Jets Guard Oday Aboushi: PFF All-Sophomore Team

Villain The Foe

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/14/2014-pff-all-sophomore-team/

2014 PFF All-Sophomore Team
Khaled Elsayed | January 14, 2015 

2014-ALL-SOPH.pngYesterday’s news to some, the 2013 NFL draft class has produced more than its fair share of impact players. These are the players brought in for their special talents who have started to get the feel of how the league works but are still developing their craft. Some will thrive and some will not which is the way of life in the NFL.

So while the rookies may get more attention, we’re not going to ignore those guys who are still in the early days of their NFL careers but impressing us. This brings us to the PFF 2014 All-Sophomore Team:

Quarterback: Mike Glennon (TB)

We’re not exactly starting this thing off with a bang. Glennon wins in because he simply was the least worst, with that to be expected in a class that has produced Geno Smith and EJ Manuel.

2014-ALL-SOPH-INSET-bell.pngRunning Back: Le’Veon Bell (PIT)

That’s more like it. Bell was a PFF First Team All-Pro with a stunning year that saw him making plays any time he got the ball in hand. Our top-ranked running back on the year, he’s developed into an every-down threat.

Fullback: Kyle Juszcyk (BAL)

A solid lead blocker with a knack for catching balls (only Marcel Reece caught more). He hasn’t developed into a Vonta Leach-type road grader yet but it was an encouraging first season of extensive action.

Tight End: Travis Kelce (KC)

Edging out Zach Ertz, the only thing that seemed to slow Kelce down was his playing time. He figures to be an even bigger weapon in Year 3.

Wide Receivers: DeAndre Hopkins (HOU) and Kenny Stills (NO)

Injuries slowed Keenan Allen and there really wasn’t any receiver who stood out in the slot. So these two picked themselves with Hopkins especially impressive in showing why he was a first-round pick not too long ago.

Tackles: Terron Armstead (NO) and Lane Johnson (PHI)

Tough luck for Ricky Wagner who was in contention for an All-Pro nomination until late season form and injury issues plagued him. That let the excellent Johnson in despite only playing 12 games. Left tackle was far less contentious with Armstead really the only possible choice. He’s not in the upper echelon of tackles but he’s looking like a good one.

2014-ALL-SOPH-INSET-frederick.pngGuards: Oday Aboushi (NYJ) and Kyle Long (CHI)

The improvement in Kyle Long was noticeable in pass pro with him edging out Larry Warford for this selection. Left guard was more about who not to pick with Aboushi doing a serviceable job after replacing Brian Winters and former first-rounder Jonathan Cooper still struggling to get on the field.

Center: Travis Frederick (DAL)

A beast of a run blocker, Frederick is a huge part why it looks so easy for the Cowboys offense at times. This was about as easy a choice as there was.

The best thing they say about Aboushi is that he didn't suck as much as the other sophomore LGs.  He was an upgrade over Winters, but he needs to improve if he wants to start all of next year.

I'm ready for him to be turned back into a backup, and Winters traded to Buffalo or Houston - with either Rex or our former OL coach.

One of the little things that put the coaching failures in perspective from last year, and not just Rex but the entire staff, because the most striking thing was how solid Aboushi was right off the bat. You have to wonder how Winters got the nod over him for as long as he did. Spotting that big of a difference between two guys should not be that difficult of a thing to do.

The best thing they say about Aboushi is that he didn't suck as much as the other sophomore LGs. He was an upgrade over Winters, but he needs to improve if he wants to start all of next year.

We found a guy who doesn't completely suck at a position where that's good enough to get by. This is how you're supposed to build a roster. It's not a problem to throw resources at solving.

One of the little things that put the coaching failures in perspective from last year, and not just Rex but the entire staff, because the most striking thing was how solid Aboushi was right off the bat. You have to wonder how Winters got the nod over him for as long as he did. Spotting that big of a difference between two guys should not be that difficult of a thing to do.

