Sheldon and Mo doing well rushing from the edge

jetscrazey

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/12/31/three-reasons-why-the-jets-would-be-a-dangerous-playoff-opponent/

When the Jets selected Southern Cal’s defensive tackle Leonard Williams (considered by many to be the best defensive prospect in the 2015 draft) with the No. 6 overall pick, it was pointed out by many that Williams played a position at which the team was already loaded. The team’s real need was at edge rusher, not defensive tackle, with effective players Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Damon Harrison already on the roster.

It was a classic case of drafting the best available player over positional need, and the move has worked out spectacularly well. Not only has Williams been great (he currently ranks No. 14 among interior defenders in PFF grades, and might be the most deserving candidate for defensive rookie of the year), but the Jets have played all four of those guys at the same time in what might be the most unique defensive line in the NFL.

Look up “edge rusher” in the NFL dictionary and you’re likely to see a photo of Denver’s Von Miller, who is listed at 250 pounds. Miller is a powerful man, to be sure, but he is most effective at winning with quickness coming off the edge, wreaking havoc on offensive tackles who can’t handle his speed. Such is the prototype for pass-rushers at defensive end or outside linebacker.

The Jets have bucked the trend, however, taking their two best interior pass-rushers in Wilkerson and Richardson and moving them outside to the defensive end positions. Wilkerson and Richardson weigh in at 315 and 294 pounds, respectively, teaming with Williams and Harrison on a line that averages 315 pounds per man.

Unsurprisingly, the result has been a dominant run-defending front, but what has been a surprise is how effective this unit has been at getting to the quarterback. Wilkerson has increased his pass-rush productivity since kicking outside, recording an impressive 14.4 pressure percentage from the left end position that isn’t far off from Miller’s overall pressure percentage of 16.2. Richardson, meanwhile, has recorded a pressure percentage of 14.1 when coming off the right edge.

Not every NFL team could employ this strategy, mind you, as Wilkerson and Richardson both possess rare speed and athleticism for men their size, which when combined with their length has allowed them to be even more effective outside than when they were inside, but the result has been a four-man wrecking crew of a defensive line that is a concrete wall against the run and very disruptive against the pass.

It has allowed the Jets to blitz less — just 30 percent of passing plays during their current five-game winning streak, compared with their 48 percent blitz rate through their first 10 games (the NFL average is 30 percent) — which has taken some of the pressure off a vulnerable secondary. It has made them a threat to shut down any passing attack they come up against – including New England’s, as we saw last week.

Bowles finally found the formula.  Get the best 4 guys on the field and let them do work.  Sheldon is the perfect player to adapt to the weak-side DE/edge rusher because of his natural quickness and athleticism combined with football IQ, and he can just flat out bull rush OTs.  Mo can overpower any OT in the league as well, so he makes the perfect strong-side DE.  This has allowed Leo and Snacks to maximize their reps and dominate in the interior.  As good as Leo has played, I think he'll get even better once he gets better at extending his arms and shedding blocks like Mo progressed in years 2 and 3.  The pass rushing will come as well.

Sheldon Richardson has a new position on Jets' defense -- MPB7

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Ask Sheldon Richardson what position he plays for the New York Jets, and this is what he'll tell you:

MPB7.

Sounds very James Bond-ish, right?

"It's multi-purpose box seven," Richardson said. "Any position you need me to play in the box seven, I can play."

Richardson usually plays defensive end or tackle, but he has been playing outside linebacker in recent weeks. In fact, he was in the starting lineup last week as an outside 'backer in the 3-4 base defense. You don't often see a 294-pound linebacker, but Richardson doesn't look out of place because of his freakish athleticism.

The idea gained momentum five weeks ago, when Quinton Coples was waived. The Jets had started playing more 4-3 fronts, getting Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams on the field at the same time, but Todd Bowles is an old 3-4 coach and he didn't want to junk the scheme entirely. Because rookie Lorenzo Mauldin isn't ready for an every-down role, Bowles decided to give Richardson a shot.

Richardson played 18 snaps at linebacker last week against the Patriots, bringing his total to 125 out of 533 defensive snaps, according to ESPN Stats and Information.

