Don't Sign McCown!

MyFavoriteMartin28

The jets front office being smart not stupid are not ruling anyone out.  McCown is on the list of possibilities and I see nothing wrong with that.  Two years ago he had 13 tds and 1 int with chicago and about 66% comp rating.  Tampa just happens to have one of the worst oline around.  There should be no way in the world they come into next year with Geno at the top of the depth chart.

I'd rather enter next season with Geno and Mariota/Foles fighting for the starting job with the risk being we get stuck with Hundley/Petty than have 35 year old McCown competing for the job.

Can you put up a few billboards though?

The jets front office being smart not stupid are not ruling anyone out.  McCown is on the list of possibilities and I see nothing wrong with that.  Two years ago he had 13 tds and 1 int with chicago and about 66% comp rating.  Tampa just happens to have one of the worst oline around.  There should be no way in the world they come into next year with Geno at the top of the depth chart.

I never put geno at the top of the depth chart...But I did say there should be an open competition between Geno and whoever we bring in for that top spot...The FA qbs out there put up similar numbers to Geno actually geno has put up better numbers this past season than McCown and Hoyer surprisingly but its very close.

Don't believe Foles will cost us 5-10 million unless we decide to give him an extension...I think he is on the last year of his contract but I could be wrong

I don't think Foles would be successful in a conventional offense. He had almost as many turnovers as Geno last year playing in 6 less games despite playing in Kelly's offense.

I don't think Foles would be successful in a conventional offense. He had almost as many turnovers as Geno last year playing in 6 less games despite playing in Kelly's offense.

Why do you say "despite playing in Kelly's offense"?  Kelly's offense means way more attempts.  Foles INT percentage was 3.2, Geno's 3.5,  Fairly similar, but Foles was better, so the whole 6 less games thing is misleading.  Foles was coming off a historically great season from that standpoint.  He was bound to regress some.  If you don't think the .3 constitutes a significant difference, your boy Glennon was at 3.0.

If the Jets bring in McCown, it would be primarily to battle for the backup job in my opinion.  Vick is a goner, and this team needs a veteran on the roster.

I hope they dont even waste the money. I dont see the need for a veteran on the roster that has been in the league for as long as McCown yet has just broken the 2,000 passing yard mark in 2014. 

We've seen this movie play out a few times already and it produces nothing. Either they are way past their prime (Brunell), their body no longer responds and actually can't play (Garrard) or they are considered veterans based on their time in the league, but not based on having a history of success in the league (McCown). Vick in my opinion would be the perfect guy for a situation like this, but he came in at the wrong time "Rex/Idzik" and  he's about to be released. 

I'd prefer to have some hungary young guys at QB and let the older coaches coach them if thats the case. If im going to go the "cagey veteran" route then that veteran should have a history worth respecting, otherwise what the hell is he here for because you obviously wouldnt want him to touch the field. 

I hope they dont even waste the money. I dont see the need for a veteran on the roster that has been in the league for as long as McCown yet has just broken the 2,000 passing yard mark in 2014. 

We've seen this movie play out a few times already and it produces nothing. Either they are way past their prime (Brunell), their body no longer responds and actually can't play (Garrard) or they are considered veterans based on their time in the league, but not based on having a history of success in the league (McCown). 

I'd prefer to have some hungary young guys at QB and let the older coaches coach them if thats the case. If im going to go the "cagey veteran" route then that veteran should have a history worth respecting, otherwise what the hell is he here for because you obviously wouldnt want him to touch the field. 

Great points.

Making the trade with the eagles makes the most sense even if its this and next years first picks, one second round pick, and foles we can be in good shape...if foles is terrible we don't have to extend his contract we have a good pick again next year and a second 1st round pick where if mariota is a total bust we have two top 1st round picks. If foles is good and is a Flacco-esque qb which I think he could be, we have a consistent a little above average qb and still two first round picks. and with this years 20th pick we could solve or defensive back issue or ol issue by taking BPA at those positions. It just makes so much sense to make a deal with the eagles.

If we sign a qb before the draft we lose our leverage with the eagles for a qb that's worse than foles...

Making the trade with the eagles makes the most sense even if its this and next years first picks, one second round pick, and foles we can be in good shape...if foles is terrible we don't have to extend his contract we have a good pick again next year and a second 1st round pick where if mariota is a total bust we have two top 1st round picks. If foles is good and is a Flacco-esque qb which I think he could be, we have a consistent a little above average qb and still two first round picks. and with this years 20th pick we could solve or defensive back issue or ol issue by taking BPA at those positions. It just makes so much sense to make a deal with the eagles.

If we sign a qb before the draft we lose our leverage with the eagles for a qb that's worse than foles...

Lolz

If the eagles trade up, they're going to move up to a spot where they can cut in front of a team needing a qb.. So before the jets. Why would they wait? And trading to 6 doesn't make much sense given the bears, giants, falcons and Vikings are the next 4 picks.

