NY Jets Rumors: Mike Glennon Trade Option

flgreen

Recently, there are some thoughts that Tampa Bay Buccaneers' quarterback Mike Glennon is on the trading block. Pewter Reports' Mark Cook has an answer from his online Chat Fridays that contradicts any notion of trading Glennon.

I believe the biggest debate that will take place draft weekend is Glennon. I am certain teams will be willing to make a deal and offer at least a mid-round pick if not more. So I am not confident Glennon is here next year.

But by the Bucs not signing a veteran QB during the offseason, it tells me they would prefer to have Glennon as a backup. (Plus I have been told that directly to my face as well). But a third round pick could be an offensive starter. A guard perhaps? What is more valuable? A backup QB or starter on the offensive line? This is where the debate could happen.

Then add to that, Lovie said the following at a breakfast interview:

"I think we want to have our quarterback position as strong as possible. Yes, you're a veteran and you've been in the league, you can help a young player coming in a little bit more. But Mike Glennon is on our roster because we think he can play. You need more than one good quarterback, that's why Mike is there. No one is working harder than Mike Glennon at improving his body and becoming a better quarterback."

So while the Bucs are fielding trade inquiries, depth at the quarterback position is important to Lovie Smith. Last year, Glennon had to coming in at halftime when starting quarterback Josh McCown fell to injury. Glennon started five games last year. There is still some promise in Glennon. Although he helped generate one win in those five games started, he did help give the team a lead in the fourth quarter four times.

What is there not to like about a backup quarterback on a cheap rookie deal that has two more years left on his contract? Not only that, but with an established offensive coordinator in Dirk Koetter, who has helped Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan, Glennon can improve his game and possibly raise his stock.

But Mark Cook does pose a great question, "What if it's a third round pick?"

Get it done Big Mac, our high 3rd should do it. If not Geno and a 2016 conditional late round pick Geno would be a perfect back up for Tampa . Want nothing to to with Hundley, Petty, or Grayson.

Pewter report  is a fan site, just like this one.  The article carries the same weight as a post from  our  resident writer, AFJF  

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that the Buccs are in the worst division in the league playing against bottom ranked defenses other than Carolina and he's throwing to Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. In all fairness, the buccs O-Line is pretty bad.

You can also add that the Bucs receivers ranked 12th in the league in dropped passes. 

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2014/

Would you guys trade Geno  for Glennon straight up is the question?

I wouldnt. Geno will be back in a spread offense, If Glennon beats him out then Geno would be a nice back up. I wouldnt trade Geno unless it was a situation where if he wasnt part of a deal then it would basically be a deal breaker. 

If I could keep him I would. If it was Geno or nothing, then I'd trade him. 

I am just surprised at some of the inputs here.

Ok a case can be made for acquiring Glennon and  having better numbers than Geno. Since the arguments are marginally convincing it won't be a bad thing to tryout Glennon.

But i think i read is some posts that the JETS should trade him for a 4th and a mention of even the 2nd round. On what basis are these suggestions being made. So what we have here is a 3rd round pick from two years ago who on a struggling team has at best accomplished a backup ranking. There might be some decent reason's put forth to why he was relegated to the backup role but still it is what it is. At this point he is a backup. Who in their right minds would give up 2nd or even a 4th for a backup ? That's just too high.

So while it may not be bad thing to see what he has got in a JETS uni if the compensation is 4th round or higher it would not be a smart move on the JETS part.

Too bad the JETS do not have their 5th or their 6th. One for a guy who is no longer with us and another for a guy we could have been acquired in the open market. That's why i value draft picks.

Im not sure who said a 2nd rounder, but even with that let me say this. Would you prefer to draft Vladamir Ducasse with your 2nd round pick or would you prefer to send that pick to the Bucs for Mike Glennon? Would you prefer to draft Jalen Saunders in the 4th round or would you prefer to send that 4th round pick to the Bucs for Glennon? 

I really hope that you seen what I did right there. 

True, our last years 4th rounders ranged from atrocious to head scratching to promising. I still have wont be surprised if Dozier can be a meaningful contributer and hold out hope for Evans and his hands and his concentration issues being resolved. But there is no doubt that Jalen Sanders was the worst 4th round pick ever .

But each pick is an individual event and the outcome of one year's not so good picks cannot be tied to the outcome of this  year's 4th round pick. And good teams find starters in the 4th round. Even any trades upto the 4th round are predicated on acquiring surefire starters like the Chris Ivory trade.

Glennon for all his stats is not a surefire starter. He will compete to be one. He can compete to be one. But not a defacto starter as soon as he steps on this team. You cannot trade away 4th round picks for that.

