Just going to toss this one in here ...

jamesr

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4-12 Jets were very competitive against the Pats last year with punch me Geno..:lol:

Rex Ryan is 4-10 against Belichick all-time, and the Patriots have him figured out.  The 2010 playoff win was great, no doubt.  Since then Belichick has owned Rex, and that's not likely to change any time soon. 

One very Rex-like thing the Jets D did was let the Redskins march down for an easy TD after the first Decker fumble.  That is something that I think is very common.  The D gets off the field and then you have to put your helmet on and run back on the field before you have a chance to wipe the sweat out of your eyes.  There is no time to go over scheme and strategy.  Rex was constantly blamed for that, but I think it is common league-wide.  The Jets didn't let it hurt them and I don't think it was too bad the rest of the way.  The 'skins only got field goals off the other two turnovers, but they also were playing without 3/5 of their starting O-line.

Irish, do you realize how many excuses you just listed that Rex has a direct responsibility for?  Rex brought in Tyrod Taylor.  That was HIS GUY.  Of course there's pressure to make the playoffs when you go 9-7 the year before then handpick your starting QB.  Tyrod got hurt and he had EJ Manuel, essentially the incumbent starter, waiting as the backup.  Not every Head Coach walks into that kind of situation. 

And if he isn't going to at least be COMPETITIVE against the Bengals and Patriots....what good is he?  He talked a big game about the Bills defense being better this year than last year, and they've gone in the complete opposite direction.  Not to mention they've been losing games thanks to penalties as well.  Who is to blame for that?  The QB again?

He brought in Cassel too.  "Hand-picking" Tyrod Taylor over EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel may very well be the smart move.

I'll grant you this:  The Bills trading up for Watkins the year before (in a stellar WR class, no less), thus forfeiting the ability to draft a QB in 2015, was not Rex's fault.  And yes, the QB market was quite thin. 

But Irish Jet was trying to state that the team should not be considered a playoff contender with Taylor/Manuel at QB.  Not true at all.  They went 9-7 last year with a combination of EJ Manuel and a one-foot-in-retirement Kyle Orton.  No one should be able to excuse Rex with the "He doesn't have a QB!" argument any more. 

And no, they weren't competitive with NE.  The Patriots controlled that game throughout and the Bills made it look closer than it was by putting up points late in a game that was already basically over.  Their # 4 ranked defense from 2014 gave up a franchise record for passing yards that day.  That's not being "competitive".  Especially when you do it in front of your home crowd.

They had the ball in the last few mins in a one score game, that's competitive.

I think w/ Taylor they are legit playoff contenders.

I am just glad we are winning, I really don't care what is going on in Orchard Park.

He should be under pressure to make the playoffs, the Bills were 9-7 last year got Mccoy and are built to win now.  No one and mean no one had the Jets ahead of the Bills pre season.

in the offseason everyone and their mother were predicting Bills Superbowl. Yes, they played two of the AFC best and undefeated at that but its the fashion they had lost in that is clearly getting under the skin of Bills players. All those flags. Injuries. Mistakes. Did I mention two to those come from the HC though? 

in the offseason everyone and their mother were predicting Bills Superbowl. Yes, they played two of the AFC best and undefeated at that but its the fashion they had lost in that is clearly getting under the skin of Bills players. All those flags. Injuries. Mistakes. Did I mention two to those come from the HC though? 

No one was predicting Bills SB, they were predicting them ending their long playoff drought bit not SB.

They went 9-7 last year.  How is what they're doing anything other than a step down from Marrone? 

It's become very clear that older, veteran coaches tend to have their way with Rex Ryan, and this year has been no exception.  Tom Couglin, Bill Belichick and Marvin Lewis know exactly what to expect from Rex.  Marvin's Bengals destroyed the Rex-led Jets 49-9 two years ago and then beat them up this week.  Coughlin told his players in this year's Giants-Bills game to expect Rex's team to "beat themselves with penalties", and that's exactly what happened.  And Belichick improved to 10-4 against Rex, with Buffalo setting a franchise record for pass yards allowed.