It's honestly why we have sucked for 4 years.  Rex refused to sit his guys or Idzik's guys or Tannebaum's guys...he was more about loyalty than coaching.

Aboushi was a beast this season. RG needs to be upgraded but after that the o-line is set for the next few years.

Either draft a RG or sign Iupati and ship Aboushi to RG. I like the idea of Iupati, he'd bring this line back to the top of the league.

Aboushi was a beast this season. RG needs to be upgraded but after that the o-line is set for the next few years.

Either draft a RG or sign Iupati and ship Aboushi to RG. I like the idea of Iupati, he'd bring this line back to the top of the league.

He had a Jihad-on for the opposing defense.. :winking0001:

It's honestly why we have sucked for 4 years.  Rex refused to sit his guys or Idzik's guys or Tannebaum's guys...he was more about loyalty than coaching.

Sort of like when Herm wouldn't sit Martin with 2 high ankle sprains or Mangini wouldn't sit Farve after he blew his arm out?? Excellent point.. :winking0001:

Why can't Jet fans allow any player at any position to develop through their mistakes without grasping at developed players from other teams who have fought through their mistakes and now demand huge salaries against our cap.

Oday Aboushi as a 2nd year player who started last year for the 1st time is an excellent prospect at LG. In his 1st yr starting at the NFL level.

He displayed decent Pass protection

He displayed power at the POA

He displayed the ability to block on the move

He displayed an ability of leadership in pre game inspiration.

He's a LG with upside.

I like Aboushi, thought he did well last season. I'd pencil him in at LG, but sign a mid-level vet and let Aboushi, Winters, Dozier, and vet compete for the starting guard spots.

Ideally Aboushi and Dozier win those jobs and that position's set going forward. Think Dozier's got a lot of physical ability for a guard so curious to see if he shows anything in camp this year.

Oday has a lot of upside and improved as the season wore on. The really scary thing is you could make an argument he is a foundational player on the line as the rest are not good, and Brick and Mangold are reaching the end.

One of the HUGE things that hopefully changes under the new Mac and Cheese regime is scouting OL. Not only were we bad at identifying offensive lineman, but because of Rex we actually rated run blocking higher than pass blocking and as Polian has said many times, the most important trait to look for in an O-lineman is pass blocking ability in "must block" situations. We were completely upside down in that area. Expect 5-6 OL draft picks in the next 2 years.

I'm ready for him to be turned back into a backup, and Winters traded to Buffalo or Houston - with either Rex or our former OL coach.

He should be fine as a starter.  New position, first year starting.  He'll only get better.  The only reason Winters "beat" him for the job was because Winters was a higher draft pick.  Oday outplayed him in camp.

Oday has a lot of upside and improved as the season wore on. The really scary thing is you could make an argument he is a foundational player on the line as the rest are not good, and Brick and Mangold are reaching the end.

One of the HUGE things that hopefully changes under the new Mac and Cheese regime is scouting OL. Not only were we bad at identifying offensive lineman, but because of Rex we actually rated run blocking higher than pass blocking and as Polian has said many times, the most important trait to look for in an O-lineman is pass blocking ability in "must block" situations. We were completely upside down in that area. Expect 5-6 OL draft picks in the next 2 years.

The Jets have a young powerful OL in the making that needs two bookends to complete it.

The Jets have : (yrs Old)

LG : Oday Aboushi (23)

C : Dalton Freeman (24)

RG : Brian Winters, (23) Dakota Dozier (23)

Cedric Ogbuehi (24) Ty Sambrailo (24) and you are set for the for seeable future.

Let's also not forget my favorite sub Ben Ijalana (25)

Brick is going to be on the team in 2015 so he's the LT. Presently Giacomini is the RT. I say draft a player in the 2nd round with the potential to be your starting LT who can start at RT in a pinch. Depending on health, I say target Texas A&M's Cedric Ogbuehi or Colorado State's Ty Sambrailo . The 1st round pick is for the edge rusher at OLBer the Jets have lacked since John Abraham was traded away.