Earlier you said that you didnt believe that Glennon was worth a 2nd or even 4th round pick, then you stated in the bolded that he isn't a surefire starter. 

So my question is: Do you expect a team to trade you a sure fire starter for a 2nd to 4th round pick in this league? At what point does a QB in your eyes warrant a 4th round pick? Now, dont get me wrong, I didnt say to trade for him with a 2nd. I said to trade our 3rd rounder. I just get the feeling that you guys believe that you can get players for free. It doesnt work like that. 

If Glennon isn't a surefire starter, which I agree given that he should be coming here to add to the competition, I would love to know what QB would be worth a 4th rounder to you because he'd obviously have to be better than Glennon which would make him a starter. 

Enquiring minds ask! 

FUN FACT

Comparing Glennon's stats in his 19 games played to Smith, Glennon averages an interception every 41.2 passes thrown and a touchdown every 21.3. Smith, on the other hand, averages an interception every 23.8 passes and a touchdown every 32. 

If Glennon's career averages were expanded to a full 16-game season, the quarterback would average a completion percentage of 58.8 and throw for 3,389 yards, 24 touchdowns and just eight interceptions per season. 

(Many would suggest that this isn't worth a 4th round pick)

Recently, there are some thoughts that Tampa Bay Buccaneers' quarterback Mike Glennon is on the trading block. Pewter Reports' Mark Cook has an answer from his online Chat Fridays that contradicts any notion of trading Glennon.

I believe the biggest debate that will take place draft weekend is Glennon. I am certain teams will be willing to make a deal and offer at least a mid-round pick if not more. So I am not confident Glennon is here next year.

But by the Bucs not signing a veteran QB during the offseason, it tells me they would prefer to have Glennon as a backup. (Plus I have been told that directly to my face as well). But a third round pick could be an offensive starter. A guard perhaps? What is more valuable? A backup QB or starter on the offensive line? This is where the debate could happen.

Then add to that, Lovie said the following at a breakfast interview:

"I think we want to have our quarterback position as strong as possible. Yes, you're a veteran and you've been in the league, you can help a young player coming in a little bit more. But Mike Glennon is on our roster because we think he can play. You need more than one good quarterback, that's why Mike is there. No one is working harder than Mike Glennon at improving his body and becoming a better quarterback."

So while the Bucs are fielding trade inquiries, depth at the quarterback position is important to Lovie Smith. Last year, Glennon had to coming in at halftime when starting quarterback Josh McCown fell to injury. Glennon started five games last year. There is still some promise in Glennon. Although he helped generate one win in those five games started, he did help give the team a lead in the fourth quarter four times.

What is there not to like about a backup quarterback on a cheap rookie deal that has two more years left on his contract? Not only that, but with an established offensive coordinator in Dirk Koetter, who has helped Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan, Glennon can improve his game and possibly raise his stock.

But Mark Cook does pose a great question, "What if it's a third round pick?"

Get it done Big Mac, our high 3rd should do it. If not Geno and a 2016 conditional late round pick Geno would be a perfect back up for Tampa . Want nothing to to with Hundley, Petty, or Grayson.

Im believe that a 3rd rounder would do it. And we would have the highest 3rd round pick amongst the teams who would be in the running, and we're in a different conference. 

That's one part of it and I agree with you. Those number's look impressive.

Flip side of the coin what does he do in the 4th quarter with game on the line ?

Mike Glennon Vs. Browns 2014

1st and 10, ball placed right on the back shoulder for a 20+ yard gain

1.gif

2nd and 8, Glennon throws Evans open leading him away from the defender but Evans drops the pass. 

2.gif

2nd and 4, Glennon placing ball onto Evans outside shoulder taking the defender out of the play. TOUCHDOWN. 

5.gif

Here's another view. Notice how Evans has to position his body away from the defender in order to make the catch. 

6.gif

1st and 10, playing the boundary line with Vincent Jackson for a 20 yard gain. 

3.gif

1st and 10. Glennon waits for Evans double move then throws him the ball leading him away from the safety over top, not only keeping the safety out of the play but also giving his receiver time to brace for any hits by the safety in order to protect himself.

9.gif

2nd and 6, Defender is playing off on Evans, Evans hits him with a move before running straight out. Glennon throws a ball leading him to the sideline and Evans drops it. However, as you can see, if Evans doesnt come up with the catch then its simply an incompletion, the defender isn't even relevant in the play given Glennon's ball placement.

