Draft Williams --> Let Mo Walk --> Throw the bank at Rivers/Brees next offseason

jetscrazey

This is the untold flexibility that drafting Leonard Williams gives the Jets going into the offseason next year.  Mo was going to demand $12 million per year at a minimum.  Now that money can be added onto other heaps of money to finally get a great QB here.

If the Saints blow it all up, they could very well cut Brees and save $20 million on the cap.  Rivers as we know is already set to be a free agent, and let's just pray the Chargers let him hit the open market.

I dont think this was his plan. Mac was probably surprised williams was the board. If he passed on williams even for white it would have been tough.

This.

And would certainly have been against any BPA approach.

I dont think this was his plan. Mac was probably surprised williams was the board. If he passed on williams even for white it would have been tough.

I know he didn't plan it, but now that it's possible it seems like a great course of action should either of those QBs become available.

This is the untold flexibility that drafting Leonard Williams gives the Jets going into the offseason next year. Mo was going to demand $12 million per year at a minimum. Now that money can be added onto other heaps of money to finally get a great QB here.

If the Saints blow it all up, they could very well cut Brees and save $20 million on the cap. Rivers as we know is already set to be a free agent, and let's just pray the Chargers let him hit the open market.

Rivers is being tagged n traded at best. Brees is not hitting the FA. Even if he did, he'll be about 70 years old running on fumes.

Keep Mo this year and then use him to trade up for Cook or Hackenberg next year.

He's a free agent next year. It makes no sense to let him walk. If we're going to trade him, it's best we trade him now for duture picks in order to trade up next year.

He's a free agent next year. It makes no sense to let him walk. If we're going to trade him, it's best we trade him now for duture picks in order to trade up next year.

Great point...maybe the plan is to turn Wilkerson into Williams plus ammo to draft a 1st round QB next year. Obviously depending on how Williams and who the QB is but that would be a hell of a trade. 

Would it be just straight up for future picks?

Would it be just straight up for future picks?

It's possible a player could be involved. Worse case scanario, we can always franchise Wilk next year and force him to play with the tag or trade him and get multiple picks.

It's more likely they trade Mo for picks.  But who is going to give a 1st/2nd rounder for someone who needs a new big fat contract coming up?  They'd rather call the Jets bluff and wait for him to go to free agency and get him without having to give up the pick.

It's more likely they trade Mo for picks.  But who is going to give a 1st/2nd rounder for someone who needs a new big fat contract coming up?  They'd rather call the Jets bluff and wait for him to go to free agency and get him without having to give up the pick.

For a 25 year old real good player?  He has value. 

Jared Allen got a 1.  Mo isn't that kind of pass rusher, but he also had no drug suspensions.

I was really expecting Pettine to give us a 1 for him.   Make their D Line better, Pettine knows him, Mo knows his system.  I thought it made sense.

For a 25 year old real good player?  He has value. 

Jared Allen got a 1.  Mo isn't that kind of pass rusher, but he also had no drug suspensions.

I was really expecting Pettine to give us a 1 for him.   Make their D Line better, Pettine knows him, Mo knows his system.  I thought it made sense.

I think if you get a 1 for Mo, you take it.  Especially from a team like Cleveland that could be picking in the top 10 next year.

I think if you get a 1 for Mo, you take it.  Especially from a team like Cleveland that could be picking in the top 10 next year.

I really thought they'd send us their second 1 this year.  I also really thought we'd get Cooper, so that shows what I know.

This is the untold flexibility that drafting Leonard Williams gives the Jets going into the offseason next year.  Mo was going to demand $12 million per year at a minimum.  Now that money can be added onto other heaps of money to finally get a great QB here.

If the Saints blow it all up, they could very well cut Brees and save $20 million on the cap.  Rivers as we know is already set to be a free agent, and let's just pray the Chargers let him hit the open market.

Great idea, Lets cut trade Wilkerson then hope that brees and or rivers are set free (far from a guarantee for either player). If one of them are actually set free we would be better off replacing Furguson who actually is already costing us a ton of money and letting him go to push for a qb that in reality we might not even need.

Keep Mo this year and then use him to trade up for Cook or Hackenberg next year.

What he said... No need to reach for a QB to high in the draft this year, Next year is when we need to throw in all the marbles to get either of those 2 guys.

There's no need to trade Mo. The Jets dont have a cap problem. Remember, theyre paying Calvin Pace something like $7 million. Thats coming off the board next year AND the cap is going up.

There's no need to trade Mo. The Jets dont have a cap problem. Remember, theyre paying Calvin Pace something like $7 million. Thats coming off the board next year AND the cap is going up.

They're paying Pace like two million.

Wilkerson is going to want a lot of money, using the Watt contract as a reference, he isn't worth that. This team has more than enough defensive lineman now that he is expendable. If he can be used to acquire a competent QB, then you do it without thinking twice.

Archived