If Rex cannot find a way to beat top teams every once in a while with an elite defensive unit, he's run out of excuses.  But as always, they'll thump their chests over beating Jacksonville next weekend, before losing to Miami coming out of the bye.  It's oh so predictable.

Quote for the record so no one can accuse you of editing it when it happens exactly like this.

Rex Ryan is 4-10 against Belichick all-time, and the Patriots have him figured out.  The 2010 playoff win was great, no doubt.  Since then Belichick has owned Rex, and that's not likely to change any time soon. 

BB was getting owned by most teams before Brady was he not??

They had the ball in the last few mins in a one score game, that's competitive.

I think w/ Taylor they are legit playoff contenders.

I am just glad we are winning, I really don't care what is going on in Orchard Park.

Now if we can only straighten out the dingalings who think we'd be 5-0 with a 200-20 scoring differential with rex/geno...

Yep.  They were the # 4 defense last year and have now allowed an average of 23+ points per game this season.  A top defense shouldn't be allowing the Pats to drop 40 and the Bengals to drop 34.  Any old defense can do that.  The Bills weren't supposed to be any old defense with the talent they had and after bringing in Rex.

Much like the last few years under Rex, when we won we looked good, but there was always a sense the other shoe would drop the next game.  We'd always be saying "Nice win, but if we keep making these mistakes, we won't be X."  That seems to be happening here.  All of their losses have been of the demoralizing nature, where they weren't really competitive.  That's the mark of a .500 team.  Not good when the expectation was they'd do better under Rex than Marrone.

he is 4-10 but most of the losses were very close despite inferior talent against NE.  Rex's teams outside of the buttfumble game and the dec '10 game have played NE really tough win or lose.

he is 4-10 but most of the losses were very close despite inferior talent against NE.  Rex's teams outside of the buttfumble game and the dec '10 game have played NE really tough win or lose.

That's cool and all, but Rex's mission has been to beat the Patriots.  Yes, it's nice we kept games close.  But Belichick has beaten him 8 of the last 9 times, with 3 of those losses the blowout variety.  Yet he came to Buffalo with the reputation of being the guy who can beat the Patriots.  That hasn't been further from the truth since early 2011.

With Favre as QB the Jets split games with the Pats in 2008 minus Brady and needed overtime to beat them in the game they won..

That's cool and all, but Rex's mission has been to beat the Patriots.  Yes, it's nice we kept games close.  But Belichick has beaten him 8 of the last 9 times, with 3 of those losses the blowout variety.  Yet he came to Buffalo with the reputation of being the guy who can beat the Patriots.  That hasn't been further from the truth since early 2011.

in the biggest game btw the 2 teams he led his team to a big win.  It's hard to beat Brady.

How am I criticizing them?  I love what this team has done so far, does that mean only Bowles could have taken this talented team against a weak sched and gone 4-1?

Difference is he did it. everything else is wishes stacked upon hopes stacked upon belief. which looks something like:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker/qAtIFpsrQKGO8rulrB8V_hasbro-jenga.jpg

Yep.  They were the # 4 defense last year and have now allowed an average of 23+ points per game this season.  A top defense shouldn't be allowing the Pats to drop 40 and the Bengals to drop 34.  Any old defense can do that.  The Bills weren't supposed to be any old defense with the talent they had and after bringing in Rex.

Much like the last few years under Rex, when we won we looked good, but there was always a sense the other shoe would drop the next game.  We'd always be saying "Nice win, but if we keep making these mistakes, we won't be X."  That seems to be happening here.  All of their losses have been of the demoralizing nature, where they weren't really competitive.  That's the mark of a .500 team.  Not good when the expectation was they'd do better under Rex than Marrone.

After 2013 I realized Rex would bleed through on D badly and often. Almost like he outschemed himself trying to out scheme others. Players were confused. Lots of blown coverage. But it was Rex Ryan so his named carried the weight of 'Vaunted D'. When I heard Quinn's D is more simple and is about players playing faster, I was excited we were talking to him. Then I turned on Arizonas D and noticed Bowles was base 3-4 like us and literally everything Rex D was suppose to be. Rex isn't really that good on D like people say. He isn't a defensive mastermind because the NFL has learned how to burn him. Time for everyone else to see that too.

