Another year, another Competition Tilted in Geno Smith's Favor

flgreen

LOL

Yeah, week 10 is going to be a hoot if Smith is still the starter

What if we play musical QB's to boot?  So juicy.

#rexorcism

#breakingrex

Don't forget "promising a player they'll take him if he's there before the draft".  A few months ago that was a clear sign of incompetence.  Once Bowles did it...no big deal.

If they run this competition the same way Rex did with Vick and Smith I'll be convinced that Bowles read all the Rex hate threads and made it a point to repeat almost every single thing Rex got slammed for just for kicks.

Ohhhh forgot about that.  You could add praising his players in the media too.  

But, it's all good because no super bowl guarantees. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why bother with a competition? it's only the most important position on the team. 

Better to give the job away and hope for the best. That always works. 

It's been the cornerstone of our success, what was that 'by the numbers', oh yes: The last time the Jets had a top-10 passing offense was 2000.

Best not to rattle our starter, the worst starting QB in the NFL the past 2 seasons, with the possibility that his starting job is in question. He might get nervous and play poorly! 

What if we play musical QB's to boot?  So juicy.

#breakingrex

Ohhhh forgot about that.  You could add praising his players in the media too.  

But, it's all good because no super bowl guarantees. 

I saw a bit of "every sign of Rex needs to out of here and no more paying washed up veterans because they're your buddy" lunatics during the season.

New regime re-signs Harris, Colon and Pace and those are "smart moves to lock up experienced vets".

Good stuff.

It makes total sense, given the preseason and regular season Geno is having so far in 2015 it's obvious the Coaching Staff is just putting him in because they like black QB's.  In fact I'm sure they signed Fitzpatrick just so they can oppress and "obviously" much better white QB.  I mean, amirite or what!

Ok Bowles is a Rex clone -not

He's not a Rex clone at all...but in a short time we've seen a lot of the same things we saw under Rex and that's what makes it funny if you're impartial.  I liked Rex and I like Bowles, therefore I had/have no motive to  lose my mind when something happens that isn't a big deal.  Several people said that Rex telling Coples he'd draft him was an amateur move that signaled incompetence.  I tried telling people that a lot of head coaches do that and was told I was only saying that to defend Rex. 

Bowles did the same exact thing with Williams, and those same people who said it was an amateur move were suddenly cool with it. 

They have not even gone to training camp to make any conclusions- Bowles will be determined once we start there and ongoing.

Agreed...but the off-filed stuff has been pretty funny so far.  I'm sure that once the season gets going we'll see even more differences between Rex and Bowles.  Rex had his strengths but also had some weaknesses that I don't think we'll see from Bowles.

He's not a Rex clone at all...but in a short time we've seen a lot of the same things we saw under Rex and that's what makes it funny if you're impartial.  I liked Rex and I like Bowles, therefore I had/have no motive to  lose my mind when something happens that isn't a big deal.  Several people said that Rex telling Coples he'd draft him was an amateur move that signaled incompetence.  I tried telling people that a lot of head coaches do that and was told I was only saying that to defend Rex. 

Bowles did the same exact thing with Williams, and those same people who said it was an amateur move were suddenly cool with it. 

Telling a guy who you pretty much know will be there that you will pick him is far different that telling the top guy in the draft, who you don't expect to be there that you would take him if he fell to you.  But either way, neither is wrong.  

Actually Chan said that barring injury, Smith would be the opening day starter.   Bowles clarified it a bit sying a decision hasn't been made on the opening day starter, but Smith would be the starter going into camp, and get most of the 1st team reps.

Very concerning.

They both said the same thing just slightly differently.  Both are on board as of right now, the whole plan and the whole execution in TC will be with the expectations that Geno is the opening day starter, barring injury or self destruction.  

I don't think Bowles did this, if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure in a video interview McCags was the one that told Williams if you are there at 6 we'll def draft you.  Someone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong!  I'm susceptible of mixing people up :P

I saw a bit of "every sign of Rex needs to out of here and no more paying washed up veterans because they're your buddy" lunatics during the season.

