To those who wanted to draft a running back in the early or middle rounds

jetscrazey

After the Ridley signing, I gave up on this idea.

Do you really think it's worth investing a high pick in a running back when you already have Chris Ivory, and have given new contracts to Bilal Powell and Stevan Ridley already this offseason?  These are all experienced players who can perform in the NFL.  Ridley and Powell are just 26 years old.

Can't carry 4 RBs.  If you draft a RB, there's a big chance he wouldn't make the active roster.

Don't forget, the Jets brass still thinks Bilal Powell has his best football ahead of him, and he's one of the best blitz-pickup backs in the NFL.  I liked Duke Johnson but there's no way he would be able to get the playing time he needs with the players on this roster currently.

After the Ridley signing, I gave up on this idea.

Do you really think it's worth investing a high pick in a running back when you already have Chris Ivory, and have given new contracts to Bilal Powell and Stevan Ridley already this offseason?  These are all experienced players who can perform in the NFL.  Ridley and Powell are just 26 years old.

Can't carry 4 RBs.  If you draft a RB, there's a big chance he wouldn't make the active roster.

Don't forget, the Jets brass still thinks Bilal Powell has his best football ahead of him, and he's one of the best blitz-pickup backs in the NFL.  I liked Duke Johnson but there's no way he would be able to get the playing time he needs with the players on this roster currently.

Ivory didn't get hurt last season but I think that was his only healthy season, Ridley and Powell are decent change of pace type backs but I couldn't see either one of them being successful as our first back if Ivory went down. Richardson couldn't make our roster last season with Cj0k and Powell, we could use another back still in my opinion its a pretty big need.

Ivory didn't get hurt last season but I think that was his only healthy season, Ridley and Powell are decent change of pace type backs but I couldn't see either one of them being successful as our first back if Ivory went down. Richardson couldn't make our roster last season with Cj0k and Powell, we could use another back still in my opinion its a pretty big need.

Ridley is a 1,000 yard rusher when he's a starter, historically.  I wouldn't really call him a change of pace back.  He had over 1250 years 2 years ago and is just 26.

We needed a dynamic RB who can catch. I agree, how many rb's could we have? But figured if we found a gem somebody like Powell could've been moved.

I agree. Also think the team could absolutely carry four RBs. One or two would need to be contributing on specials, but you can carry them. What they don't need is a fullback. 

As someone who wanted a back drafted I thought a) the Jets could use both a back with a little explosiveness and a back besides Powell who can contribute a little in the passing game b ) there's no clear cut starter on the team right now who couldn't be upgraded and the Jets are going to have to run the ball to win c) Ivory and Ridley are a little redundant in terms of skill sets and with Ridley coming off an ACL injury and receiving very little guaranteed money it's far from a lock both make the roster d) if Gailey's running more spread and zone type stuff, they might want a different kind of back to fit that scheme a litlte better and e) running back is a position where you can get a guy who ends up being a superstar in round 2 or 3 if you take the right dude.

The nice thing about the Ridley acquisition was that there wasn't an aboslute need to take a back. I think they might have taken Duke Johnson if he fell to #82. But they'll be okay without him for now. And as for Gailey's scheme, he tends to adapt to personnel as far as I understand so maybe they run more stuff that's better for power backs. It wasn't an absolute must to draft a back, but I think it would have been an exciting selection and could have had an immediate impact for the team.

On Ajayi, it sounds like his medical issues are similar to Dwayne Robertson. For a position where guys fall off a cliff around 30 anyway, if you can get a good few years out of Ajayi I think you take it. Probably just going to cut his career shorter than otherwise, but backs don't play forever anyway. Dude can play. I'd be pretty happy if they picked him in the 5th.

Ridley is a 1,000 yard rusher when he's a starter, historically. I wouldn't really call him a change of pace back. He had over 1250 years 2 years ago and is just 26.

He also fumbles like crazy and played in a system that could make a one legged man rush for 1,000 yards.

As i said last nite, I doubt a RB materializes in the 4th round. I wont be surprised if the JETS used one of their picks in the 7th round or moveup  to the 6th round to  pick up a prospect like John Crockett or even a Dee Hart.

Yeah, it's a question of priorities. Taking away the first pick, which enriched a strength at DL, the Jets were agreed to need a WR, OLB, OL, QB (if anyone was worth it), and RB. Those were the key positions going in. So they got two WR's, an OLB, a QB, an OG, and a DL who was the best player in the draft. If they walk away with that alone, they've done a tremendous amount with five picks. They've got two more to go to take flyers on BPA in the seventh.

