Jets to Select 20th Overall

Morrissey

I would think hunter Henry the Arkansas tight end would be a good pick at 20. I hate drafting tight ends in the first but that guy is special. 

I like Henry a lot (duh), and he's got a good chance to be selected in the first based on his smooth receiving chops... as for the jets, I wish we ran more "12 personnel" that uses 2 TEs but we often run 10 or 01 with 4 WRs and 1/no TEs... drafting Henry would be saying we give up on Amaro, and I don't think they'll be that hasty. Not with the "other" Henry, Elliot, Coleman, and other playmakers on offense likely to be available at #20. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's that time of year for us already unfortunately but I saw this:

@TonyPauline Insiders tell me New York Jets will target a QB in the 1st two rounds. Team has been extensively scouting the top QB prospects all season

that's nice, but unless they trade up they're not getting lynch or goff.  does this mean hackenburg or cook?  who else, the guy from north dakota?

that's nice, but unless they trade up they're not getting lynch or goff.  does this mean hackenburg or cook?  who else, the guy from north dakota?

Basically that's your top 5 at the position.  2 first round hopefuls, a Michigan state maybe, Penn State's own Ryan Leaf, and a guy from North Dakota who's been playing against CFL competition. An underwhelming group to say the least.

Lynch and Goff will go top 10... someone will probably fall in love with Cook (pray it won't be us) and you're left with Wentz. I wouldn't spend #20 on that question mark. 

Basically that's your top 5 at the position.  2 first round hopefuls, a Michigan state maybe, Penn State's own Ryan Leaf, and a guy from North Dakota who's been playing against CFL competition. An underwhelming group to say the least.

Lynch and Goff will go top 10... someone will probably fall in love with Cook (pray it won't be us) and you're left with Wentz. I wouldn't spend #20 on that question mark. 

a team like the eagles or rams may reach for cook.  it's unclear if a guy they can get in the 2nd round is even as good a prospect at petty, except for maybe a familiarity with a pro style offense.  and mccags doesn't seem the type to reach for a qb, given they didn't at houston and how he drafted last year for value rather than need.

Via Tony Pauline:

Insiders tell me New York Jets will target a QB in the 1st two rounds.  Team has been extensively scouting the top QB prospects all season

Petty was a 4th rnd pick & I'm hearing other things which lead many to believe they feel the need to bring in another young QB

Love Wentz but don't think he's Rd 1 at this point.  Status of wrist & ability to practice @ Senior Bowl will determine much

Via Tony Pauline:

Insiders tell me New York Jets will target a QB in the 1st two rounds.  Team has been extensively scouting the top QB prospects all season

Petty was a 4th rnd pick & I'm hearing other things which lead many to believe they feel the need to bring in another young QB

Love Wentz but don't think he's Rd 1 at this point.  Status of wrist & ability to practice @ Senior Bowl will determine much

This is stupid reporting.  The Jets already know what position they're targeting but they dont even know what QB's are coming out?

I'm pretty confident, the Jets have no clue who are what they're taking at #20.

This is stupid reporting.  The Jets already know what position they're targeting but they dont even know what QB's are coming out?

thats good because he said first 2 rounds

I'd take that as a way communicating where their heads are at... The search for Spock didn't end with Fitz's revelatory year - is all that message is intimating. 

I read mid season that jets scouts were at cal watching goff. I'm sure Todd Bowles can't say who he thinks we should draft but I can see a scenario that our scouting staff has already been watching these guys closely. Maybe even mccagnan. 

Via Tony Pauline:

Cool - we have more reporting with unnamed sources.

Jets are likely going BPA even at the #20 spot.  And, when drafting for need, pretty much everyone realizes we need OLB.

Also, last year, Mac added via FA to fill the major holes and then drafted BPA in first round.  Expect the same (with a smaller amount of money to spend).

thats good because he said first 2 rounds

I assumed that he meant, taking a QB with one of the picks in the first 2 rounds.  Isnt that every teams wish without a franchise QB?  

I'd take that as a way communicating where their heads are at... The search for Spock didn't end with Fitz's revelatory year - is all that message is intimating. 

Good point and thats how it should be...but like I said above, it shouldnt be a surprise.  Every team without a QB is hoping to find one in the first 2 rounds. 

I read mid season that jets scouts were at cal watching goff. I'm sure Todd Bowles can't say who he thinks we should draft but I can see a scenario that our scouting staff has already been watching these guys closely. Maybe even mccagnan. 

