Was Parcells more bad than good for Jets in the long term?

AFJF

He even sat Phil Simms for a season and he wasn't a rookie.. The Tuna also said a rookie will cost you at least 1 game when you start them..

He did play a 3rd year free agent named Tony Romo in all 16 games . And  Simms was  in his 3rd year as a starter when he moved from DC to HC. Suspect had he seen Manning in camp next to  overpaid Neil O'Donnell, he starts Manning. But we'll never know. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Favre would have succeeded here had we drafted him.  we were a mess in mgmt and coaching and we give up on players too quickly. 

Coslet was the OC when the Bengals made the Bowl so I think Favre would have done fine with him when he was the HC in the early 90's..

Coslet was the OC when the Bengals made the Bowl so I think Favre would have done fine with him when he was the HC in the early 90's..

he was a terrible HC though.  who knows? knowing what we did back then and how quick the fans and media turn on players I think he would have been run out of town but I wish we had a chance to actually watch it play out.

I disagree. It's easy to look back and make these arguments but let's not forget the state of the franchise before parcells got here.

It was bad, and I'll always appreciate Parcells bringing respectability, but that team that finished 1-15 would have been a middle of the road team with a decent HC IMO.  Parcells didn't exactly show up with nothing to work with, he just followed a guy who wasn't NFL HC material.

Honestly not sure how I feel when taking long-term in to consideration though.  He had a couple of drafts that make Idzik look like Ozzie Newsome. 

He did play a 3rd year free agent named Tony Romo in all 16 games . And  Simms was  in his 3rd year as a starter when he moved from DC to HC. Suspect had he seen Manning in camp next to  overpaid Neil O'Donnell, he starts Manning. But we'll never know. 

Parcells hatred of overpaid Neil O'Donnell was a big problem with that 1997 team.  O'Donnell was an overpaid but adequate QB.  Parcells loved keeping QBs on their toes and kept trying to trot Glenn Foley out there. 

Did he go to the Pats and say I'll be the HC for just 3 years?? He left because he wanted HC/GM control that Hess would give him..

It's just odd.  Bledsoe developed rather quickly, and Parcells had success with him.  I know Parcells only stayed 3 years, but I didn't remember if that was the plan in advance, or if he just burned out that quick.  Let's not forget, if he didn't luck into Vinny for a year, he would have had no QB, he was going to go with Foley.

I also wonder if Parcells didn't leave because he knew he had a bad cap situation on his hands, and he knew he didn't have a healthy QB going forward.

It's just odd.  Bledsoe developed rather quickly, and Parcells had success with him.  I know Parcells only stayed 3 years, but I didn't remember if that was the plan in advance, or if he just burned out that quick.  Let's not forget, if he didn't luck into Vinny for a year, he would have had no QB, he was going to go with Foley.

I also wonder if Parcells didn't leave because he knew he had a bad cap situation on his hands, and he knew he didn't have a healthy QB going forward.

You don't remember that BB was supposed to be the HC when the Tuna left after 3 years?? Hess even gave BB a million bucks in the deal..

You don't remember that BB was supposed to be the HC when the Tuna left after 3 years?? Hess even gave BB a million bucks in the deal..

I knew BB was supposed to take over right after Parcells left, I didn't know if it was a specific time period.

Looking back, that whole deal was odd.  How many coaches turn themselves into a lame duck intentionally?  Plus the # of picks we gave up, a 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I knew BB was supposed to take over right after Parcells left, I didn't know if it was a specific time period.

Looking back, that whole deal was odd.  How many coaches turn themselves into a lame duck intentionally?  Plus the # of picks we gave up, a 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Yes it was a 3 year commitment by Parcells with BB as his replacement..The short term of his stay had a big impacts on how he used or gave up as you said about picks..

Yes it was a 3 year commitment by Parcells with BB as his replacement..The short term of his stay had a big impacts on how he used or gave up as you said about picks..

Considering that Belichick was on the street when Parcells hired him and he had to take a DC job--something even your boy Rex didn't have to do--I'm finding this new strand of argument that says Belichick was a huge loss greatly amusing. 

Heard Gary Myers again talking about some of the tidbits from his book.

Mentioned again how all Archie Manning wanted from Parcells was a promise that he'd take Peyton number one overall but BP wouldn't commit so he told him to go back to school.

Then repeated the story about the scout who was begging Parcells to take Brady in the 5th round but he refused.

Combine that with Parcells hanging around and essentially chasing Belichick off to New England.

Thoughts?

Parcells was a disaster far worse than Rex. INtead of Manning Belicheat, we got Pennington Herm Edwards... Yeah, 1998 was a great season, but so was 2010

**** him

I'm guessing you were HS/college aged around that time Tom....I give you a pass for not being able to recall who was on that roster.

I was simply celebrating the discovery of how consistently lucid your coaching hot takes have been lo these thirty years or so.

Archived