Sheldon Richardson Suspended

Maxman

I have to say you could replace the word marijuana with alcohol and it would be the same thing. People that are susceptible to addiction in general are the ones that ruin their potential. Unless there addiction is their career, then they usually ruin their families trying to reach their potential.

You be pretty shocked who drink booze and thrive. Tom Petty could have been an opera singer not the one octave drone that he is if he didn't smoke pot ( that was a joke)

But Weed doesn't do anything but coat the brain cells with THC. It makes you hungry. It can make you a little sleepy. Its a plant. In order for it to be a drug it has to be man made. Don't sit here tell me its a drug when you watch your friend come down from methamphetamine for 4 days compared to sitting down and relaxing with a joint after a hard day at work. I'm not going go stay on this because It isn't for this board but please don't argue blindly with ignorance. Present valid facts..

PS. Aint it some sh*t pain pills which I have seen people itch and fiend for are for sale and green isn't? Trust me.. Pot may not be someone's things... But don't act like its harmful.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way too much info - let me guess you smoked pot before you sucked. Richardson has a dependency problem. Not really that complicated. Wishing it away that it is not a drug is absurd. You toke you get high because it binds to the brain cells. Pretty simple really.

Ummm I'm not being mean or judgmental but this is to much information.

Wow!! Generational / Cultural gap there eh?

That line of weed not being a drug, he sucked dick for coke is a HILARIOUS line said by Bob Sagat from the HILARIOUS movie Half Baked.

But Weed doesn't do anything but coat the brain cells with THC. It makes you hungry. It can make you a little sleepy. Its a plant. In order for it to be a drug it has to be man made. Don't sit here tell me its a drug when you watch your friend come down from methamphetamine for 4 days compared to sitting down and relaxing with a joint after a hard day at work. I'm not going go stay on this because It isn't for this board but please don't argue blindly with ignorance. Present valid facts..

PS. Aint it some sh*t pain pills which I have seen people itch and fiend for are for sale and green isn't? Trust me.. Pot may not be someone's things... But don't act like its harmful.

Your definition of a drug is wrong. There are drugs that are 'naturally' occurring and man made. There are poisonous plants that can kill if ingested. Chemicals drugs whatever.Look up digitalis as proof

Rob Guerrera
‏@StatsNBCSports
NFL Network's @AlbertBreer on suspensions in the NFL: "We're not done today. More of these are coming."

Albert BreerVerified account
‏@AlbertBreer
I think those four will be it for today. So fans of the other 28 teams can rest easy ... For now.

Here I was wondering what the NFL was going to do for 21+ days of no Football.  They are going to drip feed you these suspensions.  Just 28 more teams to go!

Not sure why you pulled my quote into that reply lol, I was arguing in your favor :)  

Your definition of a drug is wrong. There are drugs that are 'naturally' occurring and man made. There are poisonous plants that can kill if ingested. Chemicals drugs whatever.Look up digitalis as proof

We are classifying poisonous plants under drugs because you feel like it now? Okay then...... Only natural chemicals that get you high that are poisonous is mushrooms. The chemical is psilocybin.. Which is also natural and not a drug lmao. Care to take another swing?

My best friend died of weed, so I'd appreciate it if people would cool it with the jokes

This is impossible unless allergic or was dabbing/edibles of extremely high THC (This is the man made part that you could consider a drug)  And if it is true, my condolences.

Wow!! Generational / Cultural gap there eh?

That line of weed not being a drug, he sucked dick for coke is a HILARIOUS line said by Bob Sagat from the HILARIOUS movie Half Baked.

You know that is fine about the cultural gap etc. But there is a point to that statement, people will suck dick for coke. That rarely if ever will happen with alcohol or marijuana. That is the difference between dependency and addiction. This discussion is about casual and somewhat habitual use not addictive drug use that can effect one's cognitive status. Cocaine and drugs like heroin put you on the fast track to addiction.

We are classifying poisonous plants under drugs because you feel like it now? Okay then...... Only natural chemicals that get you high that are poisonous is mushrooms. The chemical is psilocybin.. Which is also natural and not a drug lmao. Care to take another swing?

http://m.mensxp.com/health/natural-remedies/8088-naturally-occurring-psychedelic-drugs.html

your move.

You know that is fine about the cultural gap etc. But there is a point to that statement, people will suck dick for coke. That rarely if ever will happen with alcohol or marijuana. That is the difference between dependency and addiction. This discussion is about casual and somewhat habitual use not addictive drug use that can effect one's cognitive status. Cocaine and drugs like heroin put you on the fast track to addiction.

yah seriously there are a lot of great metaphors in the film. there's this one scene where clarence williams tries to have thurgood killed with a crossbow and when i saw it i was like wow this is real life here.

yah seriously there are a lot of great metaphors in the film. there's this one scene where clarence williams tries to have thurgood killed with a crossbow and when i saw it i was like wow this is real life here.