7.gif

2nd and 6 4th qtr. Glennon uses touch on the ball in order to direct Evans where he wants him to be, throwing him open and away from the 2 defenders for a 20+ yard gain. The refs unfortunately called this an incomplete pass. Notice how Evans starts his route by the numbers but the ball leads him over to the sideline. Glennon here shows the ability to use the entire field by way of anticipation, touch and moving his targets around on the board as if it was Chess.

8.gif

However, upon further review we see that not only did Glennon provide a perfect pass that only his WR could get, but Evans gets both feet down. This should have been a completion but instead the Bucs ended up punting the ball and losing the game. 

10.gif

So as we can see, Glennon seems to have progressed as a passer and not only began to throw the football between the defender and the boundary line, but the ball placement and touch many times takes the defender out of the play...and this is from a 2nd year QB in his 2nd offensive system with an organization that isn't investing in him as they should.

As a side note, Glennon was 17 of 33 for 260 yards and a 51.5% completion rate, however the Bucs receivers dropped about 5 passes in this game and the refs got it wrong on that 20 yard reception to Evans in the 4th qtr. 

Simms is kicking ass and taking names. lol

Didnt Rex Ryan chuckle during an interview when a reporter asked if Simms had the chance of starting at QB when both Vick and Geno were struggling? I've literally never heard a coach chuckle in regards to a player on their roster possibly starting.  

And I'd never heard a head coach blow a huge and very loud fart during a post game PC right there at the frigging podium. Rex Ryan was all class baby.

Im not sure who said a 2nd rounder, but even with that let me say this. Would you prefer to draft Vladamir Ducasse with your 2nd round pick or would you prefer to send that pick to the Bucs for Mike Glennon? Would you prefer to draft Jalen Saunders in the 4th round or would you prefer to send that 4th round pick to the Bucs for Glennon? 

I really hope that you seen what I did right there. 

That's a flawed argument. I did mention it why. So i am almost reposting what i said earlier.

Each pick is an individual event and the outcome of one year's not so good picks cannot be tied to the outcome of this  year's  pick. And good teams find starters in the 4th round via the draft. Even any trades upto the 4th round are predicated on acquiring surefire starters like the Chris Ivory trade.

That's a flawed argument. I did mention it why. So i am almost reposting what i said earlier.

Each pick is an individual event and the outcome of one year's not so good picks cannot be tied to the outcome of this  year's  pick. And good teams find starters in the 4th round via the draft. Even any trades upto the 4th round are predicated on acquiring surefire starters like the Chris Ivory trade.

Its not a flawed argument, you preferred to not answer it. The jets have been firing blanks on their draft picks for whatever reason for years, yet suddenly getting a guy that has a specific skill set that you can see clear as day on the pro level is suddenly not worth it for some 3rd round player that you dont know who it will be yet and isn't a pro player. 

People are scared of risk. 

Earlier you said that you didnt believe that Glennon was worth a 2nd or even 4th round pick, then you stated in the bolded that he isn't a surefire starter. 

So my question is: Do you expect a team to trade you a sure fire starter for a 2nd to 4th round pick in this league? At what point does a QB in your eyes warrant a 4th round pick? Now, dont get me wrong, I didnt say to trade for him with a 2nd. I said to trade our 3rd rounder. I just get the feeling that you guys believe that you can get players for free. It doesnt work like that. 

If Glennon isn't a surefire starter, which I agree given that he should be coming here to add to the competition, I would love to know what QB would be worth a 4th rounder to you because he'd obviously have to be better than Glennon which would make him a starter. 

Enquiring minds ask! 

Here is the thing. Top of my head cannot recall a QB traded for a  4th rounder that ended up being a worthwhile trade.

And yeah the Tim Tebow trade does not count as a trade, it was officially been classified as a brain freeze.

So if you have any examples i would appreciate you providing them.

1.gif

2nd and 8, Glennon throws Evans open leading him away from the defender but Evans drops the pass. 

2.gif

2nd and 4, Glennon placing ball onto Evans outside shoulder taking the defender out of the play. TOUCHDOWN. 

5.gif

Here's another view. Notice how Evans has to position his body away from the defender in order to make the catch. 

6.gif

3.gif

1st and 10. Glennon waits for Evans double move then throws him the ball leading him away from the safety over top, not only keeping the safety out of the play but also giving his receiver time to brace for any hits by the safety in order to protect himself.

9.gif

2nd and 6, Defender is playing off on Evans, Evans hits him with a move before running straight out. Glennon throws a ball leading him to the sideline and Evans drops it. However, as you can see, if Evans doesnt come up with the catch then its simply an incompletion, the defender isn't even relevant in the play given Glennon's ball placement.

