Any chance we can get Rex back?

drdetroit

The worst part is other teams are going to see how much success rex has had against Fitz and just copy it.  

That's the second worst part. The worst part is listening to people pine for Rex all off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst part is other teams are going to see how much success rex has had against Fitz and just copy it.  

Yeah because Rex did something wild and crazy yesterday.

Things like, get a missed FG 

Force a 20 yard shank punt

Yes, they're all gonna install wind machines and air conditioners to make the environment difficult to throw in.  Plus they're gonna run that gameplan where the Jets top RB is injured and the pass catching back misses the game. But I guess Rex is the mastermind :rolleyes:

QB- edge 2015(is what most would say but I give edge to 2010)

RBs- edge 2015

WRs- edge 2015

TE- edge 2010

OL- even

DL- edge 2015

LBs-edge 2010

DBs- edge 2010

K- edge 2015

P- even

coverage- edge 2010

pretty close

OL was a lot better in 2010.  They were probably best in the league.

The 2010 D was better, it was the best in the NFL

The 2010 Run game was better, it was the best in the NFL

The 2010 ST game was much better in 2010.

Stop breaking it down to try and make a case for the QB.  

I guess runningback and receiver are a matter of opinion. While we had two studs at receiver this year, 2010 had more depth at receiver. Cotchery, Edwards and Holmes were all solid options.. I guess you could consider runningback a wash. Ivory and Powell were hurt too much to be relied upon. Greene or LT weren't explosive, but they were consistent and LT had solid hands. 

The OL was much better in '10.

D'Brick and Mangold were in the prime of their careers. Moore was much better than Winters/Colon and Woody/Hunter was better than Breno. The only upgrade was Carpenter over Slauson. 

Quigley was god awful this year. Weatherford had a solid year for us in 2010. 

Our #3 in 2010 was better but top tpo bottom this WR corps was better and that was in large part due to the great starting duo.  Holmes and Edwards were very good, Marshall and Decker were great this year.

LT had a great first month but was awful the rest of the year, our RBs were much better and much more consistent this season than 2010.

OLs were similar, maybe slightly better in 2010.  don't forger we won the steeler game w/ Hunter starting and then we won the NE playoff game w/ Hunter starting.

Weatherford was great in reg seasons for us, he just sucked in the playoffs.  then, of course, he goes to NYg and helps key a SB run in 2011 w/ incredible punting.

Our #3 in 2010 was better but top tpo bottom this WR corps was better and that was in large part due to the great starting duo.  Holmes and Edwards were very good, Marshall and Decker were great this year.

LT had a great first month but was awful the rest of the year, our RBs were much better and much more consistent this season than 2010.

OLs were similar, maybe slightly better in 2010.  don't forger we won the steeler game w/ Hunter starting and then we won the NE playoff game w/ Hunter starting.

Weatherford was great in reg seasons for us, he just sucked in the playoffs.  then, of course, he goes to NYg and helps key a SB run in 2011 w/ incredible punting.

Your delusional, the 09 and 10 Olines were phenomenal, the 15 Oline was average. 

OL was a lot better in 2010.  They were probably best in the league.

The 2010 D was better, it was the best in the NFL

The 2010 Run game was better, it was the best in the NFL

The 2010 ST game was much better in 2010.

Stop breaking it down to try and make a case for the QB.  

OLs were very similar.  it's hard to judge on #s but let's look at rushing by RBs and sacks allowed(both teams had mobile QBs)

2010 Greene, LT:

404 carries, 1680 yds, 4,16 YPC, 8 TDs

2015: Ivory, Powell: 317-1383 yds, 4.36 YPC, 8 TDs

edge 2015 especially considering Powell and ivory were hurt a lot.  full, healthy season and they blow by LT/Greene.