It sound like something I might like. Correct me if I'm wrong this is the comedian who comes off as goody two shoes on TV? Never have seen his raunchy side.

It sound like something I might like. Correct me if I'm wrong this is the comedian who comes off as goody two shoes on TV? Never have seen his raunchy side.

yah its real raunchy and intelligent one of his friends throws a burger at a guy and another names a horse butternuts. vry poignant film that says a lot about our society and drugs.

This isn't even weed... These are psychedelic drugs. And they are natural... What do you want me to say? And they are NOT addictive.

No just pointing out that many drugs occur naturally. You said they were only man made. Nothing to do with weed. Many drugs are naturally produced and man just presents it in a palatable or practical way to ingest.

Very disappointed with Sheldon when you consider how merciful & redemptive the Substance Abuse policy is in the NFL. The fact that it's a 4th infraction that has already hit his pocket and he still has not learned is a bad indicator, but his talented motor will trump all decisions in the end. A caller to the Don LaGreca show this afternoon on NY ESPN radio stated it perfectly:

THERE'S ALWAYS SOMETHING in the off season that makes you say as a fan - "what have my Jets done now?"

Next man up, and the Williams pick is all the more validated because you never have enough depth in today's NFL.

this also creates a SIGNIFICANT bargaining chip on Sheldon's extension talks with a 1yr suspension looming.

Bowles has done A LOT more with significantly less before, our defense will be fine.

Nice post but Richardson has a serious problem. His contracts will now have a clause in it regarding his potential 1 year suspension.

Weed definitely affects your brain, but much like alcohol, it really depends on the person's susceptibility to addiction.  I don't really buy into the legality of many things, because when there are multi billion  dollar companies lobbying for the rights, these rules about public safety get thrown out the window.  Cigarettes have been pretty much proven to directly cause cancer, yet it took decades and a massive whistle blowing scandal to even get it remotely regulated.  

Alcohol effects the liver drastically, because it breaks it down as if it's poison, and this effects thousands of people who die from liver cirrhosis every year.  Yet, if you turn on your tv, what is it that you see?  Are you sad? Have some alcohol.  Happy?  Celebrate with alcohol!  Get together?  Party it up with alcohol!  Alone?  Kick back, have a beer or wine!  Pretty any situation and emotion you experience, there is set precedent to involve alcohol.   Subliminal advertising is grey matter in law, and pretty much anything that isn't directly deceiving can go through because it's impossible to prove intent without insider knowledge.   Opium was legal at one point and time too, infact encouraged.  

I've seen plenty of people function just fine on marijuana, especially in college.  People with perfect GPAs because they learned to structure their lives around the drug.  Many actually would be proactive about the work they needed to do, instead of procrastinating like most, because they knew they wouldn't be able to do it later because of their drug habits.  On the same token, seem plenty of people drop out of college with high potential because they were too encompassed with the drug culture to actually dedicate time to the other things that were important in their life.  People, that when push came to shove chose to get high than actually do work.  Plenty of anecdotal evidence on both aspects of it.  

So as weed becomes legal across more states, don't look at the face value aspect of it, look at what's driving the government's choices behind it.  Tax.  It's revenue, in a recovering economy, out of nothing.  Same reason why cigarettes are still legal, even though almost every study indicates that it has horrible side effects for you.   As long as it's borderline defensible, the government and the companies are going to go where the money is, and that is in business.  

Are there long term effects?  Most likely.  You are effecting the normal reactions of neurotransmitters and cannabinoid receptors, likely to lead to long terms reduction in brain function.  What most people are arguing is the right to actually take that chance belongs to the individual (ala cigarettes) and not the government.  And that, much like people who get fired because of alcohol affecting their work, the same shall happen for people with drug issues because if they are lacking in work, the cause shouldn't be of concern to the employer as long as they aren't liable of aiding it.  

I happen to think weed should be legal, mainly because this is the information age.  There is plenty of information out there for people to learn about the effects, and choose if they want to take part in it or not, much the same way someone picks up alcohol or cigarettes.  Eventually, if people do get sick long term, they can blame themselves.  However, I also agree with the NFL and any private institution testing for drugs/alcohol because it does impair your abilities, and that affects the organization. 

Weed definitely affects your brain, but much like alcohol, it really depends on the person's susceptibility to addiction. I don't really buy into the legality of many things, because when there are multi billion dollar companies lobbying for the rights, these rules about public safety get thrown out the window. Cigarettes have been pretty much proven to directly cause cancer, yet it took decades and a massive whistle blowing scandal to even get it remotely regulated.