We've seen this movie play out a few times already and it produces nothing. Either they are way past their prime (Brunell), their body no longer responds and actually can't play (Garrard) or they are considered veterans based on their time in the league, but not based on having a history of success in the league (McCown). Vick in my opinion would be the perfect guy for a situation like this, but he came in at the wrong time "Rex/Idzik" and  he's about to be released. 

I'm not a huge fan of McCown, but I think having a seasoned vet on the roster certainly has its advantages especially early in the offseason and during camp.  Ideally, the Jets can go into next season with quarterbacks all on the younger side, but that's not really feasible unless they take someone early in the draft.  In the meantime, they need a plan b in place.

I'm not a huge fan of McCown, but I think having a seasoned vet on the roster certainly has its advantages especially early in the offseason and during camp.  Ideally, the Jets can go into next season with quarterbacks all on the younger side, but that's not really feasible unless they take someone early in the draft.  In the meantime, they need a plan b in place.

They can trade a draft pick for a young QB. sh*t, Austin Davis could even be a possibility depending on the direction the Rams take. There's no scenario that makes McCown look good to me. And we have to be careful about the fans too, they're such knee jerks (Generally speaking). I remember pre-McCown Bears QB, no one even mentioned this guy's name. He plays a few games when Cutler is out and Jet fans catch a hard-on and wants this guy to be their new starting QB. He ends up going to Tampa to be what the Jets wanted him to be here and he ended up being exactly what he was. Now we want him as a seasoned vet? The guy has dont nothing in the league outside of going 3-5 for the Bears in 2013 and the media overselling the 13TD's and 1 INT, which is quite telling in regards to how far down the road Jet fans are with their desperation for mediocre to poor QB's that Jetnation was banging the table for this guy last year, many banging for Fitz this year yet takes a crap on guys like Mike Glennon, Nick Foles and wont even mention an Austin Davis. 

This fan base can't be trusted. lol. 

I'd rather enter next season with Geno and Mariota/Foles fighting for the starting job with the risk being we get stuck with Hundley/Petty than have 35 year old McCown competing for the job.

McCown lost his starting job with one of the worst teams in the league last year.  Not exactly a gold star on his resume.

Lolz

If the eagles trade up, they're going to move up to a spot where they can cut in front of a team needing a qb.. So before the jets. Why would they wait? And trading to 6 doesn't make much sense given the bears, giants, falcons and Vikings are the next 4 picks.

they arent going to trade with the redskins and it would be cheaper to trade to 6th pick than 2nd-4th.

Threads like this are even worse than "sign xyz" threads

Is xyz a free agent!?!?!

They can trade a draft pick for a young QB. sh*t, Austin Davis could even be a possibility depending on the direction the Rams take. There's no scenario that makes McCown look good to me. And we have to be careful about the fans too, they're such knee jerks (Generally speaking). I remember pre-McCown Bears QB, no one even mentioned this guy's name. He plays a few games when Cutler is out and Jet fans catch a hard-on and wants this guy to be their new starting QB. He ends up going to Tampa to be what the Jets wanted him to be here and he ended up being exactly what he was. Now we want him as a seasoned vet? The guy has dont nothing in the league outside of going 3-5 for the Bears in 2013 and the media overselling the 13TD's and 1 INT, which is quite telling in regards to how far down the road Jet fans are with their desperation for mediocre to poor QB's that Jetnation was banging the table for this guy last year, many banging for Fitz this year yet takes a crap on guys like Mike Glennon, Nick Foles and wont even mention an Austin Davis. 

This fan base can't be trusted. lol. 

Sounds perfect:

He's a weak-armed turnover machine with four pick-sixes and two fumble-sixes across eight starts. The final nail in his coffin was a fourth-quarter collapse against Arizona last week, when Davis threw an interception, pick-six, and lost a fumble-six on three straight possessions

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8069/austin-davis

Why do you say "despite playing in Kelly's offense"? Kelly's offense means way more attempts. Foles INT percentage was 3.2, Geno's 3.5, Fairly similar, but Foles was better, so the whole 6 less games thing is misleading. Foles was coming off a historically great season from that standpoint. He was bound to regress some. If you don't think the .3 constitutes a significant difference, your boy Glennon was at 3.0.

Yeah Nick Foles sucks

Unless McCown comes with Forte, Marshall, and Jefferies you can forget him having the season he had a few years ago. Because the Jets are not close to sniffing those type of skill players who are very capable of being top 5 in every single category at their respective postions

Unless McCown comes with Forte, Marshall, and Jefferies you can forget him having the season he had a few years ago. Because the Jets are not close to sniffing those type of skill players who are very capable of being top 5 in every single category at their respective postions

so... basically

1) McCown

2) Weapennzz

3) ?????

4) Profit!

Archived