Marshall and Decker are good but Enunwa, Thompkins, and Devin Smith won't cut it in 2016

jetscrazey

For all the good blocking Enunwa does, he drops a pass for every good catch he makes.   Thompkins was a street free agent, outside of a couple of plays didn't give us much.  Devin Smith can run straight, fast.  That's about all he can do.  Kerley can't block so is useless to the system.

Finding a #3 WR who can catch and run good routes underneath while also not being completely useless as a blocker in the run game should be Maccagnan's #1 priority on offense.  I guess we'll have to find out if Jace Amaro can be that guy, but his hands are suspect too.  I think we need a real possession receiver.

His #2 priority should be finding another running back who can catch passes out the backfield.  That Bilal Powell was the 3rd best option shows you how underwhelming all these other guys are.  It's why we couldn't beat teams with good defenses and mediocre offenses.Bilal Powell has serious durability issues and his injuries just crippled the passing game.  Look at the splits in games where Powell played vs. games he was out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

our WR corps is really good, no issues there.  we have pressing needs elsewhere

Are you mad?!! Lay off the lithium. 

We have an amazing duo, but everything behind them is lobotomy... and we run 4 WR sets 80% of the team. 

We have issues there. 

For all the good blocking Enunwa does, he drops a pass for every good catch he makes.   Thompkins was a street free agent, outside of a couple of plays didn't give us much.  Devin Smith can run straight, fast.  That's about all he can do.  Kerley can't block so is useless to the system.

Finding a #3 WR who can catch and run good routes underneath while also not being completely useless as a blocker in the run game should be Maccagnan's #1 priority on offense.  I guess we'll have to find out if Jace Amaro can be that guy, but his hands are suspect too.  I think we need a real possession receiver.

His #2 priority should be finding another running back who can catch passes out the backfield.  That Bilal Powell was the 3rd best option shows you how underwhelming all these other guys are.  It's why we couldn't beat teams with good defenses and mediocre offenses.Bilal Powell has serious durability issues and his injuries just crippled the passing game.  Look at the splits in games where Powell played vs. games he was out.

You're crazy if you think the Jets should give up on Enunwa and Smith coming off this season .  Yes, the Jets need to add another dynamic WR, especially someone who can remove the stench of Kerley from punt returns, but IMO, not at the expense of 2 guys who have the potential of Smith and Enunwa .

after seeing how devin smith didn't develop, how kerley wasn't used and how the other wrs weren't reliable, you'd have to assume they sign a wr in FA, maybe a TE depending on the market, and would certainly be looking at wrs in the first 2 rounds.  the offense failed 2x vs the bills in crunch situations and got off to too many slow starts in losses (eagles, raiders).  

Devin Smith was a rookie who missed all of training camp and was just starting to get comfortable when he got hurt again.  Hopefully he can stay healthy; that is my biggest concern with him.  We should have Jace Amaro back and as much as folks on this board rag on him, I am looking forward to seeing him in this offense.   Enunwa and Thompkins should be pushed by either a free agent or rookie signing, however I am comfortable with both of them.  

We have an amazing duo, but everything behind them is lobotomy... and we run 4 WR sets 80% of the team. 

We have issues there. 

Enunwa was basically a rookie and played really well, Thompkins we got midseason and he had moments.  smith was a rookie who was hurt.  our WR corps is the best top to bottom I have seen in decades.

the other WRs didn't make Fitz throw that INT that killed us.  they didn't make the D allow Buf to hold the ball for 40 minutes.  we have many more needs than WR.  the WRs are why we had a chance.

I am sure it has happened but someone help me out here.  When did a WR with bad hands ever turn into one with good hands because I do not remember that.  If it did happen and I am sure it must have at some point then it is rare.  Very rare.

Right now Enunwa and Smith both have that enormous strike against them until they prove that they do not.  The last WR that we were told could get past this with good coaching was Stephen Hill and he currently is bagging groceries somewhere.