"We try to scheme and do certain things if we see certain things on the other side of the ball that we can take advantage of," Bowles said.

Richardson said he laughed upon learning of the linebacker idea, but he accepted the challenge. It wasn't easy at first because he continued to read plays as a 3-technique tackle, his natural position, not as a linebacker. The coaches backed him off, but he's back on the accelerated program.

"There's nothing to it," he said. "It's not an obstacle. Guys put limits on themselves. I put none on myself. Just give me my reps, and I should be fine by game day."

Richardson doesn't lack confidence. He believes he can play every position on defense except cornerback. Coming out of high school, he was the highest-rated tight end in the country. As a rookie, in 2013, he got a handful of plays as a goal-line running back, scoring two touchdowns. He's always one of the best athletes on the field, no matter what field he's on.

This is one of those situations where the player has to put aside his ego, and Richardson is doing that. Obviously, he'd rather be playing his natural position, but he understands the deal. Bowles wants to get the best 11 players on the field, and Richardson is most definitely among the best 11.

"I don't make as many plays," he said. "It's the dirty job on the defense. It's not flashy, but you get your chance to shine. I got one (sack against New England). We're winning. It is what it is.

"I could've complained about more 3-technique reps, but it's not necessary," Richardson continued. "It's not necessary at all. The team is flourishing right now and I'm a team guy. Anything they ask me to do, I do. It's working out right now."

Richardson said he gets teased by the defensive linemen. They say he's no longer one of them, and that he belongs to the linebacking corps. To counter that, he created the MPB7 label. It's unique, that's for sure.

"Whatever the team needs me to do, I'll do," he said. "If anything, it builds my résumé."

I found it interesting that the long-held criticism of the Jets was that they CONTINUED to use Coples at OLB despite being a NATURAL DT. Yet, there has been no uproar with Shelly now replacing Coples in the same conundrum. 

I really thought that Bowles would have switched to a 5-2 with Mo-Coples-Harrison-Williams-Shelly. The 3rd Backer being essentially Pryor playing a bit more shallow on 1st & 2nd downs. No NFL OLine Starting 5 would be able to block that 5 DLine front one-on-one. The opposing Offense would have to dedicate an additional FB/TE to chip/block limiting the Recieving options of QB under heavy duress against our 2ndary. OH to dream!!!!! 

In the end, the DLine is FINALLY producing and the CS is taking advantage of Shelly's RIDICULOUS ATHLETICISM and quickness off the edge to provide CONSTANT outside pass rush which was NON-EXISTANT with Coples & Pace solely manning the Bookends of the DLine.

I really thought that Bowles would have switched to a 5-2 with Mo-Coples-Harrison-Williams-Shelly. The 3rd Backer being essentially Pryor playing a bit more shallow on 1st & 2nd downs. No NFL OLine Starting 5 would be able to block that 5 DLine front one-on-one. The opposing Offense would have to dedicate an additional FB/TE to chip/block limiting the Recieving options of QB under heavy duress against our 2ndary. OH to dream!!!!! 

In the end, the DLine is FINALLY producing and the CS is taking advantage of Shelly's RIDICULOUS ATHLETICISM and quickness off the edge to provide CONSTANT outside pass rush which was NON-EXISTANT with Coples & Pace solely manning the Bookends of the DLine.

even in 5-2 Bowles isn't getting his best 11 on the field because Coples isn't in the best 11.  I'd rather have Pace, Harris, and Davis/Henderson in there.  Never been a fan of Coples's motor.

I really thought that Bowles would have switched to a 5-2 with Mo-Coples-Harrison-Williams

they aren't playing a 5-2 because it's the NFL not high school.   If they were playing Bergen Catholic and not the Bills this weekend I'm sure the 5-2 would be an option.   As would the 5-3 stack monster.   

they aren't playing a 5-2 because it's the NFL not high school.   If they were playing Bergen Catholic and not the Bills this weekend I'm sure the 5-2 would be an option.   As would the 5-3 stack monster.   