Alcohol effects the liver drastically, because it breaks it down as if it's poison, and this effects thousands of people who die from liver cirrhosis every year. Yet, if you turn on your tv, what is it that you see? Are you sad? Have some alcohol. Happy? Celebrate with alcohol! Get together? Party it up with alcohol! Alone? Kick back, have a beer or wine! Pretty any situation and emotion you experience, there is set precedent to involve alcohol. Subliminal advertising is grey matter in law, and pretty much anything that isn't directly deceiving can go through because it's impossible to prove intent without insider knowledge. Opium was legal at one point and time too, infact encouraged.

I've seen plenty of people function just fine on marijuana, especially in college. People with perfect GPAs because they learned to structure their lives around the drug. Many actually would be proactive about the work they needed to do, instead of procrastinating like most, because they knew they wouldn't be able to do it later because of their drug habits. On the same token, seem plenty of people drop out of college with high potential because they were too encompassed with the drug culture to actually dedicate time to the other things that were important in their life. People, that when push came to shove chose to get high than actually do work. Plenty of anecdotal evidence on both aspects of it.

So as weed becomes legal across more states, don't look at the face value aspect of it, look at what's driving the government's choices behind it. Tax. It's revenue, in a recovering economy, out of nothing. Same reason why cigarettes are still legal, even though almost every study indicates that it has horrible side effects for you. As long as it's borderline defensible, the government and the companies are going to go where the money is, and that is in business.

Are there long term effects? Most likely. You are effecting the normal reactions of neurotransmitters and cannabinoid receptors, likely to lead to long terms reduction in brain function. What most people are arguing is the right to actually take that chance belongs to the individual (ala cigarettes) and not the government. And that, much like people who get fired because of alcohol affecting their work, the same shall happen for people with drug issues because if they are lacking in work, the cause shouldn't be of concern to the employer as long as they aren't liable of aiding it.

I happen to think weed should be legal, mainly because this is the information age. There is plenty of information out there for people to learn about the effects, and choose if they want to take part in it or not, much the same way someone picks up alcohol or cigarettes. Eventually, if people do get sick long term, they can blame themselves. However, I also agree with the NFL and any private institution testing for drugs/alcohol because it does impair your abilities, and that affects the organization.

Good post.

You're forgetting the prison industrial complex though. Police unions, probation officers, prison guards, courts.. Etc. It's a massive money maker at the expense of other people's freedom.

God forbid people truly were free there'd be a lot of other people out of jobs. And on top of that, I personally find the 'I know what's best for you' crowd to simply be disgusting people. But that's just me.

I'm going to end my rant there so as to not get this thread locked, as there is actually some good discussions going on here and there.

Weed definitely affects your brain, but much like alcohol, it really depends on the person's susceptibility to addiction. I don't really buy into the legality of many things, because when there are multi billion dollar companies lobbying for the rights, these rules about public safety get thrown out the window. Cigarettes have been pretty much proven to directly cause cancer, yet it took decades and a massive whistle blowing scandal to even get it remotely regulated.

Alcohol effects the liver drastically, because it breaks it down as if it's poison, and this effects thousands of people who die from liver cirrhosis every year. Yet, if you turn on your tv, what is it that you see? Are you sad? Have some alcohol. Happy? Celebrate with alcohol! Get together? Party it up with alcohol! Alone? Kick back, have a beer or wine! Pretty any situation and emotion you experience, there is set precedent to involve alcohol. Subliminal advertising is grey matter in law, and pretty much anything that isn't directly deceiving can go through because it's impossible to prove intent without insider knowledge. Opium was legal at one point and time too, infact encouraged.

I've seen plenty of people function just fine on marijuana, especially in college. People with perfect GPAs because they learned to structure their lives around the drug. Many actually would be proactive about the work they needed to do, instead of procrastinating like most, because they knew they wouldn't be able to do it later because of their drug habits. On the same token, seem plenty of people drop out of college with high potential because they were too encompassed with the drug culture to actually dedicate time to the other things that were important in their life. People, that when push came to shove chose to get high than actually do work. Plenty of anecdotal evidence on both aspects of it.

So as weed becomes legal across more states, don't look at the face value aspect of it, look at what's driving the government's choices behind it. Tax. It's revenue, in a recovering economy, out of nothing. Same reason why cigarettes are still legal, even though almost every study indicates that it has horrible side effects for you. As long as it's borderline defensible, the government and the companies are going to go where the money is, and that is in business.

Are there long term effects? Most likely. You are effecting the normal reactions of neurotransmitters and cannabinoid receptors, likely to lead to long terms reduction in brain function. What most people are arguing is the right to actually take that chance belongs to the individual (ala cigarettes) and not the government. And that, much like people who get fired because of alcohol affecting their work, the same shall happen for people with drug issues because if they are lacking in work, the cause shouldn't be of concern to the employer as long as they aren't liable of aiding it.