If Rex and the personnel from the #4 defense in the league is going to let Eli Manning and Andy Dalton go up and down the field on them, then what good is Rex Ryan?

you missed the point.  the players may have assumed that penetrating and rushing is always the best option, the coaches may have noticed the bengals beat the blitz.  this isn't hard to grasp

and andy dalton is playing at a very high level. 

"who knows" is a very weak criticism of a 4-1 team imho

Yep.  And I think we do know what we'd be doing with Rex based on history.  He's 3-3 in Buffalo with + 6 net points, headed for about an 8-8 season.  Here's how he did from 2011-2014 here once Tannenbaum's heavy spending was curtailed and Rex started making significant personnel decisions:

2011:  8-8 (+ 14 net points)

2012:  6-10 (- 94 net points)

2013:  8-8 (- 97 net points)

2014:  4-12 (- 118 net points)

I sense a downward trend.  Sure, maybe he'd be doing OK with this roster as it stands today.  But it's certainly no guarantee.  He's already ruining a 9-7 roster in Buffalo as we speak.  My guess is another downward trend will begin with them pretty soon until he's fired.

lol.  OK, sure, the Drew Bledsoe era was the last time anyone beat Belichick.  So Rex is excused for failing to do so here and in Buffalo.

BB had one winning season with the Browns and I still think he's a HOF Coach I thought he was a great DC for the Jets even though he couldn't stop Terrell Davis but then who could??:) So what your saying is a HOF QB is no help at all winning games??

Saw that this morning.

I said that defense would not be as good under Rex. Honestly I didn't think it would be this much worse.

Rex is the greatest at smashing square pegs into round holes and he's up to his old tricks in Buffalo. He is absolutely MARRIED, BOUND AND TIED to the 3-4 defense. Buffalo had their best defensive season last year in a 4-3. I said he would have Mario Williams playing LB and that has come true. Look for the downward slide to continue, and if the Saints should cut Kyle Wilson - he will become the number CB in Buffalo.

BB had one winning season with the Browns and I still think he a HOF Coach I thought he was a great DC for the Jets even though he couldn't stop Terrell Davis but then who could??:) So what your saying is a HOF QB is no help at all winning games??

BB is a great coach but he'd be a DC somewhere today if not for Brady rescuing his career.

After 2013 I realized Rex would bleed through on D badly and often. Almost like he outschemed himself trying to out scheme others. Players were confused. Lots of blown coverage. But it was Rex Ryan so his named carried the weight of 'Vaunted D'. When I heard Quinn's D is more simple and is about players playing faster, I was excited we were talking to him. Then I turned on Arizonas D and noticed Bowles was base 3-4 like us and literally everything Rex D was suppose to be. Rex isn't really that good on D like people say. He isn't a defensive mastermind because the NFL has learned how to burn him. Time for everyone else to see that too.

Yep.  At one time there were few people you'd want to draw up a defensive gameplan to win one game than Rex.  But good coaches cannot be stubborn.  They have to be willing to adjust and adapt.  Other defensive coaches have passed him by for that very reason.  Where others adjust to their personnel, Rex has failed to do the same for several years now.

BB had one winning season with the Browns and I still think he's a HOF Coach I thought he was a great DC for the Jets even though he couldn't stop Terrell Davis but then who could??:) So what your saying is a HOF QB is no help at all winning games??

I'm saying Rex is a huge reason why his QB play is so poor.  He agreed to the Sanchez pick, and also agreed to his contract extension.  He had every opportunity to demand a better QB than Geno Smith.  Bradway, not Rex, wanted Russell Wilson.  And instead of Bridgewater, Rex opted for the hard-hitting safety Calvin Pryor in 2014.

QB matters.  But you conveniently ignore the fact that a Head Coach plays a big role in the QB selection.  If the guy had any clue at all, he'd have the QB he needs.

Compounding the problems for Rex is that he sucks at coaching defense now on top of all that, and his teams are some of the most heavily penalized.  He also can't manage the clock and doesn't know when to challenge calls.

Other than all that, Mrs. Lincoln.....how was the play?

Archived