For those looking for a CB. I say keep an eye on Bryce Callahan or Josh Shaw from USC. I really Like Callahan.

Colon should be the odd man out. Hes the worst lineman we have. Winters at LG and Aboushi at RG is what needs to happen.

Id probably reverse that and put Aboushi at LG Winters at right. Or we draft a RT and push Giacomini into either guard spot and let aboushi take the other. Colon should definitely be a non jet though. 

It was never about "Let the best man play" 

it was always about where a player was drafted and the original pecking order. Teams never succeed like that. 

Id probably reverse that and put Aboushi at LG Winters at right. Or we draft a RT and push Giacomini into either guard spot and let aboushi take the other. Colon should definitely be a non jet though. 

Brandon Scherff at 6? RT? Hmm

Brandon Scherff at 6? RT? Hmm

He could work. put him in at RT, stick Giacomini to RG, keep Aboushi in at LG and let Dozier further develop. If Giacomini isn't looking the part then let Dozier do his thing. 

If I were to draft Scherff for a tackle position it would be for the right side, imo he's not an NFL LT, at least not at the moment. Any guard position or RT he should produce. 

He could work. put him in at RT, stick Giacomini to RG, keep Aboushi in at LG and let Dozier further develop. If Giacomini isn't looking the part then let Dozier do his thing. 

If I were to draft Scherff for a tackle position it would be for the right side, imo he's not an NFL LT, at least not at the moment. Any guard position or RT he should produce. 

Why have we given up on Winters already? I know hes an average pass blocker but hes still very young and raw...

I think at 6'7 and history of playing OT, it's going to be harder said than done to just slide him inside.  I think our best bet is to keep Aboushi at LG and hope Dozier can win the starting RG job or bring someone in during FA.

I think at 6'7 and history of playing OT, it's going to be harder said than done to just slide him inside. I think our best bet is to keep Aboushi at LG and hope Dozier can win the starting RG job or bring someone in during FA.

Under no circumstances should we be picking a guy to slide in at RT at 6. Sorry. Not this draft. No ******* way.

Why have we given up on Winters already? I know hes an average pass blocker but hes still very young and raw...

We haven't given up on him, not at all. He needs to be a back up for now thats all. I'd love to have Dozier as a starter, but my personal feelings has nothing to do with the fact that he's shown nothing yet. Winters had opportunity and he showed that he needs some more time to develop. Nothing wrong with that when you're playing the best of the best. 

Under no circumstances should we be picking a guy to slide in at RT at 6. Sorry. Not this draft. No ******* way.

Yeah last time we did that at 4 in 2006 we ended up with a pro bowl hall of famer at LT that still starts today...what a joke of a move. :roll:

I think at 6'7 and history of playing OT, it's going to be harder said than done to just slide him inside.  I think our best bet is to keep Aboushi at LG and hope Dozier can win the starting RG job or bring someone in during FA.

You could be right. The awesome thing is if sliding in giacomini doesnt work you can still keep him at RT and have Sherff play guard. 

Personally, I'd love to see Sherff up against JJ Watt. 

EDIT: Then again, this is JJ Watt I'm talking about. Nevermind. 

We haven't given up on him, not at all. He needs to be a back up for now thats all. I'd love to have Dozier as a starter, but my personal feelings has nothing to do with the fact that he's shown nothing yet. Winters had opportunity and he showed that he needs some more time to develop. Nothing wrong with that when you're playing the best of the best. 

I see your point and you could be right Dozier could be a beast, or he could be worse than Winters, you never know until Dakota gets good minutes..

Yeah last time we did that at 4 in 2006 we ended up with a pro bowl hall of famer at LT that still starts today...what a joke of a move. :roll:

What I like about the use of sarcasm here is that it's so subtle.

Left tackle is a skill position. RT is not. The positional value isn't even in the same stratosphere.

Archived