2010:

pass attempts 525 sacks: 28.  sacked once every 18.8 attempts

2015:

604 attempts, 22 sacks. sacked once every 27 attempts

you are confusing 2009 and 2010.  2009 we had most yards but were not best, we had some incredible games to skew #s.  in 2010 LT had a great first month but was pretty bad the rest of the year and Greene was average.

our D was ranked 3rd in 2010, 4th this year.  rankings don't always tell the whole story too.  the Ds were very similar

2010 STs coverage was far and away better than 2015 but kicking and punting were pretty similar.

Your delusional, the 09 and 10 Olines were phenomenal, the 15 Oline was average. 

Spot on. The 2009-10 lines were so much better than the line was this year. We have poor tackles and could use another interior lineman to replace Colon/Winters as well. Offensive line should be a top priority for the Jets this offseason. We need a lot of help there. It’s time to address this area of need.

a little note on LT 2010:

games 1-5:

76 carries, 435 yds, 5.7 YPC, 3 TDs

Games 6-15:

143 carries, 479 yds, 3.3 YPC, 3 TDs

but he was better than Ivory w/ that "great" OL in 2010.

I do agree OL should be a  top prioroty, it is getting old but the 2010 OL and 2015 OLs were similar.

In 2015 we gave up 201 total pressures, that tied us for 9th worst in the league. We gave up 152 hurries which was good for 5th worst. The only thing that masked how poorly the line was this year was the fact that we didn’t give up a lot of sacks. But that’s more of a testament to Fitz’s pocket awareness and Gailey’s schemes more so than anything else.

In 2010 we gave up 121 total pressures. That was the least amount in the entire league. We gave our QB a lot of time to throw the football. We gave up only 78 hurries, this was good for best in the league as well.

The 2010 and 2015 lines were not similar. The pass protection was way better in 2010 than it is now. We have a lot of problems on the offensive line masked by low sack numbers.

Yes, they're all gonna install wind machines and air conditioners to make the environment difficult to throw in.  Plus they're gonna run that gameplan where the Jets top RB is injured and the pass catching back misses the game. But I guess Rex is the mastermind :rolleyes:

so what happened the other 7 times Rex beat Fitz?

In 2015 we gave up 201 total pressures, that tied us for 9th worst in the league. We gave up 152 hurries which was good for 5th worst. The only thing that masked how poorly the line was this year was the fact that we didn’t give up a lot of sacks. But that’s more of a testament to Fitz’s pocket awareness and Gailey’s schemes more so than anything else.

In 2010 we gave up 121 total pressures. That was the least amount in the entire league. We gave our QB a lot of time to throw the football. We gave up only 78 hurries, this was good for best in the league as well.

The 2010 and 2015 lines were not similar. The pass protection was way better in 2010 than it is now. We have a lot of problems on the offensive line masked by low sack numbers.

Exactly...Fitz's ability to get rid of the ball so quickly and to take off and run when protection broke down helped this offense immensely.  They got pushed around in several games this season.  Those 2009 and 2010 lines were far superior to this one. 

They'll never admit that even though it's true.  The oft quoted "6 game improvement" is complete nonsense.  Rex has done more with less. 

The 8-8 coaching job 2 years ago with that roster was >>>> the 10-6 Bowles did with this one.

Do I want Rex back?  No.. that ship has sailed.  But the vitriol and ridiculousness that gets spewed here every day gets to be super annoying.

Rex is a defensive mastermind.  His defense got worse from the year before.   Offense pretty good and got to be impressed with Tyrod Taylor pick up. 

Greg Roman improved Buffalo offense in 2015 Rex regressed their defense in 2015. Add it up to 8 and 8.

That's pretty much what happened. It's scary how badly their defense regressed. Rex has to learn that you don't try and fit square pegs in round holes. I've seen this with Rex a lot. Look at the way he used Quinton Coples when he was a Jet. You don't draft a 4-3 defensive end whose at his best when he plays with his hand in the dirt and ask him to be a cover linebacker. And if you do that, you have to realize when its not working and adjust.

Exactly...Fitz's ability to get rid of the ball so quickly and to take off and run when protection broke down helped this offense immensely.  They got pushed around in several games this season.  Those 2009 and 2010 lines were far superior to this one. 

