• Last Reply

Jets QB Geno Smith rebounds with strong practice at minicamp

1h
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few takeaways from the New York Jets' second minicamp practice:

1. Look, no turnovers for Geno: For those ready to bury Geno Smith after one bad practice, chill out. He rebounded nicely after a three-interception performance on Tuesday. Once again, he took the vast majority of the reps in the team period. This time, he didn't throw any to the wrong team. For the most part, the ball came out quickly and accurately. It was mostly underneath stuff, but he struck deep on one play, finding Walter Powell (yes, really) for a 70-yard touchdown. Ryan Fitzpatrick and rookie Bryce Petty also avoided interceptions, so it was a much better day for the entire passing offense. Head coach Todd Bowles said "the quarterbacks were decent. We just have to be consistent."

Geno Smith and the Jets quarterbacks had an efficient day in minicamp. Seth Wenig/AP Images

2. Even split: For most of the session, Fitzpatrick and Petty split the backup reps. Interesting. In the final period, Fitzpatrick presided over a two-minute drill, which ended like most of the two-minute drills -- a "stop" for the defense. Make no mistake, the defense has dominated the minicamp -- the entire offseason, for that matter. Are you shocked by that? Don't be.

3. Even the greats have an occasional hiccup: That Powell touchdown? The cornerback he beat on the play was none other than Darrelle Revis. It was a stunner all right. Revis misplayed the ball in the air, allowing Powell to get position in the end zone. That might have been the highlight of Powell's career.

4. Vintage Marshall: There was one particular play that highlighted Brandon Marshall's potential value. He was well-covered by Darrin Walls on a sideline pass, but the 6-foot-4 Marshall was able to use his big frame and long arms to reach over the defender to snare the pass from Smith. You know what they say about receivers with a large catching radius: Even when they're covered, they're open.

Before practice, Marshall talked about how much he's looking forward to playing with fellow receiver Eric Decker, another big target. "Alshon" is what he calls Decker, a reference to his former Chicago Bears' sidekick, Alshon Jeffery. In turn, Decker's name for Marshall is "Demaryius" -- a reference to his former Denver Broncos teammate, Demaryius Thomas.

"When it's Decker's time to get the ball, I have to be selfless and run through the seam and carry coverage, run the dummy routes in the seam," Marshall said. "When you're on a team with selfish guys, it makes it hard. Guys won't run through that wall for you. We get it. We've been around the league. We've had success. All we want to do is win."

Everything is great in June.

5. Easy does it: These are supposed to be noncontact practices. Calvin Pryor apparently needs a reminder. In a red-zone drill, the second-year safety lowered his shoulder into tight end Zach Sudfeld, who went down with a leg injury. Sudfeld, perhaps caught off guard, lost his balance and crashed to the turf. He limped off with a trainer. Bowles was none too pleased, saying, "A couple of guys got a little carried away." Rookie linebacker Deion Barnes crashed into Fitzpatrick on a "sack." Bowles said he was planning to address it with the team.

6. Injury report: Walls (leg) and Marshall (stubbed toe) also left practice. Marshall's injury came at the end of practice, conveniently allowing him to sit out the wind sprints. Tight end Jace Amaro (back), rookie wide receiver Devin Smith (personal), guard Willie Colon (knee), running back Stevan Ridley (knee) and cornerback Dee Milliner (Achilles) also didn't practice.

7. Odds and ends: A couple of rookies, defensive end Leonard Williams and linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin, got some work with the first-team nickel package. ... Brent Qvale and Brian Winters shared time at right guard with the starters. ... Nice practice for tight end Jeff Cumberland, who made a couple of grabs in red-zone drills. The offense was significantly better in the red zone than the previous day. ... Safety Rontez Miles was active near the line of scrimmage, but he let a potential interception sail through his hands.

Holy crap can we just let them practice and at least see the team in preseason first before all this nonsense?

No.  Remember the practices when it was Clemens against Pennington and the daily reports on who was ahead?  Of course, at the end it was neither one since they got Favre, but still it was a day-by-day thing as to who was ahead.  This looks like a repeat, except for the Favre part at the end.

No.  Remember the practices when it was Clemens against Pennington and the daily reports on who was ahead?  Of course, at the end it was neither one since they got Favre, but still it was a day-by-day thing as to who was ahead.  This looks like a repeat, except for the Favre part at the end.

When's the last time you threw five hot ones in an NFL practice, son? #Never

Dude I've been one of his defenders - I'm not even a defender I just don't curse the day he was born and declare the season over because Bowles stuck him as 1 on the depth chart in May.

Whatever, you either have to love him or think he's the worst on this message board. Any sort of rational middle ground is not welcome in these here parts.

Shane, jokes aside, your thoughts on Geno this offseason / season?

I think he starts six games before an injury or an "injury wink wink" puts him on the bench, Fitzpatrick gets 8 starts, Bryce Petty mops up for two starts. Jets go 6-10, 7-9, then take a stab at getting Brees next year.

I think he starts six games before an injury or an "injury wink wink" puts him on the bench, Fitzpatrick gets 8 starts, Bryce Petty mops up for two starts. Jets go 6-10, 7-9, then take a stab at getting Brees next year.

I guess I could see that.  I think the rest of the team is good enough, and the schedule is weak enough, to make us (gulp) at worst a 7-9 team.  I could see Geno holding serve, being mediocre (Sanchez 2010 or hopefully a little better?) and guiding us to 10-6.

I guess I could see that. I think the rest of the team is good enough, and the schedule is weak enough, to make us (gulp) at worst a 7-9 team. I could see Geno holding serve, being mediocre (Sanchez 2010 or hopefully a little better?) and guiding us to 10-6.

I'd love to see it, but I don't know that I can put any faith in Geno to improve too much. There's something missing upstairs with the guy, which is unfortunate

I'd love to see it, but I don't know that I can put any faith in Geno to improve too much. There's something missing upstairs with the guy, which is unfortunate

Agree.  Pretty maddening to have a big, athletic QB that can stripe literally any throw on the field......but who might be a dumbass.  Sigh.

Archived