Jets' no-name rookie tosses aside linemen in head turner

flgreen

Necro'ing the draft thread will be fun if Mauldin ends up starting as a rookie... while Duke Johnson is buried as the 3rd RB in Cleveland.

What does "necro'ing" mean?  I remember the post-draft coverage btw and the Jets got "dinged" for taking a reach in Mauldin.  I realize the post-draft analysis is a winner in the ratings but it's all so silly (of course, I watch it - lol).  How can anyone know who's really good until they prove it on the field.

What does "necro'ing" mean?  I remember the post-draft coverage btw and the Jets got "dinged" for taking a reach in Mauldin.  I realize the post-draft analysis is a winner in the ratings but it's all so silly (of course, I watch it - lol).  How can anyone know who's really good until they prove it on the field.

Going back to a old thread..

Bumping a thread to rub something in someone's face and winning at the internet.

I never saw Mauldin called a reach, just saw a sh*t fit thrown here when we didn't take Eli Harold or Duke Johnson. 

I, too, thought Mauldin was a reach, and I can "necro" old threads to prove it.

It's okay.  I predicted the Jets would win 10 games last year and make the playoffs and Geno would progress by the end of the year to be a good QB.  :)

I thought Mauldin was a reach. I think we should have taken Odighizuwa instead of trading down.

Cool story.

Sh*t fit he says.

It's an American classic.

I, too, thought Mauldin was a reach, and I can "necro" old threads to prove it.

I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Bumping a thread to rub something in someone's face and winning at the internet.

I never saw Mauldin called a reach, just saw a sh*t fit thrown here when we didn't take Eli Harold or Duke Johnson. 

Fact is that we needed someone to play the strong side, and set the edge because Coples, and IK are much better, at this point than Pace.

Darth Mauldin may not have had the sack numbers of Harold but he's stronger, smarter, and more instinctive. He was asked to line up all over the field, and not just to pin his ears back.

He was not highly touted by the draft sites, but he was well known by NFL scouts.

and necroing is obviously a play on raising from the dead.

I was hoping Mac would have taken Grayson (QB) in the third round instead some no name OLB.  However at this point I stand corrected.  Mauldin is beginning to look like a pretty good pick.

First of all just because you never heard of him didn't make him a no name; most draft boards had him going in the 3rd round.  He is not beginning to look like a good pick; he was a good pick when he was drafted and nothing that has happened so far has changed that. If anything he may turn out to be a steal. 

I think I took him in the "Gatheting of the Nerds III", otherwise known as the "JetNation Mock Draft" so that would make me a genius too, just like Big Mac.

I doubt Big Mac would have missed 3-4 picks when given 12 hrs to make each pick, though. Haha.

Mauldin makes Shadetree a genius. Pure Genius.

GO MAULDIN!!!!

...but, seriously, when was last time we had a lights out OLB? It drives me crazy the lack of production weve had in the last XX years from OLB position.

First of all just because you never heard of him didn't make him a no name; most draft boards had him going in the 3rd round.  He is not beginning to look like a good pick; he was a good pick when he was drafted and nothing that has happened so far has changed that. If anything he may turn out to be a steal. 

I see I should have been more specific.  After we selected him I looked at all the tape I could find and to me he looked as good as any of those that were touted to be first rounders.   The problem was that I didn't think any of those first rounders would be worth a damn.  So with him in the 3rd round I wasn't upset.  It's just that I liked Grayson a lot for the 3rd round.   

Now it seems like he might even be better than I expected.

I see I should have been more specific.  After we selected him I looked at all the tape I could find and to me he looked as good as any of those that were touted to be first rounders.   The problem was that I didn't think any of those first rounders would be worth a damn.  So with him in the 3rd round I wasn't upset.  It's just that I liked Grayson a lot for the 3rd round.   

Now it seems like he might even be better than I expected.

Yeah I will admit I wasn't that knowledgeable about him but I did see him drafted on some of the mock drafts going around.   After reading up on him, watching some of his film (admittedly highlights), and the adversity he went through to get this point, I was very high on him.  I am happy to see him flash but it is still very early.  Playing in Bowles defense I think, in time, he can become a Pro Bowl caliber player.    Grayson may be good at some point but getting Petty in round 4 more than made up for passing on him for me.  

I thought Mauldin was a reach. I think we should have taken Odighizuwa instead of trading down.

Why? He was projected to go early to mid 3rd round and that is when he was drafted.  Regarding OO we didn't need another DE we needed a OLB.  

Archived