7.gif

2nd and 6 4th qtr. Glennon uses touch on the ball in order to direct Evans where he wants him to be, throwing him open and away from the 2 defenders for a 20+ yard gain. The refs unfortunately called this an incomplete pass. Notice how Evans starts his route by the numbers but the ball leads him over to the sideline. Glennon here shows the ability to use the entire field by way of anticipation, touch and moving his targets around on the board as if it was Chess.

8.gif

However, upon further review we see that not only did Glennon provide a perfect pass that only his WR could get, but Evans gets both feet down. This should have been a completion but instead the Bucs ended up punting the ball and losing the game. 

10.gif

So as we can see, Glennon seems to have progressed as a passer and not only began to throw the football between the defender and the boundary line, but the ball placement and touch many times takes the defender out of the play...and this is from a 2nd year QB in his 2nd offensive system with an organization that isn't investing in him as they should.

As a side note, Glennon was 17 of 33 for 260 yards and a 51.5% completion rate, however the Bucs receivers dropped about 5 passes in this game and the refs got it wrong on that 20 yard reception to Evans in the 4th qtr. 

This is impressive compilation by the way. Deserved a positive rep just for the effort.

Ok, so i assuming you are making a point that he was phenomenal in the 4th quarter in meaningful time although the completion percentage is below average.

But one thing does not add up. If all he did was play great in meaningful periods of the game and had such good stats and why is the WIN-LOSS so skewed towards LOSS. I do not follow the Bucs and thats one thing that does not add up.

1.gif

2.gif

5.gif

6.gif

3.gif

9.gif

7.gif

8.gif

10.gif

You need a hobby.

Its not a flawed argument, you preferred to not answer it. The jets have been firing blanks on their draft picks for whatever reason for years, yet suddenly getting a guy that has a specific skill set that you can see clear as day on the pro level is suddenly not worth it for some 3rd round player that you dont know who it will be yet and isn't a pro player. 

People are scared of risk. 

I did answer it. Every draft pick is an independent event. The failure of a 4th round pick last year OR last 10 years does not mean the next 4th round pick would a failure too.

I am not as convinced as some of you are. SO i wont want to invest a 4th round pick in him.Specially since i hope my team picks a great starter at that position.

Although i think a QB hungry team could end up paying 4th rounder, i don't think that is fair value for the team acquiring him.

Keep in mind that the Buccs are in the worst division in the league playing against bottom ranked defenses other than Carolina and he's throwing to Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. In all fairness, the buccs O-Line is pretty bad.

Why do you guys just keep assuming Glennon had Evans and Jackson his entire career? I think he had both of them together a combined 3 games last year. And in 2013 his rookie year the panthers and saints were much better defensively

Flip side of the coin what does he do in the 4th quarter with game on the line ?

4th Qtr:

13 TD 8 INT 56% comp pct 

3 4th Qtr comebacks vs:

8-8 Miami Dolphins

7-9 Detroit Lions

11-5 Pittsburgh Steelers

No doormats...two meh teams, and one powerhouse.

Keeping in mind this is as a second-year part-time starter.

1.gif

2.gif

5.gif

6.gif

3.gif

9.gif

7.gif

8.gif

10.gif

Wow...that was  a lot of Glennon and TB receivers eating up Buster Skrine.  Great job though. 

4th Qtr:

13 TD 8 INT 56% comp pct 

3 4th Qtr comebacks vs:

8-8 Miami Dolphins

7-9 Detroit Lions

11-5 Pittsburgh Steelers

No doormats...two meh teams, and one powerhouse.

Keeping in mind this is as a second-year part-time starter.

Thanks for the great research. All the numbers are looking good. Infact if you can comeback against the Steelers in the 4th quarter that is a heck of a job. Not many JETS QB's can say that. The reason I asked you for these numbers in the first place is I wanted to know why is the W-L records so skewed. I still don't have an answer.

Makes too much sense. I just don't think they would trade him.

Don't see why not.  They will be all in with Winston.  Glennon will not be much of an adviser to him being a very young player himself.  An older vet would make more sense.

Glennon will be in walk year next year then he will be gone.  Would think if they can get a 3rd  or 4th for him now, it would be very tempting.  Not to mention that Glennon probably  feels he wasn't given a proper chance, and will most likely be a little unhappy.

If I were the Bucs, I'd  move him now

Thanks for the great research. All the numbers are looking good. Infact if you can comeback against the Steelers in the 4th quarter that is a heck of a job. Not many JETS QB's can say that. The reason I asked you for these numbers in the first place is I wanted to know why is the W-L records so skewed. I still don't have an answer.

Perhaps the Bucs are the worst team in football?