Yup. It's not even close. The line has been something I've been watching all year and it's bothered me. I'm tired of hearing people say how good the line was cause Fitz was good enough not to get sacked a lot. That's scheme and having a smart QB, not the result of a great o-line. It's hard to totally revamp an entire O-line in one off season but I think the Jets should start to begin the process. Our tackles for example were atrocious this year compared to the last year we made the playoffs.

In 2010 we had one of the best left and right tackles in the league. We now have one of the worst combos at the tackle spot in the league. Brick has been a good solider for us. But his run is over.

In 2010 Woody allowed 19 total pressures which was the best for a tackle in football. Brick allowed 27 which tied him for 7th best.

In 2010 Woody allowed 12 hurries which tied him for best in the league. Brick allowed 16, which tied him for 6th best.

Compare that to now?

In 2015 Brick allowed 58 total pressures which tied him for 2nd worst (Ereck Flowers of the Giants was by far the worst), Breno allowed 55 total pressures which was 5th worst

Breno allowed 44 QB hurries which second worst in the league, while Brick allowed 39 total hurries which tied him for 6th worst in the league.

Our tackle play has become a real problem.

Hmm; Bowels took a team that went 4-12 to 10-6; top ten in offense and defense; turned the circus into a professional team; took a team everyone said would be last in division on a 5 game winning streak and just won win away from the playoffs and he is pissed off and feels like a failure.

Rex took a team that was winning, but not in the playoffs to 8-8; took a topped rank defense to 20; has key players vocally unhappy; was eliminated from the playoffs a few weeks back; beat his old team to kick them out of the playoffs to win his superbowl, and he is happy as a clam to still have a job.

Yeah, you know what - I think I will stick with Bowels for a few more years and see if he learns something.  I have seen enough of the Rex show.

Hmm; Bowels took a team that went 4-12 to 10-6; top ten in offense and defense; turned the circus into a professional team; took a team everyone said would be last in division on a 5 game winning streak and just won win away from the playoffs and he is pissed off and feels like a failure.

Rex took a team that was winning, but not in the playoffs to 8-8; took a topped rank defense to 20; has key players vocally unhappy; was eliminated from the playoffs a few weeks back; beat his old team to kick them out of the playoffs to win his superbowl, and he is happy as a clam to still have a job.

Yeah, you know what - I think I will stick with Bowels for a few more years and see if he learns something.  I have seen enough of the Rex show.

bowles did not take us from 4-12 to 10-6, this team was not the same team as 2014.  we had as much, if not more, talent than 2009 and 2010 when rex took us to title games.  this roster was capable of winning 11-12 games and we won 10.  last year Rex was sabotaged by the GM who wanted to hire his own coach and was saving cap space for a future he would never get to oversee.

I like Bowles, I am NOT anti-Bowles but Rex is the better HC.

so what happened the other 7 times Rex beat Fitz?

Fitz against rex D's:

2008 vs. Baltimore: 12-31, 124 yds, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, led O to 3 pts in 34-3 loss

2009 at NY Jets: 10-25, 116 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT in 16-13 OT win.  this was game Sanchez threw 5 INts and we threw 6 INts total.

2009 vs. NY Jets(Toronto) 9-23, 98 yds, 0 TDs, 1 INT, led O to 13 pts

2010 vs. NY Jets: 12-27, 128 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INTs.  led O to 14 pts. last TD was trailing 38-7 late in 4th

2011 vs. NY Jets: 15-31, 191 yds, 1 TD, 2 INTs. Led O to 11 pts w/ 8 of them coming trailing 27-3 late in 4th

2011 at NY Jets: 26-39, 264, 3 TDs, 0 INTs. led O to 21 pts.  ONLY game he has played well against rex

2012 at NY Jets: 18-32, 195 yds, 3 TDs, 3 INTs, led O to 28 pts(3 Tds came after trailing 41-7 in 4th)

2012 vs. NY Jets: 12-26, 225, 1 D, 0 INTs. led O to 21 pts

2015 vs. Buffalo: 15-34, 193 yds, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, led O to 17 pts

