Jets defense:

1st in run yards allowed/game

15th in passing yards allowed/game

9th in points allowed/game

Jets offense:

17th in passing yards/game

14th in rushing yards/game

15th in points/game

So our defense, while struggling, is still a top ten defense in points allowed, while our offense is middle of the pack, which I think most Jets fans would have taken given the last couple of years.

Jets defense:

Jets offense:

15th in points/game

So our defense, while struggling, is still a top ten defense in points allowed, while our offense is middle of the pack, which I think most Jets fans would have taken given the last couple of years.

NFL.com has Jets 11th in PPG and 12th in total points with 3 teams having played one more game.

Can't be too disappointed with any of these.  I think three games ago we would have all expected to be higher in pass yards allowed, and rush yards gained, but stats like this can get you in the playoffs.  Hopefully we continue getting healthy, getting coached up, getting better.

I must say...At the beginning of the year if you told me this would be a middle of pack offense...top 15 or so...I would have said this team would be somewhat dominant.  At least showing signs of being dominant.  The defense has been a real disappointment.  With the talent and money spent on this unit I expected a lot more.  Top 1/3 of the league is simply not acceptable.  They've been solid, but they need to be more than solid.

I must say...At the beginning of the year if you told me this would be a middle of pack offense...top 15 or so...I would have said this team would be somewhat dominant.  At least showing signs of being dominant.  The defense has been a real disappointment.  With the talent and money spent on this unit I expected a lot more.  Top 1/3 of the league is simply not acceptable.  They've been solid, but they need to be more than solid.

no running game to help rest the D

Nah...Rex had great talent on the defense at times throughout his six years....Even when he was putting up top 5 defense...They never really got turnovers.  

Not true.  They were 8th in the league in takeaways in 2009, 15th in 2010, 9th in 2011.  It fell off after 2012.  Buffalo has been doing fine in that category as well.

Not true.  They were 8th in the league in takeaways in 2009, 15th in 2010, 9th in 2011.  It fell off after 2012.  Buffalo has been doing fine in that category as well.

So, two years out of 6 they were top 10 in turnovers and you're saying that's good?

Sorry, I don't see it that way.

So, two years out of 6 they were top 10 in turnovers and you're saying that's good?

Sorry, I don't see it that way.

No, you said they never really got turnovers.  They were good in 2009 and 2011 and solid in 2010.  

It doesn't matter how you see it.  What you said is just not true.  And with $50 million spent on three CBs and a safety, you better hope Bowles' secondary is an improvement in that category over the 2014 secondary, which started an UDFA at one CB spot and a college LB at the other.

Geno through 8 games (2014): 7 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 1 rushing TD, 2 fumbles lost. TD to turnover ratio: -4.

Fitzpatrick through 8 games (2015): 13 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 1 rushing TD, 1 fumble lost. TD to turnover ratio: +6.

Touchdown to turnover differential 2014 to 2015: +10.

Geno through 8 games (2014): 7 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 1 rushing TD, 2 fumbles lost. TD to turnover ratio: -4.

Fitzpatrick through 8 games (2015): 13 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 1 rushing TD, 1 fumble lost. TD to turnover ratio: +6.

Touchdown to turnover differential 2014 to 2015: +10.

Turnover ratio is the great equalizer. 

Your defense is going to suffer when your offense can't run the ball. The only exception is Tom Brady & maybe Aaron Rogers. Pretty much every team you play if you stuff their run game & FORCE them to throw, it will have a direct impact the their defense.

For example, the Jets defense has been sliding directly in proportion to our running game getting stuffed. It forces 3rd & longs, it changes field position, it does not allow your defense to get any rest. It also gives more snaps to the opposing offense which when taken in totality might have an effect on how many injuries you suffer. The more plays you have to defend the chances for injury rise. Guys get hurt when they tire. 

We're playing with fire if we can't get this run game going. We're putting way too much on Fitz shoulders & he's gonna be a lot more hesitant to run for 1st downs when the opportunity arises which takes something else away from our offense that was working.

Your defense is going to suffer when your offense can't run the ball. The only exception is Tom Brady & maybe Aaron Rogers. Pretty much every team you play if you stuff their run game & FORCE them to throw, it will have a direct impact the their defense.

For example, the Jets defense has been sliding directly in proportion to our running game getting stuffed. It forces 3rd & longs, it changes field position, it does not allow your defense to get any rest. It also gives more snaps to the opposing offense which when taken in totality might have an effect on how many injuries you suffer. The more plays you have to defend the chances for injury rise. Guys get hurt when they tire. 

We're playing with fire if we can't get this run game going. We're putting way too much on Fitz shoulders & he's gonna be a lot more hesitant to run for 1st downs when the opportunity arises which takes something else away from our offense that was working.

Ultimately though, it comes down to the limited skill-set of the QB.  The reason we have no running game is because teams are stacking box and essentially run blitzing every play...more or less daring Fitz to beat them deep.  And his arm simply isn't strong enough to do that.

Jets defense:

Jets offense:

15th in points/game

Don't forget, we also have the #1 offense in red zone scoring efficiency by touchdowns.

Yes, that is true.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2015-11-09

#1 : Jets @ 75.00%

#2 : Bengals @ 68.57%

#3 : Patriots @ 68.42%

Commence orgasms!

Archived