NFL.com's Bucky Brooks has Mariota Falling to #13 w/ Saints

AFJF

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is caught up with the wild rumor of Brees being traded.

I think it's more speculation that Mariota could be groomed while Brees is still in place.  N.O. would be crazy to trade him.

Also, Mariota sucks.

I thought it would be a huge mistake to take Mariota a few weeks ago with Geno as the only other QB on the roster.  With Fitz in the fold, it gives them a guy who should be able to play well enough that the fans won't be screaming for Mariota by week 3.  Since he'd actually have a legit chance to sit and learn I wouldn't be as upset about it as I would have before if it was going to be Mariota and Geno.

That being said, a project QB at six is still a huge gamble.  I'd prefer a safer bet with an edge rusher.

Here's my prediction: Although I do not see us getting him even if he's on the board at @ 6, I don't think Marcus Mariota makes it past us. I really do think we trade back with the Browns or the Eagles if he'd available.

I think a lot of the teams are more interested in Mariota than they appear.

I thought it would be a huge mistake to take Mariota a few weeks ago with Geno as the only other QB on the roster. With Fitz in the fold, it gives them a guy who should be able to play well enough that the fans won't be screaming for Mariota by week 3. Since he'd actually have a legit chance to sit and learn I wouldn't be as upset about it as I would have before if it was going to be Mariota and Geno.

That being said, a project QB at six is still a huge gamble. I'd prefer a safer bet with an edge rusher.

I think it'd be insane for a new regime to saddle itself with a major project QB like this, though. If Chip Kelly or Sean Payton want to take it on, more power to them. If Mariota fails, he takes everybody down with him here.

I think it'd be insane for a new regime to saddle itself with a major project QB like this, though. If Chip Kelly or Sean Payton want to take it on, more power to them. If Mariota fails, he takes everybody down with him here.

You could be right, but I think the fact that there's not a single analyst or draftnik out there who says he'll be ready within the first couple of seasons could help the FO. It could actually buy the current regime more time.  If Fitz is here to fill a spot while Mariota comes along it gives them 1-2 years to teach him, then a year or two of watching him fail or succeed before the heat gets turned up.

Again, I want to be clear in saying I don't want them to take the guy because too many questions for a no. 6 overall pick, just saying the situation now is better than it was a couple weeks ago.

Have you guys watched mariota in college? Someone told me 33% of his passing plays went to the first read. That seemed like an understatement when I actually watched him play it was more like 75% of his passes were either designed tag passes or screens.

Have you guys watched mariota in college? Someone told me 33% of his passing plays went to the first read. That seemed like an understatement when I actually watched him play it was more like 75% of his passes were either designed tag passes or screens.

That's what I didn't like about him.  I heard all the hype so I watched a few games.  He may turn out to be the greatest QB of all time, but you wouldn't know it from watching him in college.  All I saw were screen passes and the ability to play catch with his receivers while DB's trailed 10-15 yards away.

Yeah but that's fear based thinking. I would hope (assuming they like Mariota at all) that they would welcome the challenge of molding an uber athletic guy into a success. That they believe in their ability to coach up players. Not shy away and stick with a Fitz type of QB because they don't want to sink the ship. 

You're like a scared little girl with her pink dress saying "don't hurt me" . 

That's what I didn't like about him. I heard all the hype so I watched a few games. He may turn out to be the greatest QB of all time, but you wouldn't know it from watching him in college. All I saw were screen passes and the ability to play catch with his receivers while DB's trailed 10-15 yards away.

If you watch the tape anytime he has to make more than one read he struggles. Most famous example is when he threw the pick in the first half in the playoff game vs Fl St.

Bryce Petty has the same thing. And I don't want to hear "Chan Gailey has the spread offense" ultimately in the nfl you have to make 3-4 reads successfully otherwise you suck.

That's what I didn't like about him. I heard all the hype so I watched a few games. He may turn out to be the greatest QB of all time, but you wouldn't know it from watching him in college. All I saw were screen passes and the ability to play catch with his receivers while DB's trailed 10-15 yards away.

And so, you can't really blame teams for passing on him because college tape and anything they use to analyze the players suggests he isn't ready. Could prove everyone wrong. Plenty have done it.. But still. You go for the sure fire in the first and try your hardest in the 2,3.

Yeah but that's fear based thinking. I would hope (assuming they like Mariota at all) that they would welcome the challenge of molding an uber athletic guy into a success. That they believe in their ability to coach up players. Not shy away and stick with a Fitz type of QB because they don't want to sink the ship. 

You're like a scared little girl with her pick dress saying "don't hurt me" . 

That's why Gailey's hiring made me think Mariota was more of a possibility.  Bring in  a guy who has done good work with young QB's in the past and vet to hold the spot in the meantime.

And so, you can't really blame teams for passing on him because college tape and anything they use to analyze the players suggests he isn't ready. Could probe everyone wrong. Plenty have done it.. But still. You go for the sure fire in the first and try your hardest in the 2,3.

Exactly how I feel...at number six overall it'd be tough to  take a guy who you know is going to be asked to do a million things that he's never done before.  Maybe the guy turns out to be the next Steve Young, I don't know.  However, with that high first rounder, grab a guy who you've seen excel at the things you want him to be able to do at the pro level.

If you watch the tape anytime he has to make more than one read he struggles. Most famous example is when he threw the pick in the first half in the playoff game vs Fl St.

Bryce Petty has the same thing. And I don't want to hear "Chan Gailey has the spread offense" ultimately in the nfl you have to make 3-4 reads successfully otherwise you suck.

Very true...but people fall in love with stats and scoreboards.

Cris Carter loves Cooper and compared him to Randy Moss. That's all i need to know.

LOVE Cooper. And the radiers are the type of dummies to fall in love with whites speed and athleticism over Coopers smooth route running and hands... Not to mention Cooper isn't slow. 4.3 is NOT slow.

Spread offense IS used in the NFL but at a college level it stunts growth. It takes away the experience the QB needs to ecel at the next level, imho

Teams have enough speed at the pro level to counter spread offense. You can zone blitz or bump and run.

You need multiple different formations. Look at Brady and manning they don't play out of one base offensive set. Chip Kelly has yet to win a playoff game in the nfl.

LOVE Cooper. And the radiers are the type of dummies to fall in love with whites speed and athleticism over Coopers smooth route running and hands... Not to mention Cooper isn't slow. 4.3 is NOT slow.

I agree I can see that happening. Ghost of Al.

Teams have enough speed at the pro level to counter spread offense. You can zone blitz or bump and run.

You need multiple different formations. Look at Brady and manning they don't play out of one base offensive set. Chip Kelly has yet to win a playoff game in the nfl.

Exactly. I'm very skeptical of Chip Kelly and his offense. Offenses to model after definitely are teams like Green Bay,Colts, Arizona.. They are all pro style who can do a little of everything. Chip Kelly won't last long and he'll most likely die out in the NFL with the spread offense.

Exactly. I'm very skeptical of Chip Kelly and his offense. Offenses to model after definitely are teams like Green Bay,Colts, Arizona.. They are all pro style who can do a little of everything. Chip Kelly won't last long and he'll most likely die with the spread offense.

Kelly's offense reminds me of the old Bills and Oilers teams that ran the run and shoot.  Scored plenty of points but never won a ring.  Could it be that their defenses were that worn out by the time they'd played their 17th/18th/19th game while spending 40+ minutes on the field? 

Archived