2015 at Buffalo: 16-37, 181, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, led O to 17 pts

totals:

145-305, 48%, 1715 yds, 15 TDs, 12 INTs, Led O to avg of 16.1 PPG(w/ many pts coming in garbage time). removing garbage time scores he led O to 12.5 PPG

QB rating against Rex: 65.1 rating

Rex knows how to defend him.

bowles did not take us from 4-12 to 10-6, this team was not the same team as 2014.  we had as much, if not more, talent than 2009 and 2010 when rex took us to title games.  this roster was capable of winning 11-12 games and we won 10.  last year Rex was sabotaged by the GM who wanted to hire his own coach and was saving cap space for a future he would never get to oversee.

I like Bowles, I am NOT anti-Bowles but Rex is the better HC.

Or course it isn't the same team, but still turned the culture around; installed new play books, got the team playing together on his system.  If it was only about the players, you wouldn't need a head coach.  Also, Rex did get us to a title game in the first year, but at 9-7 (not 10-6) and you can argue that the OL in 2009 and 2010 were significantly better; But I was talking this year, given what each coach inherited.  Bowels inherited a 4-12 and changed the culture to get us to 10-6. Plus a 5 game winning streak.

This year (not with Idzik) Rex took a great defense and did worse they we did in the same division.

My real point is that at 10-6 Bowels feels like he failed and Rex feels like he won his super bowl; it is about attitude.  Even if you think Rex is a better HC (which I don't agree with, but still remember fondly our first 2 years with him), you are looking at Bowels as a rookie and Rex is seasoned.

Even with all of that, Rex is a master of wining a meaningless game (as he is no longer conservative) to knock someone out of the playoffs; I want my coach worrying about where the Jets finish instead of spoiling other teams seasons.

Or course it isn't the same team, but still turned the culture around; installed new play books, got the team playing together on his system.  If it was only about the players, you wouldn't need a head coach.  Also, Rex did get us to a title game in the first year, but at 9-7 (not 10-6) and you can argue that the OL in 2009 and 2010 were significantly better; But I was talking this year, given what each coach inherited.  Bowels inherited a 4-12 and changed the culture to get us to 10-6. Plus a 5 game winning streak.

This year (not with Idzik) Rex took a great defense and did worse they we did in the same division.

My real point is that at 10-6 Bowels feels like he failed and Rex feels like he won his super bowl; it is about attitude.  Even if you think Rex is a better HC (which I don't agree with, but still remember fondly our first 2 years with him), you are looking at Bowels as a rookie and Rex is seasoned.

Even with all of that, Rex is a master of wining a meaningless game (as he is no longer conservative) to knock someone out of the playoffs; I want my coach worrying about where the Jets finish instead of spoiling other teams seasons.

it wasn't a culture change that got us to 10-6, it was a talent infusion.  I credit bowles for putting out small fires that may have turn into blazes had rex been here but as a gameday coach he has a lot of improving to do.

at 10-6 Bowles did fail, we had a golden opportunity in a not great AFC and we blew it.  it was a failure.

Outside of 1968 Rex won the biggest game in franchise history and he holds the Jets record for playoff wins so it's not fair to say he wins meaningless games.

it wasn't a culture change that got us to 10-6, it was a talent infusion.  I credit bowles for putting out small fires that may have turn into blazes had rex been here but as a gameday coach he has a lot of improving to do.

at 10-6 Bowles did fail, we had a golden opportunity in a not great AFC and we blew it.  it was a failure.

Outside of 1968 Rex won the biggest game in franchise history and he holds the Jets record for playoff wins so it's not fair to say he wins meaningless games.

He's 12 games under .500 since the start of his third coaching year in the league. He can't live on those first 2 seasons forever. He did a bad job with a talented Bills team this year. He was getting killed in Buffalo. He got off to a great start but has proved nothing since taking Mangini/Tannenbaums teams on deep playoff runs. He was probably what the Jets needed at the time as Mangini micromanaged everything and was extremely demanding of his players, but he has not done a good job after year 2 in New York.