The Jets have drafted so much more intelligently this year than last that it's stunning. They picked up extra picks, as needed, as used them well. And they got B. Marshall while retrieving the pick they lost for him. That's good management.

He also fumbles like crazy and played in a system that could make a one legged man rush for 1,000 yards.

Something tells me Ridley is gonna rip the Patriots weak defense without Wilfork a new azzhole!

Ridley is a Jag, Powell Average and Ivory cant be counted on imo

Duke or Tevon should had have taken imo in rd 3

Yeah, every mid round draft pick is a stud until he actually plays against NFL level opponents. Suddenly, they're all on a learning curve and wondering why those big holes they had in college aren't there anymore and why they close up so fast you can hardly blink. Let's not get carried away. All our RB's can play in the NFL. That's not unimportant.

Ridley is a Jag, Powell Average and Ivory cant be counted on imo

Duke or Tevon should had have taken imo in rd 3

yes the only RB on the jets roster to ever rush for 1000 yards in a year is a jag.. please stop if he get healthy he is very Capable Running back.if you wanna dispute the fumbles thats one thing but don't undersell his talent.

Ivory i agree he is a healthy risk but he is a capable player when healthy

Powell i agree 

yes the only RB on the jets roster to ever rush for 1000 yards in a year is a jag.. please stop if he get healthy he is very Capable Running back.if you wanna dispute the fumbles thats one thing but don't undersell his talent.

Powell i agree and Ivory

Im sorry i have never been impressed with Ridley...not many teams even looked at him,....no one wants a fumbler, i think he is training camp fodder. I have no issue with this cheap signing...Duke and Tevon Look real good imo

Im sorry i have never been impressed with Ridley...not many teams even looked at him,....no one wants a fumbler, i think he is training camp fodder. I have no issue with this cheap signing...Duke and Tevon Look real good imo

Duke looked good. im fine passing on Tevon straight line runners never excite me as running backs..

If we draft Duke then we don't get the OLB who could very well end up being a starter here.  And maybe we don't get the guard we drafted either.

RB is not a position to give up other picks for.  It is the most replaceable position there is.  The Patriots won the Super Bowl with a guy who was a street free agent 2 months earlier.

If we draft Duke then we don't get the OLB who could very well end up being a starter here.  And maybe we don't get the guard we drafted either.

RB is not a position to give up other picks for.  It is the most replaceable position there is.  The Patriots won the Super Bowl with a guy who was a street free agent 2 months earlier.

LOL But Jets do not have a QB mon

yeah, but what I mean is QB is a position you sacrifice other players for.  RB? no.

If you do not have a good Qb, you need a real good RB, jets need an upgrade for sure. The defense is good, to grind out low scoring games, Duke would have been a godsend.

If you do not have a good Qb, you need a real good RB, jets need an upgrade for sure. The defense is good, to grind out low scoring games, Duke would have been a godsend.

When we had Ivory and Powell in 2013 and went 8-8 with Geno Smith, were the running backs the problem with this team?

Duke Johnson is a good player but let's not make him out to be Demarco Murray.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN 32s32 seconds ago

I'm told the Jets are one of the teams that have inquired about Rams RB Zac Stacey, who wants out after the Gurley pick #nyj

Want nothing to do with Stacy. Not only was she terrible last year, she is dumb, requesting a trade after a pathetic season. She should be requesting a roster spot if anything.

When we had Ivory and Powell in 2013 and went 8-8 with Geno Smith, were the running backs the problem with this team?

Duke Johnson is a good player but let's not make him out to be Demarco Murray.

Lets not make Murray out to be Barry Sanders either. I highly feel Murray's season had more to do with the Cowboys OL than himself. He'll need to prove it first that he can do what he did on a consistent basis and on different teams.

Want nothing to do with Stacy. Not only was she terrible last year, she is dumb, requesting a trade after a pathetic season. She should be requesting a roster spot if anything.

Incredible insight on avoiding Zach Stacy & why!

Oops, I guess Big Mac doesn't agree with you, lol.

Incredible insight on avoiding Zach Stacy & why!

Oops, I guess Big Mac doesn't agree with you, lol.

Same can be said about Rams GM n why they didn't need him. He'll be 3rd RB on the Jets at best, but the board is making him out to be the next Thomas Jones.

Same can be said about Rams GM n why they didn't need him. He'll be 3rd RB on the Jets at best, but the board is making him out to be the next Thomas Jones.

There are a lot of factors to a RBs success.

Rams offense was more pathetic than ours. A 5'-7" WR in Austin. A bad Oline. Absolutely no QB so every team they faced was playing 9 guys on the LOS.

Zach Stacy would probably be a pretty good fantasy player if he was running behind the Cowboys Oline.

Archived