Wow...Jason Worilds to Retire

AFJF

A third unexpected retirement announcement in the last 24 hours makes for the perfect ending toone of the craziest days in NFL offseason history.Free agent pass rusher Jason Worilds released a statement through his player representative, Jason Bernstein, declaring the former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker's intention to walk away from football.

"I appreciate all of the interest from the organizations that have reached out to us the past few days," the statement reads. "With that being said, after much thought & consideration I have chosen to step away from football as I have opted to pursue other interests.

I am especially grateful of the opportunity to play before some of the greatest fans in football today. Despite any concern and speculation that may ensue, I appreciate those that are respectful of my decision."

The latest Around The NFL Podcast analyzes early free agency news, including Ndamukong Suh to Miami, Devin McCourty's new deal and much more. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

What a weird week in the NFL. Tradeapaloza is what they are calling all these moves being made, and now these weird retirements.

I wasn't shocked by Locker, he's always injured. But Willis and Worilds are both young and REAL good.

DAMN! I really wanted this guy. With him and Hughes off the market we seriously need to consider Ray and Fowler Jr in the draft. Guess I'm glad Pace is still here now.

A third unexpected retirement announcement in the last 24 hours makes for the perfect ending toone of the craziest days in NFL offseason history.Free agent pass rusher Jason Worilds released a statement through his player representative, Jason Bernstein, declaring the former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker's intention to walk away from football.

"I appreciate all of the interest from the organizations that have reached out to us the past few days," the statement reads. "With that being said, after much thought & consideration I have chosen to step away from football as I have opted to pursue other interests.

I am especially grateful of the opportunity to play before some of the greatest fans in football today. Despite any concern and speculation that may ensue, I appreciate those that are respectful of my decision."

The latest Around The NFL Podcast analyzes early free agency news, including Ndamukong Suh to Miami, Devin McCourty's new deal and much more. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

sh*t, just posted this too ... my bad

I'm guessing the downfall of all these CTE guys are scaring players away once they make a few millions.  Although I thought someone like Worldis might just player one or two more years to make more money and then retire.  

Get out while you still can...  they made some good coin... now they can ride out the good years before football aches and pains catch up to them eventually.

Get out while you still can...  they made some good coin... now they can ride out the good years before football aches and pains catch up to them eventually.

I think it could really be a possibility, with so many guys having problems, especially LBs.  Guys like Seau, Belcher, and others have been LBs who seem to take a ton of hits on their heads because they are usually involved on tackles with pass catchers and runners, so there is a high exposure to hits.  I can see why they would leave after making a good amount of money.  

Worilds made about 11 million during his career, so after taxes around 6.5 million.  Assuming he ended up saving about 4 million, he could make 100K a year doing absolutely nothing just on interest alone.  And since he's a player, probably could get a coaching job as well.  He won't be living rich and crazy, but still a comfortable life.  

I think it could really be a possibility, with so many guys having problems, especially LBs. Guys like Seau, Belcher, and others have been LBs who seem to take a ton of hits on their heads because they are usually involved on tackles with pass catchers and runners, so there is a high exposure to hits. I can see why they would leave after making a good amount of money.

Worilds made about 11 million during his career, so after taxes around 6.5 million. Assuming he ended up saving about 4 million, he could make 100K a year doing absolutely nothing just on interest alone. And since he's a player, probably could get a coaching job as well. He won't be living rich and crazy, but still a comfortable life.

Actually, these guys have pretty good sized pensions. I don't remember all the details but a guy like worldis gets more than 100k from that alone.

The timing still seems odd.  WiIlis was in the middle of a contract, but Worilds was about to cash in?  Locker seems even crazier.  Okay he made serious coin, but the guy was about to make $5M+ per for holding a clipboard.  They don't even hit him in practice.  I am betting two out of the three comeback.

Actually, these guys have pretty good sized pensions. I don't remember all the details but a guy like worldis gets more than 100k from that alone.

Right, I think all you need is about 3 years service time to get it as well, which he has.  And with the money he's made, you figure he doesn't have to pay mortgage, could have bought a house with cash as well, so he can live comfortably for the rest of his life as an upper middle class guy without having to worry about his brain getting messed up and his neck being broken.  

I think overall, we're going to see a lot of these two star athletes start to go to different sports like basketball or baseball because the risk just isn't worth the payout.  And the money is much better as well.  Which also leads me to think that the NFL is going to aggressively increase the cap to increase pay for these guys, so other sports don't take away as much talent, because I think too many parents are willing to steer their kids into other sports right now to avoid this issue.   Considering the sh*t hit the fan a few years ago, would probably take another 10 or so years before you feel the impact with kids being funneled out from football and into other sports, so the NFL would need to increase pay drastically to counteract that effect, IMO.

Archived