Enunwa made progress and is a beast. devein Smith was a #2 pick, Mac's pick. Neither of them are going anywhere.  Thompkins I can see being cut.  But indeed, we need a quality wr to go along with Decker and Marshall.  Free agents .....Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu are 2 that come to mind and can be had cheap.  RB's...Forte, Lamar Miller, CJ Anderson   Hope Mac can bring in some fresh talent.  He better.

Kerley must have really pissed off management.  Maybe they felt he was overpaid and maybe he did not want to return punts anymore.  In return they continued to trot him out there on punts and he agreed to fair catch and no more.  Kerley will be gone very soon as it is clearly personal at this point.

Enunwa made progress and is a beast. devein Smith was a #2 pick, Mac's pick. Neither of them are going anywhere.  Thompkins I can see being cut.  But indeed, we need a quality wr to go along with Decker and Marshall.  Free agents .....Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu are 2 that come to mind and can be had cheap.  RB's...Forte, Lamar Miller, CJ Anderson   Hope Mac can bring in some fresh talent.  He better.

Enunwa is a drive killer.  Way too many drops.  At this point I am actually astonished when he manages to hang onto one.

We have issues there. 

as a whole the jets WR core is not an issue.  obviously the #3-5 WR's aren't the greatest, but that's why they are #3-5.  

give devin smith a break, he was a rookie and played 10 games.  remember how much pryor sucked last year?  if smith can improve, maybe our #3 WR is set.  WR4 and 5 aren't priorities.

our WR corps is really good, no issues there.  we have pressing needs elsewhere

lol, during the win streak, the Jets offense was successful because Bilal Powell and Enunwa were able to provide a 3rd receiving option. During the 1-4 stretch (when Powell was out) and yesterday, that 3rd receiving threat was not there, and the offense suddenly became very defensible. 

We need additional receiving options. Nobody is advocating that it come at the expense of making other improvements.

Enunwa was basically a rookie and played really well,

I stopped reading here. He's been terrible. Awful. He couldn't possibly look more lost and unnatural at the position in the NFL. Sure, he's a physical specimen - and if you can fedex the ball into his hands, he can make plays - but he's playing receiver for christ sakes. A receiver that can't catch, can't adjust, can't position himself...

Hell no. 

Enunwa is a drive killer.  Way too many drops.  At this point I am actually astonished when he manages to hang onto one.

At this point, I'm actually in awe of him having a role on this team... he is one of the easiest examples to point to when making the case that "stubbornness" by coaches hurts this team at times. Not changing the coverage yesterday is an example. Continuing to kill drives by throwing to Kellen Davis and Enunwa is another.

Kerley must have really pissed off management.  Maybe they felt he was overpaid and maybe he did not want to return punts anymore.  In return they continued to trot him out there on punts and he agreed to fair catch and no more.  Kerley will be gone very soon as it is clearly personal at this point.

I wonder if he played a role in the IK punch.

I don't like Thompkins. I think we can find better for similar money.

I'm not hot on Enunwa but if we are staying with Gailey's system and we can get the guy dropping fewer passes then he is definitely staying on the roster.

Devin Smith is a rookie who played little time. He's fragile but worth looking at for another year. We can't just burn draft picks without trying to develop them. He wasn't given much time to develop due to injuries.

As a whole our receiving corps gets so much better if Smith and Enunwa are developed by a good receiver coach over the offseason rather than fishing around in FA or the draft and starting from scratch on WR 3 and 4. Plus, we have other needs to acquire over the offseason.

You're crazy if you think the Jets should give up on Enunwa and Smith coming off this season .  Yes, the Jets need to add another dynamic WR, especially someone who can remove the stench of Kerley from punt returns, but IMO, not at the expense of 2 guys who have the potential of Smith and Enunwa .

Definitely no reason to give up on either... but do something to make them less integral to the success of the team right now. Their biggest impacts should be on special teams, not killing drives and giving away 6 points to our opponents.

You're crazy if you think the Jets should give up on SMITH, agreed 100%... All he's shown us, is that he's not going to be the next Odell and blow up year 1.. but he's far from a write off.

Enunwa? fck off with that guy. He's a JAG who was never a natural receiver. He's a sh*tty Brad Smith. 

