Newsday: Jets claimed S Ronald Martin from SEA

C Mart

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/ronald_martin_scouting_report_highlight_reel_for_j.html#incart_river

STRENGTHS:

Physical, box-safety linebacker. Plays through the whistle and relishes contact. Played as an additional linebacker against physical, run-based teams in Wisconsin and Arkansas. Disengages quickly in run support and will take on blockers to keep contain when called on. Can cover tight ends and shows adequate ball skills. Reacts quickly to throws in his area. Emotional leader on the field.

WEAKNESSES:

Average athlete with average play speed. Has coverage limitations. Struggles when asked to match up with speed in space. He's a tick slow to get through his route recognition at times. Shows some reckless traits in open field as a tackler. Steams downhill at suspect angles. Short-area change of direction issues limit him as a tackler against running backs with shake.

BOTTOM LINE:

Loves football and brings physicality and competitiveness to each snap. Limited in coverage and as a functional athlete. His best bet is to make it as a situational sub and core special-teamer. 

@KMart_LI: Source: #Jets claimed S Ronald Martin from SEA

Not good for Miles

Miles was cut. Should have been Pryor. Jets have got to get a safety that can either cover or tackle, because they don't have one right now. That is a glaring weakness on an otherwise stellar defense. Watch how TE's give them fits.

They cut Miles after picking up Martin. Miles played very well in preseason, he deserves to be on the 53 man roster. Wish they would have picked someone else to cut. 

They cut Miles because he isn't as good a player as you think and as good as Martin.  Never go the love affair with Miles.  Then again didn;t get the over the top love for Westerman, Ratty, Clowney etc

They cut Miles because he isn't as good a player as you think and as good as Martin.  Never go the love affair with Miles.  Then again didn;t get the over the top love for Westerman, Ratty, Clowney etc

Fans will have their favorites every year, but there's no way they cut Miles after watching him for months if he fit their system. Obviously, they think Martin is better.

Miles was cut. Should have been Pryor. Jets have got to get a safety that can either cover or tackle, because they don't have one right now. That is a glaring weakness on an otherwise stellar defense. Watch how TE's give them fits.

Miles isn't anywhere near as good as Pryor.  

Thats what I said :D

I am not sure he cn spend another year on our PS

via nj.com

To make room for Martin on the 53-man roster, the Jets waived safety Rontez Miles. Miles, who was on the practice squad the last two seasons, had a terrific camp. He does still have practice squad eligibility.

Fans will have their favorites every year, but there's no way they cut Miles after watching him for months if he fit their system. Obviously, they think Martin is better.

Who cares how long he was in the system.  This isn't rocket science where a better player cant learn a system.  If they think Martin is better, i believe them.  I don't think Miles was all that good 

Stupid, cut our first round pick after one season?

#smh

Todd Bowles on Ronald Martin compared to Rontez Miles…

He’s more (of a) free (safety). Rontez had a great camp and I told him that myself. I thought he was the most improved guy, but that doesn’t mean he was ready. There are still some things he has to learn, but I think he was getting there. Just to have him on the team, I thought he needed a little bit more time and I’d love to work with the guy and we watched Martin on tape and he did some good things in Seattle. He had awareness that he showed on film, he showed tackling, he showed smarts, he showed intelligence and we need another guy at free so he was the guy.

or wayne chrebet, brandon moore, and Victor green?

Biography

HOW ACQUIRED:

Signed as an undrafted rookie free agent on May 8, 2015.

COLLEGE: Started 21 of 37 games played for the Tigers, including all 13 his senior season when he collected a career-high 73 tackles, two ints. and nine passes defensed. Had 149 career tackles, five interceptions and 15 passes defensed.

PERSONAL: Participated in four sports at White Castle HS – football, basketball, baseball and track. Earned first-team all-state honors in football and basketball. Played QB and safety and led team to the class 1A state title as a senior. Threw for more than 1,400 yards and rushed for more than 1,100 yards and 25 total touchdowns on offense his senior year. Tallied nine interceptions to go along with 15 passes defensed. An all-district performer in baseball as a pitcher and outfielder. Anchored both sprint relays and ran the 400 meters. Posted 44 feet in triple jump and 23 feet in the long jump in track. Born on February 26, 1993.

I heard the lunches at White Castle High are awesome.  

White Castle.jpg

I will never understand the logic of some of these moves, picking up cut UDFAs from other teams to replace players that went through all of training camp and made the initial 53.

If they are better it makes a lot of sense.  If they are equal, makes no sense at all.  I guess we just have to trust in the judgment of the front office.

If they are better it makes a lot of sense.  If they are equal, makes no sense at all.  I guess we just have to trust in the judgment of the front office.

lIke the trust we placed in Idzik?

or Tanny, who went to UMASS to scout Vlad and didn't notice Victor. Cruz???

The evaluation of REAL talent is a skill many GMs don't have.  They are numbers guys. Like Tanny and Idzik.

lIke the trust we placed in Idzik?

or Tanny, who went to UMASS to scout Vlad and didn't notice Victor. Cruz???

The evaluation of REAL talent is a skill many GMs don't have.  They are numbers guys. Like Tanny and Idzik.

You're right.  We just should assume that any Jets GM sucks because his predecessors did.

You're right.  We just should assume that any Jets GM sucks because his predecessors did.

all I am saying is that there is no way to know if a GM can evaluate talent.  I foolishly thought Idzik was a good choice.

The BPA approach may be better than the average GM.  Like QBs, there are probably 10 good GMs in the league for talent evaluation. 

or wayne chrebet, brandon moore, and Victor green?

actually never got the Victor Green love affair either.  Wasn't that good.  Chrebet and Brandon were really good players.  No one knew either player until they started, Chrebet that was day 1

Archived