No sh*t sherlock. I should have BETTER CLEARLY stated that, at the beginning of the year -while Coples still on roster, the best way to play the overloaded DLine (Q as a DL, not OLB) would have been a use of a 5-2 sub-package.

Since it is the NFL, and not Brunswick High, the 5-2 would have not been a BASE defense but I think it would have been rather effective due to the 1-on- OL to DLine matchups causing EXTREME pass rush (eventually causing HC to bring in more TE/FBs to block REDUCING even more receiving options for the QB) to forcing the QB to dump early against our LOADED Secondary. 

That, IMO back in Aug, would have been A WAY to put ll out Dline talent on the field at the same time at their NATURAL positions. 

Q was a slacker and Richardson -although not his natural position from 2pt stance - has been moved out to OLB but is more effective SIMPLY due to sheer effort & energy. 

Point is, in the end, we FINALLY are starting to realize the pass rush we expected from this Front 7 talent and Multiple Premium draft picks

He rotates players around too; not like making him do that all of the time. Trying to make the best of a weakness.  I would guess either Mo or Sheldon will be gone next year and we will hopefully draft/sign a true OLB and it will make things easier.

If Mo is holding out for Watt money he may be the one that goes.. I still think if Sheldon has cleaned up his act they keep him and Snacks..

Sheldon Richardson has a new position on Jets' defense -- MPB7

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Ask Sheldon Richardson what position he plays for the New York Jets, and this is what he'll tell you:

MPB7.

Sounds very James Bond-ish, right?

"It's multi-purpose box seven," Richardson said. "Any position you need me to play in the box seven, I can play."

Richardson usually plays defensive end or tackle, but he has been playing outside linebacker in recent weeks. In fact, he was in the starting lineup last week as an outside 'backer in the 3-4 base defense. You don't often see a 294-pound linebacker, but Richardson doesn't look out of place because of his freakish athleticism.

The idea gained momentum five weeks ago, when Quinton Coples was waived. The Jets had started playing more 4-3 fronts, getting Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams on the field at the same time, but Todd Bowles is an old 3-4 coach and he didn't want to junk the scheme entirely. Because rookie Lorenzo Mauldin isn't ready for an every-down role, Bowles decided to give Richardson a shot.

Richardson played 18 snaps at linebacker last week against the Patriots, bringing his total to 125 out of 533 defensive snaps, according to ESPN Stats and Information.

"We try to scheme and do certain things if we see certain things on the other side of the ball that we can take advantage of," Bowles said.

Richardson said he laughed upon learning of the linebacker idea, but he accepted the challenge. It wasn't easy at first because he continued to read plays as a 3-technique tackle, his natural position, not as a linebacker. The coaches backed him off, but he's back on the accelerated program.

"There's nothing to it," he said. "It's not an obstacle. Guys put limits on themselves. I put none on myself. Just give me my reps, and I should be fine by game day."

Richardson doesn't lack confidence. He believes he can play every position on defense except cornerback. Coming out of high school, he was the highest-rated tight end in the country. As a rookie, in 2013, he got a handful of plays as a goal-line running back, scoring two touchdowns. He's always one of the best athletes on the field, no matter what field he's on.

This is one of those situations where the player has to put aside his ego, and Richardson is doing that. Obviously, he'd rather be playing his natural position, but he understands the deal. Bowles wants to get the best 11 players on the field, and Richardson is most definitely among the best 11.

"I don't make as many plays," he said. "It's the dirty job on the defense. It's not flashy, but you get your chance to shine. I got one (sack against New England). We're winning. It is what it is.

"I could've complained about more 3-technique reps, but it's not necessary," Richardson continued. "It's not necessary at all. The team is flourishing right now and I'm a team guy. Anything they ask me to do, I do. It's working out right now."

Richardson said he gets teased by the defensive linemen. They say he's no longer one of them, and that he belongs to the linebacking corps. To counter that, he created the MPB7 label. It's unique, that's for sure.

"Whatever the team needs me to do, I'll do," he said. "If anything, it builds my résumé."

Bowles puts Richardson into coverage, the Jets defense gets even better up front while having to blitz less which has made the passing defense better. 