I happen to think weed should be legal, mainly because this is the information age. There is plenty of information out there for people to learn about the effects, and choose if they want to take part in it or not, much the same way someone picks up alcohol or cigarettes. Eventually, if people do get sick long term, they can blame themselves. However, I also agree with the NFL and any private institution testing for drugs/alcohol because it does impair your abilities, and that affects the organization.

Very informative.

Really don't know too many people who call out after a shot of whiskey. This is your evidence that Marijuana smokers don't call out of work? Pot heads lose ambition that is a fact - maybe they don't call out of work because they can sit there inspecting their navels on stagnant jobs. Don't try to rationalize habitual pot smokers. It kills the soul - I have had too many friends smoke this sh*t on a regular basis to know they lose their drive and ruin their potential. Function sure but not at their potential. Alcohol is detrimental when you are an alcoholic - Marijauna is insidious and and slowly suffocates the daily 'casual' user.

thank you Mr. Anslinger.

Good post.

You're forgetting the prison industrial complex though. Police unions, probation officers, prison guards, courts.. Etc. It's a massive money maker at the expense of other people's freedom.

God forbid people truly were free there'd be a lot of other people out of jobs. And on top of that, I personally find the 'I know what's best for you' crowd to simply be disgusting people. But that's just me.

I'm going to end my rant there so as to not get this thread locked, as there is actually some good discussions going on here and there.

Thanks.

I think those resources just get reallocated elsewhere that money can't come from.  People get high and pay nice tax for it? Great, more money coming in.  All the resources that were allocated to use against weed, lets distribute it to something that has extremely untapped potential in others areas like say cyber crime.  Somewhat educated criminals usually with money? And in most cases non violent?  That's a judiciary gold mine waiting to be tapped into with much greater force, so any of the unions that would decry the lax rules on marijuana would be more than happy when the money flows from other areas.  If there is anything any society doesn't lack, it's criminals.  

I think that's a slippery slope, but you also have to factor in history.  The advent and widespread use of the internet really changes the way the world functions.  Say 25 years ago, to know about the adverse effects of something like drugs, you either had to go and talk directly to a doctor (or a person of expertise directly in the field in which you are concerned with), gather anecdotal incidents to draw conclusions (that may or may not be correct, but highly dependent on the culture around you), study a great deal about the matter or have the government regulate substances for you so you know which is dangerous and which is not.  So by old standards, the government, in theory atleast, has to function as a watch dog.  One such example would be say the regulation of polonium, incredibly toxic element, that most people wouldn't know much about.  In this case, the government is right in preventing it being available on the free market because it's established to be dangerous, and the methods to be educated about such elements takes extraordinary measures, that it's perfectly feasible for the government after through research and reports to play watchdogs.  

Now, as the tide turns, and the information age comes about, it's the borderline ones that may seem asinine, but it's a continuation of government control throughout history.  No longer do you need anecdotal evidence, nor talk to a doctor.  You can research plenty of studies online, plenty of boards, talk directly to countless people who have experience, and then draw your own conclusions.   That wasn't the case 25 years ago.  If it was 25 years ago, I wouldn't support the legalization of weed, because too many people wouldn't have the necessary information to make a decision.  Now developed countries have that information, so there is less need for the government to interfere because you are more likely to have access to the information needed.  Ignorance wouldn't be an acceptable defense.    

In the case of weed, there are plenty of information for people to make choices about.  And that's the same idea with cigarettes and alcohol.  All across the world, governments go out of their way to let you know it's bad, injurious to your health.  No one cares that much if you stop doing it or not, just that you know the consequences, so when you open that bottle, you did so with your free will.  

But I don't want to go too deep here either, because this is going to get side tracked into politics soon, and I like to avoid talking about politics.   

Very informative.

Thanks.  

Also, to get back on topic.  

What would you think is the trade value of Sheldon right now?  He has 2 more years on his rookie contract, with a 5th year option.  I believe this suspension puts him at Stage 2 of the Drug Program, and by rule he has to be on that for 2 years (unless the medical adviser decides to let him go out of the program after one year, which seems unlikely to me) and if he fails again, then he would presumably get a 6 game suspension and placed in Stage 3.   And once in Stage 3, you can be placed in that Stage for your entire career (but the medical adviser can re-evaluate your situation after 2 years) and face a 10 game suspension for marijuana.  

So essentially, Sheldon is on thin ice now, similar to the situations of Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon.  We saw their trade values take a nice dip, so I just wanted to see where Sheldon would be valued right now.  

Archived