I would argue that culture change was critical; we never quit, rarely got blown out, won 5 in a row.  If you think it was only talent infusion, then it doesn't really matter who is HC.

If 10-6 Bowels is a failure, that not sure how you can call Rex a better HC at 8-8.

It is easy to say non of the wins were about Bowels, but none of the loses were about Rex? Oaky, it is only about talent, so i guess it doesn't matter who the coach is.

Here is my problem with Rex, he beat us, knocked us out of the playoffs and is dancing around like he won it all; just like when Wilson would get burned and the receiver would drop the ball and he would wag his finger like he was all of that.

Mario Williams went from a sack master to a nobody without much talent change, but Rex is the best.  Got it.

This season was the furthest thing from a failure. Bowles and Gailey took a journeyman QB in Fitz and turned him into one the best QB we've had in a good while, all while having no o-line. They were coming off a 4 win season, the season ended bad in Buffalo but we won 5 games in a row to make that game mean something.

The Jets did a good job this year, but they need to build off of it going forward into next season.

He's 12 games under .500 since the start of his third coaching year in the league. He can't live on those first 2 seasons forever. He did a bad job with a talented Bills team this year. He was getting killed in Buffalo. He got off to a great start but has proved nothing since taking Mangini/Tannenbaums teams on deep playoff runs. He was probably what the Jets needed at the time as Mangini micromanaged everything and was extremely demanding of his players, but he has not done a good job after year 2 in New York.

what happened post 2010? each year the talent went down then we brought in a GM who didn't want him and sabotaged him.

he did a bad job in Buffalo but he had selfish players on D who didn't buy in/.  when he took over here he brought some of his guys in to help the transition., he didn't do that in Buffalo and that was his biggest mistake.  he had guys that wanted individual #s over wins.

I think our mistake was firing Tannenbaum, there was no way rex could survive a 3rd GM and idzik was the real problem here in recent years.  I like Bowles but he didn't get the job done when everything broke perfect for us.

I would argue that culture change was critical; we never quit, rarely got blown out, won 5 in a row.  If you think it was only talent infusion, then it doesn't really matter who is HC.

If 10-6 Bowels is a failure, that not sure how you can call Rex a better HC at 8-8.

It is easy to say non of the wins were about Bowels, but none of the loses were about Rex? Oaky, it is only about talent, so i guess it doesn't matter who the coach is.

Here is my problem with Rex, he beat us, knocked us out of the playoffs and is dancing around like he won it all; just like when Wilson would get burned and the receiver would drop the ball and he would wag his finger like he was all of that.

Mario Williams went from a sack master to a nobody without much talent change, but Rex is the best.  Got it.

does it matter if we lose by 3 or by 30?  Rex had more blowout losses but the team always regrouped.  we lost 45-3 to NE then a month later in playoffs whipped them.

10 wins is meaningless w/o the playoffs.  it beats 4-12 but everything broke perfect, we had the most talented we have had since at least 2009 in a year w/ no AFC powerhouse and we blew it largely b/.c of the coach in week 17.  that doesn't mean Bowles won't be a really good HC but he failed us in the biggest spot.

Mario Williams has always been highly overrated, it wasn't a coincidence Houston got better w/o him.  he's a selfish player and he will be gone soon. you would think a guy that has never won anything would buy in like Marshall did for us but Mario only cares about meaningless sacks.

This season was the furthest thing from a failure. Bowles and Gailey took a journeyman QB in Fitz and turned him into one the best QB we've had in a good while, all while having no o-line. They were coming off a 4 win season, the season ended bad in Buffalo but we won 5 games in a row to make that game mean something.

The Jets did a good job this year, but they need to build off of it going forward into next season.

the Ol was fine, we had the best WRs we have had in decades, we had really good RBs and a good OC Fitz played under and knew the system. 

5 games in a row means nothing w/o postseason.  we won 5 games in a row in 1993 too, do we celebrate that?  we also choked to end that year too.

the jets did a decent job this year, everything broke perfect and we couldn't take advantage.  it will get harder next year not easier but hopefully we break through next year.

Archived