Chris Ivory... from monster season to Ghost ~ ~ ~

kelly

Need to get a younger rb. Lamar miller please 

Why is everyone here on the Lamar Miller bandwagon? He's a solid player, but not worth the free agent contract he will command when you can find a similar player in the middle rounds of the draft. The Jets don't have the extra money to be going after upper tier free agent running backs. There are better places to spend money, like on the offensive line that opens the holes for the running back.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only justification in my mind is that the Jets are angling to extend his deal and therefore did not want to risk a more serious injury for the future.

But if they let him go as a free agent, and he signs a reasonable deal elsewhere, that's definitely a reason to be pissed.  Had the Jets anticipated him walking, then RUN HIM INTO THE GROUND.  This game was for the playoffs.  He needed to be getting 12-15 touches in that game at bare minimum with Bilal unavailable.

IF so that would be the worst justification ever and if so I would lose all confidence in the CS. Save a player for next year when you need this game to extend your season? OMG!!! 

The last game of the season loss missing the playoffs in on Todd Bowles and Fitzpatrick,Bowles for not using Ivory more and Fitz for throwing 3 picks in a row. 

Ivory reeled off a  a 58 yard run only to find himself on the bench watching little effective Ridley. DAMMIT 

1. Fitz 3 picks: people forget his first throw of the game was nearly a pick-6, and his first throw of the third drive from Jets' 12 yard line was right in the gut of Corey Graham with nothing ahead except endzone but he couldn't hold on. 

2. Ivory 58 yarder: And Jets ended up with nada. The Fizz couldn't finish a 1st & 10 at the BUF 22 and Bullock whiffed the uprights.

Why is everyone here on the Lamar Miller bandwagon? He's a solid player, but not worth the free agent contract he will command when you can find a similar player in the middle rounds of the draft. The Jets don't have the extra money to be going after upper tier free agent running backs. There are better places to spend money, like on the offensive line that opens the holes for the running back.  

because offense wins in this league and lamar miller is young and better than chris ivory. you saw for yourself what happened to our offense  (see final game of season when we needed a win) when we don't have a good runningback. ivory breaks down. powell should be re-signed. 

it was a windstorm and Gailey was still pass happy. This was on Chan. We were never so far behind we had to relegate Ivory to only a handful of carries. He ripped off a sixty yards when he got a few touches. It was stubbornness and a refusal to adapt that cost us that game and forced Fitz ti throw in less than optimal conditions. 

Ivory had a bad right knee all week and they risked losing him for the playoffs. Funny that Fizz struggled with the conditions but Tyrod didn't - in his first season at Ralph Wilson. Fizz played there four straight years, he knew all about it. Also overlooked by Fizz apologists are his identical sucky numbers against Buffalo at Metlife. Both games less than 200 yards passing, 44% completions, < 30% on 3rd down conversions. Both games two or more picks and a 22-17 loss. Jets were supposed to take control this time and clinch a Wild Card, not lose the same way to the same team they lost to seven weeks ago and piss the season away.

Chris Ivory's appearance in the Pro Bowl on Sunday night may have been his final game in a New York Jets uniform -- more specifically, a Jets helmet. He will be an unrestricted free agent next month, and the indicators suggest he will sign elsewhere.Ivory is coming off his most productive season, including an AFC-best 1,070 rushing yards, but there are three factors working against his return: his age (28 next month), his late-season decline, and the Jets' tight salary cap situation.

The Jets have seven starters heading to free agency, and Ivory probably is no higher than fourth on the priority list. With only $14 million in projected cap space (a loose projection at this point), there's no way to retain every good player. You get the feeling Ivory can read the handwriting on the wall."I'm not sure what's going to happen," Ivory told NFL Media before the Pro Bowl, where he ended up with almost as many "touches" (four) as he did in the Jets' season finale (six). "I would like to stay in New York if we reach an agreement. But I know the cap space they're working with and everything and the other guys they have to get signed or want to get signed back. But if it doesn't work out, I'm just looking forward to continuing my career elsewhere if it happens to go that way."

Ivory said he has spoken to the team about his future, adding, "They want to bring me back, but like I said, I think it's about the cap space. That's going to be the biggest factor as to whether I'm back or not."No doubt, Ivory will garner interest on the open market. He'll be one of the most coveted running backs, probably behind Doug Martin and Lamar Miller, with Alfred Morris and Matt Forte also in the conversation. Ivory was a restricted free agent in 2013, when he was traded to the Jets and signed a three-year, $6 million contract, so this will be his first go-round as an unrestricted free agent.Ivory, underpaid the past two years, is expected to seek at least $4 million per year. (Why wouldn't he?) In 2015, the Jets' devoted $7 million in cap space to their running backs (11th in the league), and it's unlikely they will go higher in 2016. With only one back under contract, the injured Zac Stacy, they have to be smart about how they distribute the money.