Rex puts Mario Williams into coverage, Williams is expected to be cut by season's end. 

Bowles says that Richardson has to "Put his ego to the side", Richardson responds by saying "I can play any position outside of cornerback. Just give me the proper reps and I'll do whatever needed". 

Rex attempts to install his defense, Williams responds by blasting Rex Ryan, saying that "his scheme doesnt fit the players" and letting his ego get the best of him when talking to reporters. 

Sometimes its the coaches, but sometimes its the players. 

Bowles puts Richardson into coverage, the Jets defense gets even better up front while having to blitz less which has made the passing defense better. 

Rex puts Mario Williams into coverage, Williams is expected to be cut by season's end. 

Bowles says that Richardson has to "Put his ego to the side", Richardson responds by saying "I can play any position outside of cornerback. Just give me the proper reps and I'll do whatever needed". 

Rex attempts to install his defense, Williams responds by blasting Rex Ryan, saying that "his scheme doesnt fit the players" and letting his ego get the best of him when talking to reporters. 

Sometimes its the coaches, but sometimes its the players. 

More like it's pretty much always the players, but yeah. With this one in particular the criticism is just ridiculous. I don't remember anybody saying that Rex Ryan was bad at adapting his scheme to the talent he had in 2009. I do however remember a lot of people talking about how much better Rex was in this regard than his own idiot predecessor. Probably a lot of the same people that are saying the same thing about Bowles now. Imagine that.

Tagging him will cost around Watt money 15 million No??

If I believe correctly, it's the AVG. of the top 5 salaries for that position.

JJ Watt Maxes it out at $16M/Yr, but then it drops to the REASONABLE range for the NEXT top 4 3-4 PAID DEs:

JJWat $16M/Yr.

Cameron Jordan - NO - $11m/Yr

Calais Campbell - Arz - $11M/Yr

Cameron Hayward - Pitt - $10.45M/Yr

Corey Liuget - SD - $10.2M/Yr

So THAT avg. Mo would come out to $11.73M for 2016. That's a fair price. No need to Trade him. 

To even FURTHER PILE ON:

Mo made the following GUARANTEED Salary sums:

2011 - $375K

than an 83% increase to

2012 - $687.5K

than a 45% increase

2013 - $1M

than a 20% to

2014 - $1.2M

Jets exercise 5th year Option - 574% GUARANTEED increase to 

2015 - $6.96M

If the Jets Tag him, which they ABSOLUTELY should if no LT deal by March'16, he would cost a MEASLY

$11.73M for the year. 

Once again, NO RUSH to pay the man unless he comes to a REALISTIC LT deal that benefits BOTH parties, but the man HAS BEEN PAID handsomely and will be MORE SO eventually, but it BUYS us more time to keep Harrison, clear up Shelly's situation/behavior, allow Williams to develop, and most likely improve the OLB and ILB situations; and that's just he defensive side. 

To even FURTHER PILE ON:

2011 - $375K

than an 83% increase to

2012 - $687.5K

than a 45% increase

2013 - $1M

than a 20% to

2014 - $1.2M

2015 - $6.96M

If the Jets Tag him, which they ABSOLUTELY should if no LT deal by March'16, he would cost a MEASLY

$11.73M for the year. 

Once again, NO RUSH to pay the man unless he comes to a REALISTIC LT deal that benefits BOTH parties, but the man HAS BEEN PAID handsomely and will be MORE SO eventually, but it BUYS us more time to keep Harrison, clear up Shelly's situation/behavior, allow Williams to develop, and most likely improve the OLB and ILB situations; and that's just he defensive side. 

How do you get 11.7 million?? Unless I'm reading this wrong..

There are several big-name players on expiring contracts this offseason, and the franchise tag deadline is the last line of defense for a team to retain an unrestricted free agent if it doesn't think it'll be able to sign him to a long-term contract. Each team is given one franchise tag to use per season, and it locks in a player for one year. For that year, he'll earn either an average of the top five salaries at his position, or 120 percent of his salary from the season before, depending on which one is larger.

