Best Case Scenario.... Coples goes Beast Mode in Camp.

32EBoozer

He's an OLB in the base 3-4 defense. Even with Mo absent I doubt they move him to DE. They know Mo will be back eventually, so it's a waste of time. Q needs the snaps at OLB, we all know he can play Mo's position without having to prepare really, he can just dive in and be just as effective. I think right now either Bowen or Vickerson is taking his spot at DE. Leonard probably lines up with the 2nd team for now I'd guess.

Good stuff! Thanks for the insight.... that goes for ALL you knuckleheads.

Haven't been this excited for a season since 2010.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coples will be one of the intriguing stories this TC. Its show up or shut up time.

coples.gif

He's played well, at times at an All Pro level. His stats for the most part just suck, that's all. The other stats (QB Hits, disruptions, tackles for loss etc.) he's put up are top notch. And those are really the only ones that define him or any D-Lineman for that matter.

I think he had 3 confirmed "kills" (IR'ing somebody) last season. 2 running backs he almost decapitated with his trademark clothesline coming off the edge and just grabbing their heads like Hulk would with his palm and ripping their helmets off, and a QB on a late hit I think (Locker?). He doesn't have the same crazy personality of a Lyle Alzado or Bill Romanowski but he has that same playing style.

I guess we can correct that by "Juicing" him up like those you mentioned!! Anything for the win!

"JUST WIN BABY!!!

coples.gif

He's played well, at times at an All Pro level. His stats for the most part just suck, that's all. The other stats (QB Hits, disruptions, tackles for loss etc.) he's put up are top notch. And those are really the only ones that define him or any D-Lineman for that matter.

Inconsistent player with a lot of talent. I say this because he's had enough time at OLB to get it together this year.

If there's one guy on our team I don't want to block or get hit by its Coples. Not sure who created this myth of him being soft just because off the field he looks like he's about to fall asleep 90% of the time.

I'd hate to have to grab onto his arm brandings when trying to block him. YECH!!

20120316-coples.jpg

If SF wants to move QB Kapernick, I would trade Mo for him straight up or maybe they give us back a 3rd rounder next year as well and we throw in Geno in the deal. Or if Seattle just won't or can't pay QB Wilson I'd do the same and even throw in 3 or 4th round draft pick next year. They may balk at that a little and want our 2nd rounder or higher, but at one point they will just be stringing Wilson along for Franchise tags of 20+M that they can't afford and at one point can't even use the tag and he will leave with them getting nothing. These are hypotheticals in assuming that over the next year or so no QB we have can get the job done to an acceptable level i.e not the reason why we lose, or the reason why we can't win and is the weak link as to why that is. 

If SF wants to move QB Kapernick, I would trade Mo for him straight up or maybe they give us back a 3rd rounder next year as well and we throw in Geno in the deal. Or if Seattle just won't or can't pay QB Wilson I'd do the same and even throw in 3 or 4th round draft pick next year. They may balk at that a little and want our 2nd rounder or higher, but at one point they will just be stringing Wilson along for Franchise tags of 20+M that they can't afford and at one point can't even use the tag and he will leave with them getting nothing. These are hypotheticals in assuming that over the next year or so no QB we have can get the job done to an acceptable level i.e not the reason why we lose, or the reason why we can't win and is the weak link as to why that is. 

No way Seattle wants a DL costing $14 mil/yr with $40 mil guaranteed. They might however like a guy like Leonard Williams, who they can control for 5 years at a reasonable price. That plus a 3rd coul;d do it. I'm just not sure if I'd do that deal.

Offenses are seriously not going to know who to concentrate on if all our guys stay healthy and in that environment I think Quentin Coples might well have a breakout year (or even more of a breakout year) depending on where you stand on his performance last year.  Also he is playing for a new deal which can have the effect of motivating players for whom motivation is otherwise an issue.

So yes, I think a good year for big Q may be in the cards.

Offenses are seriously not going to know who to concentrate on if all our guys stay healthy and in that environment I think Quentin Coples might well have a breakout year (or even more of a breakout year) depending on where you stand on his performance last year.  Also he is playing for a new deal which can have the effect of motivating players for whom motivation is otherwise an issue.