I would hope the Jets have scouts out there watching prospects.  And I'm not saying this is wrong but it just stupid duh type of reporting.  Ofcourse they want a QB in the first 2 rounds but acting like that is what they're doing when they dont who is even coming out is just bad reporting. 

This is not a good QB draft. No blue chippers.

That is good.  When you are picking 20th you are not getting a blue chipper.

Reminds me of Bledose. Prefer Jared Goff who reminds me of Montana. Who would you rather have, Bledsoe or Montana.

I would bet that prospect compared to Bledsoe fare 90% better than guys compared to Montana.  It's like every WR that runs a 4.6 being compared to Rice.  Would you pass on Jerry Rice?  No, but he didn't really run 4.6 and those sh*tty prospects aren't Jerry Rice. (Jordan White!)

see if the 49ers are willing to give us the rights to Anthony Davis for a mid round pick

You ready to roll the dice on Jake Long yet?

I assumed that he meant, taking a QB with one of the picks in the first 2 rounds.  Isnt that every teams wish without a franchise QB?  

Good point and thats how it should be...but like I said above, it shouldnt be a surprise.  Every team without a QB is hoping to find one in the first 2 rounds. 

I would hope the Jets have scouts out there watching prospects.  And I'm not saying this is wrong but it just stupid duh type of reporting.  Ofcourse they want a QB in the first 2 rounds but acting like that is what they're doing when they dont who is even coming out is just bad reporting. 

i'd be more concerned if they weren't scouting qbs.  but unlike tanny i don't think they're reaching for one now.

Cool - we have more reporting with unnamed sources.

Jets are likely going BPA even at the #20 spot.  And, when drafting for need, pretty much everyone realizes we need OLB.

Also, last year, Mac added via FA to fill the major holes and then drafted BPA in first round.  Expect the same (with a smaller amount of money to spend).

cool. He didn't limit it to 20. 

Whatever. Enjoy the offseason. 

cool. He didn't limit it to 20. 

Whatever. Enjoy the offseason. 

Unnamed source -- made up in my mind.

If the BPA in round 1 is an OL; then I would expect we likely go OLB in the second.  That was kind of my point - so that would mean not in first 2 rounds unless we trade Mo or something.  It should be fun to watch, however.

Here are 2 Wentz videos. I particularly like the tape against Iowa State, a team from a power 5 conference:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/carson-wentz-vs-south-dakota-state-2015/

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/carson-wentz-vs-south-dakota-state-2015/

Wentz must have a lot of interweb fans... I've never seen a small school guy with so many videos. There's a gazillion on Youtube... I'll be dinning on them later this month. 

That is good.  When you are picking 20th you are not getting a blue chipper.

I would bet that prospect compared to Bledsoe fare 90% better than guys compared to Montana.  It's like every WR that runs a 4.6 being compared to Rice.  Would you pass on Jerry Rice?  No, but he didn't really run 4.6 and those sh*tty prospects aren't Jerry Rice. (Jordan White!)

You ready to roll the dice on Jake Long yet?

did Anthony Davis become 30 and wrecked by injuries?

Via Tony Pauline:

are these the same insiders that told Pauline Kyle Wilson was a franchise Corner?

I barely know anything about the guy (beyond reading a little and watching a couple of videos) but I'm all in on Goff (if the front office likes him, of course). 

I barely know anything about the guy (beyond reading a little and watching a couple of videos) but I'm all in on Goff (if the front office likes him, of course). 

I really like Goff, I hope we have a shot at him, but it's highly unlikely. I read reports about Macc personally scouting Goff a couple of times this year. Here is a taste of Goff:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-goff-vs-air-force-2015/

I really like Goff, I hope we have a shot at him, but it's highly unlikely. I read reports about Macc personally scouting Goff a couple of times this year. Here is a taste of Goff:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-goff-vs-air-force-2015/

I watched for about a minute.  I also want the jets to draft Weston Steelhammer.  No idea if he can play but what a name!

http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/weston_steelhammer_861755.html

Blurb from ESPN article.

The 6-foot-4, 236-pound Hackenberg threw for 2,995 yards and 20 touchdowns as a true freshman in 2013. Hackenberg threw only 12 touchdown passes with 15 interceptions last year -- a decline that had plenty do with a bad offensive line and a new playbook -- but the expectations are sky high for him again. UMass head coach Mark Whipple, a former Pittsburgh Steelersquarterbacks coach, compared Hackenberg to Ben Roethlisberger last year and told reporters that Hackenberg would've been the first player picked in the 2014 draft had he been eligible after his freshman year. Said one AFC scout: "I've seen all three of these guys, and Hack is the best talent."

Archived