Former NFL Running back Lawrence Phillips suspected in killing of his prison cellmate

papz187

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/04/14/ex-nfl-running-back-lawrence-phillips-suspected-killing-prison-cellmate/

Lawrence Phillips, a former college football star at the University of Nebraska whose NFL career was derailed by criminal convictions, is a suspect in the murder of his cellmate at a California prison, officials said Monday.

Kern Valley State Prison spokesman Lt. Marshall Denning said in a statement that Phillips' cellmate, Damion Soward, was pronounced dead after being found early Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Phillips, 39, was once one of the nation's top college football players at Nebraska, helping the Cornhuskers win back-to-back national championships in 1994 and 1995. He played for the St. Louis Rams, until being released in 1997 for insubordination. He also played for the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers.

Phillips is serving a sentence of more than 31 years. He was convicted of twice choking his girlfriend in 2005 in San Diego and later that year of driving his car into three teens after a pickup football game in Los Angeles. It wasn't clear if Phillips has an attorney.

Soward, a 37-year-old inmate from San Bernardino County, was serving 82 years to life for a first-degree murder conviction.

Prison officials said they suspect a second inmate at the prison of killing his cellmate. It's unclear if the two are related.

John Munoz, a 24-year-old sentenced to 42 years on for sexual battery and other charges in Los Angeles County, is suspected of killing cellmate, 41-year-old Rattanak Kim, who was serving a sentence of 35-years to life for conspiracy to commit murder in San Diego County.

Prison officials are investigating both deaths along with the Kern County Coroner and Kern County District Attorney, prison officials said.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It just amazes me that guys like Phillips and Hernandez were blessed with the God given talent to play a child's game we all love for millions and threw it away when most of us would of killed (no pun intended lol) for that opportunity.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Best college RBs..that I've seen,

1. Bo Jackson

2, Barry Sanders

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Ricky Williams

5. Herschal Walker

6. Reggie Bush

7. Adrian Peterson

8. Lawrence Phillips

9. Rashaan Salaam

10. Eddie George

I know Walker and Rozier were around the same time but I distinctly remember watching Walker and emulating him running through the sofa pillows in the living room as a kid.

Walker (and Rozier) probably more in top 5 if I were a little older.

I think I'd take Phillips over all those guys. He was scary power/speed. Prob the closest thing to Bo.

Although I was prob a little too young to truly appreciate Rozier.

1.Rozier 2. Green 3. Phillips.  

Rozier is normally considered the #1 or #2 Cornhusker of all time.  He also averaged 7.16 yards a carry for his collegiate carer. 

Highlights - 

Rozier ran for 2,148 yards and 29 td's in 1983 which included a game in which he ran for 230 yards in the first half of a game

Green rushed for 1,877 and 22 TD's in 1997 

Phillips rushed for 1,722 yards and 16 td's in 1994

1. Bo Jackson

2, Barry Sanders

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Ricky Williams

5. Herschal Walker

6. Reggie Bush

7. Adrian Peterson

8. Lawrence Phillips

9. Rashaan Salaam

10. Eddie George

I know Walker and Rozier were around the same time but I distinctly remember watching Walker and emulating him running through the sofa pillows in the living room as a kid.

For what you have seen that is good.  OJ Simpson is considered the best running back of all time.  

For me that I remember and saw only it would be.....

1. Hershel Walker

2. Mike Rozier 

3. Ricky Williams

But Barry Sanders had had the best one year numbers ever...  From ESPN

Sanders didn't just rewrite the NCAA record book in 1988, he took a flamethrower to it. Sanders set 34 NCAA records that season on his way to capturing the Heisman Trophy. He also rushed for 2,628 yards and 37 touchdowns, while adding two special-teams scores. The NCAA didn't begin including bowl game statistics until 2002, but with 222 yards and five touchdowns in the Holiday Bowl against Wyoming, he totaled 2,850 yards and 44 touchdowns. No player since has come close to touching either mark.

Also, guys like Phillips and Hernandez keep the same friends around them when they become rich and famous which is a recipe for disaster.  

yup. Iverson now admits that was his downfall. I saw HBO thing on Iverson and he said his huge mistake was keeping and supporting huge posse from high school. said he has severed that whole crowd cause they literally expected him to support them while they never got jobs. As he aged/married/had kids etc he realized how insane that was.

1. Bo Jackson

2, Barry Sanders

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Ricky Williams

5. Herschal Walker

6. Reggie Bush

7. Adrian Peterson

8. Lawrence Phillips

9. Rashaan Salaam

10. Eddie George

Add Ron Danye to that list as well.

1. Bo Jackson

2, Barry Sanders

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Ricky Williams

5. Herschal Walker

6. Reggie Bush

7. Adrian Peterson

8. Lawrence Phillips

9. Rashaan Salaam

10. Eddie George

1. Brian Leonard.

2. Doesn't matter. They weren't Brian Leonard.

1. Bo Jackson

2, Barry Sanders

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Ricky Williams

5. Herschal Walker

6. Reggie Bush

7. Adrian Peterson

8. Lawrence Phillips

9. Rashaan Salaam

10. Eddie George

Salaam and George on the list and no Tomlinson or Dickerson? No wonder you loved Trent Richardson.

Salaam and George on the list and no Tomlinson or Dickerson? No wonder you loved Trent Richardson.

Sorry but I didn't catch too many SMU games as a kid...and to be honest neither did I watch a TCU game while LT was there. I actually remember a TCU game being on the TV and them taking about LT but I don't even remember watching it. The list is more personal than anythjg else. Like somebody brought up stats and maybe Phillips didn't run for as many yards as others but not too many ran with that kind I ferousity plus speed. He was sick.

Sorry but I didn't catch too many SMU games as a kid...and to be honest neither did I watch a TCU game while LT was there. I actually remember a TCU game being on the TV and them taking about LT but I don't even remember watching it. The list is more personal than anythjg else. Like somebody brought up stats and maybe Phillips didn't run for as many yards as others but not too many ran with that kind I ferousity plus speed. He was sick.

Gotcha. Phillips was good. I believe he effectively ended Steve Young's career if memory serves. Saalam I always thought was meh.

1. Bo Jackson

2, Barry Sanders

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Ricky Williams

5. Herschal Walker

6. Reggie Bush

7. Adrian Peterson

8. Lawrence Phillips

9. Rashaan Salaam

10. Eddie George

Most entertaining runner ever.  Loved watching him play.  Stuck on a bad team.  

Archived