What kind of contract can Ivory expect? Let's look at a few noteworthy deals from 2015 free agency :

DeMarco Murray -- five years, $40 million ($18 million guaranteed)

Frank Gore -- three years, $12 million ($6.5 million)

Mark Ingram -- four years, $16 million ($6.1 million)

C.J. Spiller -- four years, $16 million ($5.75 million)

Ryan Matthews -- three years, $11 million ($5 million)

Shane Vereen -- three years, $12.4 million ($4.75 million)

Justin Forsett -- three years, $9 million ($2.1 million)

Murray was the the outlier -- just a dumb contract by the Eagles, one they already regret. The hunch here is that Ivory will land a deal similar to that of Matthews'. Remember, the running back position has been devalued in recent years, so only in rare cases does a player make an absolute killing.

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58230/chris-ivorys-pro-bowl-cameo-likely-his-final-game-as-a-jet

Ivory had a bad right knee all week and they risked losing him for the playoffs. Funny that Fizz struggled with the conditions but Tyrod didn't - in his first season at Ralph Wilson. Fizz played there four straight years, he knew all about it. Also overlooked by Fizz apologists are his identical sucky numbers against Buffalo at Metlife. Both games less than 200 yards passing, 44% completions, < 30% on 3rd down conversions. Both games two or more picks and a 22-17 loss. Jets were supposed to take control this time and clinch a Wild Card, not lose the same way to the same team they lost to seven weeks ago and piss the season away.

Fitz definitely seemed tense / edgy all day ... his throws were being forced in there, with less touch than he used in previous weeks.

I think the tension just got to him. It happens. Best case he can build from this and learn (he's not exactly faced many similar situations in the past).

Fitz definitely seemed tense / edgy all day ... his throws were being forced in there, with less touch than he used in previous weeks.

I think the tension just got to him. It happens. Best case he can build from this and learn (he's not exactly faced many similar situations in the past).

No disrespect, but that ship has sailed. After 10 years in the league, I would hope Fitz would have "built upon it" by now.  After impressive starts, Fitz always finds himself and his team in the same place, out of the playoffs.

The bigger issue was why was such an awful player like Ridley even on the roster and hence in a position to be a key factor in the game.

Because he started the season as the 4th RB?

Only was forced into playing because Ivory, Powell and Stacy were injured?

What the coaching staff did with Chris Ivory vs. the Bills was criminal.  Someone should be locked up for it.

Stevan Ridley was the game plan?  **** sake.  smh

Is it possible that maybe on that one long run that it was just by chance that the right blocks and holes opened up for whoever was in the backfield? 

You mean his other 5 attempts where he average 4.6 per?  

Okay

Yes.  You can read a stat sheet and continue to make wild claims of what happened while ignoring the obvious.  He didnt look like himself, I could care less what his numbers in a handful of carries were.  All the obvious signs point to him being injured.  Not being saved for another day, not being saved for 2016, not some idiotic game plan, not Rex outcoaching anyone. 

Yes.  You can read a stat sheet and continue to make wild claims of what happened while ignoring the obvious.  He didnt look like himself, I could care less what his numbers in a handful of carries were.  All the obvious signs point to him being injured.  Not being saved for another day, not being saved for 2016, not some idiotic game plan, not Rex outcoaching anyone. 

You're right.  He didnt look like himself.   He looked like the shot out of a cannon version of Chris Ivory.

He was so injured, he found a tiny little hole, turned the corner, ran their entire defense and had his longest run of the year.  So injured. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2xc2byh88

You're right.  He didnt look like himself.   He looked like the shot out of a cannon version of Chris Ivory.

He was so injured, he found a tiny little hole, turned the corner, ran their entire defense and had his longest run of the year.  So injured. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2xc2byh88

No, YOURE right.  It was a mistake by the coaching staff.  

Because as we all know injuries mean you cant do a thing.  That you either can or cant play.  There isnt a scenario, ever, where an injury can limit you to say, under 10 carriers.  If you can make 6 runs you can make 20.  You are right, what were we all thinking.  Makes much more sense that Bowles, Chan etc had no idea that the healthy Ivory would be a help to the team.  They never heard that in cold, windy weather a RB could provide help.  They werent interested in making the playoffs anyway but figured id they did then that Ivory guy would be healthier.  Or at worst would get off to a better 2016.  Wherever that might be.  

That has to be it

No, YOURE right.  It was a mistake by the coaching staff.  

Because as we all know injuries mean you cant do a thing.  That you either can or cant play.  There isnt a scenario, ever, where an injury can limit you to say, under 10 carriers.  If you can make 6 runs you can make 20.  You are right, what were we all thinking.  Makes much more sense that Bowles, Chan etc had no idea that the healthy Ivory would be a help to the team.  They never heard that in cold, windy weather a RB could provide help.  They werent interested in making the playoffs anyway but figured id they did then that Ivory guy would be healthier.  Or at worst would get off to a better 2016.  Wherever that might be.  

That has to be it

"Stevan Ridley was the game plan" - Todd Bowles

"As long as I' a HC, Mark Sanchez will be my starting QB" - Rex Ryan

"Brian Schottenheimer is a great coach and we believe he will get a HC'ing job this year". - Rex Ryan

1 week later Schottenheimer was fired.

Still failing to show relevance...

With no Powell, a banged up, unreliable, and declining Ivory, and Ridley looking more than apt the week before against the Pats, what else did you expect them to do?

Give the ball to Ivory more and not make Ridley and his 30 yards on 30 touches coming into the game, "the game plan".  Sign another RB might have been smart. 

Ivory was fine.  This was just classic stupidity.

Archived