I stopped reading here. He's been terrible. Awful. He couldn't possibly look more lost and unnatural at the position in the NFL. Sure, he's a physical specimen - and if you can fedex the ball into his hands, he can make plays - but he's playing receiver for christ sakes. A receiver that can't catch, can't adjust, can't position himself...

Hell no. 

how many big catches did he have for us? 

his hands are inconsistent, all of our WRs had that issue this year.  that doesn't mean it will always be there. 

The Jets have no RB under contract for 2016.  Petty and Geno only QBs under contract.  They have one G spot manned by Brian Winters.  Mangold, Ferguson and Giacomini are varying levels of overpaid.  Cromartie is due $8M and probably not worth it, so they may have to make a move there.  The only TEs are Cumberland and Davis who are both well below sub-par.  The only OLBs under contract are Mauldin and Reilly, neither of whom played much, particularly in non-pass rush situations.  Snacks is a FA.  Richardson may be due a longer suspension and made a huge mental blunder yesterday.  The best player on the team is a FA and apparently broke his leg. Demario Davis is a FA they will probably let walk which is fine, but Erin Henderson is also a FA.  I don't know about you guys, but I think the potential for getting stuck with Devin Smith, Kerley and Owusu fighting it out for #3 WR is pretty far from Job 1 for Maccagnan.

how many big catches did he have for us? 

his hands are inconsistent, all of our WRs had that issue this year.  that doesn't mean it will always be there. 

You don't know what you're talking about.

Big catches? Are we developing his "hands" now?  Hey I got an idea - why don't we draft a running back, and we'll develop his legs. See if we can teach him to run.

I don't agree about Quincy. I think he's going to be a good player. Thompkins I get rid of. As for Devin the coaching staff liked him during the season. I think Gailey went to him way too much. He shouldn't have been used in clutch situations. But they seemed to like him and felt he was on the way to being a good receiver. So you don't get rid of him. 

You don't know what you're talking about. Big catches? Are we developing his "hands" now? We develop hands?... Hey I got an idea - why don't we draft a running back, and we'll develop his legs. See if we can teach him to run.

he didn't have any big catches? how soon we forget vs. new Englad LAST WEEK.  he also had  that big catch at Indy when they pulled w/in 3 in the 4th and the big catch at dallas a few weeks ago on that 3rd and long.  the man is a 2nd yr player and was basically a rookie as he barely played last year and you want to throw him away?  foolish.

and as far as the hands thing, you have never seen young players struggle catching the ball?>  heck a vet like Braylon Edwards had a million drops in 2009 then didn't drop a pass in 2010.

You're crazy if you think the Jets should give up on SMITH, agreed 100%... All he's shown us, is that he's not going to be the next Odell and blow up year 1.. but he's far from a write off.

Enunwa? fck off with that guy. He's a JAG who was never a natural receiver. He's a sh*tty Brad Smith. 

Enunwa has carved out a role for himself on this team whether fans like it or not. To tell you the truth, I would rather have him on this team over Cumberland, or Amaro or any of the can't block can't catch TEs we presently have on the roster.   There's a lot there to work with and worth taking the time to develop. Yes, the Jets need to address the WR position, and if it's Coleman I have no problem with it.  I want to add speed and play making ability to this offense with Versatile players..

Enunwa has carved out a role for himself on this team whether fans like it or not. To tell you the truth, I would rather have him on this team over Cumberland, or Amaro or any of the can't block can't catch TEs we presently have on the roster.   There's a lot there to work with and worth taking the time to develop. Yes, the Jets need to address the WR position, and if it's Coleman I have no problem with it.  I want to add speed and play making ability to this offense with Versatile players..

he's more than welcome to fight for scraps vs Amaro and whatever other joker/tight-end we enlist... but i don't want to see him lining up outside again. Ever.  

You guys are all sluts. If all a guy has to do is catch 40% of his passes and run through the field like a gazelle - and you'll give him unlimited leash?... Must be easy being easy. 

We did that very thing with Stephen Hill while successive coaching staffs learned the lesson that bad hands cannot be untaught.

Archived