. Both are solid setting an edge as they are DE size and harris once again is a solid MLB against the run but he is at most a 2 down backer.

Not true, remember when Rex took over the Jets, it was one of the worst DL in the league composed by Pouha, DeVito, Douglas. They had zero pass rusher.  Rex was able to turn our mediocre defense the year prior under Defensive guru, Mangini, into the number one defense in the league, no? :animal0029:

I remember quite well how he was able devise those blitzes to compensate for the lack of pressure upfront.  That first game in the Meadowland against the Patriots was a perfect example.  The rest of the league became copycat of his exotic blitzes.  DB is the most important position in Rex's defense.   Even with no DB last year, we finished #6 in total defense.  

Who copied Rex blitzes? Name another team that overloads one side like he does? And as a matter of fact Capers was doing overloads way before Rex came to the jets. Rex just blitzes a lot more.

LBs are fine? How can you say that, Davis is ok at coverage and he is the best of the lot. Coples stinks in coverage as does pace and Harris, none of them are a force in the pass rush unless the side is overloaded leaving the other side vulnerable. And both pace and Coples don't have enough speed to get into the flats on screens. Both are solid setting an edge as they are DE size and harris once again is a solid MLB against the run but he is at most a 2 down backer.

Pace, Harris and Coples have to be slowest LB trio in the league by far.  Demario is super-fast but sadly almost zero football instinct.  If he has Kiko Alonso or Luke Kuechly football instinct, he'll be a superstar.

Archived