I did answer it. Every draft pick is an independent event. The failure of a 4th round pick last year OR last 10 years does not mean the next 4th round pick would a failure too.

I am not as convinced as some of you are. SO i wont want to invest a 4th round pick in him.Specially since i hope my team picks a great starter at that position.

Although i think a QB hungry team could end up paying 4th rounder, i don't think that is fair value for the team acquiring him.

So its cool to pass on a guy who's better than your current guy because you'd rather hold a 4th round draft pick when every pick from the 1st to the 7th are practically a crap shoot. 

You dont have to be as convinced as me, im just shedding light on the fact that we're talking about a 3rd or 4th rounder for what everyone says is the most important position on your team. You prefer to keep a crap shoot 4th round pick. 

Mike Glennon down 20-24 to the Steelers, 2nd and 10 with 34 seconds left in the game and no timeouts.

superb%201.gif

Mike Glennon with 12 seconds left in the game. 

Vincent%20Jackson%20ending%20TD.gif

1.gif

2.gif

5.gif

6.gif

3.gif

9.gif

7.gif

8.gif

10.gif

I just want to know one thing.  How big a slice are you getting? :-)

They're not getting any of our QBs. Mike Vick, Jason Campbell, Matt Flynn, Case Keenum, Tyler Thigpen are all still available. 

If I'm correct, McCown would have made something like 5 and a half million dollars this year if the Bucs kept him. 

the delusion is strong with this one, lol

they aren't going into the season with winston and vick, you are killing me dude

the delusion is strong with this one, lol

they aren't going into the season with winston and vick, you are killing me dude

I didnt say that they were going in with Vick. I simply gave you the FA players available. I dont know why you figure that this is such strong delusion when this is a team that will most likely draft a QB #1 when they dont even need one. 

Why do you guys just keep assuming Glennon had Evans and Jackson his entire career? I think he had both of them together a combined 3 games last year. And in 2013 his rookie year the panthers and saints were much better defensively

Yeah but he had Vincent Jackson didn't he?  And Jackson was considerably better than anyone Geno his first year.   Even if he only had Evans and Jackson for  3 games that is still 3 games with two # 1 caliber receivers.   I don't see we can over look that.  In watching the film Villian posted Glennon makes some nice throws but his receivers make some outstanding grabs as well.  There was NOBODY on the Jets capable of making some of the catches I saw Evans make.   If Glennon was on the Jets throwing to the likes of Stephen Hill and the rest of those scrubs his first year I wonder how his stats would have looked.   I give credit for Glennon being better prepared coming out of College then Geno and yet he still had a chance to sit and watch for almost half the season.    Geno, who wasn't nearly as polished, was starting from day one; any wonder he struggled his first two years?   

Yeah but he had Vincent Jackson didn't he? And Jackson was considerably better than anyone Geno his first year. Even if he only had Evans and Jackson for 3 games that is still 3 games with two # 1 caliber receivers. I don't see we can over look that. In watching the film Villian posted Glennon makes some nice throws but his receivers make some outstanding grabs as well. There was NOBODY on the Jets capable of making some of the catches I saw Evans make. If Glennon was on the Jets throwing to the likes of Stephen Hill and the rest of those scrubs his first year I wonder how his stats would have looked. I give credit for Glennon being better prepared coming out of College then Geno and yet he still had a chance to sit and watch for almost half the season. Geno, who wasn't nearly as polished, was starting from day one; any wonder he struggled his first two years?

Now you're just back pedaling and overrating the sh-t out of Vincent Jackson. Nice player he's not even a top 10 receiver. He and Decker are interchangeable.

Last year Glennon was productive with Louis friggin Murphy, a guy the bucs literally got off the street, as his #2 WR.

And yes, Glennon is absolutely a better player than Geno and I'm called a Geno apologist.

THIS.  Plus, and I am repeating myself, Glennon wasn't force feed into starting like Geno was before he was ready.  In fact, he was more NFL ready then Geno from the get go.   That is why I am not swayed by simply looking at his numbers vs. Geno.   I freely admit that Smith has been very inconsistent and struggled mightily; he also has shown some flashes of ability to be a good quarterback.   Will he put it all together in his 3rd year?  I have no idea and I realize most doubt and I understand how they feel.  I think he demonstrate that he has grown and gotten better as qb.  

I would have no problem bringing Glennon for no more than a 4th because there is no guarantee in my mind that his going to beat out Geno Smith.   Every coach wants to win and the dude couldn't start for the Bucs of all teams; I don't know why we keep dismissing that.

yeah I guess if the jets are going to draft a qb with the 4th why not bring Glennon im in and love the avatar lol

Archived