In other words, it costs an awful lot to retain a player on the franchise tag. The transition tag is similar. It pays a player the greater amount between the average of the top 10 salaries at his position, or 120 percent of his previous year's salary. Players tagged with the transition tag can look to sign elsewhere, but the original team has the right to match any offers they receive. Unlike restricted free agents, there is no compensation if the original team does not match the offer.

To even FURTHER PILE ON:

2011 - $375K

than an 83% increase to

2012 - $687.5K

than a 45% increase

2013 - $1M

than a 20% to

2014 - $1.2M

2015 - $6.96M

$11.73M for the year. 

It's Sheldon. Are you a friend that insists on calling him Shelly, like you know him? Ugh

I trade Mo for a SHOT @ a Franchise QB. I don't see that happening unless Broncos swap us Manning- damaged Goods AT BEST.

Manning is no longer worth trading for, especially a top flight talent such as Wilkerson. Manning may not even be in the league next year and even if he is I wasnt impressed at all of what I seen from him this year and he could be even worse. 

How do you get 11.7 million?? Unless I'm reading this wrong..

There are several big-name players on expiring contracts this offseason, and the franchise tag deadline is the last line of defense for a team to retain an unrestricted free agent if it doesn't think it'll be able to sign him to a long-term contract. Each team is given one franchise tag to use per season, and it locks in a player for one year. For that year, he'll earn either an average of the top five salaries at his position, or 120 percent of his salary from the season before, depending on which one is larger.

In other words, it costs an awful lot to retain a player on the franchise tag. The transition tag is similar. It pays a player the greater amount between the average of the top 10 salaries at his position, or 120 percent of his previous year's salary. Players tagged with the transition tag can look to sign elsewhere, but the original team has the right to match any offers they receive. Unlike restricted free agents, there is no compensation if the original team does not match the offer.

I wasn't aware of the 120% clause. I only did avg top 5 contracts. So by that alone, Mo gets bumped up to either $11.7M by avg or $14.4M by 120% rule. Watts BULL$hit contract bumps up the avg by $2M but he is exceptional, Mo is yet to prove he is congruent for that type of remuneration. 

Mo is worth ~$12M in terms of value; Market bumps him to $14.75M/Yr.  :-( 

Manning is no longer worth trading for, especially a top flight talent such as Wilkerson. Manning may not even be in the league next year and even if he is I wasnt impressed at all of what I seen from him this year and he could be even worse. 

I completely agree, that's why I said Mo ain'ts goinz No Wheeeaa!!!!!

If I believe correctly, it's the AVG. of the top 5 salaries for that position.

JJ Watt Maxes it out at $16M/Yr, but then it drops to the REASONABLE range for the NEXT top 4 3-4 PAID DEs:

3-4 DE isn't a position for purposes of the franchise tag. I don't even know whether it's DE/DT or just DL but it's definitely more than this.

It's end/tackle. Something like 14.8-15.5 for the former in 2016.

valid point about possibly a larger pool of contracts due to a generalized definition according to the CBA. 

SO, all that taken into account & for ARGUMENT SAKE:

you are telling me a 5th year 1st time ProBowler DE breaking double-digit Sack totals TWICE is worth the same compensation & cap percentage of our 9 yr 7xProBwl 4x1stTmAllPro 1st ballot HOF CB? See where you get the bad value? So are we paying for FUTURE production or Past accomplishment to fairly justify $$$ money where we have A PLETHORA of TALENTED DEPTH in replacing Mo. From a FINANCIAL NON-FAN POV, if he doesn't settle for a LT $13.5M, let him walk. :-( 

that said, please Mo, lower your demands and be a Jet for life. 

that's the consensus. At WHAT PRICE? is the debate and tough decision to make. 

Mo took off when Sheldon came on board.. People that want Sheldon gone may want to rethink if Mo will be the same Player once he's gone.. If signing Mo costs Snacks and Sheldon I'm against it..

To even FURTHER PILE ON:

2011 - $375K

than an 83% increase to

2012 - $687.5K

than a 45% increase

2013 - $1M

than a 20% to

2014 - $1.2M

2015 - $6.96M

$11.73M for the year. 

Lol. That's all. 

Archived