New regime re-signs Harris, Colon and Pace and those are "smart moves to lock up experienced vets".

Good stuff.

Hard to say at the moment until the games start rolling around but I think a lot of peoples problems with Rex and Vets sans the "special treatment" cases, is the fact that he would always start a vet over giving his young guys live game experience.  Especially late in seasons when there wasn't much on the line.  I feel Bowles is bringing vets along as the experience and locker room leaders to help depth and grooming younger guys (Time will tell if true).  Rex just wasn't about younger guys and developing them, he is much more acclimated to working with Vets.  This is why his first 2 years were good, the team had a lot of vets, after the first 2 years when we started to get younger and bring in new talent he struggled to develop. (Also why I expect him to be very good in Buffalo this year too)

I expect Harris to still play a lot as he should.  I expect very diminished on field rolls for Colon and Pace this year.

I don't think Bowles did this, if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure in a video interview McCags was the one that told Williams if you are there at 6 we'll def draft you.  Someone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong!  I'm susceptible of mixing people up :tongue:

in the team's press release following the pick Williams said Bowles told him the Jets would take him if he was there.  It's no big deal...teams/coaches do it all the time and that's fine.  Some fans say there's something wrong with it depending on who the coach is but I would disagree.

Hard to say at the moment until the games start rolling around but I think a lot of peoples problems with Rex and Vets sans the "special treatment" cases, is the fact that he would always start a vet over giving his young guys live game experience.  Especially late in seasons when there wasn't much on the line.  I feel Bowles is bringing vets along as the experience and locker room leaders to help depth and grooming younger guys (Time will tell if true).  Rex just wasn't about younger guys and developing them, he is much more acclimated to working with Vets.  This is why his first 2 years were good, the team had a lot of vets, after the first 2 years when we started to get younger and bring in new talent he struggled to develop. (Also why I expect him to be very good in Buffalo this year too)

I expect Harris to still play a lot as he should.  I expect very diminished on field rolls for Colon and Pace this year.

Rex really screwed the younger players over last season and it was terrible to watch.  I would have loved to of seen IK and Reilly get some reps over Babin and Pace as well as Dozier and Enunwa.  I think he hoped winning a few games down the stretch would save his job.  We'll never know if he was right or not, but the rooks were the ones who suffered most IMO.

in the team's press release following the pick Williams said Bowles told him the Jets would take him if he was there.  It's no big deal...teams/coaches do it all the time and that's fine.  Some fans say there's something wrong with it depending on who the coach is but I would disagree.

I don't even understand.  Why would there be anything wrong with it?  Coach isn't bound to it.  I've seen players say in the past, usually players who have slid a bit, say coaches told them they would take them, and didn't.  Now they want to show them they made a mistake.

In all the posts we had here on the Jets pick, I can't remember anyone picking Williams.  No one thought he would be there.  If Bowles/Macc had told another player, if he was there he would take him, then Williams unexpectedly slid, and they took Willams, How does that hurt the Jets? 

I don't even understand.  Why would there be anything wrong with it?  Coach isn't bound to it.  I've seen players say in the past, usually players who have slid a bit, say coaches told them they would take them, and didn't.  Now they want to show them they made a mistake.

In all the posts we had here on the Jets pick, I can't remember anyone picking Williams.  No one thought he would be there.  If Bowles/Macc had told another player, if he was there he would take him, then Williams unexpectedly slid, and they took Willams, How does that hurt the Jets? 

There's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't hurt anybody.  I tried explaining this to fans who said that doing so indicates incompetence on the part of the HC but they'd have none of it.  They were convinced that Rex was the only HC who would do such a thing.  Once Bowles did it...they went quiet on the topic.

Anyway...back on topic......I hope the QB competition is real and each guy gets a legit shot to win.  Geno winning it would be  a good thing for the future.  If he doesn't show improvement and Fitz wins it then they gotta' draft another QB IMO.

