The glaring hole the Jets must fill in the 2016 NFL Draft ~ ~ ~

kelly

I think we seriously need to beef our oline up. Wouldnt mind drafting straight oline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully the Jets are picking in the 20's and OLine could be a very realistic possibility at that point in time.

I hate paying big money to a guy as old as Hali, but since he is from Teaneck, NJ, maybe he can take a discount?

With cap going up, and Hali still getting to the QB, I don't think it's that much tbh. But yeah, I tend to agree. Would prefer a glorified one-year deal, help with transition of young OLBs

Devin Smith was not brought here to play special teams, at least not as a returner. In college he excelled as a gunner.  

And he's been playing the gunner role here also.  He's been prominently involved in both the punt return TD's given up by the Jets this year.

On Sproles TD he was knocked to the ground, when he got to his feet he was disorientated, lost containment, and Sproles ran right by him.

On the Harris TD he was down there in excellent time.  Should have held Harris up for no return.  He missed him, and Harris was off.

I've been very disappointed in him as a gunner 

The Jets will stay have some dough to spend. Cutting Cro and restructuring Bricks contract will free some things up. We need to resign Harrison. We will also probably let Demario walk...

1. OL

2. OLB

Then draft best available

They also have to make a decision on Mo, and probably pay Fitz somewhere in the neighborhood of $5M/year (or more, if he gets the team to the playoffs). They're not going to have a lot of money. 

QB is still the biggest need on the team. Wouldn't be a shock to see them make a move for one in the first round. If they stand pat, I'm a firm believer in the BAP philosophy, especially in the early rounds. I have to think Maccagnan, who grew up in NFL scouting departments, feels the same. He certainly went that route last year. I understand how frustrating another DL would be to a lot of fans (and I'd hope another position was the best player there, too), but if they trade Mo for for a first rounder, or use him to move up in the draft for a potential franchise QB, it won't look so terrible to keep stockpiling there. 

You fill needs in the later rounds of the draft, where the grades aren't nearly as clear-cut. 

It's my pray that "The Hack" end up on my Jets radar. Sit that kid for a year and allow him to forget getting thrown to the wolves at Penn State while learning the NFL system and you could have a special player.

That kid has superior QB talent, as is evident by his standing with scouts despite what is shown on the field. IMHO, Penn State has 2 players worthy of talking about.  The QB and the RB both of whom have to suffer due to the talent level around them.

OL and Pass Rusher remain my top priorities, but as I see it, only Stanley(ND) is worth my interest at OT and thus far I can't find anyone worthy of picking at OLBer with a round pick.

That leaves the Hack who I don't see making it to the 2nd round.  But what do I know, with the Jets it's always something .

I dont think our most glaring hold is OLB. I think we need to develop Mauldin. Our glaring hole is on the offensive line. We have no depth on the Oline on top of the fact that D'Brick is about done. He may have have a year or two left of above average/mediocre play, but he's on the decline and we have no replacement for him. 

I can say the same for Mangold in regards to depth. We've been getting better play from the guard positions this year but we can get better. We can also do better at RT as well. 

I would address the line before making the defense "yet again" top priority. 

I dont think our most glaring hold is OLB. I think we need to develop Mauldin. Our glaring hole is on the offensive line. We have no depth on the Oline on top of the fact that D'Brick is about done. He may have have a year or two left of above average/mediocre play, but he's on the decline and we have no replacement for him. 

I can say the same for Mangold in regards to depth. We've been getting better play from the guard positions this year but we can get better. We can also do better at RT as well. 

I would address the line before making the defense "yet again" top priority. 

Mauldin could be developed into an every down OLB, but you'd still need a second one. Calvin Pace can't play forever and Reilly doesn't get any snaps out there. If Jaylon Smith enters the draft and he's available where we pick (likely he won't be), he's the BPA without a doubt.

Mauldin could be developed into an every down OLB, but you'd still need a second one. Calvin Pace can't play forever and Reilly doesn't get any snaps out there. If Jaylon Smith enters the draft and he's available where we pick (likely he won't be), he's the BPA without a doubt.

All this is true, but I dont see it as a glaring hole. I think if Mauldin develops and Pace retires you can stick Reilly their for a time. The glaring hole is our Oline. if anyone on that line gets hurt, especially D'Brick we're in some serious trouble. 

I wanted the Jets to address this last draft. I like Leonard Williams, he was considered the BPA but I feel we should have addressed the T/G/C positions. We picked the BPA and he he's pretty good, but our Oline is suspect and its really hasnt helped Fitzpatrick/Ivory in regards establishing that rushing attack consistently. 

We need a LT, RT, C immediately and depth at the G position. I'd address those areas and let Reilly have at it at the OLB position. 

All this is true, but I dont see it as a glaring hole. I think if Mauldin develops and Pace retires you can stick Reilly their for a time. The glaring hole is our Oline. if anyone on that line gets hurt, especially D'Brick we're in some serious trouble. 

I wanted the Jets to address this last draft. I like Leonard Williams, he was considered the BPA but I feel we should have addressed the T/G/C positions. We picked the BPA and he he's pretty good, but our Oline is suspect and its really hasnt helped Fitzpatrick/Ivory in regards establishing that rushing attack consistently. 

We need a LT, RT, C immediately and depth at the G position. I'd address those areas and let Reilly have at it at the OLB position. 

One of the least sacked QBs in Fitz and 14th in rushing yards. That's with Mangold missing time and the best run blocker on the team out for most of the season. Brick and Mangold are fine. If you want to upgrade the right side of the line, you can do that in free agency or the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds of the draft. If you can get an impact outside linebacker with coverage skills, something this team sorely lacks, in the first round you do it. Reilly is not good enough to be anything more than a special teams player at this point, not to mention they'll also be losing Davis from the middle. Linebacker is a bigger need than offensive line.

The biggest need for this team is a QB to move forward with, a long term answer.  OL can always use help an we do need help there but as been said, for all our complaints in general this line as is performs pretty well. So while we need help and will eventually have to replace Brick and Mangold its not as imperative as it is to find our QB.  They don't fall off trees so if you see one you like and he's available, even in the first grab him.  Of course this may not be as desperate as we think if Petty has looked good in practice and shown the CS anything.  Though I still prefer the Ron Wolf belief that you draft a QB somewhere every year philosophy.  

The Jets will stay have some dough to spend. Cutting Cro and restructuring Bricks contract will free some things up. We need to resign Harrison. We will also probably let Demario walk...

1. QB

Then draft best available

..fixed  ^ ^

;)

Archived