So yes, I think a good year for big Q may be in the cards.

Can you imagine when the defense is all standing up and not showing their alignment until the last second and then they overload one side of the line with Coples, Wilkerson and Williams crashing in over a left guard while keeping Harrison and Richardson holding the fort on the other side?

Like a Tsunami making a land surge.... nothing can stop it!

My hope is that Bowles coaching ability helps unlock Coles potential. He could seriously cause some havoc back there with our DLine. If not, put an edge rusher on the wish list.

I'm hoping Mauldin can be that guy coming in behind Wilkerson and Coples coming in behind Richardson. Pocket collapse in 3...2...1

He's more like a Suggs. He doesn't have the burst off the edge.

Uhhh! you're kidding right? Dion Jordan has burst and he sucks... Suggs is fine by me!

Suggs Career: 181 G, 7 Int, 106.5 Sk (24th), 2 TD, All-Pro(1st), 6xProBowl,

Uhhh! you're kidding right? Dion Jordan has burst and he sucks... Suggs is fine by me!

Suggs Career: 181 G, 7 Int, 106.5 Sk (24th), 2 TD, All-Pro(1st), 6xProBowl,

True. I'll take a bad attitude over a burst of speed any day.

True. I'll take a bad attitude over a burst of speed any day.

I liked this article:

Finding the Fits: Lorenzo Mauldin could become Jets' top rusher

Rob Rang CBS Sports.  

Prior to the draft, some theorized that because Todd Bowles might change his approach to generating pressure on the quarterback in New York than he showed as defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals.

The theory went that because Bowles was inheriting an even better defensive line than the one he coached in Arizona, he might rely more on the big guys to rush the passer in New York rather than blitzing aggressively as he did in the NFC West.

The addition of Mauldin, however, gives Bowles the talented and passionate edge rusher to continue blitzing when he'd like.

The 6-foot-4, 259 pound Mauldin possesses the burst to cross the face of tackles, as well as quickness and an effective swim move to slip by them. Because he locates the football quickly and plays with passion, Mauldin plays faster than he timed in workouts (4.85 seconds in the 40 yard dash). He's also relatively pro-ready, starring as both a 4-3 defensive end and 3-4 rush linebacker for the Cardinals and showing similar versatility throughout Senior Bowl week.

It isn't just his own talent that could lead to success in the NFL for Mauldin, however. He also could be in line for early playing time. Mauldin joins an outside linebacker group that was led in sacks last year by the 34-year old Calvin Pace, who mustered "only" five quarterback takedowns. Should Bowles elect to blitz with the same abandon in New York that he did in Arizona, Jets fans can expect the club's top rushing outside linebacker to finish better than fifth on the club in sacks in 2015.

Further, don't be surprised if that outside linebacker is Mauldin.

Other thoughts on the Jets' 2015 draft class

After two of the Jets' first three picks were spent on defenders and the other invested in a speed receiver supposedly lacking polish, one couldn't blame Jets fans if wondering if Rex Ryan wasn't still running things.

In his 15 years scouting with the Houston Texans, Mike Macaggnan developed a reputation for taking the best player available route so it wasn't a surprise that his Jets selected Leonard Williams at No. 6 overall, only that the draft's best defender was still on the board. Given that the Jets already boasted one of the league's most talented defensive lines, Williams certainly wasn't a need but he certainly gives the Jets a lot of flexibility. Like Muhammed Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, two of the more gifted defensive linemen already on the roster, Williams possesses impressive power, balance and instincts for the position. He's not a quick-twitch pass rusher, however, which is likely why he "slid" to six in the first place.

Because he was so successful as a big play threat in Ohio State's offense, Devin Smith developed a reputation as a one-trick pony but he possesses the athleticism, balance and toughness to develop into a formidable all-around receiver. Smith isn't there yet but his ability to stretch the field vertically should help open up underneath routes for Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker to exploit.

If Smith is a project, former Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty might be a complete reconstruction. Don't get me wrong, Petty has talent. He has a strong arm, good athleticism and the intangibles to develop into a starting NFL quarterback. His success in Art Briles' relatively simple one-read, shotgun offense, however, doesn't translate particularly well to the NFL. Essentially, Petty will be asked to make two or three times the number of reads in significantly less time than he usually was given in the pocket at Baylor. He may challenge for the starting job after a year of working with Chan Gailey but barring an injury to incumbent Geno Smith, Petty will be playing strictly sideline roles in 2015.