Thanks for clarification, I wasn't sure if Bowles said it, and I agree I don't see any issue with doing that.

AFJF, on 20 Jul 2015 - 3:52 PM, said:

Rex really screwed the younger players over last season and it was terrible to watch.  I would have loved to of seen IK and Reilly get some reps over Babin and Pace as well as Dozier and Enunwa.  I think he hoped winning a few games down the stretch would save his job.  We'll never know if he was right or not, but the rooks were the ones who suffered most IMO.

Yeah this was my biggest problem with Rex.  He always sided with his Vets to the detriment of the younger developmental players.  It was most apparent last year but there has always been evidence he felt this way throughout his tenure.  

Anyway...back on topic......I hope the QB competition is real and each guy gets a legit shot to win.  Geno winning it would be  a good thing for the future.  If he doesn't show improvement and Fitz wins it then they gotta' draft another QB IMO.

Agreed, I think you keep Fitz around for another year, work up Petty to see if he has the ability at the NFL level and look to find an immediate upgrade to either if Petty hasn't progressed to the point they want next year.

Thats the way you should feel if you don't want to see Geno starting on opening day.  But very few HC's want to be in a position where its a real open competition, who ever wins starts situation.  

Apparently that's exactly what happened in 2012 in the Seahawks training camp they signed Matt Flynn to start but their 3 rd pick beat him out in camp.. :sick0017:  

Apparently that's exactly what happened in 2012 in the Seahawks training camp they signed Matt Flynn to start but their 3 rd pick beat him out in camp.. :sick0017:

I bet they thought it would be Tavares Jackson providing the heat. Wilson just looked so much better, looked great while Flynn sucked. Bradway!

Either way, still don't think any HC wants it. Especially when you never know, could backfire. Like Todd vs Matt Robinsn.

Does sound like the job is Geno's to lose.  But I do think he will have a short leash (prob 3-4 games) where he can be replaced.  If that ends up costing us the playoffs then our staff will have to be held responsible.  Of course, if it works out, our staff will deserve the credit for it.  Just saying that to not presuppose anything (even though I have zero faith in Geno).

Unbelievable. Absolutely unreal.

If Geno gets the edge in this competition, than it shows that the CIRCUS truly hasn't left town!

Geno is a TERRIBLE QB and belongs NOWHERE near an NFL roster!!!!!

I'm not going to say I disagree with you, but I like the Gailey hire so if he says Geno should get the nod over Fitz who has been a much better QB then I'll have no problem with it.

I can't decide what's worse. All the Geno threads or all the hall monitors complaining that those threads are not appropriate. Chicken and egg kinda thing.

No ones saying the Geno-hatred threads are inappropriate - they're just lame.

There's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't hurt anybody.  I tried explaining this to fans who said that doing so indicates incompetence on the part of the HC but they'd have none of it.  They were convinced that Rex was the only HC who would do such a thing.  Once Bowles did it...they went quiet on the topic.

Back off topic:  The funny thing to me is that the guy everybody points to is Coples.  Rex told Coples if he was there the Jets were going to draft him, but in 2012 the Jets supposedly had a huge hard-on for Bruce Irvin and even called Seattle to curse them out for taking their guy one pick earlier.

Back off topic:  The funny thing to me is that the guy everybody points to is Coples.  Rex told Coples if he was there the Jets were going to draft him, but in 2012 the Jets supposedly had a huge hard-on for Bruce Irvin and even called Seattle to curse them out for taking their guy one pick eariler.

Yep...the draft has some crazy ups and downs.  Promises are made and broken by coaches and GM's routinely, but when it's done by certain people then it's the end of the world.

Yep...the draft has some crazy ups and downs. Promises are made and broken by coaches and GM's routinely, but when it's done by certain people then it's the end of the world.

I think the difference is that Rex is a moron who needed to be kept far away from personnel matters, who promised a sh*t player like Coples he'd be taken if and when he fell down the boards because he was sh*t.

Archived