Read more: http://newyorkjetshampur.com/thread/2729/article-mauldin-jets-top-rusher#ixzz3atxfPZpZ

No way Seattle wants a DL costing $14 mil/yr with $40 mil guaranteed. They might however like a guy like Leonard Williams, who they can control for 5 years at a reasonable price. That plus a 3rd coul;d do it. I'm just not sure if I'd do that deal.

although I don't think Wilson is a "great" qb, he is good enough. I would let seattle pick any 2 players that they wanted in a trade.

I liked this article:

Rob Rang CBS Sports.

Prior to the draft, some theorized that because Todd Bowles might change his approach to generating pressure on the quarterback in New York than he showed as defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals.

The theory went that because Bowles was inheriting an even better defensive line than the one he coached in Arizona, he might rely more on the big guys to rush the passer in New York rather than blitzing aggressively as he did in the NFC West.

The addition of Mauldin, however, gives Bowles the talented and passionate edge rusher to continue blitzing when he'd like.

The 6-foot-4, 259 pound Mauldin possesses the burst to cross the face of tackles, as well as quickness and an effective swim move to slip by them. Because he locates the football quickly and plays with passion, Mauldin plays faster than he timed in workouts (4.85 seconds in the 40 yard dash). He's also relatively pro-ready, starring as both a 4-3 defensive end and 3-4 rush linebacker for the Cardinals and showing similar versatility throughout Senior Bowl week.

It isn't just his own talent that could lead to success in the NFL for Mauldin, however. He also could be in line for early playing time. Mauldin joins an outside linebacker group that was led in sacks last year by the 34-year old Calvin Pace, who mustered "only" five quarterback takedowns. Should Bowles elect to blitz with the same abandon in New York that he did in Arizona, Jets fans can expect the club's top rushing outside linebacker to finish better than fifth on the club in sacks in 2015.

After two of the Jets' first three picks were spent on defenders and the other invested in a speed receiver supposedly lacking polish, one couldn't blame Jets fans if wondering if Rex Ryan wasn't still running things.

In his 15 years scouting with the Houston Texans, Mike Macaggnan developed a reputation for taking the best player available route so it wasn't a surprise that his Jets selected Leonard Williams at No. 6 overall, only that the draft's best defender was still on the board. Given that the Jets already boasted one of the league's most talented defensive lines, Williams certainly wasn't a need but he certainly gives the Jets a lot of flexibility. Like Muhammed Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, two of the more gifted defensive linemen already on the roster, Williams possesses impressive power, balance and instincts for the position. He's not a quick-twitch pass rusher, however, which is likely why he "slid" to six in the first place.

Because he was so successful as a big play threat in Ohio State's offense, Devin Smith developed a reputation as a one-trick pony but he possesses the athleticism, balance and toughness to develop into a formidable all-around receiver. Smith isn't there yet but his ability to stretch the field vertically should help open up underneath routes for Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker to exploit.

If Smith is a project, former Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty might be a complete reconstruction. Don't get me wrong, Petty has talent. He has a strong arm, good athleticism and the intangibles to develop into a starting NFL quarterback. His success in Art Briles' relatively simple one-read, shotgun offense, however, doesn't translate particularly well to the NFL. Essentially, Petty will be asked to make two or three times the number of reads in significantly less time than he usually was given in the pocket at Baylor. He may challenge for the starting job after a year of working with Chan Gailey but barring an injury to incumbent Geno Smith, Petty will be playing strictly sideline roles in 2015.

Read more: http://newyorkjetshampur.com/thread/2729/article-mauldin-jets-top-rusher#ixzz3atxfPZpZ

Yeah. You're right. The linebackers should pad their sack numbers with our line and secondary.

Are you ready to give Wilson $20 mil/yr  plus the loss of Williams and Richardson?

I liked this article:

Rob Rang CBS Sports.  

Coples and Mauldin are going to be a hell of a combination on the outside....  I don't see both Pace and Babin making the team.  In fact they could both get beat out...

Are you ready to give Wilson $20 mil/yr  plus the loss of Williams and Richardson?

for a young, really good  qb, I wouldn't hesitate, considering the drought this franchise has had at the porition. stiff price to pay, but imagine how much better the jets would be with a competent qb. seattle is not moving Wilson, so its a moot point,anyways

Call him what you want, DE or OLB, I see Coples being a stalwart on our line.   His best play comes moving forward, not covering in space, and I see no reason to think Bowles won't identify that and play to it. 

That being said, Coples should be our RDE with Sheldon to his left. 

Wilkerson should continue to man the LDE spot, rotating inside with Williams (also on the left side).

That's it.  Four guys.  Standard

Wilk-Williams-Richardson-Coples

On different downs, Snacks will come in and sit in the middle, or we'll have an extra DB, or a pass-rusher (Pace, Babin, Bowens, IK, Mauldin, Rielly), but those FOUR (save the rotation/subbing of the Douzables, Vickersons, Ballardwhatever, Barnes) will be the base.  

i'm guessing that williams kid replaces mo but that's just me

Not in year 1 he doesn't..... now year 2 he could possibly be equal, but Wilkerson is in his prime now and will only get better. Especially having Sheldon a yr. wiser and stronger,

Harrison playing for a big FA contract next year and the secondary being top 5 in the league.

Mo is going to have a HUGE year! Let's enjoy it!

Not in year 1 he doesn't..... now year 2 he could possibly be equal, but Wilkerson is in his prime now and will only get better. Especially having Sheldon a yr. wiser and stronger,

Harrison playing for a big FA contract next year and the secondary being top 5 in the league.

Mo is going to have a HUGE year! Let's enjoy it!

I can't see coples playing LDE with his hand in the dirt much.  it's a better fit for williams

What is the precedent for the return in a trade for a guy like Mo? I've heard people talking about getting multiple 1st round picks which sounds way over the top to me. I'm not even sure if you can get a single 1st round pick for him.

It's not that he isn't a great player, but how many established players can you name that got traded for a 1st round pick? Revis, yeah, in a deal where Idzik ripped off Tampa Bay big time. Harvin maybe? What a mistake that was for Seattle.

If the Jets move Mo and if they move him for anything less than a 1st round pick, then the Williams pick wasn't a value pick at all.

He was taken with a first and has turned out better than anyone thought he would be. How can he not be worth more than a 1st?

1st round pick? Revis, yeah, in a deal where Idzik ripped off Tampa Bay big time.

what do you trade a future hall of famer and the top 10 player at his position thruout history for? nevermind he plays a premium position and in his prime.. granted, he was coming off of an injury and wasn't cheap, but how did tampa get ripped off big time? what do you think the proper compensation should have been?

what do you trade a future hall of famer and the top 10 player at his position thruout history for? nevermind he plays a premium position and in his prime.. granted, he was coming off of an injury and wasn't cheap, but how did tampa get ripped off big time? what do you think the proper compensation should have been?

Leave it a Jet fan to devalue a player from his own team. Best player on his team, best at his position and a HOF player.

He was taken with a first and has turned out better than anyone thought he would be. How can he not be worth more than a 1st plus?

stoicsentry, on 21 May 2015 - 1:38 PM, said:What is the precedent for the return in a trade for a guy like Mo? I've heard people talking about getting multiple 1st round picks which sounds way over the top to me. I'm not even sure if you can get a single 1st round pick for him. It's not that he isn't a great player, but how many established players can you name that got traded for a 1st round pick? Revis, yeah, in a deal where Idzik ripped off Tampa Bay big time. Harvin maybe? What a mistake that was for Seattle. If the Jets move Mo and if they move him for anything less than a 1st round pick, then the Williams pick wasn't a value pick at all.

I agree with both these points.... which tells me we try and lock Mo up on a multi-yr. deal before the season starts. Hard to believe he is only 25.

Coples, Richardson, Williams, Wilkerson and Harrison! Man.... talk about a Dominant DL!

I sure hope the Cap goes up to $160 mil next yr.

The time we really ripped off the Buc's was getting 2 1st rd picks for KJ.. KJ was such a pain Gruden kicked him off the team in 2003..

Archived